How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-08-2012
backstage pass

Sneakers: I'm happy with the ones I purchased in spring. Converse don't really work for me, I get sweaty feet in them. They are way overprized if you ask me. They do have a nice design but I don't think their quality is good. Kind of like Repetto ballerinas. I love them for their design, but honestly when you look at how well (or not well) they last, they are too expensive. I guess I'm still gonna buy them because they are so nice on my feet though.

Dry Cleaning: I brought ten of my best pieces to the dry cleaning last week and got them back yesterday. I paid no less than 150 USD! The dry cleaning lady looked like she felt sorry for me... Nevertheless I consider it money well invested, since they did a great job (as far as I can see). For example, they managed to clean a silk dress that I feared was ruined forever because of heavy stains. And the other pieces just needed a good cleaning as well. So I really didn't feel half as sorry about the 150 USD than the lady felt for me... I just considered it a good investment into a small but good wardrobe.

30-08-2012
front row

talking about sneaker, i recently got a pair of cool looking nike running shoes after years of not owning any, well, people certainly change with time. i used to only wear sporty looking clothes back to my teens, and then all of sudden, i completely abandoned them. now after years of not attaching to any sporty element, i'm slowly morphing back. not really back to the old, just think "en, i might be ready to pick up some sporty elements here and there, and incorporate them into my style, even only just occasionally"...

my new running shoes is in color grayish blue and gray, i think it will look fantastic with a pair of gray wool pants in the winter. somehow tailored clothes with sneakers in my eyes works wonders. it has that extra "unexpected" chic factor, very contemporary. usually italians nails this look. i was surprised to see so many classic, impeccably dressed people with sneakers in italy. it's classicism with a wit, i assume. very cool!

30-08-2012
front row

to make my point clear, i borrowed some pics from an editorial of Numero magazine september 2012. i love this editorial

relay.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k02.jpg (55.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg k05.jpg (91.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg k06.jpg (93.0 KB, 15 views)

30-08-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

^I agree sneakers can look very nice styled with something more, well, elegant. The one pair of converse I have i tend to wear with dresses or skirts, either for everyday or when I want to dress down a bit for going to a pub or something of that sort.
They are actually everywhere here in DK, and people will wear them with everything.
I just need to find a pair of proper sneakers (I don't count converse since they really aren't that comfortable, as RedandNavy mentioned) that has the right mix of something street and something more polished.
The colour of yours sound great.

31-08-2012
trendsetter

@RedAndNavy: I love my allstars - or the look of them. I use them for work atm, but I need REAL sneakers if I want my feet to survive. I'm not that pleased with the foresight of having to spend half of my first sallary on something as boring as sneakers, but it is neccesary.

02-09-2012
trendsetter

Me and my boyfriend cleaned the apartment today, which ended up with a major "home-detox". I threw away a lot of old accesories, jewelry (H&M bling) work-out clothes, night gowns, papers etc. In total; 3 huge garbage bags. How does one collect so much crap (pardon my french)?

Seeing how nice and roomy our 31 squaremeter apartment looks now really makes me want to do a wardrobe cleanout as well, even though there is not much to get rid of. I'm really in love with having a small wardrobe with only pieces I love and actually wear, and I would love to get rid of my huge closet that takes up most of the bedroom space, and replace it with a couple of clothes racks and some shelves for shoes boxes, and call it a day.

05-09-2012
trendsetter

Green, I totally agree the Italian sneakers look is amazing.
They take jeans and sneakers (together and separately) to new heights.

Sneakers that may double as jogging shoes and as town shoes are on my fall list.
Still havent found thigh-high black suede boots and booties that I like, getting impatient. I like Zara's thigh-highs but their shoes are always uncomfy.

06-09-2012
front row

what I'd like for fall:
- a thin, crew-neck black wool sweater. I've got a feeling that this is the sort of basic basic that will prove to be harder to find than I think in exactly the right shape/fabric/feel/neckline/whatever for me. I don't mind hunting though.
- some jeans, dark blue, somewhere between straight and skinny, with a higher waist but not too high
- boots. black? maybe.
- sneakers for taking long walks. something like these Humanoid sneakers, but I'm afraid they're a bit above my budget. Ooh, browsing the Humanoid site gives me a lot more ideas of things I want...

07-09-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomelovesjohn View Post
I'm intrigued by the Alexander Wang tee since his basic seem very popular. Is it a thicker or thiner fabric? J.Crew's tee are often so thin they need to be layered, well if you don't want a bra showing so very very much.

I the Hindu quote.

So here is a neat quote from theviviennefiles.blogspot.com, which is an interesting blog on buying less but better quality. I'm rather surprised Americans were ever at a 29 piece average. Then again 59 is surprising considering that I don't see men shopping so much. My husband is a natural "French" shopper. He only buys a few items a season, just what he needs and what suits him at a piece point and by a designer that he likes for the most part. Honestly, I could learn alot from his habits....

[FONT='Trebuchet MS', sans-serif]In the mid-1990s, the average American bought 29 items of clothing a year. Today, we buy 59 items. We also throw away an average of 83 pounds of textiles per person, mostly discarded apparel, each year. - [/FONT]From Mother Jones.
Also, from that blog was this:

"A few years ago, a distant relative died, leaving nobody near to her to clean out her home. My mother and I gamely volunteered to take on the project, and in retrospect I think we were both suffering from temporary insanity. Bless this woman for being a nice person and a good friend, but she did not own ONE thing worth passing on to posterity. Not one nice book, not a single beautiful piece of furniture, no lovely jewelry or vintage clothing - absolutely nothing!

What she did leave behind was a vast, almost impenetrable mess of cheap clothing, cheap dishes, cheap furniture, and mounds of unsorted paperwork. It wasn't a question of not having enough money - I know for a fact that she could have afforded fewer, nicer things. But it was definitely a question of never feeling worthy of the one big, beautiful, enduringly precious item that could have brought joy to her every day.

So now, when I'm pondering a potential purchase, I remember her and the sad lack of heirlooms (or even just mementos) that she left behind. And I wonder, when I look at that sweater or dish or CD, if anybody will want this thing when I'm gone."

Wow, just wow. And you know what I had a similar experience with a relative myself!

I go to higher-end estate sales around my city with my parents, as they resell collectables/jewelry/etc. Sometimes it's quite staggering at *how* *much* *stuff* people own! 4-5 complete sets of dishes (I'm talking the kind with 12 place settings apiece), closets packed full of poor quality clothing (literally 6-10 feet of hanging space packed full), and tables full of ceramic figurines and nicknacks. It boggles the mind. It also makes me reconsider my own purchases. Since I started helping my parents out, I've purged a lot of my own belongings. It really gives you a perspective on your own needs/wants, and makes you more thoughtful about your spending habits.

07-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
what I'd like for fall:
- a thin, crew-neck black wool sweater. I've got a feeling that this is the sort of basic basic that will prove to be harder to find than I think in exactly the right shape/fabric/feel/neckline/whatever for me. I don't mind hunting though.
I second that remark. Especially in my price range.

08-09-2012
backstage pass

I just came back from a week in France. I shopped some children's pyjamas at petit bateau and tried on a simple basic tee and loved it. So I bought two simple basic tees for layering, that I won't count on here now... But they look great and relaxed, very much the tee I always longed to find. It seems that French lines like Petit Bateau and APC have the best casual basics (tees and some very basic cardigans) for me. Still haven't chosen my official "September item" yet, but it'll very likely be a sweater.

09-09-2012
V.I.P.

i have spent over $400 in the past two weeks dry cleaning items and 50$ on shoe repair..(luckily i had a 20% off coupon so it could have been worse) my work items look a lot better now...

i basically cleaned EVERYTHING that called for drycleaning on the label.

normally i make do with handwashing items in the sink and using dry cleaners secret or dryell on sweaters that need to be drycleaned. (i can use these products in a normal dryer)

i cleaned out my closet and got rid of 7 grocery bags full of items...and donated my wool winter coat used during the past two years...this winter i am going to make do with my thinner overcoats and use my shearlings if the weather is really horrible.

i am still on the lookout for a few items:

black skinny jeans (i might check g star raw but i am not sure how much these jeans stretch if they are raw denim. i also need to factor in the expense/difficulty of finding jeans that fit because i am petite)

thick warm sweater (this might be difficult because most stores peddle cheap acrylic items that arent very warm at all)

shearling or leather winter boots (i saw a nice pair at all saints that were leather but shearling lined, maybe i could spray them with some water repellent stuff so they would be suitable for the snow)

low hunter boots suitable for rain (i have a pair of cheap wellingtons that cost 20$ but they are hot and sweaty and unsuitable for walking distances) i might check to see if my local madewell store is selling them.

09-09-2012
backstage pass

Lucy: Oh, I'm glad to see someone else spends a fortune on drycleaning. But it is worth it, isn't it? The things look so much better if you take care of them... Same with shoes. One question about the Hunter's? Do they really make feet less sweaty than an average pair of cheap rubber boots? Then I might have to buy one pair, too, because I have the same problem with my pair.

Linen knits: Does anyone have any experience with linen knits? I've seen a beautiful cardigan, knitwear but in linen. Not really sure whether that is a problem?

09-09-2012
Power to the 99%

^ No, not a problem ... linen has kind of a dry look to it, just a different appearance than cotton or wool. It's not very common here, but seems to be in the UK.

09-09-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrassia View Post
talking about sneaker, i recently got a pair of cool looking nike running shoes after years of not owning any, well, people certainly change with time. i used to only wear sporty looking clothes back to my teens, and then all of sudden, i completely abandoned them. now after years of not attaching to any sporty element, i'm slowly morphing back. not really back to the old, just think "en, i might be ready to pick up some sporty elements here and there, and incorporate them into my style, even only just occasionally"...

my new running shoes is in color grayish blue and gray, i think it will look fantastic with a pair of gray wool pants in the winter. somehow tailored clothes with sneakers in my eyes works wonders. it has that extra "unexpected" chic factor, very contemporary. usually italians nails this look. i was surprised to see so many classic, impeccably dressed people with sneakers in italy. it's classicism with a wit, i assume. very cool!
I so agree, I have spent hours searching for Italian Streetstyle pictures for inspiration... I love this casual and sporty yet really chic look.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe