How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

25-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I have a similar top with sheer shoulders and no embellishment, trapeze shape. Most of it is a double layer of the sheer wool knit, which is flattering. (I'm sure it is pictured somewhere earlier in this thread ...) I wear it with a leopard print bra, and once this older woman gave me the harshest looks while I was wearing it (Bite me ...)

I like the shrug and I think it could likely work as you mention. You could always wear the rest of the outfit and go try it on ... do you have a Valentino boutique near you? (Or maybe I'm confused by the picture credits ...) I think one would need a swan neck like the model (and not like me ...).

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 25-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.

27-07-2012
backstage pass

^^
I might try mine with a leopard print bra - fun idea!

Sorry for the confusion, the shrug is at Neiman Marcus. I'm not sure I have the neck for it though - hmmm. There are a couple of other pieces I'm considering purchasing but I want to get some things altered and clean out my closet a bit first.

RedandNavy, I feel pretty content myself. There are things I like but I want to think over them a bit more for the most part. Besides I still have my pre-order sweater coming sometime in the next month or two. Sounds like you've gotten some great use out of that dress!!

27-07-2012
tfs star

Mademoiselle Ta-ta

Thanks for your suggestions, that dress is gorgeous!!!
And your skirt is TDF.

I went around but to my chagrin I could not find anything I liked...even at Dries or Ann D. I think nothing I found was weird, long and drapey and sexy and alluring enough. Lanvin was simply gorgeous but simply over my budget. I was hoping for some Bernhardt Wilhelm or Westwood dresses which I had found perfect in the past, but this time, still early on in the season there were hardly any good selections. I did find a pair of gorgeous Sonia Rykiel heels, may go for that...or we may go to Yohji after all. We'll see...

Salome: by the way love the leopard print bra idea! I may steal that idea too

Last edited by Melisande; 27-07-2012 at 02:59 PM.

27-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I wish I could find that lady again and tell her I am recruiting others to the sheer shoulder + leopard print bra

Well, a great pair of shoes is still a good find ... and don't despair, there should be new things coming in all the time. Both of my skirts are pre-fall or fall ... not sure exactly what's shipping now but stores are getting big shipments every week here.

One Lanvin idea that I'm sure is within budget, but don't know if you need ... they make wallets, but what I use for my wallet is an Amalia zipper close cosmetic bag with a grosgrain bow on the zipper. It serves the same purpose as a wristlet, so I can leave my bigger bag and just take the little one with me. They are really beautiful, gorgeous quilted lambskin and satin, which is a lot more durable than I thought it would be (no wear on mine so far).

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 27-07-2012 at 07:24 PM.

29-07-2012
backstage pass

SLJ your Valentino top reminds me of these oversized sheer black tees from American Apparel. I live in them but I always wear a tank top so only my shoulders arm and neck are exposed. I am sure your blouse is of superior quality though. My AA shirts pill and get holes in them. I am sure that's why they are on sale. It's so awesome though I will continue buying them.

29-07-2012
tfs star

Update:
I am totally chuffed to come home with a whole outfit, said Rykiel heels (which were PERFECT...I wore them for an evening out and despite their 12 cm heels felt like bedroom slippers) and actually, an eccentrically sexy Bernhard Willhelm dress. It was not what I had thought I needed, but trying it on it was in fact love at first wear and being extremely versatile, worthy of a change in wardrobe plans. Also Comme des Garcons Kyoto perfume which smells like the incense from my favorite temples in Japan, and a few pairs of perfect fishnets from Falke. Yayyay

ta-ta Ugh that Lanvin wallet sounds disgustingly gorgeous! Actually I fell totally in love with the quilted Lanvin chain tote (with grosgrain ribbon too), such soft leather and delicious...but I didn't really need it.

Last edited by Melisande; 29-07-2012 at 07:18 AM.

29-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Wow, I've never had 12 cm heels feel like bedroom slippers ... do we get to see pix?? Congratulations on a successful shopping trip!!

31-07-2012
backstage pass

Melisande: Congratulations, these sound like great buys! And I want pictures, too!! Wow, I am quite surprised that 120 mm heels can feel like bedroom slippers. I never use anything higher than 90mm. I am very short and I feel that very high heels look out of proportion with my height.

Actually I have fought a perfect item. I knew my "I don't find anything that truly deserves to be mine"-phase couldn't last long... Suddenly I saw a gorgeous pair of Roger Vivier kitten heels... I've been admiring Roger Vivier shoes for quite some time, but they always sell out so quickly and the ones that were left never really fitted my style. I ordered them online so I haven't tried them on yet. We'll see. I feel excited to get them. Since they were rather expensive, I will consider them my July & August item combined... No more shopping for me till September, I promise That is, if they fit my feet...

31-07-2012
trendsetter

I also want to see Melisandes great purchases!

I fell in love with a shirt and bought it, even though it was white and I do not need white shirt. However, it is really comfy, cute and very me. Still considering wether it is a keeper or not.

Also I think I've found the perfect cape, and is very close to ordering it. I'm not sure if I have the nerves to wait 'till after my vacation.

Also found a cute pair of lace shorts, something I thought I would never like on me, but they made my legs look gorgeous and would go with almost everything. They're not made in a quality that will last from season to season, but then again I'm not sure how long I would continue wearing lace shorts. I just think they would add something NEW to my style insted of the same ol' same ol' dresses, skirts and shirt-blouses. I do however think I'll contemplate this matter while being on vacation and make a decission when I'm back home.

31-07-2012
Power to the 99%

^ "Really comfy, cute, and very me" sounds like a keeper to me While you may not need a white shirt now, you will eventually ... I think it's fine to buy extras of things you know you'll use eventually when you find them--I've done that before with black tops and then not bought any for quite awhile.

I just noticed that one of my favorite blouses came back from the cleaners with a hole under the arm through both layers of voile I know for a fact it wasn't there when I took it in. I was just getting ready to plan an outfit around it I am seriously thinking I might need to go shopping ... I've bought a lot of elegant things lately ... but something more casual and a bit sexier for really hot weather?? I don't think I have it. I am also still short a pair of casual pants, as I wore out two, and only found one new pair. Sigh ...

01-08-2012
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: You've got a point I'm just not sure that I'm 100% satisfied with the quality, so I'll think a little more about.

You're also right about the shirt - it is not a classic white shirt, it is more like a shirt blouse, peter pan collared and with a black bow. It is however very me, very comfy and a bit more practical than all of my silk blouses, that I have to be a little more careful with. I do however think the returning-thoughs started because there is a gazillion things out there I want ATM. I really want the cape, it is one of the things I "need" whereas another white blouse, even though this one is perfect, is just nice to have.

Since I've already bought two things in the first month of my AW season, I have to try to hold back a little, I think. If I buy both the cape and the shorts, I've already bought 4 out of ten things, and even though I shop more at the start of the season, I think that is a bit too muc, since I've already decided to buy the Y-mail.

Decissions decissions

Bummer about the shirt - that is why I'm afraid to take things to the cleaners. It can't be repaired?

@RedAndNavy: I'm really looking forward to seeing these heels! Hope they'll arrive before I go on vacation friday

01-08-2012
backstage pass

Betinapple: One thing I remember of those Nina Garcia books is that whenever you buy something, you should ask yourself: "What will I have to forgo later if I buy this now?" Whatever your answer is, I think it helps to set priorities. It helps me at least to think about that before buying something.

Me: I actually wore my Carven dress to the wedding last Saturday and got lots of nice comments I felt so good in it! Isn't that great when you wear those things you selected carefully and you feel that it really works? By the way: HUGE thank you to all of you guys, I think my style improved greatly since I started posting here in spring 11. It really helps to talk about your shopping habits and somehow I think more carefully when I shop now because I have to "justify" it before an audience

Tata: Oh no, what a shame about the shirt!! Will they pay you??

01-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post

Also I think I've found the perfect cape, and is very close to ordering it. I'm not sure if I have the nerves to wait 'till after my vacation.
i had a very nice cape from L.A.M.B in 2005. the only problem was i felt very bulky in it. and it was also difficult to hold my handbag while wearing it. have you thought about how you are going to hold your handbags while wearing it? and also what abut your sleeves poking out? is the one you want 3/4 sleeves?

01-08-2012
trendsetter

@RedAndNavy: thank you for your advice. The problem, however, is that I do not know what I'll miss if I buy the things I'm eyeing ATM. I do however think that lots of time for contemplating will solve my problem - as it always does

Great succes with you Carven dress! That feeling is the best. What shoes did you wear with it? I aggree with you on the 5pfw thread - I've learned a lot and gotten great advice from you guys. Also, it is nice to talk to someone who understands why I like quality clothes, since I have a fear of other people thinking I'm a snob - I'm not

@Lucy: thanks for you input. To be honest, I had not thought about that, since I already have a parkacoat for practical wear. The cape I'm looking at have no sleeves, so I'm planning on wearing my leather jacket underneath - also to get some more warmth. I do not think that holding my bag would be a problem, but it'll show when I recieve it - if I order it.

Maybe it is not such a good solution after all. I wanted a nicer winter-coat solution since the parka is great, warm, but not very me, and I love capes, they definetly fit my style AND go with my ACNE pistols (a must).

01-08-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Ta-ta: You've got a point I'm just not sure that I'm 100% satisfied with the quality, so I'll think a little more about.

You're also right about the shirt - it is not a classic white shirt, it is more like a shirt blouse, peter pan collared and with a black bow. It is however very me, very comfy and a bit more practical than all of my silk blouses, that I have to be a little more careful with. I do however think the returning-thoughs started because there is a gazillion things out there I want ATM. I really want the cape, it is one of the things I "need" whereas another white blouse, even though this one is perfect, is just nice to have.

Since I've already bought two things in the first month of my AW season, I have to try to hold back a little, I think. If I buy both the cape and the shorts, I've already bought 4 out of ten things, and even though I shop more at the start of the season, I think that is a bit too muc, since I've already decided to buy the Y-mail.

Decissions decissions

Bummer about the shirt - that is why I'm afraid to take things to the cleaners. It can't be repaired?

@RedAndNavy: I'm really looking forward to seeing these heels! Hope they'll arrive before I go on vacation friday
I checked back, and I bought the blouse Spring 2006. It is Marc Jacobs, a double layer of pearl grey silk/cotton voile. It has always been fragile, but considering its age, I can't really say this shouldn't have happened. The woman at the cleaners was claiming the fabric under the arms is weakened--visually it looks like the fabric elsewhere. I think it was mishandled ... they are going to repair it, but predict it won't last (I tend to agree). So ... just about time to kiss it goodbye, I guess, and think about a replacement. It was really beautiful.

I may shift the suede MiuMius (which are fall shoes after all) to my fall season purchases. Will see how it goes ... I'm going to try to take off early on Friday and go shopping. I'd like a blouse/shirt and pants to replace the ones I've worn out.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe