How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-06-2012
Power to the 99%

As far as shoe wardrobe, right now the big thing I am missing is I need to replace my black oxford flats I tossed at the end of last season--will need to be either oxfords or Mary Janes.

I have a tower of clear plastic boxes that I keep my shoes in. I typically keep shoes unless they're worn out, and unless I need to make space.

Here's what I have:
  • Plaid wedge espadrilles with green alligator trim
  • Cream suede with purple platform espadrille sandals
  • Black suede with red and natural platform espadrille sandals
  • Black ballets (floral trim)
  • Red D'orsay ballets--distressed patent
  • Red patent Mary Jane block heels (100 mm)
  • Russet patent Mary Jane stillettos with topstitching (100 mm)
  • Black glazed kidskin 80mm pumps
  • Black 100 mm sandals with silver bead on black grosgrain trim
  • Brown kitten heel slides with faux coral and diamante ornament
  • Silvered black leather slides with ~ 2.5" black lacquer heel
  • Silver goatskin sandals with low faceted Lucite heel
  • Rose gold goatskin sandals with high faceted leather heel
  • Black peau de soie mid-heel slingbacks (these I should probably get rid of)
  • Black velvet with mid black lacquer heel--grosgrain lacing and bow
  • Black suede stiletto booties with grosgrain bound cutouts and satin bow tie
  • Tri-color grey/taupe/cream oxfords with grosgrain laces
  • Purple basketweave slingback ballets
  • Black 100mm slingbacks with white blanket stitching (don't wear these much)
As you can see, I'm a big believer in statement shoes. Probably most of these have been repaired at least once--some several times. I don't wear the statement heels all the time, but I feel they are well worth having when I want to dress up, even if I don't wear most of them on a daily basis. The ones with the silver beads stop traffic The wedge espadrilles, red block heels, and black pumps I wear frequently to work, along with all the lower heels. The coral slides I have worn to death, and don't plan to give up until I have to.

08-06-2012
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: I think statement shoes are great - I'm just not sure how great they are, just sitting around in my closet. Most of the shoes go well with maybe ONE outfit, maybe two, usually really dressy-dresses, and therefore is only worn a couple of times in a year - now, that is. Before I was better at getting all of my shoes used, but these days I definetely have my favourites.

I think it would be better for me to get rid of the shoes that I'm not using and use the money on some that I will love and wear often, instead, like the glitter flats i metioned. Also I would like a pair of mary-janes with a thick heel, because I'm lazy, but actually would like to wear high heels for some of my everyday outfits. I've also been thinking that I could use a pair of wild-but-still-black shoes. I love my pistols and wear them a lot, so another pair of heeled shoes that are comfortable but also show-stopping would be great for both everyday and partying.

Thx for your input

09-06-2012
rising star

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of "wild but black" shoes are Alexander McQueen spiked pumps!

09-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of "wild but black" shoes are Alexander McQueen spiked pumps!
Thanks for the input. Unfortuately I'm not a spike-kinda-gal I'm thinking something sculptural, since I would like something that is not a stiletto - since I rarely wear those I already do have - but I haven't seen the perfect ones yet.

21-06-2012
backstage pass

Hey! There isn't much happening on here right now, eh?

I've been saving my June budget for the sales and when the NAP sale finally started I quickly put my hands on two knitted items I've been lusting after for months. I definitely needed some knitwear for typical autumn/spring temperatures. Both items arrived today and fit very well. I'm thrilled! Both have been on my wishlist forever but they were to expensive at their original price.

The cardigan is by Nina Ricci, the golden yellow top is YSL.

Pics by Net-a-Porter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninaricci2.jpg (435.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ysl.jpg (14.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ninaricci1.jpg (16.0 KB, 1 views)

21-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Hey! There isn't much happening on here right now, eh?

I've been saving my June budget for the sales and when the NAP sale finally started I quickly put my hands on two knitted items I've been lusting after for months. I definitely needed some knitwear for typical autumn/spring temperatures. Both items arrived today and fit very well. I'm thrilled! Both have been on my wishlist forever but they were to expensive at their original price.

The cardigan is by Nina Ricci, the golden yellow top is YSL.

Pics by Net-a-Porter
Wow! That sweater is divine. How many items have you bought this season so far?

There is something going on with me - actually I've bought all of the fifteen items that were my new goal AND I've bough item no 16. Not really what I had planned, but the perfect bouclé jacket finally showed, and I did not want to let "imaginary" limitations get in the way of that.

ATM I'm trying to figure out what my goal for the next season should be; 10 or 15 items. I think I'll go with 10 - not that I went all that well this season, but because I've covered all the holes I had in my wardrobe and want to focus my money on other stuff (savings, vacations)

22-06-2012
backstage pass

Hey Betinapple

My season started in January with the cherry sandals. I think I've bought 8 items since. I might try to get another item in the sales or even two, which would make 9-10 items. That's about 4-5 items a season (if you count spring / summer separately) which is fine.

I don't know about you but personally I think it's easier to shop fewer pieces in autumn / winter. In autumn / winter I need fewer things. With a great sweater, a pair of boots, a pair of trousers, a knit dress and a coat I'm ready for nearly everything. So all I have to do is make sure these things are there, and in good quality so they last long.

Any pics of the boucle jacket?

Last edited by RedandNavy; 22-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.

22-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Hey Betinapple

My season started in January with the cherry sandals. I think I've bought 8 items since. I might try to get another item in the sales or even two, which would make 9-10 items. That's about 4-5 items a season (if you count spring / summer separately) which is fine.

I don't know about you but personally I think it's easier to shop fewer pieces in autumn / winter. In autumn / winter I need fewer things. With a great sweater, a pair of boots, a pair of trousers, a knit dress and a coat I'm ready for nearly everything. So all I have to do is make sure these things are there, and in good quality so they last long.

Any pics of the boucle jacket?
I think the same thing applies to me, AND, as said before, all the "holes" i had in my wardrobe when I started this season, I've covered now. The only things I kind of need is a nice coat (I have a parka but would like a classic wool coat) and a black bag/clutch for clubbing. Everything else will just be fun. Also, I do not want to speend so much money on clothes this upcoming season, so I'm pretty sure I'll go with 10 again.

Pics coming up as soon as I can get myself together and get up from my oh-so-comfortable seat

23-06-2012
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

My original A/W wishlist was -

Quote:
Marc by Marc Jacobs Petal To The Metal Natasha Bag in Black
Black Cashmere V-Neck or Scoop Neck Sweater
Black Ballet Flats
Black Wedge Boots (or round toe wedge heels)
Joie Louvre Silk Blouse in Navy
a black or red pea coat
& another pair of dark denim skinny jeans

I think I've done quite well this season, I managed to hold off purchasing anything unnecessary (despite buying more than what was on my original list) and everything that I've bought I've managed to work into my existing wardrobe quite well.

From my original list I purchased the black ballet flats, round toe wedge heels & the dark denim skinny jeans. I didn't purchase the Joie blouse, but found a cheaper alternative at a store near my house that works just as well. I dug out my old H&M trench coat and realised that I didn't really need to purchase a new coat this season, so I'll hold off until next year for that item.

I also didn't bother purchasing a new cashmere sweater because for some reason there are invisible moths in my wardrobe that have eaten holes in all of my cashmere and until I can figure out a solution for this (I've tried everything - any suggestions are welcome!) I'm not going to spend money on cashmere that could be destroyed.

I didn't end up getting the MBMJ bag in black, I ordered it in pink for spring/summer because that was the colour on sale at Netaporter recently. I did end up buying 3 other new handbags, which I can justify because 2 of my old faithful bags recently fell to pieces. And, well I just really wanted a garnet/oxblood coloured bag so when I saw the one I had been lusting after heavily reduced, I bought it.

On top of those items I also purchased a few blouses, sweaters, a scarf & a long sleeve dress that I have gotten a LOT of wear out of. Everything works well and I really feel like I've honed my style down to what I've wanted it to be for years.

I'll start thinking about spring/summer in a month or so, for now I just want to enjoy this cold Winter weather

24-06-2012
trendsetter

RedandNavy: here ya go

@Belowen: sounds like you did a very good joob! How many items did you end up with?

24-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belowen View Post
I also didn't bother purchasing a new cashmere sweater because for some reason there are invisible moths in my wardrobe that have eaten holes in all of my cashmere and until I can figure out a solution for this (I've tried everything - any suggestions are welcome!) I'm not going to spend money on cashmere that could be destroyed.
this is a very difficult situation.

the moths are trying to eat the dead skin cells that collect on the cashmere.

i would dry clean or wash in woolite yourself the sweaters you do have or the cashmere sweaters you get in the future.

the moth larvae might be hatching in your carpets or in your potted plants. do you have any plants indoors? if so, change the soil to be safe.

moth balls or other moth treatments are tricky because to be effective they have to be used in very enclosed or sealed places. so they might not be very effective in your closet (depending on what kind of closet you have)

clothes moths dont like light. i would get a LED or some other slightly more environmentally friendly light and and leave it on ALL the time in the closet. you can get those stick on lights that only cost a few dollars. that might scare them away.

Last edited by lucy92; 24-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.

25-06-2012
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Belowen: sounds like you did a very good job! How many items did you end up with?
Thank you! I've done a quick calculation and all up for Autumn/Winter I purchased 25 items (including jewelery & accessories). More than I had expected! But looking at the quick list I've jotted down, 4 of those pieces were replacing something else that I had worn out in my wardrobe, and I am getting regular wear out of everything I bought so it's all good

Lucy - Thank you so much for the cashmere advice! We have no indoor plants and get the carpets cleaned regularly so I don't know where they're coming from. I'll look into setting up an LED light in the wardrobe & see if that helps. Thanks again!

25-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belowen View Post
Thank you! I've done a quick calculation and all up for Autumn/Winter I purchased 25 items (including jewelery & accessories). More than I had expected! But looking at the quick list I've jotted down, 4 of those pieces were replacing something else that I had worn out in my wardrobe, and I am getting regular wear out of everything I bought so it's all good

Lucy - Thank you so much for the cashmere advice! We have no indoor plants and get the carpets cleaned regularly so I don't know where they're coming from. I'll look into setting up an LED light in the wardrobe & see if that helps. Thanks again!
It's no shame (I was going for 10 items - ended up with no less than 16). The most important thing is that you got good stuff that you can use - and you did. At least that is what I tell myself.

30-06-2012
backstage pass

Betinapple: Sorry for not writing before... That is a great boucle jacket! Thanks for sharing! Where did u find it?

I was at the swimming pool today. Lord, the world is full of unflattering swimsuits... I'm quite amazed at what some of these ladies were wearing, many really awful and unflattering fits and prints. ... But while I've bought my bikini at the beginning of the year and I'm very happy with it, I might need some more swimwear. I've been going to the pool very regularly lately and I feel I need to have something to change into.

I'm having an eye on a very nice swimsuit but I will see if they add it to the sales later on. I still think I might buy another piece or two in the sales (I have a list with about five items I'm watching) and then I'll start the new season in August.

30-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Betinapple: Sorry for not writing before... That is a great boucle jacket! Thanks for sharing! Where did u find it?

I was at the swimming pool today. Lord, the world is full of unflattering swimsuits... I'm quite amazed at what some of these ladies were wearing, many really awful and unflattering fits and prints. ... But while I've bought my bikini at the beginning of the year and I'm very happy with it, I might need some more swimwear. I've been going to the pool very regularly lately and I feel I need to have something to change into.

I'm having an eye on a very nice swimsuit but I will see if they add it to the sales later on. I still think I might buy another piece or two in the sales (I have a list with about five items I'm watching) and then I'll start the new season in August.
Not to worry I'm very happy about it and have worn it several times already.

It is from By Zoé and can be bought at John Lewis (on sale ATM).

I think a second bathingsuit/bikini would be a good idea. I like having a couple of picks, not just for my mood, but also regarding logistics.

My new season starts tomorrow, and I almost have my musthavelist finished. I do not have as many things that I "need" as I did the previous season, but I have a couple of things I would like to add to my wardrobe.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe