How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-03-2012
backstage pass

Today, I thought about what I bought so far this season and what I still need/want. I think I'm on quite a good way. The only thing I desperatly need now is a cardigan. Everything else are items that I'd love to have, that would serve me well but that aren't total must-haves.

Talking about things that aren't total must-haves: I have been admiring pictures of Mexicana boots for a while now. I recently tried a pair and while I like them, I feel like totally unsure what you'd wear them with and if they are a flattering style for a rather petite, short-legged person. Oh well, and I have no idea yet whether they'd really suit my style either... But I'm looking for inspiration here: Anyone owns a pair of cowboy boots, how do you style them?

(The shoes are pretty expensive, I don't really think I'll spend that much money on a style I'm so unsure about...)

(Seems this season I'm attracted to several pieces that so far never made it to my wardrobe. Not sure what this is all about. I still resisted the neon orange denim jacket though... )

Pic: luxuryhotshoes.com
Attached Images
File Type: png Mexicana-Embroidered-Floral-Boots.png (122.1 KB, 0 views)

20-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
That sounds very interesting! Would love to see som pictures of your style.

I think it is the same one. We have it in both polkadots, stripes and a simple black and pink.
So camera shy. Lol. Well mainly I never have time to take good pictures of myself. But I will try to journal some for you guys.

20-03-2012
trendsetter

The peplum

Worn with items from previous seasons (2 year old jeans and shoes and leather jacket from fall).

Last edited by Betinapple; 20-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.

20-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Anyone owns a pair of cowboy boots, how do you style them?
i literally sold the only pair of cowboots i owned today. i just never wore them. i was originally planning on wearing them with summer babydoll dresses. (they were a bronze colour)

i had originally imagined i was going to wear them in the summertime. i suspect they might have felt sweltering in the summer.

what do you think of the isabel marant "dicker" boots and the hundreds of different knockoffs they inspired? those styles are more wearble IMO

i think i might only wear cowboy boots on vacation in texas or the american southwest. if i was going on vacation at either of these places i might reconsider buying a pair.

Last edited by lucy92; 20-03-2012 at 01:14 PM.

20-03-2012
windowshopping

Whenever I look over to my closet, I just hate it. Largely because there's so many few pieces I actually like and the rest are hidden between these clothes idk why I bothered purchasing. I'm 5'0 with a curvy body type and fitting in clothes that deem stylish on par with my taste is a bummer to my confidence. So I settle on items that are so mediocre you wouldn't I think I cared for my style when that is not the case.

Reading over this thread, I think I'll have to try a bit harder I like the idea behind a minimal wardrobe where you love each item individually, if only if I could reboot ($$$) my entire closet!

20-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant View Post
Whenever I look over to my closet, I just hate it. Largely because there's so many few pieces I actually like and the rest are hidden between these clothes idk why I bothered purchasing.

Reading over this thread, I think I'll have to try a bit harder I like the idea behind a minimal wardrobe where you love each item individually, if only if I could reboot ($$$) my entire closet!
i feel the similarly. i open my closet and i see a lot of items that are near the end of their life. items that could be worn maybe 5 or 6 more times and then donated.

it is a very satisfying feeling finding a garment you a GAGA about.

a few weeks ago, i brought 4 grocery bags of stuff to buffalo exchange (its a consignment store that gives cash on the spot for clothes) with the money i got from selling the clothes i crossed the street to another consignment store and with the money i bought a perfect leather black prada shell top. its made of lambskin and definitely a classic item. i will be posting photos shortly.

20-03-2012
scenester

Fashionista-ta, you're right. Maybe I should reconsider the whole idea and not worry about finding button shirts. I like the look of them, but they don't stay closed if I buy the right size and if I buy a bigger size they are too boxy, like lucy92 mentioned.

My shopping plan was a new dress, skirt, 2 shirts and a pair of oxfords. I guess I was disappointed because I got carried away. I'll have to be more focused next time.

Cute outfit Betinapple!

20-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-lily View Post
Fashionista-ta, you're right. Maybe I should reconsider the whole idea and not worry about finding button shirts. I like the look of them, but they don't stay closed if I buy the right size and if I buy a bigger size they are too boxy, like lucy92 mentioned.

My shopping plan was a new dress, skirt, 2 shirts and a pair of oxfords. I guess I was disappointed because I got carried away. I'll have to be more focused next time.

Cute outfit Betinapple!
Thx a bunch!

20-03-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Today, I thought about what I bought so far this season and what I still need/want. I think I'm on quite a good way. The only thing I desperatly need now is a cardigan. Everything else are items that I'd love to have, that would serve me well but that aren't total must-haves.

Talking about things that aren't total must-haves: I have been admiring pictures of Mexicana boots for a while now. I recently tried a pair and while I like them, I feel like totally unsure what you'd wear them with and if they are a flattering style for a rather petite, short-legged person. Oh well, and I have no idea yet whether they'd really suit my style either... But I'm looking for inspiration here: Anyone owns a pair of cowboy boots, how do you style them?

(The shoes are pretty expensive, I don't really think I'll spend that much money on a style I'm so unsure about...)

(Seems this season I'm attracted to several pieces that so far never made it to my wardrobe. Not sure what this is all about. I still resisted the neon orange denim jacket though... )

Pic: luxuryhotshoes.com
The boots are kinda cute ... I don't own any myself (and I live in the region Lucy mentioned )--I just don't think they're me. They look to me like they'd be cute at the playground, on weekends, casual days at work, with leggings or jeans or maybe casual pants. I would want to try them on ... they look like they might need a significant amount of breaking in (which I am not really willing to do). There are so many soft leather shoes out there, that I figure why should I ever have to suffer

Super cute, betinapple

20-03-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-lily View Post

Cute outfit Betinapple!
Yay, that's one problem solved today

I guess I liked the look of them at one time, as I wore them a lot in college. I used to get up at 5:15 am and iron a pima cotton shirt to wear every day. I think I must have been insane I can't tell you how many years it's been since I ironed, never mind at that ungodly hour ... the clothes I wear now are so much lower maintenance.

Sometimes I do a big shop one season and a small shop the next season, and balance things out that way.

21-03-2012
backstage pass

Elephant: I'm 5'1'', too... My figure isn't exactly curvy, but I have rather short and a bit heavy legs with a thin upper body. I think if you don't have a model's body you need to be even more careful with trends. You really have to find out what looks good and stick to it.

There are many looks I absolutely love when I see them in magazines or on some tall people. Printed pants for example, nice shorts...... Lovely! However, I feel that whenever I wear something that emphasizes my legs I just don't look my best. I look short and slightly heavy and don't feel fabulous. So no matter how much they advocate printed pants this season, I'm not buying them. I try to stick to the things I always feel comfortable in.

My wardrobe also tends to be a bit boring since I often wear simple dark jeans with a more interesting top or a dress. But that's me. I just try to accept that I'm never going to wear a jumpsuit or sequined shorts and don't try to be super cool anymore. I know I can have a nice wardrobe by buying a few special pieces like silk shirt, nice scarves or a cashmere cardigan and pair them with my simple basics. Plus I've also discovered that it's all about shoes... If you have the right shoes, everything else looks good.

So maybe you've been buying too many things that just don't fit your body well? I still don't think you need to dress black from head to toe to look taller. But try to be honest with yourself...

Tata, Lucy: Thank you for your advice regarding the boots. Hm, who knows, maybe some day. But I don't think they should be my priority right now.

Betinapple: That peplum top is super cute!! You're so pretty and stylish in all your pics, I'm in love

Last edited by RedandNavy; 21-03-2012 at 08:39 AM.

21-03-2012
windowshopping

^ Oh defiantly, you make a good point about the trends. There's so many where they obviously only apply to a model proportions like chunky knits and loose tops that us petites swim in. Fortunately spring has arrived so the choices are more forgiving.

And on that note, I went through my closet today getting an idea what I like, and what I don't. When I find the time (or motivation), I think I'll make a list pin pointing what I like to see less/more of.

That jacket sounds beautiful too lucy92, can't wait to see it

21-03-2012
Power to the 99%

I feel the same way about printed slacks, RedandNavy. I loved prints when I was younger, and I'd have been in heaven the past few seasons. Now the only prints I buy and wear often are animal prints. I think the issue is that I'm no longer interested in clothes that make that strong a statement.

Also back in the day I bought floral printed sheets. Now all my sheets are solid white, cream, or natural linen. Hmm ... It's kind of like visual noise, prints. I like the peace of solids now I think ...

22-03-2012
trendsetter

Sigh...my wardrobe is overflowing with pieces that I like and which suit me and my lifestyle but that I am not in love with (gifts, older stuff that I'm bored with but not bad enough to toss out, etc.)...I need to go on a serious styling brainstorm to find out exactly what I need to add and alter in order to dress with more enthusiasm...where to start, where to start...@_@

23-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Sigh...my wardrobe is overflowing with pieces that I like and which suit me and my lifestyle but that I am not in love with (gifts, older stuff that I'm bored with but not bad enough to toss out, etc.)...I need to go on a serious styling brainstorm to find out exactly what I need to add and alter in order to dress with more enthusiasm...where to start, where to start...@_@
Maybe you need to find the pieces in your wardrobe that you DO love and start working there - figure out what would go well with it and make it more wearable. Don't toss everything else out neccesarily. Put it somewhere else, and when you're a little further dowwn the road try to look at it again and see if you can use some of it.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe