The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #10 - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-09-2017
backstage pass

The last few winters in Western Europe have been pretty mild (which seems to be the new standard..), so I wouldn't worry about the temperature that much. I think it has more to do with how you react to the cold. I wear the same shoes etc whether it's 5ºC or -5ºC, I just layer more when it comes to outerwear.

09-09-2017
backstage pass

I think the humidity etc is also a big factor... I've travelled in the winter but I've never felt so cold as in Prague last December. When it reached -5º I felt my nose was going to freeze off! I'm not very well accustomed, I know, I know...

09-09-2017
#Resist

The cold I find difficult to take is right by the water, like the ocean. The same temperature is bone-chilling in a way it's not at home.

Hmm, maybe you'll get used to the tights Highly recommended in my book. There are different types ... maybe if you try a more sock-like type.

Even when you live in a climate with a winter, you have to get used to the weather when it changes. Being plunged into the midst of a winter in progress is worse than actually living there.

10-09-2017
backstage pass

Funny I live pretty much by the sea and this is the sort of cold I find easier to endure... drier weathers, such as in inner Portugal/Spain or, like I said, Czech Republic and Paris. Then again, this is the cold I'm accustomed to, and it's not very cold either! I remember it snowing in 2006 and it being all over the news because it hadn't snowed where I live since the 1950s.

Sock things may be easier. When I once wore full tights under my trousers I didn't rest until I'd taken them off, the two fabrics rubbed together in a very uncomfortable way!

10-09-2017
V.I.P.

A white balenciaga jacket I have loved since 2007 (when I saw it on Clemence Poesy) was recently for sale for 8 MONTHS and of course I was not doing my job and stalking Vestiairecollective so someone else bought it recently. I am so bummed i missed it. And it was my size and everything!

Last edited by eizhowa; 10-09-2017 at 04:30 PM.

10-09-2017
#Resist

^ Ugh

20-09-2017
#Resist

target
Bought something today for the first time in 3 1/2 months, but I'm not counting it (just the money) My sandals broke (the elastic) right as I got to work this morning, so I bought these at lunch ... not really me, but my options were limited.
Save
Save
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rose gold sandal.jpg (297.9 KB, 0 views)

21-09-2017
#Resist

I'm planning to start keeping a spare pair of shoes in my desk (really too hot here to keep things in the car ...) so this doesn't happen again ... these won't go to waste though. I can wear them in the yard/running errands/etc. ...

I've been making a mental list for next year

I've already bought a few things, all tops. A SS black, LS black, and the statement sweater with the giant floral print. So I'm thinking

• Pair of trousers
  • Colored knit top (a la my collection), maybe pink or coral
  • Sweater--cashmere?
  • Something Brunello Cucinelli
  • Statement sandals in a color--red suede? Flat or low heel
  • Skirt?
  • Another statement top
  • Sweater or top for summer wear to work that doesn't require layering

24-09-2017
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I'm planning to start keeping a spare pair of shoes in my desk (really too hot here to keep things in the car ...) so this doesn't happen again ... these won't go to waste though. I can wear them in the yard/running errands/etc. ...

I've been making a mental list for next year

I've already bought a few things, all tops. A SS black, LS black, and the statement sweater with the giant floral print. So I'm thinking

• Pair of trousers
  • Colored knit top (a la my collection), maybe pink or coral
  • Sweater--cashmere?
  • Something Brunello Cucinelli
  • Statement sandals in a color--red suede? Flat or low heel
  • Skirt?
  • Another statement top
  • Sweater or top for summer wear to work that doesn't require layering
Always in due time

I had to return the black wrap dress I bought since it ripped in the bottom seam (and I know it hadn't snagged onto anything). Luckily I got my money back no problem. The SA offered to exchange it for another colour but I only wore it twice and didn't really feel like it, having the quality (or lack thereof) in mind.

I've tried ordering another one with smaller dots and will see if that is better. Also, I think I've finally found a blazer which is perfect since I have to go on conference with work next week. I got it from ARKET and aside from having the perfect cut it also has a quite high wool percentage for the price.

I still kinda want a pair of block heel pumps (Tango dupés) but I feel like it will only be a month before it will be too cold wearing them and also after starting uni again, I feel like I might not need them that much, so maybe my money is better spent elsewhere. I pretty much live in my sneakers, so I have considered if I should just get a pair of converse instead.

Pics via vila.com, arket.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vila.jpg (172.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg arket.jpg (148.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg arket2.jpg (218.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Betinapple; 24-09-2017 at 03:07 AM.
28-09-2017
V.I.P.

Ta-ta, I have always admired how good you are at this method

Did you recieve the dress, Betina? How did it go with the blazer? I totally understand your concern regarding starting uni again. I am going through the reverse at the moment - worrying about buying casual clothes now that I will (hopefully) soon start working full time. I actually tried on a pair of white low converse the other week and both my sister and me agreed that my feet looked very odd in closed shoes

I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate the 4-5 method if I get a job and need to make a work capsule asap. Very little of what I already own is completely work appropriate and I might need 2-3 white shirts, a handfull of pullovers and second suit. My current idea is to not count the pullovers or basic cotton shirts. Both the shirts and pullovers are about 25 pounds a piece and once I have those, I will be able to buy investment pieces without panicking that I will have nothing to wear to work.

Ideally, once I have a small capsule going, I will count both workwear and non-workwear in my 4-5

Last edited by eizhowa; 28-09-2017 at 02:21 PM.
28-09-2017
#Resist

^ Thanks

You may be able to get away with layering tops you already own under a blazer?? I try to minimize white (although I do realize the alternative to white is generally a dread ... color) because of the high-maintenance factor. Blue dress shirts are also very common, and you can also find an orchid color that I really like (i.e., pink lavender). I'm not sure what retailers you have, but here we have Thomas Pink, I believe it specializes in dress shirts and has a variety. Back in the day when I was thrifting, I found some very good shirts for very little $. I remember I had a really pretty yellow pima cotton one.

Have you listed out everything you have that will work for work? I would think all your trousers, blazers, and sweaters ... and probably some shirts. For example, I would think you could layer a black T under a blazer in a pinch?

Anything useful to retrieve from your sister's closet?

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 28-09-2017 at 02:28 PM.
28-09-2017
V.I.P.

^ Yes, how is your sister's closet?
I think, just like fashionista-ta said that you'll have some good items in your closet I think, but my memory isn't always up to date.

Just been shopping in Paris. Been in several Chanel shops for a specific cardigan, couldn't find the one. I have to say that some things I saw at the rack were rather prone to pilling I think and/or takes some careful wearing. There was also a lot hanging in the stockroom, would have loved to browse that also. The sa couldn't tell anything about the cruise jacket I like, hmmm, I don't really believe that because they've most probably already ordered the pieces from the cruise collection. And also I saw online a pic of the specifics page of the jacket with a product code, composition cotton tweed etc.
I tried several coats at Celine and got the black trench from the runway.
Also saw some nice loafers from Mansur Gavriel, but my feet are always a bit swollen after walking quite a bit, so if possible, I rather order shoes online to try out at home.
It was a nice break in Paris, not cold, dry and some sunshine.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Thanks

You may be able to get away with layering tops you already own under a blazer?? I try to minimize white (although I do realize the alternative to white is generally a dread ... color) because of the high-maintenance factor. Blue dress shirts are also very common, and you can also find an orchid color that I really like (i.e., pink lavender). I'm not sure what retailers you have, but here we have Thomas Pink, I believe it specializes in dress shirts and has a variety. Back in the day when I was thrifting, I found some very good shirts for very little $. I remember I had a really pretty yellow pima cotton one.

Have you listed out everything you have that will work for work? I would think all your trousers, blazers, and sweaters ... and probably some shirts. For example, I would think you could layer a black T under a blazer in a pinch?

Anything useful to retrieve from your sister's closet?
I really wish there were more options for womens suiting in Norway, but there are only a handful of brands and I swear they all make exactly the same black and navy suits, which of course are my worst colors, and floor-length flimsy shirts. The thrift market is poor, Ebay is too hit and miss and I have already retrieved all the nice things from my sisters wardrobe (but nice try ).

I am set on trousers, shoes and outwear. All my knits are sadly too oversized in my opinion. Even the smallest ones are bought in the menswear department because I like long sleeves on my knits. It does not look very corporate however...

I am also set on shirts, really. I found some surprisingly high quality cotton shirts (especially for a womans shirt...) on the high street and I have ordered them in white . I will just have to find a way to make white work, seeing as I find colors to colorful in general I also have a blue/grey one which I don't like because it is blue, and one that is a black/white polka dot print and makes me feel "meh". I panick-bought both in January when I was called in to work on one or two days notice, if I remember correctly.

As for my black blazer, I really would rather not wear it more than I have to, because I don't feel happy in black and I don't like the perfectly smooth wool it is made from. It is good for court apperances, but it makes me feel pretty much dead inside otherwise. I prefer lumpy materials, but again, that is not very corporate :/ I am really hoping to live mostly in fine knits and white shirts (sometimes layered) through winter (I will also wear trousers and shoes, don't worry.)

I really do not think finding good basic knits will be hard. I have always loved Uniqlos merino wool and they are very hardwearing and affordable. The current plan is to pick them up when I go to London in December. Until then I have one grey cashmere jumper that can be layered (although it is a little bit too oversized), and possibly one more I could wear in an absolute emergency (think world on fire etc etc).

I do realize that it probably would not matter if I wore more casual pieces to work (I know a lot of female lawyers wear dark jeans), but as the youngest person in any office I would not feel comfortable dressing down as much as some of the people who are older and more experienced.

Nymphaea
, you had me at "tweed" I don't know how the rest of you guys feel, but I would certainly love to see some pictures

V.I.P.

And I feel like this needs its own post;

Could you guys please join me and help me pray that suits in shades of brown becomes trendy again?

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Last edited by eizhowa; 28-09-2017 at 03:55 PM.
28-09-2017
backstage pass

^ We need some visuals with that Nymphaea

I find myself wearing more and more (off) white, so far I'm able to get rid of all the stains (that includes red wine ) that go with it. Most of all I'm working in the new pieces in my wardrobe, everything goes together perfectly. Even the green chinos look like I've been wearing them for years.

I got new glasses, mostly because I've got an slumbering eye-infection and the acetate in my old glasses that used to be transparent now turned brownish which makes me not want to wear them instead of my contacts..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#10, #9, 45, french, piece, wardrobe