How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-07-2012
trendsetter

@Melisande: I've heard that too! Also I've heard that the quality of the fabrics isn't that good - but maybe that's a problem that can be solved. I do however know a seamstress near my hometown that does great work for very good prices. She made a promdress for one of my girlfriends for a redicoulously low price. I'm thinking that I'll might have her make me something, some time, if I come up with something the shops can't provide me.

@Ta-ta: sounds like a great skirt! Guess it's Lanvin? You've got a picture?

22-07-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Melisande: I've heard that too! Also I've heard that the quality of the fabrics isn't that good - but maybe that's a problem that can be solved. I do however know a seamstress near my hometown that does great work for very good prices. She made a promdress for one of my girlfriends for a redicoulously low price. I'm thinking that I'll might have her make me something, some time, if I come up with something the shops can't provide me.

@Ta-ta: sounds like a great skirt! Guess it's Lanvin? You've got a picture?
Ooh yes, those kinds of seamstresses are much better, when you already know and like their work and can see them regularly for fittings. If you don't fully know her instincts as a pattern maker, the best is if you already have an item that fits perfectly and you simply take her the fabric you want it in (making sure the fabric goes with the pattern of course), or take her the pattern itself.

Yes, ta-ta, second the request to see the Lanvin skirt.

My proverbial wealthy Yohji-crazy shopaholic aunt is coming to Paris this week, and has offered to take me clothes shopping...she says to choose anything I want in advance because she knows I'm picky...I have only a few hours to go window-shopping, but should probably choose a few items in various price ranges...was ecstatic but all stressed now...
I've been needing a fantastic non-flashy but sexy and unique dress and gorgeous heels for all the events I go to... I wouldn't feel right asking as a gift something practical, nor for something over 1000 euros in total...any ideas? I'm thinking Dries, Vivienne, Ferretti, MiuMiu, Chloe...

Last edited by Melisande; 22-07-2012 at 08:00 AM.

22-07-2012
Power to the 99%

picasaweb.google
^ Will post pix as soon as I have it in my hot little hands Just called to ensure that there's another skirt on hold for me in case the other customer takes the one that's here.

Saw a dress I thought was fantastic ... let me find a picture ... not sure of the exchange rate. This is Lanvin and the picture isn't particularly good. In person, there's a subtle blue + green iridescence. The fabric is like a matelasse brocade, but very light. In person the snake effect is just a question mark--it's more like quilting than scales. I didn't try it on because they didn't have my size, but it looks very well cut. You can't see all the subtleties on the mannequin.

I also saw a Dries bronze skirt of heavy hammered silk that looks like leather and just gleams. That would be gorgeous.

PS I am available for adoption by kindly aunts
Attached Images
File Type: png Lanvin dress .png (359.0 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 22-07-2012 at 05:11 PM.

23-07-2012
Power to the 99%

picasaweb.google
The skirt is mine, so here are pix ...
Attached Images
File Type: png Lanvin skirt front.png (110.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Lanvin skirt back.png (167.7 KB, 3 views)

23-07-2012
Power to the 99%

As far as fabric quality, I imagine the best solution would be to provide your own? I have had a hard time finding what I wanted (for decorating purposes) here locally. I don't know if I just haven't found the right stores, or if the selection/quality really is severely lacking at shops open to the public.

Once I wanted hot pink linen to have custom lampshades made ... I ended up with raw silk because I couldn't find linen (in almost any color) anywhere I looked. When I was looking for purple toile, I looked online, and never did find what I wanted. I looked at new and vintage/antique fabrics both ...

Possibly a really good tailor would also be a source of information about good fabric vendors.

This skirt is fall piece #2 ... I bought 4 for spring, and probably won't buy any more. I need to do a little stockup on PJs/lingerie/loungewear here at some point ... and I would still like another pair of pants. I've been wearing them out faster than I've been buying them. The things I wear at home are looking a bit ragged, or were I've been tossing shirts that have seen better days on the rag pile. At some point I will likely need to replenish, but I also have some in better shape that I just haven't been wearing. All my favorite cotton tees that are perfectly worn in also have teeny little holes ... I've been realizing for awhile that action was called for, but just didn't want to do it

23-07-2012
backstage pass

Ta-ta you are on quite a roll! The texture and material of that dress sounds amazing
but the skirt - love it! I need to go try on some Lanvin when I get
closer to my goal weight - since I have quite a rear view myself! So sadly I've
been having trouble posting but I got one of my main pieces for fall today!
A Marcus Lupfer sweater - grey with sequined mouth with vampire teeth! Ha, I
Love it! Sort of a Rocky Horreur vibe. It definitely is a fun fashion piece.

My other fall piece is a red valentino shell/ top with black lace detailing.
For now I'm not counting jewelry or thrift/consignment pieces but I haven't
really bought much there.

I do need to take a suit to the tailor's - I'm going to try my husband's -
I'm hoping it works out. I need pants and the jacket taken in since I've lost
weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

23-07-2012
backstage pass

Melisande, lucky you!
Posted via Mobile Device

23-07-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomelovesjohn View Post
Ta-ta you are on quite a roll! The texture and material of that dress sounds amazing
but the skirt - love it! I need to go try on some Lanvin when I get
closer to my goal weight - since I have quite a rear view myself! So sadly I've
been having trouble posting but I got one of my main pieces for fall today!
A Marcus Lupfer sweater - grey with sequined mouth with vampire teeth! Ha, I
Love it! Sort of a Rocky Horreur vibe. It definitely is a fun fashion piece.

My other fall piece is a red valentino shell/ top with black lace detailing.
For now I'm not counting jewelry or thrift/consignment pieces but I haven't
really bought much there.

I do need to take a suit to the tailor's - I'm going to try my husband's -
I'm hoping it works out. I need pants and the jacket taken in since I've lost
weight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice to hear about your pieces Btw, you can't paste pix into a post anymore--you have to save & attach. If you don't have any space left, you can PM the pix to me & I'll post for you.

I have been on a roll ... I passed on a Lanvin black skirt a few years back and kind of regretted it later, and this one is more versatile. So I'm wearing a blouse I already own to the wedding, and getting this skirt instead. The shoes I absolutely had to have, since I already tossed out the ones I wore last winter Which I know you know I would do only with good reason

24-07-2012
backstage pass

Here is my sweater, picture from my-wardrobe.com

I was tempted to hold out for a sale but since there are only two sweaters I really wanted I thought I'd go ahead and purchase them rather then waiting to see what is left over. And at least this Lupfer sweater has a muted color scheme, so maybe a little less over the top! Ha!

I've started a board on Pinterest for my possible purchases and I find it a nice way to visually organize everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lupfer.jpg (28.9 KB, 2 views)

24-07-2012
V.I.P.

Would you have some sort of list to start a french wardrobe from sratch?
I just don't really know where t start

24-07-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_sun View Post
Would you have some sort of list to start a french wardrobe from sratch?
I just don't really know where t start
I'd suggest pulling your favorite pieces and creating a capsule wardrobe for fall. Start wearing it, see what's missing. If you have it already, add it. If you don't have it, put it on your list.

25-07-2012
backstage pass

Wow, ta-ta! I remember you once said that your shopping seems to happen in clumps, now seems to be one of those moments! I wondered how you could live with one blouse per season Gorgeous dress and great skirt, too, CONGRATS!

And that is a great Lupfer sweater, salomelovesjohn! I really like Lupfer sweaters but so far I've never seen one that seemed to be perfect for me. I'd love to see it in action...

Right now I'm not really feeling like buying something. There was a great sweater that I wanted but it's sold out. Well. There are other pieces that I really like on my list but somehow I cannot decide what to get next. I'm still very pleased with my sale purchases and somehow I seem to be satisfied for the moment. Lord knows how long that moment is going to last though...

25-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Thanks, R&N Now is a good time to shop, as things are on sale, and the new pre-fall stuff is arriving ... I did not buy that dress, though That was just a recommendation for Melisande's shopping spree.

I tried on a couple knit pieces that I liked a lot, but didn't want to pay full price for ... maybe there'll be something left at sale time. The nice thing is that once you've tried it on, you can get it from anywhere in the world.

Sometimes I do buy just one piece for a whole season ... right now my purchases are for two seasons, spring and fall.

Sometimes when nothing really jumps out, I think it's a sign that nothing is really right yet. I know that something will grab you

salomelovesjohn, do we get to see the Valentino Red top too? Have you figured out who carries Lanvin in your area?

25-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post

Sometimes when nothing really jumps out, I think it's a sign that nothing is really right yet. I know that something will grab you
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. It's time to just wait and watch. There are plenty of lovely things out there to be sure but as far as I don't have that "I'll always regret if I don't get this now"-feeling, then why buy anything?! I'm sure something will make me feel that way again :-)

Btw, wedding of a friend this saturday. I'm planning to wear my Carven dress that I bought last fall. It's not very formal but the wedding isn't either. I've worn it quite a few times to the office and always felt good in it and it seems like the temperature will be right for it, too. Probably with my black Miu Mius...

25-07-2012
backstage pass

Thanks! It is a fun sweater. I may get one of his wilder ones sometime.

Here is the Valentino Red top. It is pretty loose fitting, but I like the lace detailing. Under a cardigan it is demure but by itself a little saucy since you can see one bra strap, but only one! I've already worn it a few times.

Oh and here is a shrug I'm considering. I love the neck on this and I like shrugs because they add bulk to my top half where I could use some to balance out the bottom half. I love how the neck goes up a little in the back but I'll have to consider some more how much use I'd get out of it. The weekends are generally jeans, ballet flats + an All Saints tee for me. So if it could work with a simple top + jeans and ballet flats?

pictures from

http://store.valentino.com
www.neimanmarcus.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red valentino.jpg (9.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg neimans shrug valentino.jpg (21.4 KB, 1 views)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe