How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-08-2012
backstage pass

I'm intrigued by the Alexander Wang tee since his basic seem very popular. Is it a thicker or thiner fabric? J.Crew's tee are often so thin they need to be layered, well if you don't want a bra showing so very very much.

I the Hindu quote.

So here is a neat quote from theviviennefiles.blogspot.com, which is an interesting blog on buying less but better quality. I'm rather surprised Americans were ever at a 29 piece average. Then again 59 is surprising considering that I don't see men shopping so much. My husband is a natural "French" shopper. He only buys a few items a season, just what he needs and what suits him at a piece point and by a designer that he likes for the most part. Honestly, I could learn alot from his habits....

[FONT='Trebuchet MS', sans-serif]In the mid-1990s, the average American bought 29 items of clothing a year. Today, we buy 59 items. We also throw away an average of 83 pounds of textiles per person, mostly discarded apparel, each year. - [/FONT]From Mother Jones.
Also, from that blog was this:

"A few years ago, a distant relative died, leaving nobody near to her to clean out her home. My mother and I gamely volunteered to take on the project, and in retrospect I think we were both suffering from temporary insanity. Bless this woman for being a nice person and a good friend, but she did not own ONE thing worth passing on to posterity. Not one nice book, not a single beautiful piece of furniture, no lovely jewelry or vintage clothing - absolutely nothing!

What she did leave behind was a vast, almost impenetrable mess of cheap clothing, cheap dishes, cheap furniture, and mounds of unsorted paperwork. It wasn't a question of not having enough money - I know for a fact that she could have afforded fewer, nicer things. But it was definitely a question of never feeling worthy of the one big, beautiful, enduringly precious item that could have brought joy to her every day.

So now, when I'm pondering a potential purchase, I remember her and the sad lack of heirlooms (or even just mementos) that she left behind. And I wonder, when I look at that sweater or dish or CD, if anybody will want this thing when I'm gone."

Wow, just wow. And you know what I had a similar experience with a relative myself!

07-08-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

I'm moving to Canada for half a year. Basically I'll be skiing the entire time. So on my FW musthaves mostly consist of skiing gear. Though I'll probably need some everyday clothes as well, probably something comfortable and casual since I doubt I'll feel like dressing up. Also the dress code is a bit different there.
So that means that I seriously have to consider the few things I need for FW as it's not what I would normally need.

So my FW list will probably consist of (not counting real skiing gear):
*A grey sweaterdress. Comfy and easy.
*A pair of sneakers. Probably black as the chance of me wearing them when I get home is larger.
*An acid yellow wool scarf from COS, that I already have in grey.
*Black wool cardigan.
*Black jeans (because my old ones broke a few weeks ago).
*Black Yvonne Koné leather bumbag. This will probably be my only real splurge, but it would work great in Canada as well as when I get home. I really could use a new black bag.

Last edited by Tinetush; 07-08-2012 at 05:51 PM.

07-08-2012
Power to the 99%

salome, thanks--totally interesting I once helped clean out a distant relative's kitchen, and it was a really memorable experience too. She had been about 19 when the market crashed at the onset of the Depression. The family had a business, her father had a breakdown, and everything was on her shoulders--she negotiated with their creditors, etc. She had a double cabinet full of broken things, pieces of things, etc. (An even larger area than that devoted to empty margarine tubs.)

But since I collect vintage kitchenware, I was thrilled to find in her cabinet the clear glass top to my Fire-King jadite butter bottom.

As far as the Alexander Wang, yes, the fabric is thin. I wanted something really lightweight since it is so damn hot, and something I could wear only on the weekends was OK too. I did wear it to work, and then thought perhaps I wouldn't again How transparent it is seems to depend on the light in a way I can't quite explain It's not very lowcut, but depending on the light, it can be possible to see the cleavage under the shirt. It's rayon btw.

11-08-2012
Power to the 99%

nordstrom
Succeeded in getting some cropped pants today ... also a robe and a pair of ankle-length pants (having them altered). I've now replaced all the pants I've worn out this year, and am up one pair. These two pieces are for fall ... (I don't count robes, lingerie, loungewear ...) Also got some Felina lingerie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nordstrom black pants.jpg (6.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Natori robe.jpg (6.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Nordstrom crop pants.jpg (5.5 KB, 202 views)

12-08-2012
Power to the 99%

PS Now that I'm not as tired after my very busy day yesterday ...

That makes 5 pieces for spring, and 4 pieces so far for fall. Let it not be said that I don't know how to catch up, after initially buying one piece all year I have everything I need right now, I think ... saving my remaining piece for when things go on sale, or if something comes up as the season begins. Both pairs of pants are the same label, so it's possible I may have found another go-to ... I'm pleased with how flattering they are, and that I was able to buy a smaller size than I have in awhile ... not that that's a criterion, it's just a bonus Hard work paying off.

12-08-2012
backstage pass

SalomelovesJohn: That is a good story to remember! You know, sometimes when I buy something rather expensive now I think that maybe, one day my daughter will borrow it or I'll give it to her. Not sure if she'll be interested though But she's very interested in my things now as a two years old I remember I was very interested in my mum's stuff even if she didn't have tons of great pieces.

Tinetush: How come you'll be skiing for that much time?? Are you going there professionally or taking time of to enjoy your hobby? Just curious.

Ta-ta: Great robe! Things like robes show how much one cares about what you wear and how you feel in your clothes. It's nice if you have some lovely things for at home, too, and don't only wear old sweatpants as soon as you enter the door.

You really are quite the shopper right now I admire how you can buy so little for such a long time and then concentrate on buying what you really need. I haven't come to that point yet... I feel like I do have to control my shopping. There are so many things that I feel that I need and want, and my one piece per month strategy helps me to stay focused. Like this I must decide for the top priority at the time. Otherwise I don't think I could really control my desires because I'd always feel like a piece is such a must-have and I cannot let it go away.

12-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Agreed ... my old robe was cute when I bought it ... I couldn't figure out why it wasn't looking so good when I 'just' bought it ... and then I was looking through my records for something else, and found where I bought it in 2008 I think that explains it. My winter robe is looking a little ratty too ... it's in the dryer right now after being laundered. This one may not be warm enough for the dead of winter as my bathroom isn't heated ... will see what the magic of laundry does for the fleece one :p May need to replace it as well.

As far as shopping approach ... my motto is, Whatever works. Your method seems to be working well for you, and if it ain't broke ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 12-08-2012 at 04:33 PM.

13-08-2012
backstage pass

Tinetush, sounds like a fun time to plan a wardrobe for!

RedandNavy, I have a 15 month old daughter and certainly feel that way sometimes as well.

ta-ta, nice purchases and glad to hear the hard work is paying off - I'm there myself.

I go some pants back from the tailor's and it is like having new pants! I had the waist taken in quite a bit. Right now I'm feeling very content with what I have and the one piece on order - not due to arrive for a month!

I need some advice. There is a Chanel seasonal bag that I really love - the leather and styling make it an edgier version of a classic flap - a style of bag that I don't really have right now. What is holding me back is 1) the price and 2) the hardware is gold and I tend to wear silver. As for the price I've actually been selling things I don't use much and so that will pay for most of the bag. The hardware I have conflicted feelings on. Part of me says wait for the perfect silver hardware bag - that way my other accessories like my 2 stainless watches and leather and silver toned Hermes cuff will go with the bag and the jewelry I wear daily is set in silver toned metal.

I guess I think if I really want a streamlined wardrobe this isn't the right bag for me, but I'd love to hear thoughts! The bag actually comes in grey with silver hardware and it looks great but I'm trying to be practical and for something so expensive black will hide any little smudges or damage/wear so much better than grey!

13-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ The grey doesn't seem impractical to me ... is there something about the finish that makes you think it won't wear well? I think you should go for the one you'll really love, and buy it someplace good so that if you do have an issue, it can be addressed.

14-08-2012
once more, with feeling

My last "French method" move has been the completely unglamorous replacing of a few of my white layering tees. It was long overdue, but not done mostly because it isn't very exciting.

I have found a brand that seems good for long-lasting basics like white tees, though--Boden. My J. Crew tees don't seem to drape that well after a few washes, and my C&C ones have worn to shreds on the sleeves. But the Boden ones are well reviewed, and the one tee I started off with has held up nicely so far.

14-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I've had good luck with the cardigans I got from them. The fit isn't that great for me, unfortunately ...

14-08-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
the SA insisted on showing me formal things when I said I was shopping for casual, and just as I started checking out the more casual department, insisted I come be fitted. I guess he hasn't figured out yet that I am a very focused shopper
I've been a long time lurker of these threads and I really admire the way you shop. I tend to be a stress shopper and moving/new job recently has ratcheted up the retail therapy sessions. I took a peek at my closet last night and realized that I have a closet full of polyester cheapies and not-practical-for-real-life runway things. :T I don't even own a white button down--how did this happen?!

14-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ My view is that shopping for your wardrobe is way too important to be burdened with 'retail therapy' I did it when I was younger, and ended up with some weird stuff. I remember a perfume in particular that so wasn't me ... but it was apparently me that one day I was feeling awful and went shopping.

My advice is to find another outlet for your angst, and give your wardrobe the priority it deserves. Pet your dog ... meditate ... there are 101 better alternatives And just say no to polyester ...

15-08-2012
trendsetter

Hello girls. Long time no see.

My vacation was great! Coming home was .... stressfull. Started my studies again AND my new job monday - and opened my new blog, which I've designed myself, sunday. Now I'm back though. A little time away from blogs and my wardrobe make me think clearly - or so it feels

Recieved the cape, and it is great. I'm not sure however, if I think I can wear it with my leather jacket underneath, but I think I'll keep it. If the jacket cannot be used with it, I'll buy some long, leather gloves. Also made two other purchases, a pan-am coloured (words of my brother) midiskirt bought in a 2nd hand store near my mothers home, and a gorgeous vintage dress with a pearl detaling at the back, bought in Amsterdam.

That makes a total of five purchases at the second month of my AW season, which is ... a lot. I'm not worried though, since I tend to shop more at the beginning of the season, and have my eyes on several furnitures and a couple of glasses I would like to have as well.

Also added a couple of wishes to my list;

- White angora sweater
- Cognac bag
- A couple of shoes. Statement (coloured or glittery) ballet flats or brogues or sculptural heels. Should be comfortable enough for every day wear.

None of the above is critical needs, but things I would like if the right kind appears.

Pics via ellos.dk and my blog.

15-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Love both pieces!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe