How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
Some programs you'd need are only available for Windows, as if you enjoy playing games. My fiancé has Windows on her MacBook Pro, mainly for gaming - I would too but I got a older MacBook and crammed with raw-images and working files for graphic projects I only got 2GB free space right now XD

So yeah, windows on a mac can be a really really smart idea, then you got it all - but if you are mainly gonna use Windows as an operating system then you are throwing money out the window for nice industrial design.
"Game persons" should never buy a Mac.
It's better to have a cheap PC on the side than polluting your mac with Windows.

18-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
"Game persons" should never buy a Mac.
It's better to have a cheap PC on the side than polluting your mac with Windows.
exactly, why would you buy a mac if you want to play games?
i love my mac and i would never wanted to have windows running on it.

18-03-2009
Stitch:the Hand

if you're going to use it for windows i would suggest just buying the hp. i mean you're spending a little over 1400-3000$ for macbook,air or pro and that's quite a lot of money if you're using windows mostly. the whole point of making the switch is as such,to switch. but if you have loads of files,apps and such that you absolutely must have,there's the wireless capabilities on the macbook air which allows one to transfer items with the remote and of course as mentioned the bootcamp.

18-03-2009
Stitch:the Hand

and mac has progressed quite a lot since those days of non-support. most,if not all,web sites are able to run on new macs.

18-03-2009
Not Thinking About Time

I love how the windows thing has freaked out all the Mac users including myself. I would just stick with a pc.

Portfolio Last FM
18-03-2009
backstage pass

I don't understand the fuzz, and the "mac purism"-****. If you are a gamer, then na-uh, buy a PC. But if you are, say a graphic designer: you mainly use the mac OS X and are happy with that. But at the side, you want to play some of your favourite games, use an app that you only have for Windows etc. then it's (pardon me) bull**** to say that you can't because you are "polluting" your mac.

I don't like Windows either, that is why I use a mac, because the OS is waaay better. But there are apps and files (!!!) that can not in any way be used by mac (I know there are movie files amongst others) so it's much more convenient to have Windows running on your mac. Windows also under some circumstances run better with a mac than a normal PC so it's pointless to have one of each.

In the beginning when I used mac I became a "fanboy", trying to convert everyone. I've given that up, because there are so many horrible fanboys out there, saying that mac is sooooo much better than windows-computers etc. In my opinion they are, but they aren't worth it for everyone. I think many have one due to either hype or think it's just a status-symbol. If you have a big bulk of disposable income and are more interested in industrial design than horsepower then you are of course free to buy a mac and use Windows on it. Do I advise it? No. But having a machine with both OS X and Windows on it give you endless options when it comes to accessing files and apps, and if you got the HD-space to sacrifice I think it's bullocks to say that you shouldn't because Windows is the big bad wolf.

</rant>

18-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
I don't understand the fuzz, and the "mac purism"-****. If you are a gamer, then na-uh, buy a PC. But if you are, say a graphic designer: you mainly use the mac OS X and are happy with that. But at the side, you want to play some of your favourite games, use an app that you only have for Windows etc. then it's (pardon me) bull**** to say that you can't because you are "polluting" your mac.

I don't like Windows either, that is why I use a mac, because the OS is waaay better. But there are apps and files (!!!) that can not in any way be used by mac (I know there are movie files amongst others) so it's much more convenient to have Windows running on your mac. Windows also under some circumstances run better with a mac than a normal PC so it's pointless to have one of each.

In the beginning when I used mac I became a "fanboy", trying to convert everyone. I've given that up, because there are so many horrible fanboys out there, saying that mac is sooooo much better than windows-computers etc. In my opinion they are, but they aren't worth it for everyone. I think many have one due to either hype or think it's just a status-symbol. If you have a big bulk of disposable income and are more interested in industrial design than horsepower then you are of course free to buy a mac and use Windows on it. Do I advise it? No. But having a machine with both OS X and Windows on it give you endless options when it comes to accessing files and apps, and if you got the HD-space to sacrifice I think it's bullocks to say that you shouldn't because Windows is the big bad wolf.

</rant>
If you are talking about movie files, actually mac can run basically all windows formatted files. VLC is a great programme that can run most files, not to mention you hv plug ins for quicktime

18-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
If you are talking about movie files, actually mac can run basically all windows formatted files. VLC is a great programme that can run most files, not to mention you hv plug ins for quicktime
Not copy-protected windows media files, but yeah, basically everything. I don't have Windows on my mac and I get by purdyfect, I'm just saying there are moments when having Windows can come in handy, that's all.

18-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
I think many have one due to either hype or think it's just a status-symbol.
couldn't have said it better. if it wasn't a kind of status symbol there wouldn't be a thread here :p

18-03-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

Well I disagree. there would still be a thread, seeing how important macbooks are for design software. But I don't disagree with the notion they are a status symbol of sorts.

18-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise1986 View Post
you can either use bootcamp - which is a mac programm that allows you to do a partitioning of your hard drive or there's a program called "parallels desktop".
i used bootcamp and divided my HD. now i have 130 GB for MAC OS and 30 GB for Windows. although now that i' accustomed to MAC OS I'm already thinking about removing windows Windows Vista is more than instable and only causes problems. why would you ruin a macbook with windows :p
There is still Windows XP :p

Plus, I am used to Windows. MAC OS would be foreign to me.

I don't know why everyone is giving me this snobbery though.

18-03-2009
backstage pass

I might as well stick with HP.

As for people who want gaming laptops, Alienware is one of the best out there, though it costs a few pretty pennies.

18-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitlinC View Post

loads of people say that, because they are used to windows, that's why they are afraid of switching to a mac.
but to be perfectly honest, it will take you no more than a week to grab the basics.

19-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Well I disagree. there would still be a thread, seeing how important macbooks are for design software. But I don't disagree with the notion they are a status symbol of sorts.
True, macs are still the best for most creatives. The thought that people would buy a MacBook as an accessorie is truly scary

19-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitlinC View Post

i also thought the same at the beginning. now i have my macbook about a year and i would never switch back to windows. the programms are so simple that you get accostumed within a week. the mac has some features i wouldn't want to miss

you can buy a software packate with Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook for MAC. then you have the essential Windows programms

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook