How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-05-2011
fashion elite

Sophisticated cigarettes? Yeah, there's nothing sophisticated or glamorous about black lungs. They should put those pictures alongside their advertising, perhaps that might convince people how bad smoking really is.

19-05-2011
backstage pass

Oh god. How lame, I had hoped they'd get rid of those by now. Can't they find some money to buy back *that* license over 20+ years?

barcode

^ I believe they did when Gucci Group took over. I know they consolidated a lot of YSL's licenses, and I always assumed the old cigarettes were one of them. I could be wrong but I believe this is a new licensing deal.

Last edited by Spike413; 19-05-2011 at 06:18 PM.
19-05-2011
backstage pass

I think they were always around, maybe not. Maybe those were fakes. Could be, given how allegedly popular Ysl cigs always were in Asian market. If they made a new deal then it's even worse Imo, bad enough luxury conglomerates have alcohol brands in their portfolios (different discussion), but cigarettes are very low. And advertising them = even worse. I always thought of cigarette manufacturing as something dirty/ugly/borderline criminal (by ethical definition not legal), something one doesn't want advertise or even associate name with.

V.I.P.

hideous, its being banned in europe and taking advantage in another part of the globe
YSL SHAME ON YOU !

Last edited by LiranYana; 20-05-2011 at 12:56 AM.
20-05-2011
fashion elite

Unbelievable in this day and age.

Trying to make the packaging attractive, what a contrast to what is being proposed in Australia. Debates all year on making it mandatory to have olive green boxes (unattractive colour) on boxes and 80% of box covered in images with the side effects of smoking. Article on this and image of proposed boxes if you're interested

20-05-2011
rising star

i like it
i'll buy it

20-05-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyah View Post
i like it
i'll buy it
i agree. i'm glad everyone gets up and arms about a pack of branded cigarettes when almost every major design house -- from the gorgeous ashtrays at hermes to the obscenely opulent lighters at cartier to the fantastical match stands at ralph lauren to the golden cigar holders from tom ford -- promotes smoking in their own way. also, no one gets lung cancer from smoking a couple of casual cigarettes anymore than anyone gets cirrhosis from a few casual drinks.

addiction in any form is serious and should be treated that way, but let's not mistake a fashionable puff here or there for that.

Last edited by mikeijames; 20-05-2011 at 05:08 AM.
20-05-2011
backstage pass

I'm not sure if other brands selling ashtrays lighters and other stuff promotes smoking per se. They hardly advertise those products as far as I've seen and they are quite common gifts because of the relativity low price, even Hermes ashtrays are cheaper than their frames or agendas or whatever.

barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
i agree. i'm glad everyone gets up and arms about a pack of branded cigarettes when almost every major design house -- from the gorgeous ashtrays at hermes to the obscenely opulent lighters at cartier to the fantastical match stands at ralph lauren to the golden cigar holders from tom ford -- promotes smoking in their own way. also, no one gets lung cancer from smoking a couple of casual cigarettes anymore than anyone gets cirrhosis from a few casual drinks.

addiction in any form is serious and should be treated that way, but let's not mistake a fashionable puff here or there for that.
But here's the main difference, at least for me. The items you mentioned can be considered beautiful from an aesthetic standpoint and would be used as decor as well as for the purpose they were designed to serve. And because any of those items could be considered beautiful as an object they don't automatically do anything to cheapen the name of the brand selling them.

These cigarettes are just a cheap, tacky - not to mention disgusting - way of making a buck...to me at least.

Then again you're speaking more of the promotion of smoking via this product, and I don't disagree with you entirely in that respect. Fashion promotes smoking all the time. I mean, you need look no further than my avatar to see that.

Last edited by Spike413; 20-05-2011 at 11:04 AM.
20-05-2011
fashion insider

I smoke, bad but well, i think this is kind of a licence and some people are making money with YSL name.
BTW, if there is a Chanel bicycle!

20-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Fashion promotes smoking all the time. I mean, you need look no further than my avatar to see that.
or mine

20-05-2011
scenester

ahahah, it's ridiculous i know, but i love the appeal of a beautiful package and beautiful cigarettes. i wish we had them in europe. it's pretentious to smoke ysl but i will definetly try to get one of those beautiful packages if some friend flies to russia.

windowshopping

talk about making smoking look fashionable.

21-05-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

**post edited: reply to a deleted post**

i certainly don't recall anyone getting up in arms when viktor and rolf lent their name to liquor or dior playfully named one of their "addict" beauty products, "IOD."

style.com

Last edited by ultramarine; 28-05-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: off topic discussion
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, accessories, decide, designer, logo, questionable