How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-06-2007
scenester

Don't get a Vaio! This analogy that I heard best sums it up:

Vaio: PC disguised as Mac

23-06-2007
backstage pass

Ummm, I've had my viao going on for three years and it works perfectly!

fashion insider

My biggest problem is that Vaio is so incredibly expensive. I love their super portable ones but for 5 grand they don't offer any features good enough for that price. I'm in winter right now so I personally love the heat of the macbook. I have a bit of an issue with my fan right now, it sounds like something is stuck in it so I need to take it in. If you really don't like OS X why don't you just run windows on the macbook?

23-06-2007
trendsetter

I'm planning on ordering one soon but I just had a question: did anyone get a Macbook with this "glossy widescreen display"? The website says "At no extra charge, you can choose a glossy widescreen display that makes graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks." Since it's free, I figure why not, but is there a big difference?

Also, yes, Vaios are ridiculously overpriced. We're on our second one in this house and I personally am not a fan. The first one burnt out and now this one is being eaten alive by viruses so I have to resort to using AOL to not get as many popups.

23-06-2007
V.I.P.

^^ Both of my parents use Vaio and they're very reliable for us anyway... but absolutely: ridiculously overpriced.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
My biggest problem is that Vaio is so incredibly expensive. I love their super portable ones but for 5 grand they don't offer any features good enough for that price. I'm in winter right now so I personally love the heat of the macbook. I have a bit of an issue with my fan right now, it sounds like something is stuck in it so I need to take it in. If you really don't like OS X why don't you just run windows on the macbook?
Talking to me? Maybe I didnt make it clear that I am complaining about HARDWEAR, not software :p Besides it would not make sense to me to own a MB and run Windows on it

fashion icon

i heard that the heat from laptops is not good for your body, and if you put it on your lap for too long, it may give you cancer or something...

i recently got a macbook pro. it doesnt have internet yet so im not that familiar with it. but i used a mac before and it's alright...nothing outstanding. the only reason why i got it is because of the art programs. it seems like art school prefer/require the students to use a mac for the software =T
oh..and the battery run WAY too fast...annoying

anyways..i dont adore apple stuff to begin with. for me..since im a pc user for years, i find mac to be quite annoying sometimes.

randome question! if i buy an ipod nano, when i load songs from itune onto it, does it load ALL my songs from my library or can i pick and choose songs. also, if i plug the ipod to another computer, does it automatically refresh the playlist and result in losing all my songs on the ipod?
i dont know if i should get an ipod..i dont like it, but it may be more convinent since i use a mac

30-06-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by she_said View Post
Talking to me? Maybe I didnt make it clear that I am complaining about HARDWEAR, not software :p Besides it would not make sense to me to own a MB and run Windows on it
a) There's hardly any hardware that doesnt' work on a macbook
b) Why wouldn't it make sense? It's about $2000 cheaper than a vaio with reasonably (if not superior) compared stats.
c) You install a partition so you can run windows and mac OS X, you don't have to choose one or the other. However you can't run OS X properly on a windows machine, hence why some people are making the switch. Windows runs just as well on a macbook, so you're not only getting the looks and performance of the MB but your preferred *shudder* OS. Not saying that OS X is perfect, I just find it much neater and far more stable than XP.

JuneGloom I can't fathom what that website is talking about. The macbook already comes with a glossy widescreen monitor but most people who use macbooks are either industry professionals or work with graphics... The smallest secondary apple screen you can get runs around about $1190, you can get the same size dell monitor for $700. I think the built in display is quite good though although it's rubbish for high end colour work - as are all laptop LCDs....so I have no idea what the whole glossy widescreen dealy is.

Muxu the battery runs too fast? You mean it runs down quickly? I routinely get 4-5 hours battery life out of my macbook for browsing and using MSN. If I'm running photoshop and some other programs then I get about 2-3 hours which is normal. Maybe you got a faulty macbook?

30-06-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by she_said View Post
I had a Sony Vaio which I adored and still adore. The motherboard broke 5 weeks ago and I didnt get it repaired (would have cost mit €600) I decided to buy a new notebook. I so loved my Vaio, but since it broke down after only 2,5 weeks and it was impossible to repair it myself I decided to turn my back on Sony.
I bought a black MacBook. It is ok, has nice features, but it isnt as good as my Vaio was. It is a good notebook, but I still think Sony got better ones. Plus after nearly 10 years working with Microsoft I find it rather hard to get along with OS X. I am copying though.. Also, the MacBook gets sooo warm I can hardly balance it on my knees for more than 1 hour. It can be noisy, too. One good thing is its battery power - lasts up to 4 hours.
I like that the harddisc can be reached very easily.
Hopefully this black MacBook will stay for me for a looong time so I do not have to keep thinking I shoulda've bought a Vaio instead. *sigh*
You will get used to the mac believe me

01-07-2007
scenester

Quote:
a) There's hardly any hardware that doesnt' work on a macbook
b) Why wouldn't it make sense? It's about $2000 cheaper than a vaio with reasonably (if not superior) compared stats.
c) You install a partition so you can run windows and mac OS X, you don't have to choose one or the other. However you can't run OS X properly on a windows machine, hence why some people are making the switch. Windows runs just as well on a macbook, so you're not only getting the looks and performance of the MB but your preferred *shudder* OS. Not saying that OS X is perfect, I just find it much neater and far more stable than XP.
I KNOW I can run windows on MAC, I just do not want to because if I wanted to work with Windows I'd bought a PC I bought a MAC because everyone kept raving how stable OS X is. Unfortunately my MAC does not seem to run more stable than Windows does. Several programs on my MAC couldnt be shut down/an unknown error occured, blah.. and my MAC already couldnt be shut down twice in the short time that it's here with me
Besides, a Vaio with the same features costs the same price as my black Macbook. I do not believe the 2000 Dollar comparism. But then again I live in Germany at the moment and do not know/cannot remember NZprices (I used to work in Auckland and I LOVED it!)

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallz View Post
You will get used to the mac believe me
I know.. there are things I love about it, believe it or not

fashion insider

I got a Silver Mac Pro. I haven't used a PC in almost 10 years! I barely know how to use a PC anymore!

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
i heard that the heat from laptops is not good for your body, and if you put it on your lap for too long, it may give you cancer or something...
yikes! i've never heard anything like that before, but my vaio gets extremely hot sometimes that i have to unplug it and let it sit. with both of them, i've never been able to get much use out of it fully charged, they always seem to need to be plugged in or they start to lag.

Quote:
I can't fathom what that website is talking about. The macbook already comes with a glossy widescreen monitor but most people who use macbooks are either industry professionals or work with graphics... The smallest secondary apple screen you can get runs around about $1190, you can get the same size dell monitor for $700. I think the built in display is quite good though although it's rubbish for high end colour work - as are all laptop LCDs....so I have no idea what the whole glossy widescreen dealy is.
thanks anyway! perhaps it's new? i really don't know, i've always had pcs previous to this, but i figure i'll get it anyway, it doesn't sound like it'd be bad to have added on.

02-07-2007
backstage pass

Oh, geez, I'm envious of you all. I'm currently using a craptastic PC. I have to buy a new laptop for college, and you KNOW it's going to be a Mac. Hooray! Especially since Mac can now run all programs for both PC and Mac, so I'll be able to keep PSP8 and all that fun stuff. w00t!

10-07-2007
windowshopping

I'm about to buy a MacBook for college, but I can't decide on which color to get!

black or white??

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook