How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-10-2008
VSFS 2009!

I love the design but it looks like a normal laptop now I liked the signature white Macbook!

15-10-2008
fashion insider

They are still selling the white but do not know if it's to stay in production together with this ones or it's just stock they have, maybe they will continue and it will become something like the Ipod classic.

Well the inside to me also looks like a normal laptop but the computer in itself it's VERY Apple.

15-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

I think if you saw these in person, they would definitely not look like other laptops (in terms of the mousepad and such) and what sets them apart as well, is their lightness. That's what I'm most excited about. I travel a lot and take my laptop everywhere and so the ability to lug it around is essential

15-10-2008
backstage pass

still overpriced...

15-10-2008
tfs star

I also prefer my white one, yay!

15-10-2008
backstage pass

I think the new macbook is kind of like a designer garment - you can buy a cheap substitute, but the beauty lies in the quality, materials and most important: the details.

15-10-2008
Stitch:the Hand

i agree meg. perhaps because of the glossy black bit surrounding the screen it may lead one to deem it similar but i still see many attributes that are very distinguishing compared with others. most importantly,like all of their macs have been,this one is still very simple,light and unfussy in design.

i also like the fact that unlike many computers on the market these ones are made from recycled materials such as the aluminum and the glass for the trackpad. completely innovative for technology.

15-10-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
I think the new macbook is kind of like a designer garment - you can buy a cheap substitute, but the beauty lies in the quality, materials and most important: the details.
Not really. Apples are for snobs and ppl who like things that look pretty, are extraordinarily easy to use, and like to pay ppl to fix things for them (most consumers willing to spend the money). And i'm not slamming anyone--because i like things that look pretty, are streamlined, and lightweight which is why i like the 13'' macbooks...but when it comes to specs you overpay with Apple.

Last edited by lesypersound; 15-10-2008 at 04:47 PM.
15-10-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesypersound View Post
Not really. Apples are for snobs and ppl who like things that look pretty, are extraordinarily easy to use, and like to pay ppl to fix things for them (most consumers willing to spend the money). And i'm not slamming anyone--because i like things that look pretty, are streamlined, and lightweight which is why i like the 13'' macbooks...but when it comes to specs you overpay with Apple.
That's so not true...

15-10-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesypersound View Post
Not really. Apples are for snobs and ppl who like things that look pretty, are extraordinarily easy to use, and like to pay ppl to fix things for them (most consumers willing to spend the money). And i'm not slamming anyone--because i like things that look pretty, are streamlined, and lightweight which is why i like the 13'' macbooks...but when it comes to quality you overpay with Apple.
ok.
Snobs? If that means people who are willing to pay for design, quality and usability then yes...
People who like things that are pretty? Yes, both the streamlined industrial design and the streamline of OSX is a factor.
Extraordinarily easy to use? Yes please, time is money and the less time I have to spend fixing problems then that is great
Pay ppl to fix things for them? Doesn't really get that one, except hardware-issues mac issues are pretty easy to fix and you'll get great (free) help from the apple-community (hehe).

15-10-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
ok.
Snobs? If that means people who are willing to pay for design, quality and usability then yes...
People who like things that are pretty? Yes, both the streamlined industrial design and the streamline of OSX is a factor.
Extraordinarily easy to use? Yes please, time is money and the less time I have to spend fixing problems then that is great
Pay ppl to fix things for them? Doesn't really get that one, except hardware-issues mac issues are pretty easy to fix and you'll get great (free) help from the apple-community (hehe).
I agree and I actually think it's he first time in my life that someone gives as a negative reason for not buying a computer being "extraordinarily easy to use" , I also do not understand that one about fixing things, Apple computers are Known for their reliability, I still have in Working order a 10 year old Mac and I never needed to take it To the Apple Store. I guess that was one of the main reasons people give for buying a Mac.

Yes you pay for an Apple but they also do not devalued, they work with the best system in the world and as a bonus they are absolutely beautiful, I just love my computers, expensive yes, overpriced no.

And since I do not play any sort of computer games, to me they are almost flawless. I'm a total Mac evangelist.

15-10-2008
Stitch:the Hand

snob?? not really,deary. i used a pc for years,bought a ibook in 2002,modem and processer were screwed up because my phone wire was fried during a lightening storm and had to go back to a pc. i have had nothing BUT stress in the years since. can't download anything without bluescreens,crashes,stalling etc.etc. and yes,its hideous.

never in the four years i used my mac did i have any of such problems till nature decided it would take it away. okay,i'm such a snob. so what i like aesthetically pleasing objects....these things are part of our enviroments....our personalities...just the same as anything else we use on a daily basis.

also,some of us deal with stress and fuss in our other areas of life,heaven knows,we don't need it from a notebook computer.

15-10-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
snob?? not really,deary. i used a pc for years,bought a ibook in 2002,modem and processer were screwed up because my phone wire was fried during a lightening storm and had to go back to a pc. i have had nothing BUT stress in the years since. can't download anything without bluescreens,crashes,stalling etc.etc. and yes,its hideous.

never in the four years i used my mac did i have any of such problems till nature decided it would take it away. okay,i'm such a snob. so what i like aesthetically pleasing objects....these things are part of our enviroments....our personalities...just the same as anything else we use on a daily basis.

also,some of us deal with stress and fuss in our other areas of life,heaven knows,we don't need it from a notebook computer.

i agree 100%!!!!!

15-10-2008
backstage pass

apparently my post wasn't as easy to understand as i expected. if you read the whole post you'd've seen that i'll probably be buying a macbook for the reasons i gave (easy of use, customer service, sleek design).
BUT really there's quite a number of ppl into mac at the moment who are trendwhores. they buy macbook pro for no reason other than it looks nice and cool (valid reasons), but a lot of those ppl also use their macs as a status symbols and love the exclusivity of 1000$+ computers and love the insinuate all sorts of things about ppl who buy pc laptops. that's what i meant by snobs (ppl who don't give a damn about specs yet preach about how cheap/tacky PC users are)--and the post above the one y'all are flaming hints at this superiority complex some mac users have which i find, frankly, really annoying.

15-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

I agree with what you say, it has become a label, though I would argue that it's incredibly unique in that it is viewed as a status symbol and yet incredibly accessible to a wide variety of income levels (I'm not saying they are cheap, quite the opposite but rather that people from across a wide variety of income levels own at least one product) but this wide access does not diminish the way the "exclusivity" of the product. Like one poster said in this thread, that it was no longer exclusive and thus they weren't interested, I would say that's an anomaly.

That said, I don't think those who disagreed with what you said had any sort of "complex", it was just a miscommunication.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook