How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-04-2012
tfs star

I guess mine should be work on getting more spring/summer clothes I would really like to wear. I feel like those seasons need more work than Fall/winter.

13-12-2012
flaunt the imperfection

as the year comes to a close...
i wonder how everyone fared this year with their resolutions...

how'd you all do?
:p

13-12-2012
Soviet Camaro

Gothninjameriskater is still a work in progress!

I did buy some new clothes, but was able to keep spending down better than in recent years.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
tangerine, isnt vision street wear supposed to be making some sort of hipster come back? i used to think the line was cheesy faux skater back in the day - but who knows the brand could ressurect itself in a cool way. so could some other cool skater brands.

here are my style resolutions:

1, like mulletpproof, i need to wear more jewelry. i got my ears pierced for the first time at 24. (i'm a late bloomer, LOL) since then i only wear earrings occasionally. sometimes i dont have time to put them on in the morning before work. i need to make time. this is an easy way to complete my look and look more polished.

2. stop clinging to the same items again and again. too often in the summer time i resort to a "screw it-its too damn hot out-i'm going to wear cutoffs and tanks" sensibility (then again i dont have AC in my hot-as-hell house)

3. wear the designer runway stuff i actually have. otherwise its a terrible waste.

4. this is silly, but i'd like to go vegas or texas and find some sort of western outfit.
here's how i did:

1. yes i bought a lot more jewelry! mostly sterling silver, bronze and one gold plated piece. i also bought a big jewelry box from the container store to house it.

2. i failed miserably on this point. i rewore a lot of my items continuously due to heat/cold extremes. the good news about this is that i am so sick of some of these items that i am ready to donate them.

3. failed on this as well. in fact i bought more runway/designer items. so the ratio to worn vs unworn items has increased.

4. i didnt get a western outfit. and when i did go out west in 2012 i didnt wear anything remotely western. i did buy some feather jewelry with medicine wheels on them however.

and on aside, i was right about vision streetwear making a comeback. opening ceremony carries a logo'ed t shirt with VSW on it.

trendsetter

This year I have bought relatively few clothes and especially shoes.
In the past years I learned that cheap clothes usually don't deliver decent quality so I stopped shopping at H&M and Zara, because their quality got
worse and the prices increased. Because of my relatively small budget I still shop for the highstreet and not designer things, but I can evaluate what is worth buying and what is not.

I bought quite a lot casual and sports clothing because of my current livestyle, and from the more formal clothes I selected the things that I wore
and will be wearing for a longer period, that means I didn't go for trendy but
rather classic pieces in more minimalistic style that I am more and more fond of.

This year I also limited shopping of lingerie, which I have bought too much a year before.

And I am running a list of clothing I buy per season, just that I have an
overview. And I really consider a lot, before I buy/order anything, so all the pieces are worn a lot.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
13-12-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Sock bankruptcy I've started making a toy for my dog out of my worn-out and castoff socks ... just tying them together with ribbon. But somehow I gather it doesn't have the appeal of my real socks Possibly it was a mistake to wash the socks first

1) Invest in my cold weather wardrobe for a change
2) More Lanvin
3) Something Alaia
4) Must replace black oxford flats
1, 2, and 4 accomplished. Didn't find anything Alaia to buy this year.

14-12-2012
backstage pass

Well, I've already dumped %80 of my wardrobe to Goodwill so it's time for an overhaul.

-More crop tops
-more boots, maybe even heeled ones. I need to be more ladylike and grown-up
-no more printed tees
-a better winter wardrobe, lots layering pieces
-only buy what I love

14-12-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
My resolutions:
  • Wearing my dry denim jeans until they are faded to make a personal worn pair of jeans.
  • Wear more bracelets, since I got my new watch I stopped wearing those. I need to get some new ones because the ones I have are mostly cheap crap.
  • Grow my hair.
  • Get a suit.
  • Buy more socks, because I've got way to many singles..
I got three out of five. I got sick of my in between-cut somewhere around june so I went shorter again. And I decided that just a watch is enough, I like the simplicity.

My jeans turned out ok, hope my next pair will have more contrast. I bought a suit in a great deepblue shade for my graduation. And well, turns out the single-sock-issue isn't solved by buying more socks..

14-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
... I'll just continue adding nice quality pieces to my wardrobe that I get a lot of wear out of and make me feel good and I will try not to follow trends or be held back by what other might think about my outfit and look
✔ added a few nice quality pieces to my wardrobe and even wore some of them
✔ definitely didn't follow any trends!
✔ didn't worry about what others think; my style has been way too neutral to provoke any weird reactions anyway

14-12-2012
scenester

- Find "my" tailor
- Stop shopping so much. I've been reading the 4-5 piece/season thread and it's making me want to throw out most of my clothes and not buy more!

16-12-2012
front row

[QUOTE=greengrassia;10131237]
1. to invest more in beautifully made chelsea boots. i only have 2 at the moment. but they are the only shoes i want to wear for 8 month of the year. i realize they are classic, timeless, both feminine and masculine, sleek but rugged. i never feel either too dress up or too dress down in it. just the perfect shoes for me, really. forget about other shoes, chealsea boots are the shoe investment for life.
2. to wear more dresses. i'm really not a pant/jeans person, no matter how hard i try. i just find them boring. dresses give more structure to my tiny body. focus on the shape, the waistline, the silhouette. i need some structure to look good. shapeless things will drown me into a sack.
3. to make a little more effort. not to be afraid to make a statement. try not to look too boring or plain. go for a little bit excitement here and there, yet stay comfy and true to myself. i'm a casual dresser, so to dress up a little bit takes some effort. but i do realize wearing a beautiful dress instead of a plain v-neck sweater does makes me a happier person in the end of the day.

more chelsea boots, more...

1. i have added only one more to my collection, but that seems enough for now. anyway when it becomes too cold i have to stick to my trusted timberland for warmth and protection.

2. gosh, i have gone completely other way around this year i've officially become a pant/jeans person! all i'm wearing during in-between seasons and winter are pants and jeans. i really can't bother with putting dresses and tights on, too much effort and layering really is not my thing especially during winter times. it's all about a warm jumper and a slim pant, an ultra clean silhouette.

3. no, in generally i don't put much effort into my outfit. however during my travels i do manage to snap one or two statement pieces, mainly accessories, to have that little extra "spark". but really i can only carry one statement piece at a time, no more than that. for the rest, i just don't dress up much at all. i like to stay "smart casual", so putting on a blazer, or a silk shirt, that's my way of "getting out of comfort zone"

Last edited by greengrassia; 16-12-2012 at 11:55 AM.

17-12-2012
V.I.P.

None.

I was too ambitious, didn't consider how this year would be 90% devoted to studies and not fashion experimentation. And 2013, for at least the first half of the year, looks like it's going to be the same, I better abstain myself from coming up with things like building something from scratch.

I did incorporate more jewelry (not rings unfortunately), found a decent tote for my laptop and keep a semi-regular workout routine, come to think of it. Perhaps what works for me is not making it too mandatory, esp. as fashion inspiration evolves all the time, I'm too attached to it.

Not Thinking About Time

1. Buy more expensive things and less cheap things, instead of buying 10 things from H&M buy one designer or mid level piece.
2. Get a grown up large handbag instead of carrying canvas totes to my job.
3. Make more of my own clothes, I only made a few things in 2012 and that needs to change.
(also its been about a year since I have used TFS so maybe being on here more could help me keep my resolutions)

Portfolio Last FM
27-12-2012
tfs star

OK, I've never made a style resolution but I think it's about time...

Since moving to Paris, the un-stylishness of people around me (yes, that's le vrai Paris for you) and all my cash and time going into my work has made me less and less inspired fashion-wise.

This is a GINORMOUS pity considering it is a HUGE part of who I am, one of my biggest loves, energizers and inspirations in life, a huge gift from my costume-designer/couturiere mother and artist dad.

My 2013 fashion resolution is simply to have as much fashion-fun as possible on a daily basis. To create and devote time, energy and a budget to it and nurture it and love it. Get back to designing and drawing and sewing again. Maybe if I can even find a way to make it part of my public project, I'll surely be forced to do something about it

28-12-2012
tfs star

1. Actually wear all the furs I have collected over the years. I feel so stupid and wasteful when they just hang in my wardrobe. Might sound morbid, but if I wanted to just pet furs I could have bought a cat instead...

2. Be brave enough to actually buy jeans one size smaller than I fit into in the store. I always chicken out and buy the size that fits there and then and end up with baggy skinny jeans....

3. Buy less stuff! Dear God, I just counted the number of wardrobe additions I made this year

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, resolutions, style