How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-09-2012
Power to the 99%

^ And don't forget you allow yourself two items from the sales The other thing is, many pieces can be easily dressed up and down. So while you might want things that are casual and things that are dressy, probably things you already have (and at least some of the things you will buy) can work in both categories, with the right other items ... Like your new coat. It reads dressy, but I can definitely see how you could dress it down with cigarette pants or jeans.

23-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ And don't forget you allow yourself two items from the sales The other thing is, many pieces can be easily dressed up and down. So while you might want things that are casual and things that are dressy, probably things you already have (and at least some of the things you will buy) can work in both categories, with the right other items ... Like your new coat. It reads dressy, but I can definitely see how you could dress it down with cigarette pants or jeans.
Very true. I think what I need pretty soon is a pair of good formal pants... One must be enough for the moment, I can add another one next season. Indeed most of my tops can be dressed up or down.

You know what I did just now? I rearranged my closet and actually I threw a few things out. Whenever I feel like I urgently need to empty my saving account this is a good therapy. It shows you that indeed the closet isn't totally empty And by taking out a few things that don't really deserve the space in the closet anymore you can see better the few things that still work...

28-09-2012
backstage pass

I think mixing animal prints and breaking other "rules" makes everything look more fresh and modern.

I picked up a few new things. A sweater and top from All Saints. The top has a dark and moody feel to the floral print - and the sweater is very basic but super soft merino wool with a bit of a detail in the back that I really like. I also got the most amazing cotton and cashmere henley in grey from Majestic Paris - I brand I haven't heard off. It looks like something I've already owned for ages and is super soft - a luxe basic. The All Saints top is for work and the sweater and henley are for my weekend wear.

I'm trying to keep my shopping in check and really focus on getting fewer, better items, but wow is it hard sometimes!

pictures from www.us.allsaints.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all saints sweater.jpg (6.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg all saints top.jpg (9.8 KB, 173 views)

28-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Very true. I think what I need pretty soon is a pair of good formal pants... One must be enough for the moment, I can add another one next season. Indeed most of my tops can be dressed up or down.

You know what I did just now? I rearranged my closet and actually I threw a few things out. Whenever I feel like I urgently need to empty my saving account this is a good therapy. It shows you that indeed the closet isn't totally empty And by taking out a few things that don't really deserve the space in the closet anymore you can see better the few things that still work...
I did this recently too and was able to cosign a load of items. My closet still has too much, but now getting dressed is definitely easier and I see more of *me* in there. I'm taking another load to the consignment store this weekend and I'll see how big my check from them is, all I know is that it is over $100!

28-09-2012
backstage pass

I did want to post separately that I was able to completely purchase my daughter's wardrobe for the next year at least using the principles in this thread! Buying for children can be a bit challenging because they outgrow everything so quickly and so many items are so cute that you can really go overboard - plus everything is so colorful - and well I'm not.

So I came up with a list of what she needed and then a color pallate - navy, white, and pink. Once I did that I got her a pair of pink and then navy shoes as the basics. Then I basically did a fall/winter to spring/summer wardrobe that would coordinate. I splurged on some things - like a really cute hat and scarf set - to go with other things, like her navy coat - that I got on sale. I'm insanely proud of how cute her wardrobe is going to be and also how easy it will be to dress her! Plus since everything is based on those colors it becomes so easy to layer and dress for seasonal transitions!

Now why can't I do this for myself all the time!??

28-09-2012
backstage pass

SalomelovesJohn: Woooooowww! Congratulations on being so focused regarding your daughter's wardrobe!! I forgot: how old is she??? My children are 3 1/2 (my son) and 1 1/2 (my daughter) and I admit their wardrobe is quite a mess... Actually we got quite a few pieces second hand from their cousins and then there are the gifts and there is stuff I am tempted to buy... Not focused at all, to be honest. And sometimes definitely too colorful. I avoid buying all those colorful pants for kids though, they make it impossible to look chic together with all those colorful tops.

I like your new purchases! I love those kind of sweaters, very basic but in a great material... Congrats! Oh, and I know it is really hard to focus and stay away from shopping sometimes...

I think I might get an item that I preordered in May soon. It's a burgundy fur vest from MCQ. I'm not sure I will consider it my October item though. I might allow myself something extra this time since I really feel I need to replace some things. But I don't really know yet. First of all I decided to wait for that vest that should arrive in October.

Oh, and actually today two gorgeous dresses that I was admiring at NAP sold out. In a way, I felt relieved when I saw that

Last edited by RedandNavy; 28-09-2012 at 02:58 PM.

28-09-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
SalomelovesJohn: Woooooowww! Congratulations on being so focused regarding your daughter's wardrobe!! I forgot: how old is she??? My children are 3 1/2 (my son) and 1 1/2 (my daughter) and I admit their wardrobe is quite a mess... Actually we got quite a few pieces second hand from their cousins and then there are the gifts and there is stuff I am tempted to buy... Not focused at all, to be honest. And sometimes definitely too colorful. I avoid buying all those colorful pants for kids though, they make it impossible to look chic together with all those colorful tops.

I like your new purchases! I love those kind of sweaters, very basic but in a great material... Congrats! Oh, and I know it is really hard to focus and stay away from shopping sometimes...

I think I might get an item that I preordered in May soon. It's a burgundy fur vest from MCQ. I'm not sure I will consider it my October item though. I might allow myself something extra this time since I really feel I need to replace some things. But I don't really know yet. First of all I decided to wait for that vest that should arrive in October.

Oh, and actually today two gorgeous dresses that I was admiring at NAP sold out. In a way, I felt relieved when I saw that
I know that feeling! I've been eyeing a yellow full skirt and when it sold out I was like "oh well - money in my pocket" instead of my previous-self's "Oh no. Now I HAVE to get it".

29-09-2012
backstage pass

Haha, Betinapple, nice to hear you know that feeling...

I'm trying to make a new list with my must haves in order to stay focused. Honestly, I know that by February I want to shop spring/summer stuff, so the season only lasts till late december / early january (end of season sales).

October: My preordered vest and a pair of work trousers. I know I am cheating my one item per month strategy, but in this case it's just necessary.
November: A pair of boots

And then I will allow myself four more items: one in December, one in January and two extra items in the sales. I might get all of these in the sales though, we'll see.

These four items should be:
  • A wool sweater for cold days
  • A dress, could be a knit dress... Something I can wear around Christmas.
  • A handbag, it could be either a clutch or an everyday bag, I sooner or later want to replace both
  • Another pair of boots or fall/winter shoes. Ankle or knee-high, flat or heeled... depends on what I got in November...

Even if I cheated myself with one more item than usual, I still feel like I'm really limiting myself...

Last edited by RedandNavy; 29-09-2012 at 02:06 AM.

30-09-2012
trendsetter

@RedandNavy: I think your thoughts seem very realistic compared to your goal of buying 1 item each month. I think I might would allow myself a couple of items in the sales like you, but I'm thinking of moving my season so they follow the actual seasons, so it wont be an issue until the summer sales.

Right now my season are january through june and july through december. I'm thinking of taking a break when this season is done and starting over from march so my seasons will be spring/summer (March through August) and autumn winter (September through February). I am not going to go nuts in January and February but I am probaly going to stock up on some basics on the sales (my favourite jersey dress/top in grey and a new pair of black ballet flats).

As for now I have bought 8 out of 10 items - and I have bought a cheap, sequin clutch at E-bay to update my look, but I am not sure wether to count it as an item or as an accesory. I do not think I am going to shop a whole lot more this season since I am moving in fourteen days and need to buy a lot of furniture (and a new wardrobe to keep my clothes in). I would like a black woolen sweater, but I want it super basic, so I think I'll just go for Benneton.

04-10-2012
backstage pass

@redandnavy, Aw, our daughters are almost the same age. Mine is close to 1 1/2. Yes, children's clothes can be very bright - I leave buying those to her grandma!

I'm excited to hear about your fur vest - I love fur and would love a vest just nothing too bulky.

@bentiapple, I don't count all small purchases myself.

05-10-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomelovesjohn View Post
@redandnavy, Aw, our daughters are almost the same age. Mine is close to 1 1/2. Yes, children's clothes can be very bright - I leave buying those to her grandma!

I'm excited to hear about your fur vest - I love fur and would love a vest just nothing too bulky.

@bentiapple, I don't count all small purchases myself.
It is nice to hear that I am not the only one "cheating" Thx.

07-10-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I agree ... I wouldn't count an inexpensive accessory.

I got my new Lucky the other day, and realized I have never heard back from them with my customized shopping list ... Hopefully it is just slow in coming.

My new ballet flats seem to be made with not the best inner materials and are extremely stiff in the back--it's like there's cardboard in there or something Anyway, wore them for only half a day, and got the worst blister I've ever had, which is still healing. I think I may be able to wear them with tights (apparently not with bare feet). If not, thank goodness I got them from Nordstrom and can return them if I need to, even though they've clearly been worn.

07-10-2012
V.I.P.

^you might want to look into blister stick. i think dr. scholls has some. they sell it at CVS and other pharmacies.

i'm still on the hunt for a suitable sweater. i hate sweaters that itch or are made out of cheap materials that arent warm! that rules out 99% of sweaters!

i'm also thinking about a new trench coat. the one i have has faded from black to a charcoal color. not sure what kind of fabric i should go for. a lot of rainjackets and trenches feel rather bulky on me which i hate!

i am thinking about the following items from all saints:

this cardigan sweater is $150. it is oxblood which is good. it wont be super warm but i like the style of it...maybe i'm better off buying long underwear type shirts to go underneath it?

this black leather jacket is midlength. i previously donated my leather jacket that was this length last season. it was good for blocking out wind. this kind of style is few and far between...so maybe i should pounce...also the material is thin so it definitely doesnt feel bulky. looks like a forever jacket (i would never donate anything like this! gosh, that sounds terrible!)

these boots have shearling in them. so they'd be warm. all saints says they have a rubber forepart (not sure what that means - maybe part of the sole is rubber) i think i'd have to find a way to waterproof these boots. does anyone have any experience with waterproof spray on leather? does it work well?

us.allsaints.com

07-10-2012
rising star

every season I'm buying 5-6 pieces but I'm afraid that it looks like I'm always in same clothes.

for one week I need at least 4 combinations for work, 2-3 combinations for coffee or drink with friends, 1 combination for some special dinner or something ...

I like my clothes but I think that I really have nothing to wear.

can someone post photos of your "the 4-5 piece french wardrobe" combinations for one week?

07-10-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I'm pretty sure we have another thread about this ...

So what are you buying ... what did you buy this season? It sounds like you might be missing statement pieces, if it looks like you're always in the same clothes ...

I find that separates really help with making different combinations.

Today I wore ...
  • Black silk tunic cardigan ... so old I think I bought it before I ever started posting here
  • Black pants I bought this season
  • Lavender cotton blouse with tulle and jewel embellishment at neckline
  • Purple tights
  • Black and white polka dot ballet flats (which I changed to my black/ivory 'spat' ribbon-lace oxfords when I realized I was going to have to walk to brunch since my car is unhappy today)--both pairs of shoes bought this season
  • Black uncut corduroy coat
So you can see between the color and the statement shoes that this outfit would definitely be distinguishable from another ... and everything here can be combined in a bunch of different ways with other pieces.

I would suggest adding color and statement pieces. If you already have a ton of basics, you could focus just on this for your next couple seasons to get some more excitement into the mix. Usually I do half and half.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe