How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-12-2012
backstage pass

Lots of things to write / react to but I fear I won't be able to write all I initially wanted to

Metallic shoes: Thanks for the nice comments! It's actually the first pair of golden shoes I ever bought but I felt sooo attracted to golden shoes this winter. I wore them to an important presentation with a very simple pair of black work pants and a simple black light weight cashmere turtle neck. Personally, I think that look rocked. It would have been a boring look without the special shoes, but they made it look cool and unique. So you think they will look worn quickly? As I've mentioned they are my first pair of metallic shoes (only had metallic sandals before) so I have no idea. They look like excellent quality so I have high hopes for them to survive a few seasons.

Things lasting for the next 10 years: I think that was me who wrote that Well, I happened to buy some really sexy/cute/girly stuff when I was 29/30 years old. And I remember at 31 I looked at them again, feeling like they would only look good on a teenage girl. So I try to think more before I buy something very of the moment these days. Is it classy enough to look good in a few years? Is it a quality that will survive a good number of wears? I don't want to buy stuff that is only for the woman 10 years older than my actual age but I don't buy anything that might look ridiculous in a few years. This doesn't mean you can only buy black turtlenecks - I think there is plenty of fun stuff that can be ageless and it depends a lot on ones personal style, too.

Salomelovesjohn: I think it's actually clever if you invest a lot in shoes/bags. I have been investing in one gorgeous top after another for years and somehow it just never worked because I didn't have great shoes/accessories to go with it. Personally I think buying good shoes and bags is one of the greatest things you can do. It's much easier to look good in a cheap shirt with great shirts than the other way round. I tend to buy two pairs of shoes per season nowadays, maybe 3 to 4 clothing items and 1 or 2 accessories.

Stocking up on tights: I definitely should do that very soon, too. I hardly have any good looking ones left. Must do during my Xmas holidays. But I did stuck up on underwear recently. My bras were mostly a bit too big since I used to look more "curvy" before and I definitely needed better fitting bras. That's done now and it sooo important...

Shopping on ebay
: I actually have no experience with it at all. I buy most of my things online nowadays but at one of the big online stores. Sometimes I buy at the outnet but not too often. I have made quite good experiences with buying things online lately but I realize that I have to do a lot of thinking BEFORE I order something. I hate sending something back and I have kept some not really perfect things in the past because I didn't want to send them back.... So I really should be very thoughtful before ordering and I tend to look at the exact measurements very closely now.

My fur vest: Someone asked me how I style my rabbit fur vest. I have been wearing it a LOT recently. I have been wearing it with a very thin black or brown turtle neck under it and with a mustard or terra colored henley under it. I'm not really into wearing white shirts so no white shirt combo for me. I also hope to wear without anything under it when the temperatures get a little bit higher.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 13-12-2012 at 05:20 AM.

13-12-2012
backstage pass

I meant to write "a cheap shirt with great shoes" of course instead of "a cheap shirt with great shirts"... Sorry. I don't know why I always make so much mistakes when I post here. I guess I just get too excited when writing about things related to fashion.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 13-12-2012 at 06:10 AM.

13-12-2012
backstage pass

Adding something about the upcoming sales: The sales have started in some stores... I know this is a bit of a tricky time but personally, I love the sales. Maybe because I allow myself extra 2 to 3 items during the sales I have ordered a dress yesterday that I had on my wishlist for months now. Since I decided for the cheaper shipping option it'll take a while until it arrives though. I hope it'll arrive till Wednesday since I have a dinner then and I was hoping to wear it...

Personally, I love the sales for having great things at a reduced price. I know I've read you should only buy in the sales what you'd want to pay the full price for... But that's not really true for me. There are some items out there that I love but that just have a crazy price. Remember the McQueen dress I bought during the summer sales? I always loved it but its original price was just too high for me. Now with 70% off I could afford it. So I always make a list with a few fantastic items with crazy prices during the season, hoping that they will be reduced at the end of it - and I've always made good experiences with that.

Honestly, I think it will be three rather than two extra pieces this season. But that must be it then, too much sales shopping isn't a good thing.

Hoping to get a pair of shoes and a bag or clutch later during the sales, I have my eyes on a few.

13-12-2012
backstage pass

RedandNavy, I didn't mean to scare you re. the boots, I've just had bad luck with shoes like that getting scuff marks. But I love yours - they are very special. Just FYI to be careful, but I'm also hard on my shoes and walk alot in my city. Yes, I guess you're right, I am happy to have nice accessories/shoes/bags, so maybe that is why I feel such a need to focus on clothing right now. Especially bags can last years with proper care, so at this point I've very set in certain areas and only need a few fun or replacement pieces a year. I'm actually looking for a fur vest. I want something soft that doesn't add bulk. I haven't found the right one yet - can't wait until I do.

*edit - please see TFS guidelines regarding weight discussion*

Last edited by lucy92; 13-12-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: * please see TFS guidelines regarding weight discussion*

13-12-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I would love it if my things all lasted for 10 years!! Some have lasted many more, but items in heavy rotation may last only a few years. It's a concept definitely worth thinking about if you feel you might be transitioning to a more mature look anytime soon. This definitely crossed my mind in my late 30s, as 'cute' started to seem less and less appropriate ...
Exactly where I'm at - late 30s & trying to avoid "cute!" Although I like a little fun and wit!

13-12-2012
front row

i'm trying to invest more in classic items, shoes and bags, rather than things that will fall apart quickly.

just bought my first big leather bag and i love it

source: my own photo

and warm black leather boots- it's so cold here right now

source: my own photo

a warm camel wool coat, i always wanted to have one

source: laredoute.de

13-12-2012
V.I.P.

^ great items blackcoffee I love coming this thread to keep me inspired and on the right track i.e. not buying cheap poor quality or impulse items of clothing !

13-12-2012
trendsetter

Blackcoffee, where did you find those shoes? It's really hard to find a good looking and warm pair for winter and those are both.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

13-12-2012
front row

thank you

Jinadaze they are from Clarks they are the "Mortimer Liz" Boots
i took me forever to find warm boots that i liked!

13-12-2012
tfs star

Red and Navy, How gorgeous are those gold shoes???
Please send them my love; tell them I say hi and give them a big kiss and have fun together for me too!

I totally agree with everyone about soft gold and metallics being wonderful staples. I love my gold ballet flats too!

Blackcoffee, and your bag? Where is it from? I adore your choices too, very classic and chic! I've been looking for a bag similar to yours.

My thing for the 4-5 piece wardrobe is that I'm very fortunate to have all of my gaps filled now and am coasting along. But I've gotten bored, especially with the black down coat I've been forced to wear every day for the past month in these subzero temps, with at least three months to go. I think I need a new set of gloves and hats and scarves...wondering what style/colour...

Last edited by Melisande; 13-12-2012 at 03:40 PM.

13-12-2012
front row

it's from milan from a small shop that sold leather bags/shoes/suitcases/gloves, i just spent the weekend there.
really great shop, but i don't remember the name. i guess there are lots of shops like that in milan.
i saw it and fell in love, it even was on sale

13-12-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Jinadaze they are from Clarks they are the "Mortimer Liz" Boots
i took me forever to find warm boots that i liked!
Thank you! The price is very reasonable too.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

13-12-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Red and Navy, How gorgeous are those gold shoes???
Please send them my love; tell them I say hi and give them a big kiss and have fun together for me too!

I totally agree with everyone about soft gold and metallics being wonderful staples. I love my gold ballet flats too!

Blackcoffee, and your bag? Where is it from? I adore your choices too, very classic and chic! I've been looking for a bag similar to yours.

My thing for the 4-5 piece wardrobe is that I'm very fortunate to have all of my gaps filled now and am coasting along. But I've gotten bored, especially with the black down coat I've been forced to wear every day for the past month in these subzero temps, with at least three months to go. I think I need a new set of gloves and hats and scarves...wondering what style/colour...
I wouldn't mind some purple gloves in the least Emerald would be pretty too. Or polka dots ... I am finding that opera length knit gloves are easier to deal with than leather ...

I wonder if it's possible to find metallic gold shoe polish? I feel it should be Or perhaps you could apply some gold leaf

In fact metallic gold shoe polish does exist--Amazon has it. I also saw a recommendation to use nail polish ... I think I like the metallic shoe polish better.

13-12-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomelovesjohn View Post
Exactly where I'm at - late 30s & trying to avoid "cute!" Although I like a little fun and wit!
Agreed. I find that things like polka dots, animal prints, bright colors continue to work. I think my shoes that look like spats are witty, and those work well. (It's funny, so many compliments from men on those shoes--and one guy at work wanted to steal them Another said, Where do you find these things?? )

14-12-2012
front row

asos has some great coloured leather gloves in their sales! i think i saw emerald ones!

and mango has polka dot gloves, they are classic but the dots make them special

source: mangoshop.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe