The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #10 - Page 12 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

2 Weeks Ago
tfs star

fashionista-ta You are right, I kind of have a colour wheel already and buying more colour would give me more trouble coordinating. Thanks!

I have a few colours that I can't mix or I start scraching myself nervous (crazy, I know!): black and brown, different shades of white, white and ivory,... I get really stressed out, in a very OCD way.

barbaraaa, I love it too, the fit is amazing! That is exactly like I'm styling it now: white button shirt and grey skinny jeans but I would love to wear it more in different ways.

blackcoffee, that styling is what I'm aiming for nowadays but with grey jeans instead of leather pants. It just feels so confined, I would love to try other things. That said, I'm dying to find a good pair of faux leather pants/leggings like those. Every one I had disintegrated FAST.

After having a serious look at my closet, I limited my buys for this year to these:
- A plain white cotton t-shirt;
- Thick black leggings (preferably faux leather);
- Another pair of cigarette/palazzo pants;
- 2 white/ivory/cream button up shirts;
- A cream/ivory heavy knit;
- A black blazer;
- Black low-heeled "babies" (I have a Tarlov cyst that gives me a hard time on heels);
- White low sneakers.

What I have and will keep:
- 2 pairs of jeans in two different washes and styles;
- 1 pair tartan wool pants;
- 1 pair black cigarette pants;
- My collection of band t-shirts;
- Black ankle boots;
- Black flat ballerinas;
- Black fitted denim jacket (I'll sew a few patches, give it my personal twist);
- Black fitted perfecto jacket;
- A velvet long jacket (summer jacket);
- Dark red long summer dress;
- That pink French Connection wool jacket.

What I'll sell/give to charity:
- My collection of heels and platforms (I'm crying a bit inside);
- An assortment of black wash jeans;
- All my old black knits;
- All my skirts.

BTW, I need more than 4 pairs of pants because I don't wear skirts now. Any. It's just not practical for when I'm working nor for when I'm in some more active form of leisure.

I'm still struggling with accessories. I'm not much into them but I'm feeling the need of a light necklace (maybe more than one) to complement my look every now and then.

#Resist

^ So let me ask you this about the skirts ... what about weddings/funerals? Are you good wearing pants to those? And you're totally sure about the jeans you're getting rid of?

Agree that you definitely need more than 4 pairs of pants. Let me go look how many I have right now ... here's what I'm wearing fairly regularly ...

• Black jeans
  • Black wool knit (for cooler weather--can't wear year-round)
  • Black tropical weight wool trousers
  • Blue denim trousers
  • Black velvet palazzo pants (wear these occasionally--quite useful during the holidays)
  • Grey silk trousers
I should also note that I do wear skirts. If I didn't, I'd need more than this.

Came by to mention that I got my cashmere sweater (from the sales) this week and wore it today. The quality is great, and it was super comfortable and cozy. I probably won't be buying wool tops/sweaters from anyone else now ... even nice designer things are so scratchy by comparison.

1 Week Ago
#Resist

farfetch
PS Ordered these today ... my final purchase for spring, assuming they work out. My flat sandals are all some combination of black, white, and silver, so I was looking for something different. These are the same designer as my others though I came up with some other options, but these spoke to me ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nicholas Kirkwood Farfetch.jpg (69.1 KB, 1 views)

5 Days Ago
V.I.P.

^Did the sandals arrive yet? The pearls are a really nice detail. On my screen, the top is dark rose gold and the scarf chocolate brown. Not sure they will be the same color irl, but both colors are really beautiful.

Not sure if I actually ever did an update, but this is what I have bought this far:

* black work trousers
* black work belt
* black work watch
* camel work blouse
* a grey knit jumper

So those are my spring 3-5 and summer 1-2 items.

spring items.png
filippa-k/aritzia/ebay/hm

The grey jumper was a bad purchase. I bought it so that I would have something in a lighter shade to wear to work, but it is too bulky and sheds too much. I have not recieved the camel silk top yet.

My next purchases will be:

* black work tote
* navy suit (because black is too formal for most events)

I might just have to accept that navy is a part of the dresscode. That kind of hurts.

I will also need at least one pair of summer trousers at one point, and a proper winter coat in the fall.

V.I.P.

AND I have to mention it - there is a girl at work who keeps on wearing and buying all the items I want before I get around to trying them on and it is really bothering me. I will look like a massive copy cat if I walk around in all the same clothes. WHY was I cursed with a co-worker with such great taste. WHY.

5 Days Ago
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^Did the sandals arrive yet? The pearls are a really nice detail. On my screen, the top is dark rose gold and the scarf chocolate brown. Not sure they will be the same color irl, but both colors are really beautiful.

Not sure if I actually ever did an update, but this is what I have bought this far:

* black work trousers
* black work belt
* black work watch
* camel work blouse
* a grey knit jumper

So those are my spring 3-5 and summer 1-2 items.

Attachment 710389
filippa-k/aritzia/ebay/hm

The grey jumper was a bad purchase. I bought it so that I would have something in a lighter shade to wear to work, but it is too bulky and sheds too much. I have not recieved the camel silk top yet.

My next purchases will be:

* black work tote
* navy suit (because black is too formal for most events)

I might just have to accept that navy is a part of the dresscode. That kind of hurts.

I will also need at least one pair of summer trousers at one point, and a proper winter coat in the fall.
Yes, I just got my hands on them today! They arrived at my sister's a couple days ago. They do fit. I ordered a 39 because I was concerned about their running small. They are a true rose gold ('copper'), and my scarf from earlier (I think the one you mean?) is called 'purple' but is actually mauve.

Your camel blouse is really pretty ... the sleeves look very graceful. Sorry about the sweater So irritating when something doesn't work out. Can you return it?

I'm thinking my next purchase (for fall) should be a pair of pants of some kind. This week my wool pants are at the cleaners, and another option would be nice.

Are you sure you aren't imagining this about the formality of black vs. navy? I'm not aware of any such distinction. The only things I know about black for sure are that a) it's more flattering, and b) if something is made in black and another color, the black will be better. Black is so much more flattering that at least twice I can think of, I've bought the black a size down, and the same or similar item in a different color the next size up.

PS I can honestly say I've never had that problem with a coworker

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 5 Days Ago at 09:35 PM.
4 Days Ago
front row

hi all.... happy year of the dog. i hope i will be able to refrain my spending this year

4 Days Ago
V.I.P.

^I think I reduced my spending by about 30% compared to my last year before this method. I still spend a lot though, but the total amount has been about the same for the past 3-4 years. My aim is still primarily to buy fewer items. The cost per item tends to self-regulate, pretty much.

Ta-ta: Bought it privately, so no chance of a retun. I will try to sell it.

Re. navy suits: Whenever I am in a situation where I would have to wear a suit, I am also in a situation where it would be ideal to not stand out because of what I am wearing -- and pretty much all my peers wear navy, because it is considered more versatile when starting out in this business.

I would settle for a black suit in a cut I love, but the selection of womens suits is really poor. I have only found 3 brands and 6-7 styles in my town. Most are made for people who are taller, leggier, with a more straight up and down body-type and broader shoulders. Either there are big fit-issues or they lack basic details like a vent on the blazer, functional sleeve-buttons and covered trouser buttons (like the suit I have now). And I am not convinced a polyester-lining is essential for a suit to be considered a suit... I would never buy any of these blazers or trousers to wear outside work, because the attention to detail is such rubbish.

I look bad in both navy and black, so that is not a factor for me...

Last edited by eizhowa; 4 Days Ago at 08:07 PM.
3 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Really nice items guys, love the colors and especially the color of the patent leather Kirk. Congrats!

I've bought a Rick jacket on sale, almost 70% off, yay! Of course in black. This is my first item this year. Waiting for Isabel mens pants to arrive. Spotted already a great skirt at The Row for next FW. Also been to the goldsmith, he's going it make a pair of 1 cm matte gold disc earrings, can't wait to see the result.

Last edited by Nymphaea; 3 Days Ago at 01:27 PM.
3 Days Ago
#Resist

^ Thank you

eizhowa, maybe you can get away for a long weekend and do a bit of shopping elsewhere to get something higher quality. Or is there someplace you can shop online that offers you free returns? It's quite true that those cheap linings can be the bane of your existence after awhile. I had such a lining from Ann Taylor shred on me. Thinking about what I have now, nothing is really lined. My denim trousers have some lined components at the waist, but no lining to the trousers. A lot of what I have is more expensive than those Ann Taylor trousers, and no linings. Are they just trying to convey a false sense of quality?? Clothes for work need to be able to wear better than clothes you'll wear occasionally, say evening pieces. So not to be the voice of doom , but workwear isn't really the place to compromise on quality. (Not that such a place actually exists )

Nymphaea, do you already own The Row items? Interested in your thoughts ... I don't have any of their pieces. Their reputation is great, but not sure where I can get it here now that Barney's is gone. What they had always looked very basic for the money (probably the more designed pieces sold out immediately), but I'm not sure I ever tried anything on.

I would like to have a go-to brand for trousers, and I just don't right now ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 3 Days Ago at 02:06 PM.
3 Days Ago
V.I.P.

^No The Row items so far, I've tried a cape coat a few years ago, the composition of fabric (lint) of that one wasn't practical otherwise it looked good. They seem a bit overpriced though.

#Resist

^ I agree, they do.

I was curious about my spending patterns, so I went back and added everything up. The total was quite similar in 2015 and 2016. I spent nearly $3000 less in 2017. Spending so far for spring (which actually started last April since I got ahead of myself buying Lanvin when Alber was let go) looks to be in line with the earlier pattern.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#10, #9, 45, french, piece, wardrobe