How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-07-2012
backstage pass

Dress arrived!!

It is gorgeous! I'm always surprised when I order a dress and it really fits well and this one really does! Honestly, I have no idea why noone else than me wanted that style (it was 70% off). I think it's totally flattering and cute. But well, maybe I should be happy that others didn't see "it"... Really happy, once again my sale purchases were a huge success!

Going to post my FW list later, I'm working on it. "Good bye, spring summer shopping season"...

Pictures by Net-A-Porter.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcqueen1.jpg (17.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mcqueen2.jpg (13.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by RedandNavy; 05-07-2012 at 05:54 AM.

05-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Very cute ... I love draping, so flattering!

05-07-2012
trendsetter

Great dress R&N. Bet it will look great on you - especially the coral colour!

I have a really big desire to shop ATM, but there is nothing i REALLY want, and I want to wait to start filling in my slots as long as possible. Instead I've accesorized and bought a real cheap - but very nice - pair of glasses to update my look.

05-07-2012
trendsetter

.. I am however contemplating finally buying the YSL mail clutch. I've wanted it for a long time, and my black clutch for going-out needs to be replaced, and since I've heard that the YSL brand will be changing its name to simply "Saint Laurent" I'm not sure how much longer I will wait, in case they will stop producing it.

05-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Hey everyone!

The dress was being delivered to me on Tuesday but I was out for a two day trip (in the Alps, it was beautiful). So it should be delivered again today. As soon as I know it fits I am going to post a picture.

Tata: Sounds like a lovely plan for your wedding. I LOVE Miu Miu shoes. I'm making good experiences with my Miu Miu pumps I bought in spring 11, I've been adapting to them now and they serve me very well. I also have to pair of Miu Miu shoes on my online wish list. For me, they are among the few designer shoes that seem to fit my foot (they are not that narrow around the toe area). One pair I really admire right now is a pair on nude open toe pumps from Miu Miu with a bow.
Aren't those Miu Mius with the open toe on sale right now? I feel like I tried them on in Saks?!

RedandNavy, no idea how that dress made it to 70% off, lucky you!

So I got the neon bag and now I recall that I didn't get into neon the first time around. Back it goes! Online ordering is the pits. I need to drag myself to some local shops.

06-07-2012
backstage pass

Thank you guys for the nice words about the dress. My hubby loved it when I tried it on in the evening. I'm really happy with it. My wardrobe is moving into the right direction I think. I still don't see myself as very talented when it comes to styling but I have the feeling I'm slowly being more focused and it starts to pay off.

Lessons learnt from SS12 shopping season:
  1. Sometimes when I buy something on my list I feel like I need another piece of the same item. Example: Remember I felt like buying another swimsuit? I felt the same way about the sandals: I bought the cherry sandals in January and felt like I needed another more neutral pair. BUT: I think in such situations it's good to wait and tell yourself that you actually have covered the hole in the closet and that there still is time for a bit more variety next season. So: I do own a bikini and a pair of flat sandals now, I wear them and next season I can still add another piece.
  2. Sometimes it's good to buy something that isn't on your list. My best purchase of the season was my Trench. It wasn't on my list but I really really loved its look and just had to get it. Now it always makes me feel great when I put it on. While I think making lists and sticking to them is a good thing, maybe one item per season can be something you really didn't see coming.
  3. Going into the sales prepared is super important. It really has paid off that I pick my favorites for the sales before the sales actually start. Like this its still the item that seduces me and not the reduction tag.

And here comes my list for FW 12/13:
  1. A down jacket for cold and wet winter days. Color: Navy, camel, olive or burgundy
  2. 2 sweaters and/or cardigans, one for fall (leight weight) and a thicker one for winter. Ideally one in a neutral solid, one with a print
  3. A knit dress
  4. Formal trousers in neutral color (I still think I should have them even though I haven’t really missed them either….)
  5. Biker boots for bad weather and casual days
  6. A knee high boot with a heel
  7. Another pair of heeled ankle boots*
  8. A pair of pumps in brown, camel, olive or burgundy*
  9. A bag for every day, preferably in brown, camel, olive to go with everything*
  10. An evening bag, preferably in nude, camel or gold*
  11. A piece of jewellery, could be both a necklace or another pair of earrings*

Pre-ordered, should be with me in September/October:
A MCQ rabbit fur west in burgundy

The things with the * are things that I need sooner or later but it'll be okay if it's not this season. If I come across the perfect piece in any of these categories I should definitely put my hands on it. If I don't, no need to worry too much.

I know the list is longer than the ca. 8 items I plan to get (sticking to my 1 per month, additional 2 in the sales strategy). But I'll just get what I can get. One thing I cannot ignore though is the warm down jacket, even though it's not the most fun item to get.

Oh, and somehow I feel like giving burgundy a chance this season... I think it would look well with some other colors that have become more and more prominent in my wardrobe, like mustard, olive and camel and even with teal.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 06-07-2012 at 03:01 AM.

06-07-2012
trendsetter

So, I've gotten a gift certificate for an online (sun)glassesshop, which means I can get a pair of Prada Baroque sunglasses, if I pay about 80 dollars my self. I'm really contemplating it, since I've been dreaming about them since last year. Just not shure wether they would fit me, or if I should go for something more classic.

What do you think? And what sunglasses would you go for?

Pic via kucuksiyahkelebekk.blogspot.dk

06-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Thank you guys for the nice words about the dress. My hubby loved it when I tried it on in the evening. I'm really happy with it. My wardrobe is moving into the right direction I think. I still don't see myself as very talented when it comes to styling but I have the feeling I'm slowly being more focused and it starts to pay off.

Lessons learnt from SS12 shopping season:
  1. Sometimes when I buy something on my list I feel like I need another piece of the same item. Example: Remember I felt like buying another swimsuit? I felt the same way about the sandals: I bought the cherry sandals in January and felt like I needed another more neutral pair. BUT: I think in such situations it's good to wait and tell yourself that you actually have covered the hole in the closet and that there still is time for a bit more variety next season. So: I do own a bikini and a pair of flat sandals now, I wear them and next season I can still add another piece.
  2. Sometimes it's good to buy something that isn't on your list. My best purchase of the season was my Trench. It wasn't on my list but I really really loved its look and just had to get it. Now it always makes me feel great when I put it on. While I think making lists and sticking to them is a good thing, maybe one item per season can be something you really didn't see coming.
  3. Going into the sales prepared is super important. It really has paid off that I pick my favorites for the sales before the sales actually start. Like this its still the item that seduces me and not the reduction tag.

And here comes my list for FW 12/13:
  1. A down jacket for cold and wet winter days. Color: Navy, camel, olive or burgundy
  2. 2 sweaters and/or cardigans, one for fall (leight weight) and a thicker one for winter. Ideally one in a neutral solid, one with a print
  3. A knit dress
  4. Formal trousers in neutral color (I still think I should have them even though I haven’t really missed them either….)
  5. Biker boots for bad weather and casual days
  6. A knee high boot with a heel
  7. Another pair of heeled ankle boots*
  8. A pair of pumps in brown, camel, olive or burgundy*
  9. A bag for every day, preferably in brown, camel, olive to go with everything*
  10. An evening bag, preferably in nude, camel or gold*
  11. A piece of jewellery, could be both a necklace or another pair of earrings*

Pre-ordered, should be with me in September/October:
A MCQ rabbit fur west in burgundy

The things with the * are things that I need sooner or later but it'll be okay if it's not this season. If I come across the perfect piece in any of these categories I should definitely put my hands on it. If I don't, no need to worry too much.

I know the list is longer than the ca. 8 items I plan to get (sticking to my 1 per month, additional 2 in the sales strategy). But I'll just get what I can get. One thing I cannot ignore though is the warm down jacket, even though it's not the most fun item to get.

Oh, and somehow I feel like giving burgundy a chance this season... I think it would look well with some other colors that have become more and more prominent in my wardrobe, like mustard, olive and camel and even with teal.
I really aggree with your list. Especially the last two pointers. Sales are good when you are prepared - and bad when you're not, and just pick things because they are cheap. I use the "would I buy this at full price?"-thinking. Also the being able to think beside your list. My new tactic is one piece pr. month as a guideline, and they could or should be from my list. Last four pieces is for something unexpected or the sales - though I do not do sales a lot these days.

I have to say again; that I love your colour scheme. Wish I could work it. I feel the same as you - I will get whatever perfect pieces from my list shows up - everything else has to wait. No compromising. Actually, it feels nice having a season where I do not really NEED anything, thanks to being very good at following my list last season. The only thing I could really use is the clutch.

Do you have any candidates for any of the things on your list, so far?

06-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post

What do you think? And what sunglasses would you go for?
Hey, I've had these on my wishlist for spring/summer - but they sold out (I thought). They are STUNNING! I'd get them, so great!
Posted via Mobile Device

06-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Hey, I've had these on my wishlist for spring/summer - but they sold out (I thought). They are STUNNING! I'd get them, so great!
Posted via Mobile Device
I do think I'll go for them. The price I have to pay myself is ridicoulously cheap, and there was none of the other sunglasses on the site (which sells Tom Ford, YSL, Ray Ban and a lot of other brands too) that really spoke to me - probably because I already made up my mind.

06-07-2012
V.I.P.

betinapple. i think you should go for the glasses as long as your eyesight doesnt require a strong prescription. i have a strong prescription so i can't wear many styles. i have to stick to very small frames, otherwise people would notice the lenses too much.

RedandNavy, maybe you could find a good down jacket at uniqlo? that's the only place i would consider getting one.

06-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
betinapple. i think you should go for the glasses as long as your eyesight doesnt require a strong prescription. i have a strong prescription so i can't wear many styles. i have to stick to very small frames, otherwise people would notice the lenses too much.

RedandNavy, maybe you could find a good down jacket at uniqlo? that's the only place i would consider getting one.
Thx for your input. I do have glasses - but I'm not that good at wearing them I mostly use them for school and driving (when I have to see things far apart). So I probably wont get special lenses for them.

06-07-2012
Power to the 99%

Moncler has gorgeous down jackets ... maybe you can check whether there's anything from last year still floating around on sale?

10-07-2012
Power to the 99%

Got my blouse ... I'm keeping it, but am planning to keep looking for the wedding. The fabric is gorgeous, just heavy, beautiful silk and a great color, and I found a much better way to style it than the picture shows (angled half bow), but it makes me look like Christina Hendricks Also, the close-fitting sleeves (the model is wearing my size, so it fits me differently) aren't that appropriate for an outdoor wedding. Given that this will be a heavily photographed occasion, I'd rather wear something else. The blouse goes with several things I already have, including a lavender linen skirt I was wearing when it arrived.

The cleaners recently destroyed my purple sweater by ripping out the tag and leaving holes ... although my replacement check was a lot less than this cost, I'm kind of considering it a replacement/upgrade

11-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Got my blouse ... I'm keeping it, but am planning to keep looking for the wedding. The fabric is gorgeous, just heavy, beautiful silk and a great color, and I found a much better way to style it than the picture shows (angled half bow), but it makes me look like Christina Hendricks Also, the close-fitting sleeves (the model is wearing my size, so it fits me differently) aren't that appropriate for an outdoor wedding. Given that this will be a heavily photographed occasion, I'd rather wear something else. The blouse goes with several things I already have, including a lavender linen skirt I was wearing when it arrived.

The cleaners recently destroyed my purple sweater by ripping out the tag and leaving holes ... although my replacement check was a lot less than this cost, I'm kind of considering it a replacement/upgrade
Christina Hendricks sounds fantastic I do understand though, that you are looking for something else. Is it going to be another blouse?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe