How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-01-2012
V.I.P.

ATM1985, please remember you need to credit every image you post at TFS. it is part of our Community Rules. please provide a source in this thread.

this is my preliminary list of what i need this upcoming season:

leather shell (its like a tank but made of leather and appropriate for the office and evenings out) i saw a prada one recently at a local vintage store. i'm going back this weekend to check to see if its still there (and marked down from 200$ of course!)

triple stand faux pearl necklace kinda like what jackie O and michelle obama might wear. i might get the officially licensed jackie O version.

not sure what else i might need. i need to cull my existing wardrobe first, and i'm just dreading it.

06-01-2012
rising star

Whoops, didn't realize I'd accidentally cut that out when messing with the image. Credit Zappos.

07-01-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
ATM1985, please remember you need to credit every image you post at TFS. it is part of our Community Rules. please provide a source in this thread.

this is my preliminary list of what i need this upcoming season:

leather shell (its like a tank but made of leather and appropriate for the office and evenings out) i saw a prada one recently at a local vintage store. i'm going back this weekend to check to see if its still there (and marked down from 200$ of course!)

triple stand faux pearl necklace kinda like what jackie O and michelle obama might wear. i might get the officially licensed jackie O version.

not sure what else i might need. i need to cull my existing wardrobe first, and i'm just dreading it.
The leather shell sounds like fun!

How come you need to cull? (Is this a dumb question? )

07-01-2012
V.I.P.

i need to cull because right now i cant even fit another hanger in. its jammed pack. i also have the added disadvantage of not having a coat closet or some other utlity closet where i can store stuff that's accessible (i live in new england so i have a TON of outerwear and leather items) i have a anemic-looing coat rack that i can only hang two coats on. i also have not changed size since the 7th grade. (so its not like i can get rid of stuff once i size out of it - i also dont forsee changing sizes) i still have a bunch of things i've worn in high school. they are designer items so it might be wasteful to get rid of them and i dont think i would get a lot for them on ebay.

i have made abut 5 trips to buffalo exchange to get rid of wearable stuff that isnt worth selling on ebay in the past few months. they sell it in their vintage store giving me cash for it. conveniently, a good will charity store is right next door to it, so i've been giving them what buffalo exchange doesnt want.

i'd say about half my wardrobe stuff is office wear (ie, banana republic, j crew, barbour, french connection or contemporary designers (ie twenty8twelve) that are suitable to wear to work)
another 25% is designer runway items like behnaz sarafpour, zac posen, alexander wang, miu miu etc and the rest is t shirts, jeans and sweaters that i wear on the weekends when either its freezing or hot.

i have about fifty garments stored underneath my bed that i think are suitable to sell on ebay right now. i have just bought a dress form so i can showcase the garments better for ebay. the dress form should arrive next week. that should be a motivation to get rid of stuff. i hope so. its a bit daunting to think about it really. all that effort!! and what if there's little payoff?

there have been a few periods of my life when i was in my 20's where i moved to another foreign ciies with just two suicases of garments and didnt do much shopping and just wore what i had because the stores around me kinda sucked. however in those days i dressed more utlitarian. (also ten years ago in those days i feel that there was less focus on fashion) that was a liberating feeling not worrying too much about what i was wearing. hopefully i can replicate that in the future!

07-01-2012
front row

Justlikesushi and ATM1985, love your shoe pics! That's a really beautiful color for those Ferragamo pumps--also the heel height looks reasonable--I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of them.

Lucy92, in the last 6 months or so I've been regularly selling stuff on eBay--it's worth it! Somebody somewhere out there wants your stuff, no matter what it is. You'd be surprised!

07-01-2012
trendsetter

Last year I won an e-stylebootcamp, and it has made me realize that I have a lot of thing that is not really me or doesn't feel totally right, so I'm planning on a rather huge clean out (or, huge for me at least, about 10+ items). Doing it should also give me some funds to buy things I love and can wear a LOT.

07-01-2012
backstage pass

ATM, those are great pumps! Look lovely! Are they comfortable? I'm still looking for someone who designs beautiful and comfortable pumps...

07-01-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I'm very happy with my Jimmy Choo Glaciers ...

Ferragamo is a very well-made shoe, but the last isn't for everyone.

08-01-2012
backstage pass

Girls and guys, I need your help. Ever since it turned up on net-a-porter, I've been feeling strangely attracted to this denim jacket... in neon orange, for heaven's sake!

When my husband heard that I was thinking about buying a neon orange denim jacket he screamed "Lord, no!!" at first. When he saw the pics he actually liked it and thought it could fit me. And I still like it.

Yet I'm not sure whether I'm going totally mad?? I usually don't post the things I want on here but I need some advice now. I need a casual jacket for playgrounds and walks this spring/summer and think this could be fun. I'd pair it mostly with dark blue jeans and navy / grey tees. Should I go for it or should I try to be reasonable? I know neon colors are NOT on my color scheme. Plus I might get tired of it. But I think I own enough neutrals to combine and it would make my neutrals more fun. So please help me :p

pic by net-a-porter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 182988_ou_l.jpg (15.3 KB, 4 views)

08-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Girls and guys, I need your help. Ever since it turned up on net-a-porter, I've been feeling strangely attracted to this denim jacket... in neon orange, for heaven's sake!

When my husband heard that I was thinking about buying a neon orange denim jacket he screamed "Lord, no!!" at first. When he saw the pics he actually liked it and thought it could fit me. And I still like it.

Yet I'm not sure whether I'm going totally mad?? I usually don't post the things I want on here but I need some advice now. I need a casual jacket for playgrounds and walks this spring/summer and think this could be fun. I'd pair it mostly with dark blue jeans and navy / grey tees. Should I go for it or should I try to be reasonable? I know neon colors are NOT on my color scheme. Plus I might get tired of it. But I think I own enough neutrals to combine and it would make my neutrals more fun. So please help me :p

pic by net-a-porter
I'm thinking "don't". ATM I'm trying a new tactic called "I'd rather regret NOT buying something than I wont to regret actually buying it". I've discovered that most of the mistakes I make while shopping are things that I find pretty but isn't REALLY my style or fit into my wardrobe/colourscheme. So I would say; try to find something else. That's what works for me at least.

08-01-2012
V.I.P.

RedandNavy, i think you should get a tangerine colored nail polish instead. or how about brighly colored shorts for the next summer instead?

08-01-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

RedandNavy, I really like it. But I think I like the idea of it more than the actual thing. I like the idea of bright shorts instead , or what about a belt of a scarf?

Winter is still here, and spring will probably not arrive before april or may. But I'm starting to think about the transition period. And summer in general too.
Most items are things I've wanted for quite some time but haven't found yet.

*nude loafers (bought some from Surface to air that haven't arrived yet)
*oversized knee length shorts (bought some navy wool ones from COS)
*something in lilac, either a shirt or blouse of some sort, or a pencil skirt (if so, I might just make it myself)
*shirt with polka dots, preferably small ones
*nice everyday cream blouse with some draping
*printed blazer
*grey cable knit sweater

*In general I just really need some blouses/shirts for everyday use that are a little more polished than t-shirts. So I will be on the lookout for those.

Last edited by Tinetush; 08-01-2012 at 09:40 AM.

08-01-2012
backstage pass

Thank you! I was out for a walk and the fresh air (and rain...) made me see the world in a better light again. Neon orange and blue fascinates me - BUT I don't think it's me. It's one case were fashion makes me love something but somehow it just isn't really me. I've tried hard to be more focused during the past few months, so it would be a shame to lose this focus so quickly. I think I will focus on stuff that has really proven to be good for me instead. So, nope to the neon orange denim jacket It was a nice thought so :p

08-01-2012
Power to the 99%

Hmm ... it looks fine to me I have a bright coral denim jacket that I like. Since it is a bright (though from the picture I would not call it neon, looks like more of a soft peachy orange), my only question is whether it will blend with all your casual clothes you're likely to want to wear it with. If so, I don't see why not, if you think you'll find it cheerful on an ongoing basis. I'd think you would ... if the picture's accurate, it's not an obnoxious orange. Another option would be orange gloves. Remember that Hermes has done quite well with orange for many years

08-01-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
ATM, those are great pumps! Look lovely! Are they comfortable? I'm still looking for someone who designs beautiful and comfortable pumps...
Not sure yet - still waiting for them to arrive. I'm hoping they will be okay. I've heard that Ferragamo shoes tend to run narrow, but I have a narrow heel so that may be okay. The heel height is 2.5 inches, if I recall correctly. If you're looking for something similar, I found some very affordable, similar shoes from Coach (I think on Bloomingdale's website) back in the Fall. 2.5 heel with leather upper and leather sole. Classic cut with a slightly rounded toe. No logo. They've worn like iron, gotten smooth as butter, and look great. I have had to resole them once already, but I'm hard on my shoes and walk a lot outdoors.

From what I've found, well-constructed leather pumps with low to moderate heels can be very comfortable, especially if worn all day.

Last edited by ATM1985; 08-01-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: extra thought

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe