The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2 - Page 55 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
29-08-2011
fashion insider

I love this rain coat from Storets - but idk about the quality?

Le Blog de Sushi

29-08-2011
tfs star

Help! I'm having to re-do my fall/winter wardrobe due to work...

...my wardrobe throughout my life has been very bohemian and more eccentric, lots of vintage and long flowy stuff to go with my long flowy hair

Now I have to spend time with more conservative corporate types, and have to dress accordingly...where to start and how much to buy, and what to buy...

I started by buying a knee-length black pencil skirt and a knee-length navy pleated skirt, but that's not going to be enough...how many items/outfits should one add in these cases? It's not a lifestyle change, but I'll be meeting these people maybe three days a week...

29-08-2011
#Resist

advo, those vinyl raincoats are usually really hot ... not to mention made of toxic PVC

You may want to look at trenches ... seems like there's a trench for every style

Melisande, that sounds like a good start. I would think you probably have a lot of tops that will work? I'm a long skirt wearer, and I've worked in the corporate world (albeit the high tech corner of it) my whole adult life.

What do you have in the way of slacks? Jackets?

I usually go relatively classic on most things, and make a statement with my shoes.

I'm not sure that what you have is really so unacceptable, especially after you tweak it ... but I've always worked in the US. Now the only really conservative people here are bankers and accountants.

If you're going to be meeting with them 3x a week, sounds like you're doing consulting ... in my mind as an outsider it's not so bad to be different--the only important thing is to be taken seriously & inspire confidence.

To that end I have an unmatched black suit for each season (2 IOW). That's my serious interview/meet with the executives outfit. Even there, the jackets have peplums, the wool skirt is long ... Otherwise, my view is that as long as I'm expressing an appropriate amount of formality, I can express my own style. Granted, it's not bohemian But neither has it been standard issue anywhere I've worked.

30-08-2011
backstage pass

Ok, I want a few thing for this F/W and since I don't have much money at the moment selections have to be made. I thought posting them here might keep me on track, plus bring in some male oriented wardrobe building .

So here are the thing I need/want so far:
  • New jacket
  • Brown leather gloves
  • Long scarf
  • Shoes

So far I have seen a good pair of brown leather gloves at H&M. I've bought leather gloves there before and the price/quality is quite good imo.
The jacket will be the biggest challenge, I've got a leather jacket at the moment but it's getting a bit old and I need something else in the rotation. Finding a good looking, good quality, reasonable priced jacket is quite a challenge and on top of that I've got no clue what I'm looking for..

The scarf will largely depend on the jacket, even though I have spotted a nice tan scarf with a subtle stripe that would go along with pretty much all colours.

I'll keep you posted when changes occur!

30-08-2011
fashion insider

fashionista-ta, oh that's so disappointed to hear. I love the cute design. Are you referring to rain coat trenches? Or a trench coat? I need something against rain since the Danish weather has been absolutely hideous this "summer".

30-08-2011
#Resist

Fewormany, you're right, we're a bit short of men around here I think this may be the way a lot of men already dress?? In case anyone's in any doubt ... All men are welcome ...

advo, yes, I believe all good trench coats are rain-proof ... mine is a Burberry from before it was cool, and very functional. I imagine we have a trench thread around here? Think I've seen one ...

31-08-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Fewormany, you're right, we're a bit short of men around here I think this may be the way a lot of men already dress??
I think they definatly buy less, but I'm not sure if they are more focused when buying stuff than women. We do have the luck that most highstreet (h&m, zara, etc) menswear seems to be of better quality compared to the women's department. And overall I think men value quality more over quantity, I sure know I do. Or at least the best quality I can find/afford.

31-08-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Fewormany, you're right, we're a bit short of men around here I think this may be the way a lot of men already dress?? In case anyone's in any doubt ... All men are welcome ...

advo, yes, I believe all good trench coats are rain-proof ... mine is a Burberry from before it was cool, and very functional. I imagine we have a trench thread around here? Think I've seen one ...
I love the idea of using the trench for double duty - but what do you do about your head/hair? I bike a lot so I need something that also covers my head.

31-08-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Melisande, that sounds like a good start. I would think you probably have a lot of tops that will work? I'm a long skirt wearer, and I've worked in the corporate world (albeit the high tech corner of it) my whole adult life.
What do you have in the way of slacks? Jackets?
I usually go relatively classic on most things, and make a statement with my shoes.
I'm not sure that what you have is really so unacceptable, especially after you tweak it ... but I've always worked in the US. Now the only really conservative people here are bankers and accountants.
If you're going to be meeting with them 3x a week, sounds like you're doing consulting ... in my mind as an outsider it's not so bad to be different--the only important thing is to be taken seriously & inspire confidence.

To that end I have an unmatched black suit for each season (2 IOW). That's my serious interview/meet with the executives outfit. Even there, the jackets have peplums, the wool skirt is long ... Otherwise, my view is that as long as I'm expressing an appropriate amount of formality, I can express my own style. Granted, it's not bohemian But neither has it been standard issue anywhere I've worked.
Ta-ta, I knew I could count on you for top-notch advice!!
Thank you for your encouragement, you're right, I guess the important thing is to "express an appropriate amount of formality" and inspire confidence, not try to be the same. It's strange and disconcerting when you're meeting with people who are so different from your usual creative-type crowd!

Slacks...zero (except a pair of unhemmed ripped jeans...)
Jackets...the black velvet blazer & beige leather Chanel-type jacket may work...(probably not my violently violet biker jacket? or my asymmetrical sculpted aquamarine velvet bolero with floor-lenght sleeves...)

Tops...hmm...I'll really have to go through these.

I have a black Theory pantsuit and Vivienne Westwood velvet suit in Japan, I think maybe it's time to have to have my parents ship them to me...

...and then there's the whole shoes question...
punk boots and purple patent flatforms are not going to cut it methinks... I only can count on my Robert Clergerie oxford pumps...I wonder how many pairs I should have...

Sorry for thinking out loud...

31-08-2011
backstage pass

Discovered once I got to college that I left my amazingly wonderful skinny jeans at home on the other side of the country. So I gotta get some jeans. I just have ripped boyfriend jeans right now.

31-08-2011
What fresh hell is this.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
how about these cigarette pants from banana republic? they are designed by Janie Bryant. (bananarepublic.com)
Oh, I really like those. I might just end up getting them if I can't find any in a physical shop. I'm not a big fan of buying online.
But thanks, I would never have thought about checking out banana republic

Advo, I just tie a scarf around my head and make it into a turban when it rains. It keeps my hair almost completely dry. When I was in Scotland I always had one with me.

31-08-2011
fashion insider

^Tinetush, you're used to the Danish weather so I'll trust your opinion on this JK :p I prefer cashmere scarves though because I find wool itchy and I'm not entirely sure it can stand the rain?

31-08-2011
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmethatbag View Post
Discovered once I got to college that I left my amazingly wonderful skinny jeans at home on the other side of the country. So I gotta get some jeans. I just have ripped boyfriend jeans right now.
Can someone at home get to the post office?

31-08-2011
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Ta-ta, I knew I could count on you for top-notch advice!!
Thank you for your encouragement, you're right, I guess the important thing is to "express an appropriate amount of formality" and inspire confidence, not try to be the same. It's strange and disconcerting when you're meeting with people who are so different from your usual creative-type crowd!

Slacks...zero (except a pair of unhemmed ripped jeans...)
Jackets...the black velvet blazer & beige leather Chanel-type jacket may work...(probably not my violently violet biker jacket? or my asymmetrical sculpted aquamarine velvet bolero with floor-lenght sleeves...)

Tops...hmm...I'll really have to go through these.

I have a black Theory pantsuit and Vivienne Westwood velvet suit in Japan, I think maybe it's time to have to have my parents ship them to me...

...and then there's the whole shoes question...
punk boots and purple patent flatforms are not going to cut it methinks... I only can count on my Robert Clergerie oxford pumps...I wonder how many pairs I should have...

Sorry for thinking out loud...
Melisande, the jackets sound good ... Theory pantsuit, perfect for business. (I imagine these also work as separates?)

For shoes, to go with the black outfits mentioned, I have a pair of absolutely serious black pumps (Jimmy Choo Glaciers, gloss kidskin, 85 mm). Otherwise I wear my regular shoes to work (Dries beaded sandals, Dolce red patent Mary Janes), except those that are really challenging to walk in (YSL), those I save for going out. But I think the basic black pumps are beautiful. I don't think you should ever buy anything that you don't love and feel is you. Maybe "me with a bunch of bankers," but still me.

I would think maybe buy a pair, wear the oxfords, and surely you have a few more that'll pass? But I would think 2-3 pairs should be sufficient.

01-09-2011
What fresh hell is this.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by advo View Post
^Tinetush, you're used to the Danish weather so I'll trust your opinion on this JK :p I prefer cashmere scarves though because I find wool itchy and I'm not entirely sure it can stand the rain?

I normally just use a square cotton one I think. it's easier to tie.
But yeah you are probably right about avoiding wool ones.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 45, french, piece, wardrobe