How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
15-10-2008
  166
V.I.P.
 
helmut.newton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,739
Why do most graphics designers/photographers/artists etc all use Apple computers???

__________________
http://l-amateur.blogspot.com.au/
My Illustrations: Updated August 3rd, Louis Vuitton Comic Featuring Charlotte Gainsbourg
  Reply With Quote
 
15-10-2008
  167
front row
 
Miuccia79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seoul/Montreal
Gender: femme
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Why do most graphics designers/photographers/artists etc all use Apple computers???
i think many programs to work in graphic design/photography work better or are designed for Macs.

i used to work in television production, and some programs only worked on Mac.

the graphics are much clearer, too.

  Reply With Quote
16-10-2008
  168
backstage pass
 
ElectricAlyce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norway
Gender: homme
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Why do most graphics designers/photographers/artists etc all use Apple computers???
Well, it's
a)History. Apple have a better history with graphic design, they were the first to have the applications for it, small things like that when Apple licenced Helvetica, Microsoft made a fugly copy, a bit disrespectful.
b)Some great built-in applications such as colorpicker, preview, quick-look etc.
c)designers/artists are very visual people (of course), and therefore works better in a designed enviroment.
d)most important: graphic design/photo/visual arts are often heavy programs (photoshopping a banner isn't, photoshopping an A2 poster in 300 dpi is), and you deal with things that needs to be saved often not to lose work. Therefore it's very annoying to work on a Windows computer where things crashes more often that not (not to say that a mac never crashes, but it's rarely). Lastly, designers works ALOT on the computer, so if time is money, then an apple computer is cheaper than a pair of socks from H&M. No driver-installing, no viruscheck, no defrag, it's a lot more efficient.

And, as Scott said, there is enough stress to deal with already. You don't want to sit banging your head because the color on the pantone-swatch doesn't print correctly AND have a bluescreen at the same time ;D

__________________
POUT! IT'S THE APOCALYPSE
fashionartmusicsexphotographyinspirirationyummie-tumblr
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2008
  169
V.I.P.
 
helmut.newton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,739
^^^ Oh thanks for the info!!!

Yes, I try to explain why I want to invest in a MAC and people accuse me of being 'snobby' and 'trendy' but I try to explain its the best for photo editing and photography in general.

__________________
http://l-amateur.blogspot.com.au/
My Illustrations: Updated August 3rd, Louis Vuitton Comic Featuring Charlotte Gainsbourg
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2008
  170
fashion insider
 
Les_Sucettes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesypersound View Post
apparently my post wasn't as easy to understand as i expected. if you read the whole post you'd've seen that i'll probably be buying a macbook for the reasons i gave (easy of use, customer service, sleek design).
BUT really there's quite a number of ppl into mac at the moment who are trendwhores. they buy macbook pro for no reason other than it looks nice and cool (valid reasons), but a lot of those ppl also use their macs as a status symbols and love the exclusivity of 1000$+ computers and love the insinuate all sorts of things about ppl who buy pc laptops. that's what i meant by snobs (ppl who don't give a damn about specs yet preach about how cheap/tacky PC users are)--and the post above the one y'all are flaming hints at this superiority complex some mac users have which i find, frankly, really annoying.
Well but really who cares about the snobs? Or the trendwhores or whatever, yes no one can deny that some people buy them because they want to own the brand, but the fact is, this computers are the best in the market and those people, no matter why they bought them even if it's all for the wrong reasons, will own the best computer around, it's not some empty "trendy" thing.

  Reply With Quote
16-10-2008
  171
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,885
okay,i understand what you mean,lesypersound,and i don't disagree there are people who buy and own macs specifically for superficial reasons. but i do think you came across rather too general. especially when most people are actually giving valid opinions about them,of course we're going to take something like that as insult.

  Reply With Quote
17-10-2008
  172
tfs star
 
kuli_trendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
^^^ Oh thanks for the info!!!

Yes, I try to explain why I want to invest in a MAC and people accuse me of being 'snobby' and 'trendy' but I try to explain its the best for photo editing and photography in general.
yeah i agree with you HELMUT, some people still think that "using Mac you are rich people or so Gadget or so in fashion of technology". cause in our lives we are still depends with Microsoft. and fewer people using Mac for their routines.

  Reply With Quote
18-10-2008
  173
front row
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York, NY
Gender: femme
Posts: 427
my macbook pro is my life. its the most amazing thing ever to be invented. haha but maybe i say that bc im a graphic designer

  Reply With Quote
19-10-2008
  174
backstage pass
 
unplugged66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Gender: homme
Posts: 817
I just got a Macbook about two weeks ago. I didn't like it at first since it was so different from Windows, but now I love it so much. Best thing ever. Lol @ the comment about artist and photographers all having Macs, it's so true.

  Reply With Quote
20-10-2008
  175
V.I.P.
 
eternitygoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,032
Quote:
Exactly! Who cares about exclusivity when buying a computer? This are seriously the best computers in the world.
I care about how it looks and what it says about me. If I have something that's super chic, well it's going to say that I have good taste.

But when every dog and cat has the same super chic item, it no longer reflects the taste level of the owner.

I don't want to walk around with the same computer as a guy who dresses like he just got out of bed. I want to be able to whip out my laptop at Starbucks and be like "My computer PAWNS all of yours."

Immature, I know.

__________________
Curiosity killed the cat...

But satisfaction brought it back
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2008
  176
front row
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York, NY
Gender: femme
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged66 View Post
I just got a Macbook about two weeks ago. I didn't like it at first since it was so different from Windows, but now I love it so much. Best thing ever. Lol @ the comment about artist and photographers all having Macs, it's so true.
omgosh, you should trade it in for the new one that just came out like 2 days ago!

  Reply With Quote
20-10-2008
  177
front row
 
SHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgyal View Post
omgosh, you should trade it in for the new one that just came out like 2 days ago!
I love the new ones, they wont discolour and they screen and backlight is awesome only thing is my white macbook stand out more now as most laptops are silver heeehe:p

everyone at my university has one, so much so that us freshers are buying them up (apart from me who bought one in feb!)

  Reply With Quote
20-10-2008
  178
fashion insider
 
Les_Sucettes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
I care about how it looks and what it says about me. If I have something that's super chic, well it's going to say that I have good taste.

But when every dog and cat has the same super chic item, it no longer reflects the taste level of the owner.

I don't want to walk around with the same computer as a guy who dresses like he just got out of bed. I want to be able to whip out my laptop at Starbucks and be like "My computer PAWNS all of yours."

Immature, I know.
Well I have to say i admire your honesty. And If you do not need the best computer in the market to work with, your reason for buying them or another one is as good as others. Lots of people I know own a Mac but that's because lots people I know work in the graphic industry and this computers are fundamental. So to me their looks is a bonus, they are indeed the best looking computers around, but exclusivity was and is the last thing on my mind.

  Reply With Quote
20-10-2008
  179
Meg
inspired contemplation
 
Meg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London by way of North America
Gender: femme
Posts: 17,064
I agree, if you are buying something based solely on aesthetics, why not be honest about it. However, I disagree with your line of reasoning which says that an objects style is based entirely on it's exclusivity (as opposed to looks), or rather, the "chicness" of an object diminishes as more and more people consume it. If thats how you determine what you like, then fair enough, but I prefer judging an object solely on its merits. Whether or not other people possess it does not add or take away from its aesthetic value.

  Reply With Quote
20-10-2008
  180
V.I.P.
 
eternitygoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,032
Quote:
However, I disagree with your line of reasoning which says that an objects style is based entirely on it's exclusivity (as opposed to looks), or rather, the "chicness" of an object diminishes as more and more people consume it. If thats how you determine what you like, then fair enough, but I prefer judging an object solely on its merits. Whether or not other people possess it does not add or take away from its aesthetic value.
I'm not arguing about the item's "style". I'm more or less arguing about it's "desirability". No matter how "chic" an item is, if loads of people have it, it lessens the item's desirability.

For example, Louis Vuitton bags are aesthetically beautiful, but their appeal, IMO, has gone down the drain now that every tasteless women out there touts them around.

The type of consumer reflects on the image of the item.

__________________
Curiosity killed the cat...

But satisfaction brought it back
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.