How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-05-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBoots View Post
Has anyone ever bought two pairs of the same shoes just because she wants it to be a staple despite any unforeseen future wear and tear? I bought a pair of shoes at Urban Outfitters today and I'm worried that the quality won't last me through the season. I love the look and I'm debating whether I should spend some extra money to keep another pair in the closet, just in case. It's so hard to find a good pair of outdoor sandals otherwise. Am I being too neurotic? Has anyone else ever thought to do this?

Here's the link to my purchase: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...sp?id=23746175
I've thought of doing it with some of my wardrobe staples, like my striped tee e.g., but I've come to the conclusion, that when they wear out, I will probably want something else anyway.

23-05-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBoots View Post
Has anyone ever bought two pairs of the same shoes just because she wants it to be a staple despite any unforeseen future wear and tear? I bought a pair of shoes at Urban Outfitters today and I'm worried that the quality won't last me through the season. I love the look and I'm debating whether I should spend some extra money to keep another pair in the closet, just in case. It's so hard to find a good pair of outdoor sandals otherwise. Am I being too neurotic? Has anyone else ever thought to do this?

Here's the link to my purchase: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...sp?id=23746175
I haven't, but I typically also buy high quality shoes that will be repairable in case of wear. Since I don't buy that many things, I like the variety of needing to bring in new things when something wears out ...

24-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
I've thought of doing it with some of my wardrobe staples, like my striped tee e.g., but I've come to the conclusion, that when they wear out, I will probably want something else anyway.
I have done it once with a pair of pants, but even then I came to the same conclusion like Betinapple. As much as you might love something now and even if there are moments when saying goodbye to a worn out piece really hurts... it's a good thing that we need to bring new things into our wardrobe from time to time. Besides, I personally don't think that the sandals look like an absolutely timeless style (although they are nice). I probably wouldn't do it.

29-05-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

Concerning buying two of each; I've done it a few times with very basic items such as jeans and t-shirts, if I happen to find them in the perfect fit, material and colour. But the items really has to be very basic for me to do it.

29-05-2012
V.I.P.

i have bought back ups of items before...

two were denim pieces (a denim romper and a pair of jeans in a flattering cut).
the jeans were awesome because i wouldnt have to tailor them to be made shorter (i'm petite) the romper i wore once a week during a summer when the average temps were 85+. i was obsessed with it...both rompers are still in great condition.

the original jeans i wore so much that the crotch ripped out and other parts of it became distressed....so i'm thankful for the backup. the original jeans i had mended of course. there's no way i'm going to get rid of them.

and i'm also thankful because of the designer of them is in precarious health and is not active these days.

and its almost time to break out the romper again... even though i might be a tad too old for a romper.

my advice would be to someone that wants a backup is to create an ebay alert for the item. that will help you make up your mind in a few months. if the item is cheap enough it and on clearance, grab it i say.

29-05-2012

^I think with the right styling everyone can wear rompers. I've already worn mine on a few occasions this season.

I've gone a bit crazy in COS the last week, but because I'm really feeling like wearing a lot of black and charcoal this summer most of these buys have been in those colours and therefore I defend my splurging by arguing that they function as winter pieces too

One of my purchases is this wool scarf which I've been wanting for months. And a pic of Tilda Swinton made me finally succumb to buying it. I'm also thinking about getting it in black for winter.

I also got these two dresses (in dark charcoal and black).

So that means that my spring/summer wardrobe is pretty much covered. And the only thing I'm now looking for (except for a few replacement pieces) is a khaki coloured shirt that isn't sheer nor in polyester and a pair of neon yellow/lime coloured sandals.

29-05-2012

^ Whoops forgot to credit. Every pic above is taken from cosstores.com.

31-05-2012
trendsetter

So. I think I've found the perfect boucle jacket. It is gorgeous, classic but with a bit of an edge. However, apart from being quite expensive in comparism to what I was thinking of spending on such a piece, it is grey, and even though I'm sure it would look great with all my clothes in black, white, grey and deep and dark colours, I'm not sure how well it will go with pink and yellow. And if it really matters, since I only have 3 pieces left in very bright colours, and is not planning on buying more.

I was planning on getting a black one, but I still haven't seen any that matches the picture I've got in my head.

31-05-2012

^Personally I love grey with yellow. And I do think it looks nice with pink as well. How good it looks might of course depend on the overall look of the different pieces, but in general I really do like those colours together .

01-06-2012
front row

^ I was going to say the exact same thing as Tinetush

01-06-2012
trendsetter

Thanks for your input ladies. If actually think you are right. At least regarding yellow wich leaves a maximum of two pieces left, that might not work with the jacket, and that I think I can live with. I really hope it makes it to the sales.

06-06-2012
front row

yesterday, I found one of the things on my list while thrifting: a lighter cardigan. yay! it's beautiful, a weighty cotton mossstitch one in taupe, from comptoir des cottoniers, with an a-symmetrical button closure and lovely pleats at the neck and the sleeves. really simple without being too simple, and femine without being prissy. I also found a tunic by paul & joe. the tunic didn't flatter me at all, nor was it my taste exactly, but it's 100% cashmere in a lovely warm light grey colour, and I'm frogging it to knit something else more flattering and more my taste.
I now have three cardigans in my wardrobe: a black wool humanoid one, an almost weightless light grey one, and this new comptoir des cottoniers one. all thrifted, now that I think of it I could do with another lightweight one for summer, but it's not really necessary.

06-06-2012
front row

I found a picture of the cardigan online! cute polaroid
picture from modeandthecity.blogspot.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GILET+CDC-pola01.jpg (129.5 KB, 2 views)

07-06-2012
trendsetter

I'm considering getting rid of half of my shoes. Or more. I've done some major cleanouts of my closet, but I have kept almost all of my shoes, even though I mainly wear the same 5-10 pairs. I've been thinking if I would regret it, since I really do think shoes make or break an outfit, but what good is it to have 20 pairs of shoes just sitting around?

I love high heels, but I've gotten too lazy to wear uncomfortable shoes, so from now on I'll do my best to only buy heeled shoes that are comfortable, and buy more flats. I love ballet flats, and a pair of glitter ones would be a really nice addition and good for events where I want to wear nice shoes - but do not want sore feet.

I've already started by throwing my worn out black basic ballet flats out. They were not pretty anymore, and because of the thin sole the hurt my feet. Progress aldready

I''m thinking about keeping:

- My acne pistols (black ancle boots)
- Navy cut-out ancle boots
- Black ballet flats
- Nude ballet flats
- Dark green patent brogues
- Black, classic pumps
- Red satin stilettos
- Grey heeled sandals
- Honey colored nubuck sandals
- Flat tan sandals
- Converse hi-tops, stars and stripes
- A pair of fun heels. Black, white and red with stripes and dots.

In all: 12 pairs. It sounds like a lot, actually, and even though my paniccy mind is afraid I will need some of the pairs I'm getting rid of, I can not see when I would ever need it, since I never wear them now that I have them.

The only pair on my doubt list a pair of silver stiletto sandals. Also I'm thinking a pair of nude patent pumps would be a nice addition, when I find the right pair.

Would you be able to do with twelwe pairs of shoes, and would you be able to look good for all occasions with the shoes on my list? What kind of shoes is an essential in your wardrobe?

07-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
I have done it once with a pair of pants, but even then I came to the same conclusion like Betinapple. As much as you might love something now and even if there are moments when saying goodbye to a worn out piece really hurts... it's a good thing that we need to bring new things into our wardrobe from time to time. Besides, I personally don't think that the sandals look like an absolutely timeless style (although they are nice). I probably wouldn't do it.
ah thanks to betinapple, fashionista-ta, Tinetushm, lucy92, and RedandNavy above for your lovely inputs.

I ended up not making a second purchase afterall. It really would not have been worth it, especially since (1) they're from Urban Outfitters and especially since (2) I found no use for the item after packing it with me to South America. (Buenos Aires, though, a very metropolitan city that prides itself on its European influence so no worries about me being slightly delusional about packing and traveling ha .)

I was so motivated at the time (to purchase two of the same item) because it's such a rarity these days for me to find a piece of clothing or footwear that I instantly gravitate towards. In the past, shopping is either a pain or a breeze in that once I lay eyes on something, it's an instant yes or no, I want it or no not at all. But, sadly enough, it appears that it's always the latter reaction nowadays,

This must be my favorite thread in all of tfs because I am sick of accumulating unnecessary items and, more than ever, in slow pursuit of defining my personal style. I'm twenty now and I think getting sick of H&M and UO even though it's what is reasonably priced. Saving up and doing endless amounts of research online is more gratifying now more than ever even though successes are far and between. Next up on my "must find" list is oddly enough is a pair of everyday boots (hmmm.... doc martens or oxford boots)—a true throwback to when I was seventeen and first created my username. :p

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe