How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2009
V.I.P.

Arrghh... I hate my laptop big time I have an Acer and was quite happy with it for the first months but now it's just causing troubles. I'd love to buy a Macbook! Of course it's expensive but that doesn't really throw me off - much more I fear the fact, that I'll have troubles with all my programms and also the interent I live in Austria and (of course there are people her with a mac :p but not as many as in the UK or US) somehow I have the feeling we don't really have many stores for all the programms or to contact the people there when I have problems with it.. so I don't really know

04-03-2009
Stitch:the Hand

congrats,meg!!!!!! i feel a bit envious you got the upgraded version though. unfortunately couldn't afford that one but am planning to once i can. the illuminated keypad just sounds so tempting

04-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionturnip View Post
Ok I got a macbook like 1 week ago. & I WANT WANT WANT to love it and rave about it but tbh...I find things kinda backwards on it. Ok, so WHY is there no right button? You have to hit "ctrl" and mouse if you want to create a new document, or open a new tab. There is no 'print screen' button.....you have to hit 'ctrl', 'shft', and '3' or '4' to copy the screen.

if you want to create a new document, you can just press command and N, or if you want to open a new tab in your safari/firefox/etc. you just hit command + T, that's even easier than using a right button

04-03-2009

btw,does anybody have the new safari version? i think its glorious. the tabs are much more refined and sleek and the window view looks much bigger.

06-03-2009
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
B - i think it's the kind of thing that you get used to after a week :p
But in that week, will I throw it at the wall, or out the window? Hopefully the prettiness will counteract the frustration!

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
btw,does anybody have the new safari version? i think its glorious. the tabs are much more refined and sleek and the window view looks much bigger.
I did have the new version but I swiched back to the old version as I was unable to access hotmail and had some issues with msn.
I did like the new grid view of your most accessed sites though, it really puts into perspective the sites you visit the most

windowshopping

Ive been a mac user for five years now, and those of you who are frustrated about more complicated ways of eg. opening new documents, program windows etc. - you just havent found the right shortcuts.

Thing is most mac software uses the same universal codex of shortcuts and you can in most programs operate your mac from your keyboard only.

You command-shift through your open applications, in finder you can hit command+N for a new finder window anytime, and from there you can open all of your apps (Command+O). New documents are command+N or command+T in OpenOffice, close window Command+W.

And the list goes on. You just need to get a hang of it, download a shortcut table from apple and youre set. And the best parts: they are integrated! They work in almost every piece of mac software outthere.

I LOVE being able to keep both my hands on the keyboard, it saves me SO much time during the day.

06-03-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

I received it today! huzzah! The purolater man came bearing my brand new mac. I can tell I am going to be frustrated since, as a life long PC user, a lot of the commands and where to go aren't natural for me at all. But I have enough experience to get around with what I need for the moment. I'm so excited - it's so pretty!

07-03-2009
a hymn to darkness

^ Hi Meg, I recently just purchased a Macbook, too - about two weeks ago, in fact. As a life-long pc user myself, I too was a bit nervous about the transition, but honestly, mac commands are much more simple than pc commands. It's basically all drag and drop... I LOVE IT.

Idk, how I managed without a Mac all these years... lol.

a hymn to darkness

Belowen, I think you should take the plunge...

Idk how legit this is, but the Apple employee who took care of my purchase basically said that macs will be good for at least 10 yrs, unlike pcs which show their true age in 3 yrs. tops. When you add up the costs of buying a top of the line PC every 3 years or so, you actually end up spending less with the Mac overall...

It's just fantastic.... It's so much more than a piece of hardware... it's an experience, in itself...

And the best part - NO VIRUSES!!!!

*** Okay, I'm done being an Apple spokesperson...

Last edited by wheneveriwakeup; 07-03-2009 at 08:31 PM.
07-03-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

yeah I'm slowly getting the hang of it. The one thing I will miss however is OneNote, which was the notetaking software I used for my pc. I downloaded a trial of circusponies (out of the ones for mac, i like their layout the best) and we'll see. But I miss onenote!

08-03-2009

i agree meg. it only took me a mere two or three days to totally get the hang of the whole system set-up on my first so i shouldn't be too worried. that's the one thing apart from most everything else()that apple can really boast. that easy transition from pc to mac.

have you searched through the apple forums about your notes program? perhaps you could query one of those people there to find something suitable.

Last edited by Scott; 08-03-2009 at 01:01 AM.
08-03-2009
windowshopping

Meg, try EverNote or Google Notebook (even though the last ones not updated according to google, its still a great tool.)

08-03-2009
scenester

Does anyone know if there is a paint equivalent on/for mac?

windowshopping

Neeky, If its for photo editing like cropping and resizing, use the website http://www.picnik.com/ Its free, you dont have to register and it lets you save to desktop or upload. Great tool!

If its for doing little drawings, theres Seashore (mac equivalent to Gimp), Pixen and Paintbrush to name a few. Try them out and see what suits you best.

I think Gimp came for mac too, but Im not sure. I use Photoshop and Elements for everything.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook