How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-04-2012
trendsetter

Ta-ta that sounds really lovely...bound with satin, what a great idea.

Twomonths, I was where you are last year, and Ta-ta's advice was spot on...just wear what you have at first, then once you've worked a while and gotten to know the environment, add as you see absolutely necessary. Before starting my new work I thought it would be impossible without a whole new wardrobe but strangely I got by buying only two new items. Maybe a pair of comfy wedges would be good for you ? In a "weird" color?

I'm dying to get new stuff but still haven't gotten around to organizing my wardrobe, without which I wouldn't know where to start purchasing. Still at square one. No updates here.

09-04-2012
Eat me, drink me

^ thank you Melisande! I'm still holding out on purchasing, but I did eye a pair of green wedges I liked, now that you brought them up! Hehe, it's just a bit hard as I see the everyone dress so boring/conservative and I'm abiding. Wish me luck!

09-04-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by two months off View Post
^ thank you Melisande! I'm still holding out on purchasing, but I did eye a pair of green wedges I liked, now that you brought them up! Hehe, it's just a bit hard as I see the everyone dress so boring/conservative and I'm abiding. Wish me luck!

Ooh, green wedges sound great!! Ah-ha, so like me, "weird" for you is boring/conservative. Just own it, it'll be fine!

When I first started I thought I have to wear gray suits and whatnot, but then I said f that, I'll wear what I want as long as it's respectful...to a conservative office I wear emerald knee-high boots and matching mohair wrap, patent-violet-platform-oxford-slingback-peeptoe-starry-wedges, studded punk boots, Dries van Noten skirts, weird Zucca asymmetrical stuff, jumbles of bracelets and rings, vintage dresses in violent colors...and my colleagues actually like it. Though granted, my clients and boss (grown men) are intimidated by me and run (away) when they see me. Couldn't care less.

09-04-2012
backstage pass

Hi everyone!

Tata: That sounds great with the sweater! Black satin sounds like a very elegant solution for the problem... congrats! Thanks for the hints with the hat... You make me think I should invest a bit more into the search.

Dressing for conservative working environments: I have worked in conservative working environments in the past and there was one lady who managed to look really fashionable without "breaking the rules" too much. I admired her for that. I think you definitely can play around in such environments, too. Usually what is important is that you don't show too much skin, but then there are soo much options. Don't go and buy ten black suits at the beginning. It is good to be a bit conservative the first few days but slowly bring in your style more and more. I think most will admire you for being a bit more daring as long as you don't go for too much simple sexiness.

09-04-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ What about something like this?

Really, though, I would recommend getting something that at least shades your cheekbones. Many women have a giant freckle in that area ... if you could avoid that, you'll be so pleased. Or, you could just embrace it and consider it wabi sabi
Oh, I absolutely love that one. I only wear straw hats on festivals, and I tend to ruin them completely after wearing them pretty much 24/7 for 10 days straight. So I don't really want to splurge on such an item. But I really do love this one. I might check Asos or Topshop for a cheaper version.

Though I really am loving all sorts of caps atm.

I've been pretty good :p
So far almost all of my purchases has been things that I had been planning on getting, and that I have been looking for, for quite some time. A month ago I got a a printed lace blazer from Zara. I've wanted a printed blazer for more than a year.
One purchases that wasn't planned was a printed Dries Van Noten skirt. But I really do love it, and it was quite cheap

I am eying a few pieces from COS though; a black wool scarf and an over-sized black dress, they are all on sale and on my list for next winter. So I might just get those too.

09-04-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Ooh, green wedges sound great!! Ah-ha, so like me, "weird" for you is boring/conservative. Just own it, it'll be fine!

When I first started I thought I have to wear gray suits and whatnot, but then I said f that, I'll wear what I want as long as it's respectful...to a conservative office I wear emerald knee-high boots and matching mohair wrap, patent-violet-platform-oxford-slingback-peeptoe-starry-wedges, studded punk boots, Dries van Noten skirts, weird Zucca asymmetrical stuff, jumbles of bracelets and rings, vintage dresses in violent colors...and my colleagues actually like it. Though granted, my clients and boss (grown men) are intimidated by me and run (away) when they see me. Couldn't care less.
A little intimidation can work to your advantage

My own approach is to be fairly conservative except for one thing--like red shoes. I sometimes show some skin, not a lot. And I never do what everyone else is doing--but that just comes naturally

Women are well established in most workplaces ... I have never had a problem being taken seriously by the vast majority. What you don't want is to look like being sexy is your top priority, and (though I've known someone successful who took this approach) you don't want to look like your last career was call girl and you still have a lot of the clothes.

09-04-2012
Eat me, drink me

Great advice everyone, thanks!

09-04-2012
trendsetter

I totally agree re. avoiding sexiness, or rather too much exposed skin and trashiness.
But not all sexiness must be avoided.
I think a touch of sexiness for your own sake (and not for the men) can command even more professional power.
It's less professional to look like a weak-willed secretary in a conservative suit than to look like a fiercely sexy prime minister in stiletto boots in control of herself and her world. Even if, of course, you are a secretary.

10-04-2012
backstage pass

Wore my new trench to work today and felt so chic!!! I love love love it. Sometimes it's really worth just going for something. I guess the balance between reasonable shopping and an occassional splurge is what makes it work. Really happy with my lovely new item!

12-04-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
A little intimidation can work to your advantage

you don't want to look like your last career was call girl and you still have a lot of the clothes.
Hahahaha......

Very interesting comments from all on the working wardrobe issue :d

Btw my bangle watch is broken!!!! The pin unhinges so it can't clasp. It's still under warranty, but that kinda piss me off n makes me wonder on my decision to buy watch based on the model, not from a "watch house" (mine is burberrry).

It's a pity that the established watch house doesn't have something that I like yet. Now I feel like having to sacrifice quality for model that I love.
Posted via Mobile Device

12-04-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Sorry to hear that, but glad it's still under warranty ... it can be hard to find a watch you like. I have seen really nice ones at Marc Jacobs. Mine I wear all the time are Movado and Michele (I like leather straps). The Movado I'm wearing today was one of the very first things I bought after I graduated from college. Still like it ...

13-04-2012
rising star

Strange thing happens today. My other watch (also a movado) has suddenly stopped working today. I just got the battery replaced like 2 months ago, so I don't know the issue! It's pain in the *** as I bought all my watches when I was abroad, so servicing them is not quite easy here (movado is not in my country and I don't know where the repair service for burberry).

Oh well. So maybe I am not destined to wear watches now. This weekend I will go diving so I can't go to the repair place for my bangle watch.

Thanks, ta-ta. Agreed that marc jacobs (and michael kors) are nice. In fact am eyeing one.
Posted via Mobile Device

14-04-2012
Power to the 99%

nordstrom
Got these today ... not exciting, but something to wear in place of the black jeans that are no more. Unfortunately one size was tight, and the next a little too loose ... I went up a size. I am planning to shrink a bit so I may have them tailored later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jag black pants.jpg (6.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 14-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.

15-04-2012
backstage pass

Congrats on finding the pants you needed, ta-ta!

Watches: Even being Swiss I don't own any I hope that will change sooner or later, but right now it's none of my top priorities. My model of choice would clearly be a Charriol, the St. Tropez line. The one I want costs about 1'500 dollars, so not an easy and quick purchase.

Lace dress: I've seen a lace dress I absolutely love. I could very well use it for an upcoming wedding and any other party occassions. Its cut and color (coral) are great. But I feel a bit insecure since lace is so very trendy right now... Do you think something like a coral lace dress is so much a thing of the moment that it will look totally dated soon? I always feel so insecure to shop a very trendy item...

15-04-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Thanks, R&N. I think if you really love it, you can still 'own' it with no problem when it's no longer a red hot trend.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe