How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-10-2008
V.I.P.

Why do most graphics designers/photographers/artists etc all use Apple computers???

15-10-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Why do most graphics designers/photographers/artists etc all use Apple computers???
i think many programs to work in graphic design/photography work better or are designed for Macs.

i used to work in television production, and some programs only worked on Mac.

the graphics are much clearer, too.

16-10-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Well, it's
a)History. Apple have a better history with graphic design, they were the first to have the applications for it, small things like that when Apple licenced Helvetica, Microsoft made a fugly copy, a bit disrespectful.
b)Some great built-in applications such as colorpicker, preview, quick-look etc.
c)designers/artists are very visual people (of course), and therefore works better in a designed enviroment.
d)most important: graphic design/photo/visual arts are often heavy programs (photoshopping a banner isn't, photoshopping an A2 poster in 300 dpi is), and you deal with things that needs to be saved often not to lose work. Therefore it's very annoying to work on a Windows computer where things crashes more often that not (not to say that a mac never crashes, but it's rarely). Lastly, designers works ALOT on the computer, so if time is money, then an apple computer is cheaper than a pair of socks from H&M. No driver-installing, no viruscheck, no defrag, it's a lot more efficient.

And, as Scott said, there is enough stress to deal with already. You don't want to sit banging your head because the color on the pantone-swatch doesn't print correctly AND have a bluescreen at the same time ;D

16-10-2008
V.I.P.

^^^ Oh thanks for the info!!!

Yes, I try to explain why I want to invest in a MAC and people accuse me of being 'snobby' and 'trendy' but I try to explain its the best for photo editing and photography in general.

16-10-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesypersound View Post
apparently my post wasn't as easy to understand as i expected. if you read the whole post you'd've seen that i'll probably be buying a macbook for the reasons i gave (easy of use, customer service, sleek design).
BUT really there's quite a number of ppl into mac at the moment who are trendwhores. they buy macbook pro for no reason other than it looks nice and cool (valid reasons), but a lot of those ppl also use their macs as a status symbols and love the exclusivity of 1000$+ computers and love the insinuate all sorts of things about ppl who buy pc laptops. that's what i meant by snobs (ppl who don't give a damn about specs yet preach about how cheap/tacky PC users are)--and the post above the one y'all are flaming hints at this superiority complex some mac users have which i find, frankly, really annoying.
Well but really who cares about the snobs? Or the trendwhores or whatever, yes no one can deny that some people buy them because they want to own the brand, but the fact is, this computers are the best in the market and those people, no matter why they bought them even if it's all for the wrong reasons, will own the best computer around, it's not some empty "trendy" thing.

16-10-2008
Stitch:the Hand

okay,i understand what you mean,lesypersound,and i don't disagree there are people who buy and own macs specifically for superficial reasons. but i do think you came across rather too general. especially when most people are actually giving valid opinions about them,of course we're going to take something like that as insult.

17-10-2008
tfs star

Quote:
^^^ Oh thanks for the info!!!

Yes, I try to explain why I want to invest in a MAC and people accuse me of being 'snobby' and 'trendy' but I try to explain its the best for photo editing and photography in general.
yeah i agree with you HELMUT, some people still think that "using Mac you are rich people or so Gadget or so in fashion of technology". cause in our lives we are still depends with Microsoft. and fewer people using Mac for their routines.

18-10-2008
front row

my macbook pro is my life. its the most amazing thing ever to be invented. haha but maybe i say that bc im a graphic designer

19-10-2008
backstage pass

I just got a Macbook about two weeks ago. I didn't like it at first since it was so different from Windows, but now I love it so much. Best thing ever. Lol @ the comment about artist and photographers all having Macs, it's so true.

20-10-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Exactly! Who cares about exclusivity when buying a computer? This are seriously the best computers in the world.
I care about how it looks and what it says about me. If I have something that's super chic, well it's going to say that I have good taste.

But when every dog and cat has the same super chic item, it no longer reflects the taste level of the owner.

I don't want to walk around with the same computer as a guy who dresses like he just got out of bed. I want to be able to whip out my laptop at Starbucks and be like "My computer PAWNS all of yours."

Immature, I know.

But satisfaction brought it back
20-10-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged66 View Post
I just got a Macbook about two weeks ago. I didn't like it at first since it was so different from Windows, but now I love it so much. Best thing ever. Lol @ the comment about artist and photographers all having Macs, it's so true.
omgosh, you should trade it in for the new one that just came out like 2 days ago!

20-10-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgyal View Post
omgosh, you should trade it in for the new one that just came out like 2 days ago!
I love the new ones, they wont discolour and they screen and backlight is awesome only thing is my white macbook stand out more now as most laptops are silver heeehe:p

everyone at my university has one, so much so that us freshers are buying them up (apart from me who bought one in feb!)

20-10-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternitygoddess View Post
I care about how it looks and what it says about me. If I have something that's super chic, well it's going to say that I have good taste.

But when every dog and cat has the same super chic item, it no longer reflects the taste level of the owner.

I don't want to walk around with the same computer as a guy who dresses like he just got out of bed. I want to be able to whip out my laptop at Starbucks and be like "My computer PAWNS all of yours."

Immature, I know.
Well I have to say i admire your honesty. And If you do not need the best computer in the market to work with, your reason for buying them or another one is as good as others. Lots of people I know own a Mac but that's because lots people I know work in the graphic industry and this computers are fundamental. So to me their looks is a bonus, they are indeed the best looking computers around, but exclusivity was and is the last thing on my mind.

20-10-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

I agree, if you are buying something based solely on aesthetics, why not be honest about it. However, I disagree with your line of reasoning which says that an objects style is based entirely on it's exclusivity (as opposed to looks), or rather, the "chicness" of an object diminishes as more and more people consume it. If thats how you determine what you like, then fair enough, but I prefer judging an object solely on its merits. Whether or not other people possess it does not add or take away from its aesthetic value.

20-10-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
However, I disagree with your line of reasoning which says that an objects style is based entirely on it's exclusivity (as opposed to looks), or rather, the "chicness" of an object diminishes as more and more people consume it. If thats how you determine what you like, then fair enough, but I prefer judging an object solely on its merits. Whether or not other people possess it does not add or take away from its aesthetic value.
I'm not arguing about the item's "style". I'm more or less arguing about it's "desirability". No matter how "chic" an item is, if loads of people have it, it lessens the item's desirability.

For example, Louis Vuitton bags are aesthetically beautiful, but their appeal, IMO, has gone down the drain now that every tasteless women out there touts them around.

The type of consumer reflects on the image of the item.

But satisfaction brought it back
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook