How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-01-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
My resolutions
  • Buy more socks, because I've got way to many singles..
you should declare sock bankruptcy. find a bunch of the same brand+style of sock on sale and buy 20 pairs. then throw away all the ones you have that cant be matched. lifes too short to spend time hunting for sock matches if you ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
lucy- you might find this interesting...
manuel made a lot of elvis presley's clothing...
he's based in nashville..

http://wearitoutmanuel.com/store/ind...dex&cPath=1_12
yup, i'm familiar with him! i also want to stumble upon a Nudie item!!! i've always liked the nudie suit nudie made for gram parsons back in the day!

10-01-2012
front row

1. to invest more in beautifully made chelsea boots. i only have 2 at the moment. but they are the only shoes i want to wear for 8 month of the year. i realize they are classic, timeless, both feminine and masculine, sleek but rugged. i never feel either too dress up or too dress down in it. just the perfect shoes for me, really. forget about other shoes, chealsea boots are the shoe investment for life.
2. to wear more dresses. i'm really not a pant/jeans person, no matter how hard i try. i just find them boring. dresses give more structure to my tiny body. focus on the shape, the waistline, the silhouette. i need some structure to look good. shapeless things will drown me into a sack.
3. to make a little more effort. not to be afraid to make a statement. try not to look too boring or plain. go for a little bit excitement here and there, yet stay comfy and true to myself. i'm a casual dresser, so to dress up a little bit takes some effort. but i do realize wearing a beautiful dress instead of a plain v-neck sweater does makes me a happier person in the end of the day.

more chelsea boots, more...

pic: yoox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44351262sf_12_a.jpg (9.6 KB, 5 views)

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
you should declare sock bankruptcy. find a bunch of the same brand+style of sock on sale and buy 20 pairs. then throw away all the ones you have that cant be matched. lifes too short to spend time hunting for sock matches if you ask me!
That's exactly what I'm gonna do
Only bad thing is that I like colouren and printed socks. So I might have to keep a few of those..

14-01-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by newprincesita View Post
As always, great post Softgrey!

This 2012 I´m going to try to keep my wardrobe MINIMAL, that is resist the temptation to add more of the same thing. This works like this, when I like something I tend to get too much items more or less identical. Bottom line, I end up bored of the look I started loving.
So I´m telling myself: You already HAVE a piece like this, wear it!!

Of course it´s only logical to have some rotation on clothing but sometimes too much is a waste of money and also, unnecesary, because you can, yes I CAN wear the same thing many times in different ways. I really don´t need 5 jeans sooooo similar I can only discern. One or two is just enough.

So, my resolution is RESISTING the urge of buying lots of similar pieces. And also, don´t be afraid to repeat clothes, nobody cares, nobody notices. If I like something, why "save" it why wear another one, similar, but not the same.

I have a lot of clothes I like, and I gotta urge myself to add only when there´s a gap, and not to hoard clothes that are more or less the same.
It´s like I fear I´ll never find any other piece like that, a fear that´s ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, because every year million of clothes are thrown to the market. Only once in a while you can be sure that an item is unique and it´s wortwhile to lay hands on an extra.
i do the same thing...totally illogical i know....this is my resolution as well

14-01-2012
windowshopping

Only wear what fits.

I need to pay less attention to the size tag and if I need to, swallow my pride and go up a size. Oh, and I need to remember to take things to the dry cleaner (and pick them up)

rising star

To say no to polyester! It's not good value if you iron through it. Good quality investment pieces give me so much more confidence in day to day life.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
Sock bankruptcy I've started making a toy for my dog out of my worn-out and castoff socks ... just tying them together with ribbon. But somehow I gather it doesn't have the appeal of my real socks Possibly it was a mistake to wash the socks first

1) Invest in my cold weather wardrobe for a change
2) More Lanvin
3) Something Alaia
4) Must replace black oxford flats

19-01-2012
backstage pass

This year, I want to consume far less fashion media ... particularly blogs, tumblrs, street style pictures, that sort of thing. It sounds weird, but I found I suffered a bit of inspiration overload last year, and I ended up for some reason not being able to distinguish between the things I admire and the things that are truly my style. In addition, seeing items again and again made me covet things that I didn't truly need. I recently spent a few months mostly "offline", and I found I naturally gravitated back to a style that I had several years ago. I'm hoping to keep that up this year.

19-01-2012
front row

My goal is to buy a few really nice pieces, and not spend the money on many cheap iterations of the same clothing. We'll see what kind of success 2012 brings in this respect!

22-01-2012
front row

Invest in quality pieces even if i come a across a supercool high street item. Damn you h&m...

in the mood for love

~ Get more and interesting pieces for winter. I have plenty of things for warm weather but during winter I seem to be stuck with a few cardigans and a couple of coats.

~ Wear heels more. I love buying them but I'm quite lazy when it comes to wearing them. That said, I should buy more 3 and not 4 inch heels, they're just so much more manageable.

~ Have more fun with clothes. In the last couple of years my style got a bit boring and plain, I need to fix that.

~ Pay attention to cleaning instructions of a garment when shopping. I bought a few things that were dry clean only when I really shouldn't have.

~ Get more good quality underwear.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist10 View Post
This year, I want to consume far less fashion media ... particularly blogs, tumblrs, street style pictures, that sort of thing. It sounds weird, but I found I suffered a bit of inspiration overload last year, and I ended up for some reason not being able to distinguish between the things I admire and the things that are truly my style. In addition, seeing items again and again made me covet things that I didn't truly need. I recently spent a few months mostly "offline", and I found I naturally gravitated back to a style that I had several years ago. I'm hoping to keep that up this year.
this is actually really good advice, i should try this too!

30-01-2012
backstage pass

Brilliant thread..

At the moment, my biggest style resolution is to really be careful with what I purchase and to make sure it's not going to sit in my closet for years on end. I have an awful awful habit of purchasing something I think I like and then doubting myself and not returning it, but never wearing it. An endless cycle that must stop!

Also I would like to try and experiment with some colour. Spring is approaching and I guess it's time to let go of the black a little... :p

and I agree completely with what newprincesita said about keeping a minimal wardrobe.

04-02-2012
fashion icon

*Be braver. If I want to wear it,I'm going to,no matter what people might think. I've put this into practice so far this year by clashing prints. Wearing them loud and proud! I think this is my only style resolution for 2012,just to have more confidence to wear what I want.

19-04-2012
rising star

1. learn how to properly accessorize
2. get rid of a lot of my wardrobe that's weighing me down
3. invest. period. (you know, buy what i really really like... don't buy something that's "ok" or ONLY "a great bargain)
4. buy more quality casual items. items that i can walk to the grocery store in but still feel good about.
5. nicer underwear.
6. invest in better hair & makeup product.

but mostly just carefully curate my wardrobe.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, resolutions, style