How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-12-2011
tfs star

So I decided against the J. Crew pants. I wasn't in love with them and didn't want to put in the money for alterations so it was a no-brainer. The fit just wasn't right.

I did, however, find a suit. They didn't have my size in stores so I had to have it ordered online. It may still be slightly big on me, but I loved the material and the color so putting in the extra money for alterations would be completely worth it. I agree with you, fashionista-ta, I do love unmatched suits. But the field I am going into is super conservative so unfortunately, a matched suit is what I needed to buy. However, the pieces would make for great separates, especially the blazer. I am super excited! :p

27-12-2011
windowshopping

Thanks for the suggestion of creating a capsule wardrobe fashionista-ta, I think I'll do just that.

My biggest problem is that I'm getting older, I find that some of my clothes no longer fit my body or my lifestyle. Some things are easier to get rid of than others, but I'm having the hardest time with my separates! My DH lovingly says that I'm stacked like the Library of Congress, so I find jeans/skirts cut me off in an awkward way. Which is why I have over 100 dresses. (That's a lot, I know)

My first order of business is to find a good local tailor...maybe he or she can help with the fit of my jeans/skirts. Or am I expecting miracles?

27-12-2011
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBelle View Post
Thanks for the suggestion of creating a capsule wardrobe fashionista-ta, I think I'll do just that.

My biggest problem is that I'm getting older, I find that some of my clothes no longer fit my body or my lifestyle. Some things are easier to get rid of than others, but I'm having the hardest time with my separates! My DH lovingly says that I'm stacked like the Library of Congress, so I find jeans/skirts cut me off in an awkward way. Which is why I have over 100 dresses. (That's a lot, I know)

My first order of business is to find a good local tailor...maybe he or she can help with the fit of my jeans/skirts. Or am I expecting miracles?
Too funny

I don't understand the jeans/skirts problem ... can you explain a bit more? How tall are you?

28-12-2011
windowshopping

fashionista-ta, I'm 5"10, and up until a year or two ago, was built like Jessica Rabbit. Now, genetics are starting to catch up with me, and my stomach isn't...ahem...as flat as it was. So now my skirts and jeans seem to cut me off in an unflattering way. My waistline seems to have raised a inch or two, at least visually.

Dresses are easier to wear, so that's what I'm wearing while I figure out my jeans and skirts. I don't know if it's possible to tailor a skirt to adjust for my new figure. I haven't gained any weight, it's just shifted a bit. That sounds so strange, I know...

28-12-2011
Power to the 99%

^ Are you willing to start wearing your tops out over your skirts/jeans?

29-12-2011
rising star

Have you tried spanx, HoneyBelle? I know some find them uncomfortable, but I don't think they are that bad, even all day. That could possibly help a bit.

29-12-2011
windowshopping

ATM1985, I have an old pair industrial-type Spanx I used to wear with a strapless dress. I start to have a panic attack every time I think about wearing it, so I don't wear it any more. But I've heard the company makes some medium/light control pieces that are really good. Do you have a certain line that you like? (If that's not to personal of a question)

fashionista-ta, I don't mind wearing shirts untucked, the challenge is to make sure the tops fit perfectly, otherwise I look very boxy. I've tried on all of my tops, and they are either too big or just a smidge too small. Grrrrrr. Maybe I'll take the "too big" pile to the tailor, and see if they can alter them...

29-12-2011
rising star

Quote:
ATM1985, I have an old pair industrial-type Spanx I used to wear with a strapless dress. I start to have a panic attack every time I think about wearing it, so I don't wear it any more. But I've heard the company makes some medium/light control pieces that are really good. Do you have a certain line that you like? (If that's not to personal of a question)

fashionista-ta, I don't mind wearing shirts untucked, the challenge is to make sure the tops fit perfectly, otherwise I look very boxy. I've tried on all of my tops, and they are either too big or just a smidge too small. Grrrrrr. Maybe I'll take the "too big" pile to the tailor, and see if they can alter them...
I have one of those tanks - not sure of the name/line, but it's from Spanx and it's got about a medium control, I'd guess. I had worn some other control things before that were torture, but this really doesn't feel like it. It just gives a smooth line under tops and flattens my stomach a bit.

29-12-2011
Power to the 99%

Quote:

That sounds like a good idea ... maybe just the right belt would do the trick too.

I have seen shapewear that I should acquire but haven't yet ... it's a tank that swoops under your bra. I have one with a built-in bra (Spanx), and it has a couple issues ... one, it creeps up, and two, the bra really sucks compared to my real ones. So I really like the idea of one that lets me wear my own bra. Considering Spanx' reputation, I have found the stuff of theirs I've bought to be a bit amateur ... it doesn't work quite right.

01-01-2012
backstage pass

Still waiting for my jacket to arrive but my brogues got here! Very nice purchase, they look great and of very good quality. Can't wait to wear them. They fit well and will definitely be a staple in spring and autumn. I'm not sure whether I'll always wear them with the purple shoelace so. It makes the shoes fun, but a more neutral lace could make it more of a classic. We'll see.

I also finally bought my pair of jeans in Munich. I actually bought the exact pair like I've been wearing for two years now. I always loved it. It's a pair of CLOSED pedal position denim and I didn't want to bother finding a perfect pair when I actually already had one (which is a bit worn now, though).

So here are the shoes, pic by net-a-porter.com:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg esquivel.jpg (37.8 KB, 3 views)

01-01-2012
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Well, I'm back in this thread after a little while of not posting and I think it's because I will be planning my autumn/winter wardrobe soon and that is the season that inspires me the most. I have a pretty decent A/W wardrobe already, so I'll just need a few new pieces to spice things up. I have in mind:

Marc by Marc Jacobs Petal To The Metal Natasha Bag in Black
Black Cashmere V-Neck or Scoop Neck Sweater
Black Ballet Flats
Black Wedge Boots (or round toe wedge heels)
Joie Louvre Silk Blouse in Navy
a black or red pea coat
& another pair of dark denim skinny jeans

Last edited by Belowen; 01-01-2012 at 05:19 AM.

01-01-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post

So here are the shoes, pic by net-a-porter.com:
I have shoes like this, which I like, but I never know how to wear them?
What do you wear them with?

01-01-2012
backstage pass

Hi Mint!

Wekk, I only just got them but I think they look great with my uniform in autumn / winter: a pair of dark skinny jeans that end at the ankle and a cashmere sweater (usually one in purple, royal blue or camel). I might try them with some of my dresses since the style / color goes well with my dresses. But I'm not sure it'll look flattering since I'm short legged.

I basically needed a pair of flat leather shoes for the more casual days. Which have become more since I have kids. And I still don't really like sneakers, so these are a great alternative for me.

01-01-2012
front row

Interesting to hear more about individual body shapes, too. As my style has altered over the past few years, it has been quite a learning curve readjusting to new shapes, and whether or not they work with my proportions. I am slightly high waisted (with long legs for my height/shortish torso), and even though I am very slim, I have encountered tons of issues with certain garments - especially high waisted stuff, like pencil skirts, which leave me next to no space above the waistband, so tucking shirts into them is a farce for me!

When people discuss basic shapes, they usually talk about it in a very basic way, which doesn't really allow for variations (ie, no two pear shapes are the same, etc). I would love to hear more discussion about this, but perhaps in another thread?

My own 'perfect wardrobe' has been coming along oh so slowly in recent months. My original good intentions to minimise spending and concentrate on quality sort of fell short on a few occasions, too.I have discovered the hard way that higher end items do not always equate with high quality or good fit, and some of my favourite pieces turned out to be high street, even though I have placed an almost permanent ban on anything polyester. I have become somewhat sickened by the very act of consumption, regardless the mindset, so I guess it's time for a break!

01-01-2012
fashion elite

^ I have the opposite problem of you. Very long torso, and short legs. I actually don't mind it at all, except when I gain weight, because when it gets to my stomach tucking in shirts is difficult for me, too. The thing is, here in Canada, they make women's shirts so short it drives me really crazy. Like, the exact same style in a man's shirt will be sooooo much longer, so I'll sometimes buy that. It makes no sense to me; women's shirts always look like children's shirts to me. I also hate the style; long shirts that you can tuck in are so much classier than stupid shirts that show the sides of your waist.

RedandNavy, thanks so much for this; I think it will help me!

Last edited by mint condish; 01-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe