How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-07-2012
backstage pass

Hey Betinapple, glad to hear your sunnies are great!! I imagine they look great!!

I'm slowly getting a better feeling for the season. I have chosen a few items that I'd really love to have and it feels consistent and good. I will probably still allow myself my monthly item since the dress was, well, one of the extra two things I'm allowed to buy during sales

One thing I need a bit help with: I would like to buy a skirt this season. I mean I always love dresses and dark blue jeans to cover my legs but I thought I might try to give a skirt a chance. I do want to try something new! But what skirt would be good for me? Skirts can easily look unflattering on me. I have short and (compared with my thin upper body) thick legs and I basically don't want to emphasize them to much. I don't really like any skirt that is heavy or tight. Any suggestions????

Last edited by RedandNavy; 18-07-2012 at 01:47 AM.

18-07-2012
trendsetter

@RedAndNavy: They are litterally HUGE, but I love them. My boyfriend thought they were silly though - men

How about a skirt with a slight a-line. Maybe not a full skirt, but something with less fabric. I'm used to be heavier around the bottom than on the upper body, and I think that kind of skirt is the most flattering because it looks like it is the skirt that is heavy - not the body. I think you should go for something cutting just above the knee.

18-07-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Hey Betinapple, glad to hear your sunnies are great!! I imagine they look great!!

I'm slowly getting a better feeling for the season. I have chosen a few items that I'd really love to have and it feels consistent and good. I will probably still allow myself my monthly item since the dress was, well, one of the extra two things I'm allowed to buy during sales

One thing I need a bit help with: I would like to buy a skirt this season. I mean I always love dresses and dark blue jeans to cover my legs but I thought I might try to give a skirt a chance. I do want to try something new! But what skirt would be good for me? Skirts can easily look unflattering on me. I have short and (compared with my thin upper body) thick legs and I basically don't want to emphasize them to much. I don't really like any skirt that is heavy or tight. Any suggestions????
What about a godet or mermaid skirt? I find wool crepe to be really useful ... gabardine is good too, and wears like iron.

My new skirt will be hemmed just below the knee, or where you can see the last hint of knee I bought it before the shoes and said I would bring it back when I had them in case it made a slight difference. The alternations guy was quite funny ... he said that regardless of the shoes, my knees would be in the same place

19-07-2012
trendsetter

My prada sunnies

--

I'm really having a hard time with the 10 piece pr. season concept these days, where all the new items are arriving in stores AND the final sale is still going on. Spent 5 hours (window)shopping today, and bought nothing. I did however find a dress, I think I might buy. It is a LBD, which is on my list, but not excactly what I had in mind. It is short sleeved and in a 50's silhouette. Very nice and pretty, and a good substitute for the one I've almost worn out.

Last edited by Betinapple; 19-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.

19-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Very cute!

20-07-2012
backstage pass

Love love love the sunnies!!! I'm soooo jealous!!! Super cute on you though!

Skirt: Thanks for the recommendations! Right now I'm thinking I might stick with the dresses strategy though. But I might go and try on some skirts once when I get some time. But then again, when dresses look so much more flattering on me, why not stick with dresses?

Betinapple: I understand what you are saying. Right now I would want at least 50 things, no joke Try to keep yourself a bit in check though Usually, there are even better things coming into stores in September... (at least that's my experience). And the next sale will come, too. There will always be so many covetable items out there...... But I feel you!

20-07-2012
tfs star

Ta-ta I love the black heels. And very nice Betinapple!

Recently got a great black skirt like that (with pockets, yay!), which is one item off my list, which took ages to find.
Yesterday I also FINALLY found a great pair of red leather wedge sandals, which were comfy, cute and with the perfect heel height.
How the simplest things are so hard to find!!

For winter I will be needing a pair of black thigh boots, short booties, pumps, and a down coat. Not fun purchases, but I guess they will have to be my 4 pieces because they are main items. Oh well.

20-07-2012
trendsetter

Thx for all the nice comments about my sunnies. I want to wear them all the time.

@RedandNavy: If it aint broken - why fix it? Unless you really want something new, though.

Thx for your pep talk I felt a bit better today where I took home to items on trial. A dress and a cardigan. I'm much more calm when I have the items in my hands. I will try them on with the rest of my wardrobe and see what works. I think they are both going back, however. Making decissions is easier when I have plenty of time and do not have to worry if the item will be gone once I make a decission. Works for me. Regarding these specifific items they are nice, but I think I can find something better. The dress is really great (50s cut, longer waist, good lenght) but has some panels at the side which makes it look uneven to me, and it would bother me to much.

-----

@Melisande: I hear you! Took me months to find a simple tank top that I liked. Sometimes I think the image in my head is to strong.

20-07-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Ta-ta I love the black heels. And very nice Betinapple!

Recently got a great black skirt like that (with pockets, yay!), which is one item off my list, which took ages to find.
Yesterday I also FINALLY found a great pair of red leather wedge sandals, which were comfy, cute and with the perfect heel height.
How the simplest things are so hard to find!!

For winter I will be needing a pair of black thigh boots, short booties, pumps, and a down coat. Not fun purchases, but I guess they will have to be my 4 pieces because they are main items. Oh well.
Thanks, Melisande

I don't know, I think all those purchases could be fun ... I had fun buying my shoes My SA said it was like Sex in the City, and I was Charlotte ... which I think I'm not, but possibly the best character to be compared to? I have only seen a couple episodes I think, but it's pretty hard to escape in the culture ...

betinapple, I have given up on having images in my head ... I think it only works if you can make the clothes yourself, or have them made. There are places in Asia where you can have anything made ... vacation idea for you

21-07-2012
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: I think most purchases are fun as well. Mostly because I nowadays buy my basics with some detaling, so it's not just boring staples. I hate replacing things though. Ultimately most boring shopping!

The images in my head thing rarely works for me either. I've gotten pretty good at readjusting. I must go to Asia sometime - when I get rich

21-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, I like to have everything be interesting, at least to me. Certain things, like black pants, are a bit less exciting. I have had a black skirt before where the design was really fabulous--got lots of compliments on it. That is hard to pull off every time ...

My understanding is that once you get there and find a good tailor, everything is very inexpensive. So the only expensive part should be the plane ticket ...

21-07-2012
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: I totally aggree. And that is the way it should be, for me at least. All of my "boring" stuff is what I use the most.

Well then I know where my next vacation should take place

21-07-2012
tfs star

That's true ta-ta and Betinapple, I guess purchases could be fun even if they are basics.

I just want to add a note of caution about tailors. They require building a relationship. It's not rare to end up with "What, you did everything perfectly and then you go and place the dart five millimeters off and use that zipper? Now I can't wear it any more." A few disappointments among my friends and I on trips to Hong Kong

I heard though, from a London friend that you can order from Asia via the internet too, and that you can order custom-made evening gowns for thirty dollars. If you can send them a perfect pattern of your choice already, may be worth the risk.

OT, bt Luckily my mom is a costumier for a ballet company and has amazing taste and sophisticated instinct for fit, pattern and cut. We always dreamed of starting a line together...probably never will happen...

21-07-2012
Power to the 99%

R&N, you had asked about the comfort of the Miu Mius. Just wanted to note that I wore them for the first time tonight and got a blister on each foot. I think that's relatively normal, though ... they are cut low, and so are probably hitting my feet differently than any of my other shoes.

Found another great skirt today ... apparently I'm stocking up Just waiting to find out whether I can have the one that's here, or have to order one. It feels like wearing air This will be for fall ...

21-07-2012
Power to the 99%

PS The skirt I found today is black, btw, and it was fun to shop for ... it has an external zipper, and I have quite a round rear view, so as the knit skirt follows my body, there's a slight gap between me and the tail of the zipper.

The SA saw me in the skirt and said, Well I think it's a no-brainer, you have to have that. I pointed out the deal with the zipper, and he said in a reverential tone, Alber designed it that way.

I said, Far be it from me to criticize Alber, but when he designed this skirt, he didn't know about my butt!! We had a good laugh about that. I decided it highlights a good feature

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe