Making Silver Jewelry - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
30-05-2003
backstage pass

I wanted to make some silver jewelry for myself, but no idea where to get the silver (or how to shape/cut it, etc) - where the heck do you buy it? I'm not looking for mass quantity, just some for myself. Anyone have any information?

Thanks in advance!

30-05-2003
Vision of Paradise

i think sometimes its melted than molded into casts... but what type of style are you thinking/ wire? chain? some stuff is available thru jewlerly/ bead shops.

backstage pass

I'm not thinking wire or chain, I want solid silver. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to 'order' the shape/design I want or buy the silver and do it at home. Aider-moi!

18-11-2003
rising star

UM.......Well theres only one real way to get silver ( unless you want to make a campfire and melt your moms silverware) You have to buy silver bullion. You can find it online, and it comes in little flat bars (priced from around $15 an ounce, gold is about $400 depending on the Karat, and platinim is like $1200) Not sure if its a good idea to start making it though because the process does require an extreem amount of heat (like 2000 degrees) and if you were to spill some melted silver on yourself id hurt like hell. There are services out there that can make it for you. Try even a mom & pop jewelry store in the area and theyll be happy to help you. Good luck!

19-11-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

I don't know how you do it in the USA but in England the Bank Of England will sell Gold and Silver (you have to fill out a form to buy it).

I have a dozen or so books on making jewellry so I'll see what they say about silver. I know that engraving is an extremely difficult process to do by hand and the more complicated kinds of engraving are best avoided (gold-inlay especially).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jewelry, making, silver