How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
So, I'm contemplating ordering two items: a pair of pink heels and a striped peplum blouse, but that means that I will have bought 7 out of the 10 items I can buy untill the end of June.

I'm not doubting that I really want both items and would enjoy them, especially since they are a bit more "fun" than what I've bought already (staples). My logic side is telling me that I should buy something long-lasting, but on the other hand I've already bought 4 very classic items and has a couple more of them on my musthave list.

I'm going to have to sort it out during the next couple of days.
You love stripes and the peplum seems to break it out of the ordinary just enough! I want to see it!

13-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldn View Post
You love stripes and the peplum seems to break it out of the ordinary just enough! I want to see it!
Oh you know me too well Should be arriving in the next couple of days, so I can show it to you guys.

13-03-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodette View Post
Hello all,

1. I want a ruby ring « not sure if i will buy it this year as it's'not priority, but it's'been on my wishlist for ages. And i dont have ring with yellow gold anyway, so ruby + yellow gold sounds nice « still remains elusive

2. Watch « bicolore chain « another item that has been on my wishlist for ages « got watch (the handcuff type), not bicolore but suits me fine

3. White blouse « i dont have any!!! « OTW, from my friend's line (she is local new designer)

4. Coloured blouse « actually got two, one patterned by dvf and another (very cute!!!) One again from my friend's line

5. Nude wedge « has ordered from my favourite shoe designer (local)« am actually thinking whether to buy it or not...

6. Navy strappy shoes « for work :-) « will have them handmade by my fave shoe designer

*cant think about anything else atm*
Posted via Mobile Device
I think I've been quite good. Altho I still not stick to this list 100% (hello, dress here and there), I really reduce my impulse buying a lot. Hopefully this can be sustained.
Posted via Mobile Device

14-03-2012
backstage pass

Hey Betinapple

Show me that striped peplum thingy as soon as it arrives. Sounds great. How about the pink shoes? I saw some pink heels at the Jimmy Choo store, they looked great! But not like something that would fit into my wardrobe, I guess

I'm waiting for April, haha... Buying one item per month is tough right now. But it's okay. I guess it's a good strategy for me since otherwise I'd be temted to shop all the time. I think one thing I've learnt is to no longer give into that "last piece" trap. It made me push the order button really fast two years ago but it also let to a lot of impulse shopping.

Oh, I saw a pair of perfectly gorgeous sandals!! Unfortunatelly they sold out really quickly. But honestly, in a way I was relieved when I saw that they had sold out because otherwise I would have been forced to buy my second pair of flat sandals this season and I guess it's not THE item I need most.....

14-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Hey Betinapple

Show me that striped peplum thingy as soon as it arrives. Sounds great. How about the pink shoes? I saw some pink heels at the Jimmy Choo store, they looked great! But not like something that would fit into my wardrobe, I guess

I'm waiting for April, haha... Buying one item per month is tough right now. But it's okay. I guess it's a good strategy for me since otherwise I'd be temted to shop all the time. I think one thing I've learnt is to no longer give into that "last piece" trap. It made me push the order button really fast two years ago but it also let to a lot of impulse shopping.

Oh, I saw a pair of perfectly gorgeous sandals!! Unfortunatelly they sold out really quickly. But honestly, in a way I was relieved when I saw that they had sold out because otherwise I would have been forced to buy my second pair of flat sandals this season and I guess it's not THE item I need most.....
It is really nothing fancy - just an H&M blouse. Did not want to splurge on this item, since it is a trend thing a not as classic as black ballet flats or the perfect white shirt, which I'm wearing several times a week.

16-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
It is really nothing fancy - just an H&M blouse. Did not want to splurge on this item, since it is a trend thing a not as classic as black ballet flats or the perfect white shirt, which I'm wearing several times a week.
We have a similar style except I'm a guy. Classic but playful and youthful. I think in the states we got that blouse but it's polka dots. I haven't seen it in stripes if it is the same top.

16-03-2012
scenester

I have been trying to do the 4-5 piece wardrobe thing and it's just not working. Does anyone have any ideas for being more selective in shopping? It's not even Spring and I already have 15 new Spring items. Maybe I should be on the shopaholic thread?

16-03-2012
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I ordered a couple of things from the ASOS.com sale... We now have casual Fridays at work, so the jumper is to be paired with skinny jeans & flats or boots for those days (and other casual days of course) and the dress is to replace my favourite black silk dress which is just about ready to disintegrate...

I am really annoyed that the navy sweater I bought didn't wash well. It shrunk despite me following the care instructions & isn't in any way considered oversized anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: png jumper.png (106.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png dress.png (76.4 KB, 0 views)

16-03-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-lily View Post
I have been trying to do the 4-5 piece wardrobe thing and it's just not working. Does anyone have any ideas for being more selective in shopping? It's not even Spring and I already have 15 new Spring items. Maybe I should be on the shopaholic thread?
Few questions for you ... Did you have a plan? What are the 15 things you bought? How happy are you with them all? Will you wear them? Did you need them?

17-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldn View Post
We have a similar style except I'm a guy. Classic but playful and youthful. I think in the states we got that blouse but it's polka dots. I haven't seen it in stripes if it is the same top.
That sounds very interesting! Would love to see som pictures of your style.

I think it is the same one. We have it in both polkadots, stripes and a simple black and pink.

17-03-2012
trendsetter

I'm having trouble ATM figuring out what "counts". When I started my 10 pieces pr. season I decided that gifts don't count as an item, since it is "out of my control". However, I've recieved some blog-related gifts, which I chose myself (from the stock the webshops had to offer), and I cannot figure out wether to count them in or not, since they were actually on my list but werent bought for my own money.

Anyhow, I've bought 7 items so far, 8 counting the ballet flats I just recieved (blog related present) and I've still got 3½ months left before starting over - buying 10 pieces for the AW season.

One of my 3 (2) remaining items is going to be a striped blouse, which I'm contemplating putting on my wish list for my upcoming birthday. The other 2 (1) could be
- a black dress
- a bouclé jacket
- a short sleeved white top
- a black bag (clutch or bigger bag)

or something wild like
- a pair of pink heels
- a statement dress

Since, so far, I've mostly added basic stuff and the peplum top.

What I end up with depends on what I find first. I also should stock up on some accesories and some underwear (which is not included in the 10 items). I have my eyes on a pair of earrings, and I would like to add a pair of cat eye sunglasses to my repetoire. Also need new stockings and a nude t-shirt bra.

This should be doable economicly, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to limit myself. I'll sure try, but I think I might end up with a couple of items more than planned, since I fear that the sales will be hard. Maybe I should try planning what to buy on the sales if marked down.

Last edited by Betinapple; 17-03-2012 at 12:58 AM.

18-03-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Few questions for you ... Did you have a plan? What are the 15 things you bought? How happy are you with them all? Will you wear them? Did you need them?
I had a plan, but I didn't stick to it. I bought:

blue skinny jeans
black skinny jeans
black skirt
dark brown leather skirt
coral dress
gray dress
gray light weight overcoat
dark green scarf
pink flats
brown heels
black flat leather boots
back pack

I returned a navy print top, tan slacks (really nice, but not the best fit), and tan booties.

I'm very happy with the items that I kept. The problem is they're not what I planned for Spring and I did not need them. I need shirts, but I have a difficult time finding shirts (other than t-shirts or knit shirts) that fit well.

I will definitely wear these because other than the coral dress and the leather skirt they are all basics for me.

Last edited by Tiger-lily; 18-03-2012 at 06:05 AM.

18-03-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-lily View Post
I had a plan, but I didn't stick to it. I bought:

blue skinny jeans
black skinny jeans
black skirt
dark brown leather skirt
coral dress
gray dress
gray light weight overcoat
dark green scarf
pink flats
brown heels
black flat leather boots
back pack

I returned a navy print top, tan slacks (really nice, but not the best fit), and tan booties.

I'm very happy with the items that I kept. The problem is they're not what I planned for Spring and I did not need them. I need shirts, but I have a difficult time finding shirts (other than t-shirts or knit shirts) that fit well.

I will definitely wear these because other than the coral dress and the leather skirt they are all basics for me.
Well, you are buying things you really like and will wear, a mix of basics and fun things, and you're returning what doesn't work--that is all very good. A lot of people don't get those things right.

As far as shirts ... maybe you don't really need them? I have stopped wearing button-front shirts for some years now--I have blouses, knit tops, Ts, and sweaters. I'm assuming your fit issue is probably due to being curvy? You might consider whether your life is really being diminished in any way by the lack of these shirts If it's not, then maybe you can just let them go.

If you really do need them, then part of the reason for a shopping plan is it's kind of like an assignment. You work on the hard stuff, you work on the fun stuff, you work on the hard stuff again.

If something is really hard, I have learned to stop and ask myself if I really need to be doing it For example, I don't swim, so I figured out that I don't ever need to shop for swimsuits And with one decision, I eliminated every woman's most difficult shopping task.

The scarf I might not count as an item, unless it's Hermes or similar.

What was your original plan?

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 18-03-2012 at 09:41 AM.

19-03-2012
V.I.P.

^i feel the same way, if something is hard to shop for i end up skipping it.

i consider brown coloured garments and shoes hard to match - so i dont bother. i have only one camel coloured item in my closet.

i agree that shirts are hard to shop for - if you mean shirts for work. are you looking for button down shirts? those can be boxy and the buttons may cause the fabric to pucker. i skip those too. if i need shirts for work i tend to opt for plainer shirts that have the illusion of being business friendly. i can hide those under under blazers.

20-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
^i feel the same way, if something is hard to shop for i end up skipping it.

i consider brown coloured garments and shoes hard to match - so i dont bother. i have only one camel coloured item in my closet.

i agree that shirts are hard to shop for - if you mean shirts for work. are you looking for button down shirts? those can be boxy and the buttons may cause the fabric to pucker. i skip those too. if i need shirts for work i tend to opt for plainer shirts that have the illusion of being business friendly. i can hide those under under blazers.
Oh, I tend to have problems with button downs... They often look to boxy on me. Honestly, I find it hard to find good formal wear for me. Right now I have a job wear I can easily wear colorful shirts and blouses and that's what I'm most comfortable in. Formal trousers are a problem for me, I feel they often are to wide for me.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe