The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2 - Page 67 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
14-12-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoestringTravel View Post
just cleaned out my closet today, and looked at all of the "bargains" I got over the last six months. On the other hand, there are some good things in there, too, that have surprised me how well they lasted. Like two H&M angora/cashmere/synthetic/wool blend $30 sweaters that have yet to begin pilling, and have a flattering cut. I had pretty low expectations for those two, but I can say that they've held up quite well!
I recall reading that the pilling has to do with the length of the strands in the yarn, so the higher quality the yarn used to make the sweater is, the less it pills. I do love cashmere's softness - I bought a pair of cashmere gloves this winter and love them - but I happened across a couple of articles about it recently that made me rethink things a bit, and I think I'm going to try to favour plain wool from now on.

Hidden cost of low-priced cashmere

golden fleece?

17-12-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle s'ennuie View Post
I recall reading that the pilling has to do with the length of the strands in the yarn, so the higher quality the yarn used to make the sweater is, the less it pills. I do love cashmere's softness - I bought a pair of cashmere gloves this winter and love them - but I happened across a couple of articles about it recently that made me rethink things a bit, and I think I'm going to try to favour plain wool from now on.

Hidden cost of low-priced cashmere

golden fleece?
Thanks for the articles! Wow, I read the first one, and it's really scary. No more cheap cashmere for me, please! Thanks for sharing.

17-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM1985 View Post
How do you determine who is a "green" drycleaners? I've tried googling locally, but I'm still not sure what the difference is. Are there specific questions I should ask?
a dry cleaning business like zoots is "green". they are throughout the US.

17-12-2011
V.I.P.

barneys
I'm so pleased ... I was able to lay my hands on the shoes I've had my eye on--and at a substantial discount! I never was able to try them on because they were sold out in my size, so hopefully they will fit, but I've seen them in person and I think they look better than in the pictures I've seen. The size available was 9, I typically wear 8.5 but the SA told me they ran small. I did pay a bit of extra shipping in order to get them by Christmas. (My sister initiated an arrangement whereby we buy our own presents from each other, and I must say, my presents have never been better )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lanvin $725.jpg (4.0 KB, 161 views)

18-12-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I'm so pleased ... I was able to lay my hands on the shoes I've had my eye on--and at a substantial discount! I never was able to try them on because they were sold out in my size, so hopefully they will fit, but I've seen them in person and I think they look better than in the pictures I've seen. The size available was 9, I typically wear 8.5 but the SA told me they ran small. I did pay a bit of extra shipping in order to get them by Christmas. (My sister initiated an arrangement whereby we buy our own presents from each other, and I must say, my presents have never been better )
Awwww, these are lovely! Very nice indeed! I hope they will fit!

I'm still eyeing that coat that I want. They still have the last piece, so the big question remains whether it will go to the sales or not. I still think full price is just more than I can pay. If it sells out soon I have my eyes on a lovely and classic bag. But if that doesn't work out I guess I won't be sale shopping and save my money for the lovely spring / summer things that are coming into the stores.

18-12-2011
front row

Quote:
These are really cute!

18-12-2011
scenester

I love plenty of leather pants, white or grey tee's, grey or black sweaters, fur coats and fur vests, and some ankle boots.

19-12-2011
rising star

Is anyone planning for Spring/Summer yet?

I got a new job, and that stuck me back in buy-buy-buy land for a while, since it was a big change from what I was used to (scrubs to suits!) and I've also had a size change in there. I just keep buying more and more and it was depressing me. All that hard work on my closet, gone!

So, I'm not sure if I want anything really for Spring/Summer. I'm set for work, provided I don't need to replace anything, and I still have loads of casual outfits, although my style is still a bit of a hodge podge. I'm of a pack rat or depression-era mentality, as I need to really wear things out to dump them. So, my plan is to wear the crap out of things so I can cull.

I do have on my long-term coveting list a Burberry trench, a Chanel bag, and lovely surprise - a bespoke suit! There is a tailor locally who has very affordable package deals for custom suits and shirts. When I did the math, it wasn't bad. If I don't buy much, it's very doable.

As I'm currently saving for a black Chanel bag, I thought I'd also ask for opinions. I like the 2.55 style, but I'm waffling between the classic and the reissue. I can't quite decide if the interlocking-c clasp is a bit too showy or not. I plan on getting plain black caviar leather, nothing too eyecatching, but I've become less of a label person. My mom thinks the interlocking-c is fine, but she loves bags with LV on them all over, or garish Coach op-art prints, so.... Thoughts? Interlocking-c or no?

Last edited by ATM1985; 19-12-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo

20-12-2011
front row

Quote:

So, I'm not sure if I want anything really for Spring/Summer. I'm set for work, provided I don't need to replace anything, and I still have loads of casual outfits, although my style is still a bit of a hodge podge. I'm of a pack rat or depression-era mentality, as I need to really wear things out to dump them. So, my plan is to wear the crap out of things so I can cull.
Well, yes, but spring looks an awful lot like fall/winter, and truly warm weather only sticks around for about 2 months here. :p

So I DID plan for the upcoming 6 months by buying 3 sweaters and 1 more pair of jeans recently, LOL. Not so much the summer-weather stuff you'd expect, but at least climate-appropriate, right?

I agree with you about "depression-era mentality." While I recently got rid of a lot of stuff from my closet, it was stuff that I truly don't wear. I'm hanging on to a few things that I don't love, just to wear them to work and wear them out before I get rid of them. Contrary to others' opinions, I feel like it's a bit wasteful (personally) for me to dump perfectly good, well-fitting, work-appropriate clothes just because my tastes have changed. However, I will be replacing them eventually with something that I totally love, and higher quality, fewer of, etc. once they wear out.

20-12-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:

I got a new job, and that stuck me back in buy-buy-buy land for a while, since it was a big change from what I was used to (scrubs to suits!) and I've also had a size change in there. I just keep buying more and more and it was depressing me. All that hard work on my closet, gone!

I do have on my long-term coveting list a Burberry trench, a Chanel bag, and lovely surprise - a bespoke suit! There is a tailor locally who has very affordable package deals for custom suits and shirts. When I did the math, it wasn't bad. If I don't buy much, it's very doable.

As I'm currently saving for a black Chanel bag, I thought I'd also ask for opinions. I like the 2.55 style, but I'm waffling between the classic and the reissue. I can't quite decide if the interlocking-c clasp is a bit too showy or not. I plan on getting plain black caviar leather, nothing too eyecatching, but I've become less of a label person. My mom thinks the interlocking-c is fine, but she loves bags with LV on them all over, or garish Coach op-art prints, so.... Thoughts? Interlocking-c or no?
I like your list.

My own view on the Cs is no, but logo tolerance is very personal I have a Marc Jacobs bag with little plates down low on the sides that have the designer's name ... I'm cool with the Lanvin logo (very pretty in fact) because no one knows what it is here unless you visit the store where you bought it

I definitely wear things that are not perfect (like the black skirt I bought for an interview that I might not have gotten if I'd had a lot more time to shop), but I don't wear things that make me feel bad. That is where things definitely must go, for me. There are enough things in life that have the potential to bring you down, without your fostering them in your very own closet Another time when something must go is when it doesn't work with anything else. If something's comfortable and washable, I may wear it at home and not out anymore.

If you want to wear things out, creating and wearing a capsule wardrobe is a great way to do that.

I saw a pair of shoes that I want to look at in person ... that's as far as I've gotten for spring. And I got my Lanvin shoes today, and they are not gonna cut it--they have to go back. What really ticks me off about this is that it means I'm going to be shopping on Christmas Eve for the first time in many, many years--maybe ever :p The shoes they were going to replace aren't worth repairing, so I still need black lace-up flats. Hopefully I'll be able to find some this late in the game ... however, I don't have to find those on Saturday--just a present for myself. That should be very doable

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 20-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.

21-12-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
I like your list.

My own view on the Cs is no, but logo tolerance is very personal I have a Marc Jacobs bag with little plates down low on the sides that have the designer's name ... I'm cool with the Lanvin logo (very pretty in fact) because no one knows what it is here unless you visit the store where you bought it

I definitely wear things that are not perfect (like the black skirt I bought for an interview that I might not have gotten if I'd had a lot more time to shop), but I don't wear things that make me feel bad. That is where things definitely must go, for me. There are enough things in life that have the potential to bring you down, without your fostering them in your very own closet Another time when something must go is when it doesn't work with anything else. If something's comfortable and washable, I may wear it at home and not out anymore.

If you want to wear things out, creating and wearing a capsule wardrobe is a great way to do that.

I saw a pair of shoes that I want to look at in person ... that's as far as I've gotten for spring. And I got my Lanvin shoes today, and they are not gonna cut it--they have to go back. What really ticks me off about this is that it means I'm going to be shopping on Christmas Eve for the first time in many, many years--maybe ever :p The shoes they were going to replace aren't worth repairing, so I still need black lace-up flats. Hopefully I'll be able to find some this late in the game ... however, I don't have to find those on Saturday--just a present for myself. That should be very doable
I say no to C's. Not a logo fan, with very few exceptions. But that's personal.

I have several things that aren't perfect. I'm wearing the same two coats for five winters now and I wanted to replace them last year already. However, I haven't found something great yet affordable to replace them with (still waiting for that one piece to go on sale). I guess I wouldn't buy those styles anymore, but they are okay. Plus I only want to buy something perfect to replace them, no compromise with a coat.

Tata: What happened with the shoes? What is wrong with them? They looked nice!! I actually went ahead and ordered a pair of brogues yesterday when the net-a-porter sale (UK) started. I had them on my favorites list for many months now and always thought they would fit perfectly into my wardrobe, but they were too expensive (I simply can't spend more than 500 Euros on a pair of shoes...). But they were 50% off now and I grabbed them. The sweater that I wanted was sold out quickly and resisted the urge to buy anything else in the sales now.

I'll post a pic of the shoes ones they arrive and fit

21-12-2011
backstage pass

Oh, about making list for spring:

I haven't made one already. Many lovely things are coming in that I want :p But I'll observe everything for a while, than I'll have a look at my closet and then I'll make my list. I might buy something at the end of the year if my sale shopping is lower than I thought because I allow myself to buy something extra at the end of the year (usually in sales). But I guess I'll make my lists at the beginning of 2012.

(Plus: I've observed lists aren't to be taken too serious. For example, I had a necklace on my list but ended up buying a pair of earrings insted. I had a sweater on my list but haven't found the perfect one so I just didn't buy any. But this year I bought the two dresses and the boots on my list, so I'm still happy )

21-12-2011
Automated Thread Manager

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, 45, french, piece, wardrobe