How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-12-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post

Things lasting for the next 10 years: I think that was me who wrote that Well, I happened to buy some really sexy/cute/girly stuff when I was 29/30 years old. And I remember at 31 I looked at them again, feeling like they would only look good on a teenage girl. So I try to think more before I buy something very of the moment these days. Is it classy enough to look good in a few years? Is it a quality that will survive a good number of wears? I don't want to buy stuff that is only for the woman 10 years older than my actual age but I don't buy anything that might look ridiculous in a few years. This doesn't mean you can only buy black turtlenecks - I think there is plenty of fun stuff that can be ageless and it depends a lot on ones personal style, too.
I started collecting silk and vintage dresses and beautiful, well made coats when I was 13-14 and I still use them now. I am only 20 so they are not 10 years old yet, but I don't think they will go any more out of style in the next 3-4 years. So of course I have always felt perfectly justified in spending all my savings growing up on dresses If I were 30 today I would still have worn all of them. I just hope not everything will be about leather and PVC when I am 30. Then I'll be doomed

Apart from dresses, coats and leather handbags I do expect my clothes do get worn out/outdated within 10 years, though... Unless you have a MASSIVE wardrobe and only wear it 2-3 times a year:p

14-12-2012
trendsetter

Oooh, thanks for the suggestions! Purple sounds wonderful and the Mango polka-dots are very stylish too. I wouldn't get bored of those!

Blackcoffee, ahhhh Milano, but of course...Enjoy your bag!

I don't know maybe they've improved the technology, but I've tried gold metallic shoe polish before. Unfortunately it didn't work because once a metallic finish is scraped off, it's not just polish or dye...it involves a surface treatment of the leather that seems to be quite different from other colours. It's more like...varnish? So the polish did little good...hard to explain but I think you know what I mean...next time I would go with nail polish myself. Or, you can also look at it this way: I've also seen that sometimes when the metallic finish gets old it looks like patina and takes on a gorgeous aura of wabi-sabi

Re cuteness over 30...I think I'm guilty of becoming increasingly eccentric past thirty. I've always had that tendency but it's getting worse. I'm now wearing a hairpin with a huge old 3-dimentional birthday cake on it... I don't go for it trying to look cute though, but because it's fun and weird...in a cute way, hopefully.

14-12-2012
trendsetter

By the way my mother's friend (a very stylish woman in her 60's) was recently talking about the importance of "otonano kawaii"...adult cuteness. I love the idea. We can still be adorable at any age, just probably not with the same clothes. And it's not mutually exclusive with being elegant at all, in fact one only enhances the other.

14-12-2012
Rebaptising my badness

I think the thing about being thirty (and over) is that women start to worry less and less about the kind of impression they're making on people. I'm 31 now and, as much as I dress adequately for each occasion in my life, I'm rarely, if never, going to forsake my own style and comfort for the benefit of looking "appropriate" (according to other people's perceptions) and meeting the expectations of others. As of now, that includes wearing (nice, elegant looking) sneakers to work. I do that because I can but mostly because that's what I need to do right now (I've recently injured my right foot), and I know I'm doing it the right way.
Posted via Mobile Device

28-12-2012
scenester

I finished my items for winter! I am loving this restricting buying, as I often experience buyer's remorse (am a sucker for sales..)

I purchased a down parka for the winter. I purchased a MMM wool coat and Junya puffer jacket last winter but they ended up being to thin for Canadian winters.

This is from a brand called TNA, relatively inexpensive and very heavy duty. My last one lasted 4 years.

I picked the dark magenta-y wine colour.

fpishere.wordpress

I purchased new Prada boots too, the last one in stock I told myself I cannot wear UGGs anymore.

This style, but less "fluffy" shearling, and it is folded over.

Bluefly

I also picked up a cocoon-esque black check coat with black removable shearling collar, and a dark wine-maroon double breasted peplum jumper, both from Burberry Brit. I couldn't find any pics on Google but both pieces are beautiful OH, and a pair of mitts from TNA on my way to the cash register, but I don't think they should count as an item

The Burberry coat is actually in its dust bag. I will not be wearing it until next winter so I'm not sure as to whether to count it in this season's item or next year's winter item??

28-12-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Sometimes I start shopping for a future season quite early Sounds like in reality that's what you did.

31-12-2012
backstage pass

I have chosen my additional three sale items and they all arrived today. I'm very pleased with them. The bag especially is soooo lovely. I've been looking for a lovely investment bag for a long time now and always felt so attracted to Chloé bags but never could afford one. When this Madeleine duffle bag went on sale I just had to get my hands on it. Lovely leather and such a classic!!

The gloves are great fun and go well with my recently purchased fur vest, and the dress should have arrived for Xmas but unfortunatelly didn't. Anyway, I like it and will keep it for other winter festivities. The "jewels" on it are lovely and the color is fantastic for my color scheme.

All in all I think I did very well during sales but I wasn't really very focused during the season. While all pieces that I bought were fine, I feel that I did a better job last fall / winter when I practically bought one outfit piece by piece (yet with pieces that go with other things, too.)

Still, I have bought nearly everything I wanted to except a sweater, but I never really saw one that I loved and that I thought was reasonably priced. Well, I guess something will come along my way sooner or later. The golden boots are GREAT fun though, so happy with those! I've also been wearing my winter jackets a lot, of course.

Pics: Net-a-Porter and Stylebop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alaia_gloves.jpg (14.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg matthew_williamson_dress.jpg (33.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg chloeba.jpg (152.9 KB, 2 views)

31-12-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Very nice! I can't tell exactly what the gloves are made of, except I think not leather ... are they fabric? Looks like you could put a jacket or something over the dress and wear it for, say, business or something more casual ...

01-01-2013
backstage pass

Ta-ta: The gloves are stretch-velours. They are really more of a play thing but I consider them a detail that can make a great look. Didn't you buy a pair of black gloves this season? When do you wear them?

I confess I ordered my January item in the sale today, too. Shoes I will see whether they fit when they arrive and then I'll post them here (if I keep them).

And about the dress I think you are right, I could equally wear it for work or a family brunch or something. I think I'm going to wear it next week at my hubby's birthday and then whenever I feel like it. I love a special occassion to introduce a piece into my wardrobe.

02-01-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, I did ... I wear them whenever it's below 50 degrees F

Happy birthday to Mr Capricorn!

02-01-2013
backstage pass

Okay, I'm trying to make a first attempt for a Spring/Summer list now. It might slightly change when my January item is decided.

I'll try to continue with my one item per month and two to three additional items during sale strategy, which makes about eight items a season.

So here is my list:
  • A clutch for parties/going out/weddings etc. There are so many great clutches out there but this one should be versatile. I'm thinking metallic or nude.
  • A sandal with a slight wedge or heel, confortable enough to be worn a whole day... Again, I'm thinking metallic.
  • A long-sleeved silk blouse. Possibly with a simple print.
  • A dress. I'll totally try to continue with my one dress per season strategy to enhance my dress wardrobe.
  • Trousers for work......... Again on my list. Brown, grey, camel or possible navy. HAVE to get some trousers finally...
  • A versatile cardigan, maybe in a neutral color like camel. Cardigans are so practical, they are definitely one of the key pieces of my wardrobe.
  • Another practical shoe for rain. I'm thinking of something brown, a brogue or something with a slight heel (but closed since it should work in the rain)
  • A short sleeved or sleevless fun top. Or something else if I have forgotten something now

Last edited by RedandNavy; 02-01-2013 at 09:13 AM.

03-01-2013
backstage pass

Well, I did get my January item... And it's amazing. Those ballerinas must be the most beautiful shoe I ever had. Together with my Roger Vivier pumps perhaps. So delicate, so elegant and even comfortable... I'm completely in love. When they went on sale I was so surprised, I hadn't expected that since they had arrived in the store one or max two months ago. I simply couldn't say no.

I do feel a bit guilty though. I have bought five items in the last month. Technically I can call one my Dec item, one my Jan item and three my additional sale items... But it does feel much and I do feel a bit less under control than usually. Time to go back to a more "controlled" shopping strategy now. No more shopping for at least a month.

Pic: Mytheresa.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ferragamo.jpg (107.9 KB, 3 views)

03-01-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Very pretty

I saw some sandals I really liked pictured in a magazine, and they are flats, which I really need for spring. Called the brand's NYC store this week, and they haven't come in yet, and they don't know which colors they will come in. (Don't these people do a look book??) She said she'd call me, which I suspect means I will need to call her Forgot to check on their return policy--need to do that.

04-01-2013
backstage pass

Miu Miu shoes: General question to anyone who owns a pair of pumps by Miu Miu. Did u have them resoled before using them? I didn't have them resoled and now the light pink color is coming off at the front. What should I do?

04-01-2013
backstage pass

Actually the same question applies to any shoes with a (colored) leather soles. What do people do with their Loubotins? I mean, the sole doesn't stay red when you walk in them? Sorry if I'm being stupid, that's just a question I'm not having an answer for...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe