How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-01-2008
front row

^ No, Macs doesn't get any virus/spyware nuisances. Only PCs. Both of my HP computers had those annoying spyware, but not on my Mac!

29-01-2008
backstage pass

Anyone got the new MacBook Air yet??
What r ur thoughts on it? is it worth buying?

29-01-2008
front row

^ I want one lol! But the Macbook Air doesn't have a CD/DVD Superdrive or anything of the sort, so you have to use remote disc where you use another computer's disc drive to connect with your MBA wirelessly. That's the only thing that I don't like about Macbook Air, and yeah the price tag too.

30-01-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocodolce View Post
thats what i want to ask too! i heard its pre-ordering now in euro....

30-01-2008
V.I.P.

*SOB* I want the white back. These people are bastards. And in terms of the Vaio discussion, Vaios are awful. I don't know anyone whose Vaios have busted. Mine included. They aren't sturdy - and that is not even getting into the specs.

30-01-2008
V.I.P.

That would be *haven't* not have.

01-02-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocodolce View Post
theres a lot I really don't like about the MacBook Air. It's not a lifeline computer like all other macs are. It has the memory of an iPod which is ridiculous quite frankly! The processor is pathetic. It has no built in modem and with only one usb port will make internet use almost impossible. I think that the one USB port will become very, very limiting. You'll need a USB hub to make any decent use out of it, plus a headphone adapter, ethernet adaptor and lord knows what else. I just don't think it is just as portable as the marketing is making it out to be. and don't get me wrong - it is BEAUTIFUL! but thats as far as it goes...for me anyway!

where did all the rumours about the white macbook going away come from? I got my macbook at christmas this year, with Leopard and mine is a cute whitey and I have a friend who works in Apple part time and he told me it aint going anywhere!

03-02-2008
trendsetter

^I agree about the MacBook Air. It's a very expensive toy. I considered it briefly until I read through the specs on it, and would much rather just get an ipod touch if I wanted to send a couple emails/look at a few messageboards etc.

Anyway, I'm in desperate need of a new laptop. Have had a Thinkpad for about 5 or 6 years (I forgot how old it was!). Its incredibly slow at this point and is terminally ill with spyware and viruses even though I'm doing the best I can w/updating Windows and spyware stuff. I do like photography and want to really get into it as a hobby. I want to be able to scan and do basic editing on various slide, medium format and just lowend digital photos I take so was looking at Mac. Its worth it to me to get a better graphics card and extras.

So I'm really interested in the Macbook Pro but all the horror stories are getting to me: burning hot temperatures, swollen batteries and worst of all electrical shocks and MagSafe melting and fraying! I'm actually scared of it, lol. Also, I tend to burn cds and watch DVDs on my laptop a lot. I heard the optical drive is not so good on these?

Anyone own a recently purchased MBP and have these issues been addressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon View Post
*SOB* I want the white back. These people are bastards. And in terms of the Vaio discussion, Vaios are awful. I don't know anyone whose Vaios have busted. Mine included. They aren't sturdy - and that is not even getting into the specs.
My mother has a Vaio and its perfect for her and extremely portable and light. I've also dropped it (she was NOT happy) and pulled out the powercord, and done god knows what else and its still plugging along. I guess it depends on models and what you need your laptop for because there are plenty of awful computers in any brand. I was though, looking at the Vaio FZ series which of course comes loaded with a lot more than the MBP and is almost half as cheap. Ah, I'm so confused!

Last edited by lollicandy; 03-02-2008 at 10:21 PM.
06-02-2008
scenester

All the students at my school are required to get a Macbook once enrolled. I'm so happy for it! I've had mine for over a half year now and it's fantastic.

07-02-2008
scenester

Has anyone w/ the macbook had prob w/ it with the overlay around the keyboard chipping off??? I've only had mine for a couple of months

08-02-2008
fashion elite

^I know a lot of people who have had that problem. I just got a MacBook, because my Powerbook conspicuously died, and I have to say that its pretty obvious that while the computer is quality, the casing is clearly mass-produced for look not longevity.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture View Post
^I know a lot of people who have had that problem. I just got a MacBook, because my Powerbook conspicuously died, and I have to say that its pretty obvious that while the computer is quality, the casing is clearly mass-produced for look not longevity.
i agree the casing plastic peels off.

15-02-2008
trendsetter

Well I answered my own question by just ordering a Macbook Pro, lol. :p

I ended up online late last night, and found the MBP section of refurbs on the Apple Store and the discount was enough to make up my mind for the most part. I am horribly indecisive so this was really bizarre for me. The next morning I was so po'ed with myself for not just 'doing it' already, I jumped out of bed and couldn't even really see straight but just went online and bought it.

I'm so excited to get it now! Hopefully the Mag Safe won't melt and my new Touch and MBP will get along. Now I need a scanner, some software, new camera....it just never ends.

15-02-2008
windowshopping

I've had my Macbook Pro for about two years now and it grew on me slowly overtime. I was one of those people who hate changes, so at first I regretted switching over to Mac from PC.

But now, like someone said before me, it's literally my life line. I take it anywhere, although it's a tad bit too big for me (I'm tiny and my mbp is the 15inch one) but I absolutely adore the simplicity and functionality of Macs

26-02-2008
rising star

My keyboard keys on my PowerBook G4 have faded badly it's like 2years old & that's the only problem I've had! I too was reluctant to switch from Windows to Mac, but I'd NEVER EVER go back to Windows. The amount of problems i got with Windows - being slow after a while, constant rebooting, stupid virus crap. My Mac runs just as well as when I got it 2years ago. My friends are always getting problems with their windows & slowly but surely, I'm getting them to switch to Macs & boy they are amazed. They're a little more pricey, but you'll still spend less as u don't need virus programmes, repairs etc!! I know windows perform better with games? But that doesn't bother me as i don't use it for that! It does everything i need in a laptop, but is a million times more reliable than windows. People are foolish if they just get sucked into the Bill Gates brand..... Mwahaha

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
macbook