How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-10-2012
rising star

nemova, thank you very much for your post ... I will use that advice for some other color, not for red. like I already wrote I like red, but with red t-shirt or dress I look like snow white. it's probably just my impression but still ...

09-10-2012
backstage pass

Snow white doesn't sound too bad

Your English isn't bad at all btw! Besides I have a tendency to make terrible mistakes whenever I'm posting here and that still doesn't keep me away...

10-10-2012
rising star

Snow white doesn't sound too bad [/QUOTE]

it doesn't sound too bad but in my case it looks bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Your English isn't bad at all btw! Besides I have a tendency to make terrible mistakes whenever I'm posting here and that still doesn't keep me away...
you should hear me how I talk ... when I speak english I sound like a drunk russian. and I'm not russian. and I'm almost never drunk.

people, sorry for off-topic.

10-10-2012
backstage pass

Despite having thought that I might betray my 1 item per month strategy in October, I haven't been shopping at all so far. I know it's only the 10th... But I used to choose my monthly item during the first few days of the month. Right now I try to work with what I have... Which is not that little after all. :p I am still waiting for my pre-ordered fur vest though Should have been here by now, but seems they are late.

Anyway, I realize I don't feel such a huge need for shopping like I did some years ago. I'm getting healthier I guess

10-10-2012
scenester

I couldn't find a post about this in the thread, so does anyone know how large a "French" wardrobe actually is? I.e. how many items of dresses, shirts, etc.

11-10-2012
Power to the 99%

^ That all depends on the person I'm pretty sure I've posted counts of things before (as you can see from the title, there are other parts to this thread, it might be in an earlier one). The idea is that you purchase 4-5 key pieces per season in the best quality you can afford, so that they will last. You then build on that season by season. (Of course if you have a compact wardrobe, things do wear out and need to be discarded, which is part of life.)

11-10-2012
tfs star

Yay, I got three items crossed off my fall French list:

black down coat
black knee-high boots
black booties

Boring black basics done, what a relief to fill in gaping gaps! Surprising how hard nice comfy normal black suede boots are to find...I was lucky to find gorgeous nubuck knee-high wedges 50% off. The booties however have a kitten/pin heel...I'm having second thoughts that I need something more practical for extensive walking too.
I knew I'm fussy so when I found a decent (flattering...important for a down puffy) coat from Zara early on in the fall I just snapped it up.

Have to consult what my other items were, but I need a big everyday work bag. I think I'll just replace my Longchamp pliage for the fifth (?) time...very light, sturdy and versatile. (Wish I could afford a Lanvin but not now)! I also need good sneakers. I still have to post the promised photos of my summer shopping spree!

11-10-2012
tfs star

Update a few hours later: got my black bag and sneakers too
I guess I'm pretty much set for the season! Plus just need some comfy every-day mid-heels, which should not be too hard since they are for practical purposes. I have all these black basics finally replaced, now I have to take that inventory of what I have so I can see what cheap accessories I can add in what color.

Marusenka, really great selections! And, I agree with R&N and Ta-ta...I also wear lots of lacy, fishnet, textured black tights, also layer colored tights with lacy ones. Your coloring sounds gorgeous; people like you would look lovely in icy white pastels, like icy blue, icy lilac, etc.as well as jewel tones like emerald, amethyst, lapis lazuli, and fuschia.

11-10-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Glad to hear you got so many things crossed off your list--and at least one bargain too

Something else I do is vary the hue within the color family, and very often the pieces can be mixed together. For example, I have lavender, plum, and deep purple, which I wear with black, cream, navy neutral pieces. So you might try some variations within the colors you already like.

18-10-2012
Power to the 99%

Still no reply from Lucky So I had a thought ... maybe we could just do it here, if anyone's interested (in a spinoff thread). Make a Pinterest board illustrating our color schemes/personal style/recent purchases/favorite brands/inspirations, set price/item/whatever criteria, and then we could do seasonal 'shopping lists' for each other in a separate thread. Or you could put one together for yourself. What do you think ... useful? too much trouble? Anyone interested in doing this?

18-10-2012
Rebaptising my badness

I think it's a lovely idea, ta-ta.

18-10-2012
botanizing on the asphalt

^agree. pinterest is so weirdly revealing...i'm finding all kinds of patterns in my habits and attractions that I wasn't cognizant of before.

I've also been on the hunt for some basics in black this season. Just realizing--as I've never been very deliberate about assembling "a wardrobe"--that there are gaps that have come up (because of things wearing out) and also some gaps that have shockingly never been filled. I finally invested in a proper black bag (below); next up are some slim knee-high black leather boots and a slightly slouchy black trouser. I also think I need a simple black knit top with an asymmetrical hem...I have a lot of skirts with asymmetrical details at the waist or hip (exaggerated pockets, frills, etc) and I hate tucking stuff in.

{yoox and totokaelo}
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMMreplicabag.jpg (10.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg slouchytrouser.jpg (52.3 KB, 6 views)

19-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Still no reply from Lucky So I had a thought ... maybe we could just do it here, if anyone's interested (in a spinoff thread). Make a Pinterest board illustrating our color schemes/personal style/recent purchases/favorite brands/inspirations, set price/item/whatever criteria, and then we could do seasonal 'shopping lists' for each other in a separate thread. Or you could put one together for yourself. What do you think ... useful? too much trouble? Anyone interested in doing this?
I am really interested in doing this! I just haven't used pinterest so far. You access it with your Facebook account?

19-10-2012
Power to the 99%

^ No, it can be a whole separate thing (I don't have a Facebook account) ... I think there's probably a Facebook access option?

OK, I will start a thread in the near future for this ... should be fun!

19-10-2012
backstage pass

I've started using pinterest now... Have added a few things that I own and that I would love to own. No idea if that's what you were thinking of? But how will we do? I don't want to go too public with this. Would rather just exchange thoughts with a few...?!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe