How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-08-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@RedAndNavy: thank you for your advice. The problem, however, is that I do not know what I'll miss if I buy the things I'm eyeing ATM. I do however think that lots of time for contemplating will solve my problem - as it always does
Well then, just listen to your feeling :-) I use this question especially when I really want something or need something (like a pair of boots) that cost a certain amount of money. Even if I buy a cheap tee that could be money that I could serve for my goal. But in your case I'd just look at your list again, think whether you'd rather want to buy something of those things. But if you feel that an item is totally cute and very much you, then why not go for it? The things that are totally yourself hardly ever are wrong - except if you already own a lot of items like it and really need something else.

Any pics of the blouse and the cape? I'm sure they are super cute!

02-08-2012
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: Oh, it served you well then. Good idea about finding a replacement. Can't wait to see what you find.

RedandNavy:
I use that as well and it is a really good advice, when you are doubting.. However, this season there is nothing I really WANT or NEED, other than the cape and a black clutch. Both items I know I can afford and I will probably have good money left for buying whatever I find. So I'll just contemplate - for a looong time. Seems to work for me

02-08-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Ta-ta: Oh, it served you well then. Good idea about finding a replacement. Can't wait to see what you find.

RedandNavy:
I use that as well and it is a really good advice, when you are doubting.. However, this season there is nothing I really WANT or NEED, other than the cape and a black clutch. Both items I know I can afford and I will probably have good money left for buying whatever I find. So I'll just contemplate - for a looong time. Seems to work for me
Yeah, thinking about things is always good. I guess if your basics are covered you are free to indulge in those things that just feel totally right. What helps also is to ask yourself whether you'd really regret not having bought it later or if you can find something else someday that easily can make you feel just as good.

Shoes: You asked me what shoes I wore with the Carven dress. I wore a brown pair of heels with a slight platform and a thicker heel. I was so glad I chose those because the wedding was at an old bath. The floor was made from wooden pieces and they had gaps of several millimeters between them. The ladies with thin heels had some trouble. I was relieved that I had chosen some with thicker heels.

Skirts: Do you remember that I had asked you about the skirts? Well, I realised I have three skirts that have been hiding in my closet and that are actually fine. I will wear them more often again and see how I like them before I buy another skirt.

Down jacket: Actually I have seen quite a few by now that I like. Anyone any experiences with Duvetica?

02-08-2012
backstage pass

Awww, my pair of shoes just arrived!

It's a kitten heel. Now I know kitten heels have a somehow bad reputation but I love them and think they suit my frame better than a pair of very high heels over 100 mm. They are gorgeous and most important, they are roomy enough in the toe area. (I need shoes to accomodate my big toes, sigh). The colors are great because they suit my recent purchases and my items on my wishlist perfectly. Love them! Definitely a keeper.

Btw, I'm a bit worried. The DHL man knows me by name now and waves to me when he sees me in town. Not a good sign for my online shopping habbits I guess...

Pic: mytheresa.com

02-08-2012
trendsetter

@RedAndNavy: like I said before, there is NOTHING I really need. A good winter coat (cape) and a clutch would be nice to have. Everything else can be whatever I find, since I have no gaps.

Good thinking about the shoes for the wedding. Sometimes stilettos simply just does not go. Also good idea about the skirts. Please tell me what conclusion you will come to.

The shoes are gorgeous. I think kitten heels can be very suitable. I have a few pairs myself, and they go with lots of stuff. Really like the colour on yours.

I think I'll order the cape now, so it'll be on my adress for at try out, when I get home. Do not have the nerves to wait for a week.

02-08-2012
Power to the 99%

R&N, love the gorgeous shoes!! I don't know of anyone who carries them where I live.

I'm not sure if the colors are reading properly on my monitor. They look burgundy (but maybe brown?) with a coral or carnelian buckle--is that right? When you mentioned them, I Googled, and that same buckle was on my favorite ones--I think I was eyeing the black with that buckle. A unique twist on a classic, and something I imagine no one else will have! So exciting.

betinapple, when I was trying stuff on recently, I tried on what was called a bolero sweater, but to me was a cape. It would have worked with the bags I carry since they are all handbags/totes (no shoulder straps or clutches). It was one of the knit pieces that I was thinking I might look for at sale time ...

03-08-2012
backstage pass

Thanks a lot for the nice comments, Tata and Betinapple!!

The shoes are really great. I'm so much in love... The colors are as you see them, Ta-ta. The burgundy is a rather dark burgundy. The coral buckle is in a color that is very similar to the coral of my latest two pieces, the McQueen dress and the cardigan with the lace back. So it'll go well with those pieces. I also think that the shoes will look great with other colors I love, like mustard, teal, terra, pistache.

Betinapple: go for the cape, if you feel that's the thing you want must now. It's quite a treat when you don't actually need anything and can go for what you feel like. Is it a nice quality? Will you use it as a sweater or as a jacket?

Tata: I don't see many wearing Roger Vivier shoes here either, but I think the style is very classic. Maybe not my last pair. Miu Miu shoes and these must be my favorites in terms of look and comfort.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 03-08-2012 at 01:16 AM.

03-08-2012
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: thx for your input. I primarily use totes, but over the shoulder. However, they are hardly ever that heavy, so I can easily carry them over my arm. Do you have a picture of the one you are talking about? It sounds very nice.

@RedandNavy: Just ordered it, even though the webshop was killing me. Wouldn't accept my adress and wrote it wrong when it actually did. Sigh. Hope it ends up the right place. I will use it as a jacket (with me leather jacket underneath). Not sure how warm it is, but I have my parka from last winther for the cold days, and I'm not working outside anymore, so I think I'll do. The quality seems nice, it's partly done in wool. Hope it is nice, I've wanted a cape for ages! Also solves my "has to be girly but go with my pistols"-problem.

It is very nice to be able to buy what I WANT because there is nothing I NEED. I appriciate that a lot

03-08-2012
backstage pass

I'm behind!
Tata, sorry about the blouse. I track my purchases as well and it sounds like you got
some great use from it. Your Lanvin wallet sounds lovely.

R&N, I love the quote on forgoing something later. Lately I've been thinking well X item
of clothing is y% of something I really want - but maybe is pricier. It has helped keep my
impulse purchases down.

Those RV kitten heels look like they would be at home in Belle du Jour - a film that I love
the fashion in. So classic with that vintage vibe. Love them!

I'm excited to see some of these other purchases.
Posted via Mobile Device

03-08-2012
backstage pass

B, I love capes and hope you post a picture.

I hope to find something velvet myself this season.
Posted via Mobile Device

03-08-2012
Power to the 99%

picasaweb.google
betinapple, here's the cape I tried on ... do we get to see a picture of yours?

Thanks, salome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cape.JPG (25.9 KB, 4 views)

03-08-2012
Power to the 99%

ssense
Here's what I got today ... a classic black pocket T, Alexander Wang. Fits great, very comfortable ...

Not a terribly successful shopping trip, because the SA insisted on showing me formal things when I said I was shopping for casual, and just as I started checking out the more casual department, insisted I come be fitted. I guess he hasn't figured out yet that I am a very focused shopper

Found another blouse that's a good candidate for the sales, or maybe I'll figure out something good to layer it with between now and then ... it's very sheer, so can't wear it on its own. Right now at 110 degrees I am not feeling anything that must be layered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssense Alexander Wang.jpg (53.5 KB, 4 views)

03-08-2012
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

It's time for me to start thinking about what I'm wanting/needing for my wardrobe for Spring/Summer this year. I don't think I'll be buying a lot (famous last words) but I will need a couple of new things for some of the travel I have planned in November. The biggest item I'll be buying is a dress for my friend's wedding at the end of November... Other than that I'll be wearing the same ol' personal uniform that I tend to stick to every year (cotton sundresses, denim jacket, lightweight cardigans, skinny jeans & lightweight tops - pencil skirts & sheer blouses for work). I really need to dig through the S/S stuff I have in storage to see what I need to replace this year, I'll probably do that closer to the end of the month.

04-08-2012
rising star

my f/w list:

- black boots (flat)
- black boots (heels)
- big leather bag
- trench coat
- warm jacket
- cute dress
- cardigan
- basic t-shirts
- black tights

05-08-2012
Power to the 99%

Came across a couple quotes today that reminded me of this thread ...

"There is no great sin than enslavement to desire, no greater curse than discontent, no greater misfortune than selfish craving. Therefore, in being content, one will always have enough." --Lao Tzu

"There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self." --Hindu proverb

The second one reminded me of working towards continuous improvement in your own wardrobe ... some of you have said recently that you feel you're getting good results in that regard I think I am in some ways, and in other ways, it can be virtually impossible to replace a really great piece when one bites the dust. Without having things replicated, not sure what I can really do about that. You can only choose the best of what's actually available ...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe