How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

16-08-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Love both pieces!
Thx

Had to return one of my silk shirt today, since it had tiny holes in it. I know silk is fragile, but this has never happened to any of my other silk pieces. Lesson learned, never buy silk pieces at H&M.

Don't think I'll have to replace it immediatly, since I have other white shirts/blouses. Just bought the one with the black bow, and since fall is coming I think I'll manage with it and my other long sleeved, light blouses. I find them more flattering for me than short sleeved blouses anyway.

17-08-2012
backstage pass

Hi everyone!

Betinapple: the cape is beautiful! And so is the dress! So pretty! Congratulations! How is your new job? And you must tell me the address of your new blog, so I can have a look sometimes.

SalomelovesJohn: Not sure whether you still want advice on the bags? Personally, I think a bag is such an essential that you shouldn't compromise. You probably will want to wear it a lot, with many things... So it should look perfect with everything, too. I'd say if you aren't really sure about the hardware than maybe wait for a more perfect version. Why not grey? Personally, I think colors like grey, olive, beige can be easier to be worn during both summer and winter. But maybe that's just my personal love for these colors

Me: So many pretty things out there!! I'm quite the window shopper right now. So many cute stuff is arriving everywhere, fall really must be my season. Still trying to wait a little though, I've just bought my Roger Viviers two weeks ago... Everytime when I see them my heart is jumping for joy! Just looking at them can make me resist other temptations

17-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Glad you're loving them so much, that's great

I got a nice compliment today ... I was walking to my car after work, and one of my coworkers rolled down his window and asked me could he ask me a question ... where do I buy my clothes? (He was looking for ideas of where to buy something for his wife.) I liked my outfit today, and when he asked me this I stopped to think when I bought the different pieces ... I honestly don't know, but only the shoes were 'current season' (the MiuMius). The rest have some mileage on them, but I still love every piece. You hear people talk about 'current season' like it's something important, but any idiot can go out and buy something ... to me, much better than that is for something you bought years ago to still be great. I came very close to explaining this recently to someone who complimented my straw bag and then asked if it were current season (as regular readers of this thread know, it's not ).

18-08-2012
V.I.P.

do you think he would have been disappointed to learn that you buy some of your standout, amazeballs pieces at nordstrom and other "expensive" stores?

i dont think it occurs to a lot of men (like my dad) to look beyond department stores like macy's target, jc penney etc. i even think a dude like my dad would be less likely to go into a smaller mall chain store. he hates shopping. and somehow these department stores are less "painfull" for him to go into. (thankfully me and my mom buy clothes for him)

i do not wear current season items usually unless they are items for work (ie from banana republic etc). for one thing, it can take months for an item to grow on me. i usually refuse to pay retail for an item. a lot of the items i want are from topshop, so i wait until they get on the resale market (which doesnt take long actually). that can result in serious savings for me.

18-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I told him I buy most of my things at Nordstrom and Barney's. He asked me where Barney's was, I explained, including how to get there from where we were, and it was clear he thought it was way too far I explained that the best Nordstrom was in the same mall as Barney's, but that there is a closer one.

I don't really consider Nordstrom an expensive store ... it's a pretty standard department store in terms of what they carry, plus there's some high end stuff. Some of the really nice stuff isn't available in this area at all. It's a little hard to deny that Barney's is expensive, though Co-op is fairly reasonable ... however, since it is way too far to drive, I guess he'll never find out

18-08-2012
tfs star

I'm packing to move out to another apartment, and am pretty impressed with myself at my compact, working wardrobe, thanks to this method! All my winter clothes fit into two big cartons already, and am working out the other stuff.

But I think this method really works when you're equally willing to toss things, not just buy few items. I just tossed away four pairs of well-loved shoes RIP...you bore my weight, traveled with me step by step around the world, protected me, gave me confidence, beauty, warmth, comfort and pleasure. We've shared so many memories together. I wanted to do a ceremony but just put them in the bin with a kind word for each one. I wish there were a cemetery for shoes, I get slightly sentimental when letting them go.

19-08-2012
backstage pass

Thanks for the advice. I will probably check out the grey again. I love grey and wear it often
I think it would also work great in my wardrobe. Really my only issue would be I worry about a
grey bag looking worn/used faster.

No new purchases for me since my sweater last month. I'm just enjoying seeing what is coming out for fall and have been making a maybe list.

Nice complement ta-ta! Nordstroms seems normal to me now but was very fancy to me when I was younger and they do carry some very high end items.
Posted via Mobile Device

19-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ salome, you can always take it to the cobbler for cleaning and polishing ...

20-08-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Hi everyone!

Betinapple: the cape is beautiful! And so is the dress! So pretty! Congratulations! How is your new job? And you must tell me the address of your new blog, so I can have a look sometimes.
Thx a bunch!

My new job is great. I've been asked to work all days this week so I'm crazy busy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to write my blogadress here, so I'll send you a PM.

Speaking of job, I desperately need a pair of good sneakers. My feet is killing me from standing so many hours. I'm not sure wether I'll make this one of my ten items, since they are workwear. I only wear sneakers in my sparetime when I, for some odd reason, have to be dressed very practical or walk a lot (primarily on vacation, hour long shopping sprees can easily be done in ballet flats or pistols).

24-08-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

^When I started working at H&M, ions ago, the first thing I got was a pair of Reeboks. My feet was killing me as well. They worked wonders. I havn't really worn sneakers since (not counting scruffing around in a pair Converse once or twice a month), but time seems to be right for a new pair.

RedandNavy, oh it's just for fun. I'm just taking a year of from uni. And I've always wanted to go skiing for a season. I'll be working full time in a ski rental shop. So it's not only fun and games.

Salome, yeah kind of I'm pretty much broke atm. So I have to really contemplate wether I really need whatever pieces I find. Both because of my lackluster economy but also because I really can't bring my entire wardrobe with me. So it's a challenge, one I'm up for nonetheless.

I've already changed my list, meaning that I've scratched most things.
That's why I love this thread (as well as making lists in general), both really make me rethink most of my purchases.

26-08-2012
trendsetter

@Tine: Sneakers are a musthave! I'm just really having a hard time finding some that I like AND a good for my feet.

29-08-2012
backstage pass

Purchased a pair of black dress pants the other day, mine are both baggy and my one workhorse pair is getting rather worn. The best part was I bought them in the next size down! They are a little snug, but I'll get there in the next month or so.

Otherwise, I haven't felt like shopping now that I have my "favorites" pinned. Still waiting on a pre-order to come in September and enjoying seeing what is new each week.

29-08-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Tine: Sneakers are a musthave! I'm just really having a hard time finding some that I like AND a good for my feet.
I've just never been a sneaker girl. Though I am starting to see the benefits of them for other purposes than work.
I actually like many of them, it's probably the hidden skater in me, but I just have a hard time imaging myself rocking most pairs.
And I agree it can be a hustle finding a pair that fit 100 %, either I have enormous expectations or my feet are just not fit for sneaks..

29-08-2012
Rebaptising my badness

Speaking of sneakers, I've recently injured my right ankle and I felt like I needed "safer" footwear to walk around, but I didn't want to give up on style for the sake of comfort, so I bought a pair of these Adidas and they feel like heaven. Love them. My sister jokes and says they're my rapper sneakers.

[credit: sport2000.nl]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40588_2_2.jpg (118.2 KB, 1 views)

30-08-2012
trendsetter

@Tine: me neither! My style is very 1950's/60's. Some days more contemporary but still very feminine! I'm usually wearing dresses or a-line skirts and for that sneakers just do not go. At least no other sneakers than converse which is no good for my feet for this purpose.

I've got my eyes on a pair of bourdeaux nikes. Still very chunky but a lot more me than the other hundreds of sneakers I've been looking at. I think I will wear them with jeans, a nice blouse and a blazer, a draped skirt and a sweater, jeans and a striped t-shirt and so on. So the look still says "me".

They are mainly for work but once in a while I use sneakers in my sparetime as well. Mainly for holidays and other occasions where I have to walk a lot.

@Nemova: they are nice but way to sporty for me! Not so much rapper here

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe