How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / More Accessories
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2008
V.I.P.

Well I think the problem is that Tiffany's wanted it both ways. They wanted to maintain their high end image and beautiful quality pieces while raking in the money with their silver jewelry for the masses. I can't see how you can have it both ways.

19-06-2008
front row

tiffany has kind of had an arc and i feel they peaked in the period of about 1870-1910. they started by selling pieces made by other makers, nothing vastly different from any other luxury retailer in manhattan; then they began making their own wares and bringing in some fantastically talented designers. their stuff of this period won awards and was often highly avant-garde for the time. then over the course of the 20th century they gradually became more and more commercial; eventually started farming production out to cheaper factories in mexico and italy; and now, their designs are generally boring and their quality is just mediocre i feel (at least for the silver stuff).

circa 1880 tiffany silver jewelry (chatelaine clip). it is beautifully designed and handmade of heavy silver (photo by me):

today's tiffany silver jewelry. it is tacky and mass-produced (tiffany.com):

19-06-2008
tfs star

^ oo do you own that clip?? It's gorgeous!!!! There is just no comparison between those two.

backstage pass

What happened!! it's the same story with every other luxury brand...ugh..once it goes to the masses it's downhill from there. but of course either way I wouldn't be paying for it, but you know what I mean.

19-06-2008
front row

hi, yes, that clip is in my collection. the technique, called "pearling", was inspired by the sea--bubbles, octopi, etc. and used on lots of things like silver baby's cups, vanity accessories, etc. this is a cloak clasp from the same period with similar motifs (photo by me).

the tiffany situation is just really sad to me because way back when the name was really associated with some of the most beautiful items and best designers in the world. i know they have continued to have designer lines, but i think most of it is fairly middling. i guess they had to decide between mass appeal and aesthetic integrity, and they chose the former. some of the gehry stuff is kind of interesting, although even that seems a little commercialized.

19-06-2008
scenester

^those two clips posted above are beautiful, very exquisite !

I went into a Sunglasses Hut store about a few weeks ago especially to check out the Tiffany sunglasses and they had a bunch of different styles for about $850-$900 (not the style in the picture in the first post of the thread).
I thought they were pretty tacky though, not something I would wear even if the price was cheaper..

Last edited by oxanaa; 19-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eyewear, tiffany