2009 : Your Resolutions! - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-01-2009
trendsetter

^Sure, I don't see why not. Our lives are a work in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfairy View Post
^Have you tried those polishes you apply that taste horrible? Cos I never found they worked and grew to like the taste But right now I'm not biting them,I just stopped all of a sudden :-/ They look pretty but they are horrid to type and text with!
I have tried that in the past, and while it worked brilliantly, I gave it up for complicated reasons. I'm rather prone to inducing anhedonia (basically, denying yourself pleasure), so I try to avoid all the little things that might make me fall into that trap.

I think one of the reasons our resolutions often fail is because they take on a form of self-punishment or self-deprivation. And foul-tasting polish is like that. It's not a change that is the result of hard work, effort, or meaningful sacrifice.

28-01-2009
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossoms View Post
can anyone tell me if I can add some more items to my NY resolutions that I wrote down right after New Year? would my list still be eligible to "new year resolutions"?
The year is still new, so you heard it here first ... YES

^ I agree, Gasoline Rainbow ... it seems like women in particular are vulnerable to punishing themselves. I guess what you're basically saying is that it's a negative technique, and you want a positive approach.

I have found what really works for me is to decide at a very deep level that I truly want to make something happen. Sure, there are lots of things we'd all love if there were no effort associated with them But if there is real effort involved, once I make this kind of decision, I stick to my guns.

I've observed something & I don't quite know how to explain it ... but it's like that whole idea of if someone's on a diet and they eat something "wrong," they start beating themselves up and continue to eat more things that are "wrong." I don't get that

Of course it's irrational and counterproductive. But in my mind, the goal is not to be perfect, the goal is to achieve something--healthier eating, reduction, whatever, neither of which requires perfection. It's all a balancing act. I believe that perfection does exist, but in moments. But the whole nature of this planet is imperfection ... if you're not ready for it, every day is a rude awakening

And then there's this part of it, like there's some external entity making rules or demanding perfection The critical voice of Mom, I don't know. There's something there that is puzzling to me ...

Anyway, in my world, I am the judge and jury If a question arises that needs a ruling, I am up to the task. If I fail to do something (and I am making rather minimal progress on one of my resolutions right now ...), it's because I'm not fully committed, and I know it. Sometimes, I think, it's best not to force it, but to wait for that moment of true resolution to arrive, and then pounce upon it

28-01-2009
chat~

i read an article on forming habits
on purpose

it's best to form only one habit at a time
as it doesn't quite interfere as much with your daily life

you do the 'habit' everyday
at the same hour
Remember to pay attention to an activity you do before the habit.
it's a way of reinforcing it
And in a month, it forms...

28-01-2009
#Resist

^ Even 21 days, I think ...

That's a good idea, to anchor it with something else ...

29-01-2009
trendsetter

oh great
cause I feel the need to add some more items!

29-01-2009
little soul

I'm with GasolineRainbow & nails. I don't know what's going to happen with my big resolutions this year...I dream a lot but I'm not sure if the reality is totally in my control In order for me to achieve anything, I have to make smaller, complete-able goals and work from there. At the start of the year I made a long list of resolutions which was more like a to-do list, so I have actually completed quite a few goals...but then there are long running ones which need attention. I picked my nails because I love when someone has beautiful hands and mine are just so but I know I can improve them. I bite them because I'm anxious or bored so I hope that if I can manage to keep my nails & hands pretty, I'll push my boredom into something more useful. I will focus on this & some other small things until I feel confident enough to push for bigger things

This is a very interesting thread, good luck with your goals everyone!

trendsetter

Going vegan is a big thing that has come up recently. Also, I lost a bit of weight and gain some back rather quickly and am feeling a bit pudgy. I need to tone up and then lose some more weight. And take up drinking lots of water again.

windowshopping

style-wise my resolutions are to wear less black & start wearing heels
i would also love to incorporate more girly pieces into my wardrobe, wear more dresses and skirts

29-01-2009
tfs star

Non fashion related: Figure out what to do with myself. Either try to get to finish my Graphic Design BA or figure out if I should bother looking into being a makeup artist. People say that those who don't know what to do with themselves earlier in life are some of the most interesting people, but being 500% sure about what you want makes life a lot easier.

Fashion related: Less settling for whatever I can find around here and try to get to go to some of the consignment shops/thrift places I wanted to check out, especially after finding out about one actually in this county. The way things are recently make me really want to make sure I have more better made clothing. I really wish this fast fashion/throwaway clothing culture hadn't ever started.

29-01-2009
once more, with feeling

Miu Miu, i as well find it helpful to focus on a positive action, like taking up a hobby to avoid biting the fingernails, to be more effective (and less punitive, as Gasoline Rainbow mentioned) than simply resolving on a negative action, not doing something.

My boyfriend and I think we should spend less time on the Internet. But instead of resolving to spend less time, per se, we've resolved to read more often in the evenings or work on our hobbies so that we won't even want to spend time.

front row

I keep telling myself that I will try to be more experimental with my clothes. Just lighten up a bit, let loose, have fun with them. Although, I already stick out in my city. Now that I'm back home, I can wear heels again and not worry about 1) falling on my face on the ice/snow/slush and 2) ruining them with all the salt. I've missed them!

But mainly, I need to get back into shape! There are pieces in my wardrobe I'd love to wear again, but I can't get into them. I weighed myself today, I swear there's something wrong with the scale!! So definitely loosing some weight and toning up.

30-01-2009
windowshopping

style wise - invest in higher quality work clothes to have a more polished, together look... currently sporting button downs and trousers = dull. Need to get some Roland Mouret inspired work dresses.

health wise - join the gym at my work and go each day, eat for my blood type as that seems to work so much better for my body.

work wise - already had a promotion this yr, so want to put 100% into my new role and meet my KPIs each week.

02-03-2009
trendsetter

My 2009 fashion resolution is to buy only items I will actually wear. Not to overbuy. So far I've been following my resolution.

Last edited by Kora; 02-03-2009 at 01:53 AM.
02-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
  • be more independent! no more asking parents and siblings for help say no to help! i need to see if i can survive completely on my own.
just a comment - but I don´t think there is anything wrong with accepting help you should be happy that you have people around you that are willing to help you
though I understand of course that you want to prove to yourself that you can survive on your own, so good luck

13-03-2009
rising star

A new one : to keep my boyfriend. It's hard between us and I know it's often my fault because I'm the kind of person who's never satisfied of anything :-s I must change and be happy with him if I don't want him to leave me as he said the other day he had already thought of it. He didn't, but it's still a little hard, so ...
I must make efforts.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, resolutions