How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-08-2005
Power to the 99%

The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #1
It was mentioned on the French Style! thread that Frenchwomen buy 4-5 good pieces a season. This sounded like a really small number to some of us ... I thought maybe I was close until I went back and counted ... excerpt from what I wrote on that thread ...

I think the key is to buy things you really, really love so you don't get tired of them. Another key is to buy separates so you can mix things up. I shop more this way with both a color and a style theme for each season, but it does take more than 4-5 pieces for me Hang on, I keep detailed records of what I buy ... I can tell you what it was for spring ...

1 bag
1 skirt
1 tee
1 top
1 blouse
1 pair jeans
2 pair capris
1 jacket
3 sweaters
3 pairs of shoes (espadrilles, slides, slingbacks)
1 necklace (gold, pearl, coral)
1 pendant (gold, coral, mother of pearl)
lingerie

OK, so that's lots more than 4-5 ... I suspect either that number includes filler pieces, or has a substantial collection backing it up ...

I didn't get any takers for my request on that thread for a real life example of a seasonal "French" wardrobe, and what exactly does and does not count as one of those 4-5. Thought I'd make a thread for it in hopes of getting a wider audience ...

01-08-2005
slightly dizzy

This 4-5 number is only realistic if you've already built yourself a good, solid, basic wardrobe... If you only need some more clothes for fun and style, sort of.

IMO.

01-08-2005
V.I.P.

Omg thats a season i buy more then that a month .. oops maybe im not cut out for thuis french lark

01-08-2005
Of too many minds

I agree with tott, if you have built up a good warobe, then 4/5 pieces will just be to add some style/change to what you wear every season.
And even then, I suspect that the number is limited to just clothes and does not include accessories or bags/shoes.

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}

02-08-2005
backstage pass

I don't buy things very often. I find that the fewer items I have, the better I know each item and the easier it is to put together an outfit using interesting pieces.

The philosophy is that once you have a basic wardrobe, you can spend a lot of money on a few special clothes. Like, you can buy a fantastic $1000 scarf that you wouldn't otherwise have the money to buy.

By the way, French women do not all buy 4-5 pieces a season. Lame generalization. France has high street shops too, and not just for the tourists.

02-08-2005
front row

Not all French women are chic.
Not all women are chic.

I guess the four /five item wardrobe would work but only if you dress in a classic style.

02-08-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

I buy less than that in a year. Maybe I'm secretly French.

02-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
I buy less than that in a year. Maybe I'm secretly French.
As long as you're not secretly a Frenchwoman

02-08-2005
trendsetter

i love the way people dress in france on ths streets .. on the PRETTY STREETS

oooooooooooh
i miss PARIS

02-08-2005
trendsetter

there are JUST soOO many shops that sell QUALITY clothes even if theyre small designers/ apart form the big names .. you can pick up quality clothing ...from quaint stores .. [getting lost in my memories of france]

02-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Seraphelle, you have a French ID and you seem to be a subscriber to this philosophy ... that's close enough for me

Is it too personal to ask what you've bought so far this calendar year, and what you still plan to buy?

03-08-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
Seraphelle, you have a French ID and you seem to be a subscriber to this philosophy ... that's close enough for me

Is it too personal to ask what you've bought so far this calendar year, and what you still plan to buy?
My ID was actually German

So far this calendar year I have paid for one dress and one pair of shoes. Both were very expensive for me.

I will probably buy another pair of shoes by the end of the year.

I guess this is a bit misleading, though, because I make a lot of my own clothes out of old things I find around my house or in thrift stores.

03-08-2005
windowshopping

I lived in France for a semester and I realize that most French people wear their clothes more than once, it doesn't seem to matter if they wear the same thing 2 days in a row (however, my host mom would often wear the same outfit for a week, which I don't think was quite normal, or sanitary).

Perhaps because they repeat the outfits, they have a few fabulous sets that they wear in constant rotation while in America, we need more clothes because we change everyday and won't do laundry constantly.

Just a hypothesis

03-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreeGirl
I lived in France for a semester and I realize that most French people wear their clothes more than once, it doesn't seem to matter if they wear the same thing 2 days in a row (however, my host mom would often wear the same outfit for a week, which I don't think was quite normal, or sanitary).

Perhaps because they repeat the outfits, they have a few fabulous sets that they wear in constant rotation while in America, we need more clothes because we change everyday and won't do laundry constantly.

Just a hypothesis
Interesting, because I have always been teased for wearing the same thing maybe two days in a row. For work, I never have a lot of clothes, so I would end up wearing the same thing twice a week sometimes.

As long as it was clean, etc, it never mattered to me though I was get funny glances as if it a serious faux paux not to have a sh*t load of clothes in America.

03-08-2005
front row

i like this idea, i dont have a good wardrobe right now, so im going to be following fashionista-ta's footsteps

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, 45, french, piece, wardrobe