The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2 - Page 50 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
30-07-2011
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
Thx for the good advice. I would never buy H&M shoes, for the purpose of everyday use. They're not nice on my feet, and the wear out very fast. My new ballet flats are not expensive, but still costed more than I would usually spend on ballet flats. They have a good sole and the quality seems nice. I will try and polish them (just need to kick myself in the but and get it done).

I don't like the thought of spending more than 200 dollars on a pair of ballet flats, but maybe I should try it. What brands can you recommend?
Right now I have Anna Sui, Marc Jacobs, and Bottega, and all have been good--Anna Sui perhaps the best (and good support too), but not sure you can get her there? You might try getting a better brand on sale and seeing how you like it. Sometimes I get lucky & show up just as the sale starts (best selection), but it never hurt to plan ahead If you wear a common size, it's often available somewhere--the store can order for you.

30-07-2011
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle s'ennuie View Post
Given that you do a lot of walking, perhaps look into brands such as Ecco (also Clarks, Camper) that usually make sturdier walking shoes? I was in an Ecco store this spring with a friend because she was looking for sandals, but I also saw some ballet-type flats that looked rather nice, though you do have to sacrifice a little bit of the sleekness of e.g Repetto... For me, ballet flats tend to wear out on the outer edges of the toe box where the sole is attached to the upper, so I know I have to avoid those flats that have a very thin and narrow sole.
That's what I mean ... that happens when you don't watch the wear to the sole & get the tips replaced in a timely way.

Another thing that can be done is the cobbler can touch up the tip with dye ...

30-07-2011
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin de Lune View Post
Any views on the Ferragamo vara/varina's?
I am searching for a classic black patent low heeled (or flat) shoe and these are so very tempting. I hear the sizing runs small though.

So far, for the coming months, I need to invest in:

TOPS
*1 white cotton shirt with bracelet length sleeves (seen a lovely one by Carven which looks perfect)
* 1 floral or patterned blouse, maybe a.p.c or Vanessa Bruno.

KNITS
* 2 merino or cashmere sweaters, beige, navy or grey.
* 1 cardigan, in oatmeal preferably.

BOTTOMS
* 2 wool or cotton skirts, mid and mini length. Plain colours, no patterns, in navy/black.
* cropped dark denim capri pants.

OUTERWEAR
* classic winter coat, preferably navy with a hood.
* linen blazer in black or grey.

FOOTWEAR
* classy black patent flats, maybe Ferragamo/Repetto.
* Suede ankle boots in dark brown, dark beige.

ACCESSORIES
*medium sized black leather satchel or tote.
* new watch, hopefully covered via xmas gifts!
*cashmere beret & scarf.

This is all that I need, I think, to tide me over until spring, but my choices are so damned expensive that I am not sure what to do!
Prioritize

Ferragamo has a very specific last ... I have owned some, but I have quite a high arch & not such a narrow foot, which is their specialty ... I concluded they weren't really for me. Have you tried them on?

I haven't bought any Tory Burch, but I think the ones where the logo is leather rather than metal are subtle enough (but I have logo phobia). Her prices are pretty reasonable too. Nice bright colors ...

31-07-2011
front row

Sorry, why do we have to zipsole the leather sole? Is there any reason outside from longevity?

I love Ferragamo (that and Sergio Rossi are my go-to), and I have very wide feet. Ferragamo caters to different width, I am using the B or even C sometimes, which is not at all narrow.

It's a very good idea to check local brand. We have one Balinese brand which is so good (used by Julia Roberts in Eat Pray Love), and their ballet flat is on par w/ Repetto, but very cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

31-07-2011
#Resist

Some people zipsole to preserve the CL red. I think we have a whole zipsole thread somewhere ...

It's true that you can get other widths in Ferragamo. They are the go-to brand for those with narrow (and as you say, wide) feet.

31-07-2011
front row

You know, I have no idea what the width of my foot actually is - although I tend to feel just right in most shoes and boots, so perhaps I am average? I have bony ankles and feet, but this probably doesn't account for much in terms of actual width. I was going to choose the B width Ferragamo's.....

Prioritizing is probably the best route, but I do tend to become confused, only having access to spare funds several months out of a given year somehow paralyses me: I have so many items lounging in online shopping baskets as we speak.

I haven't tried the Ferragamo's, I live in a small uk town with only a scattering of regular high street stores, and even these are badly stocked. I might have to travel to London to try a pair, and that would be about 7 hours and 50 away, sadly. This is always such a pain when shopping for non-high street items. Always such a risk. There are some online brands which I am very comfortable with, sizing-wise, like apc, jcrew and Toast, but the rest are rather unknown to me.

I do love the Repetto's, but there is something about that vara bow

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 31-07-2011 at 08:45 PM.

01-08-2011
front row

Haha, yes indeed, there is something magical with that bow. I am not fond of bow, but I just loooove ferragamo boW. They make my feet look slimmer, hahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

01-08-2011
backstage pass

Has anyone tried some of the ballet flats by Balenciaga or Chloe? I love some of their styles...

01-08-2011
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin de Lune View Post
You know, I have no idea what the width of my foot actually is - although I tend to feel just right in most shoes and boots, so perhaps I am average? I have bony ankles and feet, but this probably doesn't account for much in terms of actual width. I was going to choose the B width Ferragamo's.....

Prioritizing is probably the best route, but I do tend to become confused, only having access to spare funds several months out of a given year somehow paralyses me: I have so many items lounging in online shopping baskets as we speak.

I haven't tried the Ferragamo's, I live in a small uk town with only a scattering of regular high street stores, and even these are badly stocked. I might have to travel to London to try a pair, and that would be about 7 hours and 50 away, sadly. This is always such a pain when shopping for non-high street items. Always such a risk. There are some online brands which I am very comfortable with, sizing-wise, like apc, jcrew and Toast, but the rest are rather unknown to me.

I do love the Repetto's, but there is something about that vara bow
Here's the Ferragamo thread, in case anyone's interested: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f48...ead-44818.html

Maybe a trip to London when you're ready to shop might be a good thing ... spend the night, take a little mini-vacation, and shop shop shop That way you can try everything on. As long as what you want exists, you should be able to find it in any major shopping city. Speaking of which, are you any closer to Glasgow than London? London's not the only shopping city in the UK ...

02-08-2011
front row

I'm right beside Manchester and Liverpool. I did a search for stores that carry them, but no joy. I have wanted to visit London for so long now, and would love to manage it soon. It might probably be easier for me to visit Paris than London, for I at least know a couple of people that I could stay with there. I must organize my life. Online shopping is too convenient

02-08-2011
#Resist

^ Ferragamo has boutiques in both London and Paris: http://www.ferragamo.com/webapp/wcs/.../Europe/France

Between London and Paris, I would head for Paris myself Ballet flat HQ ...

02-08-2011
front row

I would love to!

Also, could anyone suggest where I might be able to find decent quality cotton knit sweaters/jumpers within Europe online? I have decided to go low maintenance with my knitwear this year but am having trouble locating what I'm after.

03-08-2011
backstage pass

I just realized that my best formal wear pants - a pair of good brown wool pants - have a hole at the worst possible place. I don't think it can be fixed OH NO! When you have only few pieces it hurts even more when you lose one. What a bummer! I can't go shopping right now, I need to spend on other things than clothes and shoes I feel so naked suddenly...

03-08-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post

I just realized that my best formal wear pants - a pair of good brown wool pants - have a hole at the worst possible place. I don't think it can be fixed OH NO! When you have only few pieces it hurts even more when you lose one. What a bummer! I can't go shopping right now, I need to spend on other things than clothes and shoes I feel so naked suddenly...
Oh no! Is it completely impossible to make your wardrobe function without these pants, untill you have saved some money for them?

04-08-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
Oh no! Is it completely impossible to make your wardrobe function without these pants, untill you have saved some money for them?
Well, I guess I just have to wait. I have a blue and a black pair of formal wear pants, too, but I think the cut isn't as flattering and I haven't been wearing them much lately. I guess they just have to do for now and maybe in September or October I can go out to replace my beloved RIP brown pants. I really didn't think I had to spend on formal wear pants in the near future though. It's not nice when you think you're covered with your essentials and than such things happen. Ugh.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 45, french, piece, wardrobe