How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-08-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Well, I guess I just have to wait. I have a blue and a black pair of formal wear pants, too, but I think the cut isn't as flattering and I haven't been wearing them much lately. I guess they just have to do for now and maybe in September or October I can go out to replace my beloved RIP brown pants. I really didn't think I had to spend on formal wear pants in the near future though. It's not nice when you think you're covered with your essentials and than such things happen. Ugh.
I know the feeling. It is excactly the same problem I have with the striped l/s tee I'm trying to replace. Not because I do not have the money, but because it is impossible to find one as good as the one I have - which is worn out.

There is no chance that you could find a good pair of brown formal pants on sale?

04-08-2011
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Well, I guess I just have to wait. I have a blue and a black pair of formal wear pants, too, but I think the cut isn't as flattering and I haven't been wearing them much lately. I guess they just have to do for now and maybe in September or October I can go out to replace my beloved RIP brown pants. I really didn't think I had to spend on formal wear pants in the near future though. It's not nice when you think you're covered with your essentials and than such things happen. Ugh.
It's true that these things can happen at any time ... but it's the sign of a good wardrobe that you do have alternatives to turn to. I wonder if you could have one of the other pairs tailored to be more flattering?

When I've had pants tailored at Barney's Coop, I've had the SA say, I didn't know you could do that My job in retail was at a store that sold mostly suits, and I got to watch the tailors work every day. It really is amazing what they can do ...

04-08-2011
Power to the 99%

PS I had no immediate plans to buy anything, but a Lanvin item has come in that has me

05-08-2011
trendsetter

I've just discovered a new love; shoe polish. A whole new world has opened to me. My flats look brand new

05-08-2011
front row

I have become convinced that it is worth investing in a high quality bag, but I have a few questions about branding. I don't necessarily want the branding to be obvious, even if there is no obvious logo on the bag itself. I was teetering in the direction of Mulberry, and I am quite in love with their small satchel range, but something still puts me off. I think that I might just be a bit contrary or something, because I can't bring myself to buy a handbag that is generally described as 'iconic'. This is something that I hear quite frequently with regards to Mulberry bags (obviously), but I'm thinking I might want something more subtle....so, I need to find a bag of similar quality, but less iconic (more subtle), if that makes sense. Is it possible? Any tips would be helpful!

05-08-2011
Power to the 99%

^ Can you get Kate Spade where you are?

To me Mulberry is heavily inspired by other iconic bags, such as Hermes I think they are good bags, don't get me wrong ...

You might also look at Marc Jacobs.

I think sifting through bags is a good online activity, then at the store I see how it looks in person, the bag's lines when not professionally stuffed with tissue paper but instead with my actual stuff in it, how it feels, scale, how comfortable, how easy to get in and out of, etc.

Betinapple, too funny

05-08-2011
backstage pass

i love marc by marc jacobs for bags. i would go in the mens section where they change seasonally yet are still classic and good leather.

06-08-2011
backstage pass

My pants: I don't really want to have them altered because my body doesn't feel in a "stable state" yet. I've had my second baby six month ago and I've lost a lot of weight. Contrary to most women I suffer from being too thin after giving birth and if it is similar to my first birth I'll need a year until my body has found back to its normal weight. Therefore I'm a bit hesitant about alterations now. But as soon as I feel that I'm not losing or gaining a lot anymore this would be a good option.

My bags: I also like Marc by Marc Jacobs because they are very subtle and classy. Plus they are in a price range that I can afford. My dream bags for the future (a girl needs to have dreams, right) are by Chloe , Proenza Schouler or Fendi. Personally I think Chloe bags aren't as easily recognizable and don't scream "designer" as much as some other famous bags.

I attach a few pictures of some of these season's bags that make me dream...

Pics by Net a porter.com, showing Chloé Paraty, Chloé Marcie and Chloé Madeleine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chloeparatymedium.jpg (86.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg chloemarciemedium.jpg (53.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg chloemadeleine.jpg (42.6 KB, 1 views)

06-08-2011
front row

Marni has some really gorgeous classic bags this season, but for something understated I think the best brands are Bally, Bottega, and Jerome Dreyfuss (aka Mr Isabel Marant). The Mulberry Neely is gorgeous though, and doesn't scream "iconic Mulberry" like the Bayswater or the Alexa.

06-08-2011
fashion icon

This season one of my main purchases is going to be a good bag. I'm planning on purchasing The Cambridge Satchel Company's Batchel bag for school but I'm wondering what color to buy. I'm torn between the brown and green bag. Both colors are lovely and while the brown one is very classic I also love the green because it feels a bit more youthful. Which one should I go for?

http://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk/

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 06-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.

06-08-2011
earthbound

^ You should go for the brown one, unless if green is your favorite color. That shade of green looks quite trendy and easy to get tired of... you certainly wouldn't want to replace your bag every season!

06-08-2011
fashion icon

^Ah true... while I love that color green it probably won't remain popular or in my wardrobe for long. So brown it is! Thanks

08-08-2011
backstage pass

green is very sophisticated art school punk. see marc by marc jacobs fall 2008. if that's your style by all means! =) does that satchel come in different sizes? we sold them at urban outfitters when i worked there and they were a tad to small at least the ones we were selling.

10-08-2011
fashion insider

I read the explanatory post, so I have an idea of the concept, but don't know how to start...?

Basically, I'm tired of buying, buying, buying and with the current economic climate, there's no time like the present to get into a more frugal way of spending. My wardrobe is seriously my biggest expense. How do you guys plan your shopping - do you use budget plans as well?

10-08-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldn View Post
green is very sophisticated art school punk. see marc by marc jacobs fall 2008. if that's your style by all means! =) does that satchel come in different sizes? we sold them at urban outfitters when i worked there and they were a tad to small at least the ones we were selling.
The bags come in several different sizes. I plan on getting the 15 inch so that way I can lug around my laptop. Unfortunately my style isn't what you'd call "sophisticated art school punk" more like English prep I suppose. So no green bag for me but that's okay I like the brown one as well.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 45, french, piece, wardrobe