How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-02-2012
fashion insider

I was all set to buy a mbp (I already have one from work but I need a laptop for personal use) but read that there might be new ones out soon? The information online was really conflicting though, does anyone know?

19-02-2012
fashion insider

well I ended up buying myself a new computer and went for 13" mac pro. It's actually pretty decent. Watched 30 rock and the images weren't distorted, same goes for the youtube videos or the images on tfs. And it's definitely worth buying a mac. My brother is a die hard apple fan and waiting for his to come through the mail, we had fun going through my computer for 3hours and playing around with all the pages, programs etc.

tfs star

My macbook is over 4 years old now and it's still going....I'm going to wait a few months and get the new redesigned macbook pro/air combination that they're rumoured to be bringing out.

Intel releases the new Ivy Bridge processors around April time which are almost guaranteed to be in it, so any time after that is when it's likely to come out. Personally I think if you can wait I wouldn't buy one now, I think the redesign will be fairly significant.

Last edited by *k.a.t.e*; 19-02-2012 at 05:43 AM.
19-02-2012
fashion elite

^^^ If you can wait a few months then do so, can't hurt. This is speculation but probably wait until middle of the year when they start selling Mountain Lion, the new OS system. In my head it makes sense for them to sell new model around the same time as new software.

29-05-2012
windowshopping

I just got mine a year ago when I started University. I have never had any problems with that (just downloading a couple of apps as I need the Lion version, but I'm waiting for the Lion Mountain), and whenever I need to use a program on Windows, I just switch. Not to mention I really find it an accessory , as I'm always changing his cover (and its case)

Some Like It Hot

Does anyone know when they'll be releasing a new design ? because I'm holding off upgrading so I can get the newer one.

tfs star

^ June 11th, they're holding a keynote at WWDC in which it's pretty certain they'll announce them.

tfs star

So the new one is out....what does everyone think of the new MBP Retina design?

Personally I think it's really nice and looks SO thin. I'll be purchasing one in the next couple of weeks!

fashion icon

^ If it's going to be significantly lighter, then my sister is gonna be so pissed. She just got a Macbook Pro a few months ago and she's complaining about how heavy it is lugging it to school. She wants to trade me for my Macbook Air. And I'm like, 'b!tch, please'

fashion insider

I wish they'd updated the 13" though. Even though it's lighter I'm not sure I was a 15" mbp :/

trendsetter

I'm dissapointed the new MBP Retina is without CD/DVD drive and it doesn't come in 17'' which I use.
Even the Retina screen resolution is not supported by most programs, so it's pretty useless.Thank you, but I will stick with the old one.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
17-06-2012
tfs star

I just ordered the retina display base model today. I currently have a 13" white MacBook from 2007 so it will be HUGE improvement! I don't need a CD drive or any of the ports they got rid of, and I was going to probably upgrade to a 15" even if they hadn't brought out retina.

fashion insider

So NONE of the new models contain a CD/DVD drive? It's like the drive is becoming obsolete in Apple laptops...

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieda View Post
So NONE of the new models contain a CD/DVD drive? It's like the drive is becoming obsolete in Apple laptops...
The updated 'old' style MacBook Pros (13" and 15") still have the CD drive in, it's just the Air and the new Retina MBP that don't have them in.

I feel by this time next year though they'll be phasing them out altogether - personally it doesn't bother me, I plan on buying an external one I just can just plug in for the few occasions when I want to rip DVDs to my computer. It's not something I need all the time.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieda View Post
Yes, as *k.a.t.e* said, only the new thin ones are drive-less. I'm not bothered by lack of it either, haven't used them in... well, years...
I like how Apple cleans up things, slowly getting rid of disc drives, hard drives and other legacy (or soon-to-be legacy) stuff.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook