How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-07-2007
front row

I have the D50 and it is a superb camera...I also did the 200 photos in what seemed like the first 30 minutes as well when I first got it

14-08-2007
i'm almost ready..

i'm so glad i've found this thread

i've been thinking seriously about buying this camera.....i'm taking the leap from a compact digital to an SLR and i've heard the nikon D40 is the best.....i've read a lot of reviews online that seem really positive

the kiwi your photos only make me want one more ! they're fabulous (and on a side note: your sister is gorgeous)

the only thing i'm confused about is the range of prices....i'm looking to buy online and from one site to another the cost is varying anywhere from around 600 (AUD) to 900......did you guys buy them online? any suggestions about a reliable site to buy from?.....and what comes with the camera itself?

also, did you guys get a warranty with your D40s?

thanks!

14-08-2007
the crying of humanity

I finally received the chance to view and handle the camera in person today. Like I mentioned in my previous post here, I've been researching the Nikon D40 like mad and, ideally, plan on purchasing it as my next camera. The only feature I'm worried about is the 6.1MP, a downgrade after using my current 10MP camera. I second adorefaith's question: What website/store is best for purchasing this? The whole ranging price situation is confusing me as well.

V.I.P.

megapixel count does not necassarily reflect the quality of the photograph, there are other factors to do with the quality of the optical stuff inside the camera. My friend once had a 6megapixel camera but the photographs were not much better than my 2 megapixel phone camera. Basically you can't use megapixel as an exact guide but have to try each camera.

I bought this version

15-08-2007
Zen
V.I.P.

My first camera was a film camera, Canon AE-1. Used it for many, many, years. I never thought I would get away from it. But then I was seeing this guy who is a freelance photographer who was all into digital SLR's and everything changed for me there. I got really interested in digital and being a baby to this whole digital stuff I researched and decided on a d40. It was perfect because I already knew how to use the manual settings and there wasn't that much difference between the digital and the film. Both are SLR meaning you have the capabilities to use the manual settings and to interchange your lenses. It's compact compared to most SLR cameras, which means it's light weight. There is one negative I will point out. If you already own a SLR camera with several different lenses and you want to keep using those lenses with the d40 you CAN'T! Many lenses for digital cameras you can interchange with most other digital SLR cameras but not with the d40. With the d40 there is no internal focus motor and no mechanical focus drive pin, instead it only has CPU contacts which means it can only Auto Focus with all AF-S and AF-I lenses. Nikon doesn't have many new lenses for the d40. However if lenses aren't high on your list and you don't already own a SLR camera with many lenses then the d40 is a great beginners camera for you. I enjoyed my d40 before I broke it. Now it's just sitting in my camera bag, lonely. I guess I can ship it to Nikon and get the estimate to have them fix it, or give it to someone else and they can have it, to fix it.
Lately I've been looking into the D200. It will surely burn a huge hole in my pocket but I work hard for my money!

Last edited by Zen; 15-08-2007 at 01:57 AM.
15-08-2007
i'm almost ready..

thanks for the review zen - that's very helpful
a photographer friend of mine told me exactly what you said about the lenses but i am most definitely an SLR beginner and have no other SLR cameras so i am not concerned

sorry to hear yours broke....but maybe it's the perfect opportunity to buy that new one you're dreaming of

15-08-2007
& b

i want this camera so bad.

Brooklyn, baby!

Here are some more images I've taken on my D40:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nylonsandcake/

I just LOVE this camera!

15-08-2007
coffee&tv

^ Wow those photos are amazing.
I want this camera now

the crying of humanity

TheKiwi - Stop it, you're making me feel jealous!

Zen
V.I.P.

Thought to share one of mine that I took with the d40 before I broke it.

15-08-2007
i'm almost ready..

you're making me jealous too kiwi

i need this camera!

15-08-2007
& b

omfg.

now i want it more.

that guy has hot legs.

leave me with your Borneo

i just ordered this camera last night - it should be here by Monday. i normally shoot medium and large format but don't have a good quality digital camera that i can carry with me and use all the time. i have a newish Nikon film SLR so i can use the lenses with this camera too. i'm so excited! definitely expect some images next week.

22-01-2008
backstage pass

i think i will buy this camera since all of you have been raving about it and always wanted a DSLR. :p

Just a question, do u think i will need to buy extra lenses or would the one that came with it enough?
If extra lenses are needed, can someone suggest me a particular model?

Thankz

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
d40, nikon