How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-01-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Ta-ta: I do not really need a break since I feel more ready than ever to really do this, but it is nice to see that I do not go crazy just because I can.

I tend to choose black, whites and greys for the winter season but somehow I have been longing for colour. If Benneton can provide me with a great coloured sweater as well I guess I'll buy it. A burgundy one would be nice. I have been wearing the black one so much that it really needs some company.

How goes with your finger? It sounds really painful but those cut Lanvin flats should be a comfort somewhat I guess
sorry, wasn't very clear ... i meant a break from clothes shopping altogether. there never seems to be a shortage of things that are needed ... lately have been getting a few things needed for the house during the 'off season.'

surgery is tomorrow after that i'll be on the road to recovery, & i'm sure it wil be a comfort to be well shod

22-01-2013
front row

good luck with your surgery, fashionista-ta!

22-01-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: I would like to add some midnight blue to my wardrobe but I was also thinking a bordeaux or a dark green sweater would be nice. I will have to see what Benneton can provide. I would pass on the cardigan you are mentioning. I have such bad experience with acrylic knitwear.

@Ta-ta: I hope your surgery goes well! You deserve them shoes!

23-01-2013
front row

I had been thinking the same thing, betinapple. I love the colour of that cardigan, but 50% acryl is just... no.
bordeaux or dark green both sound nice!

23-01-2013
backstage pass

Ta-ta: Good luck with your surgery! Both ballerina flats are so pretty!! At least there was one good side to that painful story...

Betinapple: Hello there! Actually I tend to wear only two sweaters these days, too. Temperatures are just too cold for anything else than a wool sweater. I'm getting bored though... But I don't really want to buy another thick sweater right now though. I know wheather will start to improve in February/March... I have thought about making a sweater my Feb item, but that would be a cotton version for spring/fall and not so cold winter days.

barbaraaa: actually I'm not sure you need to replace your wardrobe before you can start doing this. We often think we need way more than we do to look smart / casual / different than usual. You will do fine with two pairs of really good trousers to start with, maybe a white blouse and and a good pair of pumps or whatever suits your job. Try to pick the absolutely most urgent pieces for now and go on working from there. I think the most important thing that you try to set yourself goals and try to stick with them. Of course there might be a moment when you absolutely want something that you didn't plan. That's fine. But let these be exceptions and be "under control" most of the time.

Shoestring: That sounds great what you write about your wardrobe!! Congrats! I don't feel that I don't need anything right now, unfortunatelly, but I do feel that my wardrobe is moving into the right direction... It's more of a work in progress but maybe that's as good as it gets

twistelette: smaller items can be so important. I just got another nude bra. I realized how often I want to wear my one nude bra because it fits so well under everything - even if it's not particularly sexy. I had to get another because I was often sorry it was in the laundry. But it's those small things that make your wardrobe better...

Me: I've seen two baby pink dresses that looked so great!! But oh well, baby pink is nowhere near my color scheme. I guess I'll just have to pass these, thinking that I might get other things that look just as great AND actually fit better into my wardrobe..... Still find it so hard to stay focused sometimes.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 23-01-2013 at 04:45 AM.

23-01-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
barbaraaa: actually I'm not sure you need to replace your wardrobe before you can start doing this. We often think we need way more than we do to look smart / casual / different than usual. You will do fine with two pairs of really good trousers to start with, maybe a white blouse and and a good pair of pumps or whatever suits your job. Try to pick the absolutely most urgent pieces for now and go on working from there. I think the most important thing that you try to set yourself goals and try to stick with them. Of course there might be a moment when you absolutely want something that you didn't plan. That's fine. But let these be exceptions and be "under control" most of the time.
Thank you for replying Since July I have already bought two pairs of black trousers, a black blazer and a few blouses, and I've recently ordered a black skirt. I've been really careful not to buy anything more "casual", as I already own a lot of that, and I also bought things I actually needed. If I get the job I'm aiming at I will have to buy actual suits, however.
That being said, I'm not much of a shopper, except for during the sales: but for the past three seasons I have been more careful with what colours, styles, etc I do wear and suit me, rather than going "oooh pretty! cheap!". So I really think this could be a thing for me, just I might have to go beyond the 4/5 pieces/season limit

23-01-2013
front row

barbaraaa - starting out your working life after college seems like a perfect time to start implementing this strategy for building a considered wardrobe! it sounds like you've already got some pieces down. I'm with RedandNavy in thinking that you won't need a lot of pieces to be able to look good and appropriate in different situations, as long as the pieces that you own are good ones!
on going beyond the 4-5 piece per season limit, for me it's more about the spirit of this thread than about the actual number of pieces. it's more about building a considered wardobe/a wardrobe that works for the different 'roles' I have in my life, a wardrobe full of pieces that I love, that flatter me, that work well together... you get the drift. shopping is secondary to that, and in shopping it's more about making considered purchases than not buying more than 5 pieces per season per se. (though I would not feel comfortable buying, say, 25 pieces per season)

23-01-2013
backstage pass

Barbaraaa: I'm with twistelette, it's more the spirit of being careful with what you buy and have some limits - but you define what they are. Actually I buy around 4 pieces a season but I do count for seasons instead of the two main seasons I usually buy one item per month. As I've said I don't think it really matters whether it's four, five or eight items per season. It's more about chosing carefully, do some planning, try to find things that are versatile and good quality etc.

I've actually seen a dress that I love and that looks perfect for me But I'll try to give me some reflection time. Somehow I don't feel sure enough about my spring / summer shopping yet, I have to reconsider what I really want to get. I see tons of things that I want these days and I feel I need a bit more time to focus. I'm pretty sure about my color scheme now but the actual items that are highest on my priority list aren't really determined yet.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 23-01-2013 at 02:56 PM.

23-01-2013
front row

Hi all... first time visitor to this thread. Does anyone know the name of the French trainer brand that basically every Parisian girl has been wearing lately?? It's almost Converse-like, but not as clunky.. starts with an L but I can't get it off the tip of my tongue.. HELP!

23-01-2013
Power to the 99%

thanks, twistelette, betinapple, and r&n surgery did go well and no incision was necessary to relocate my thumb--yay! have 2 pins now--working on getting the pain under control. wore my new navy shoes for the occasion i never pay for overnight shipping, always do ground, but in this case they only offer a single option, fedex overnight, so they got here immediately. wow, kinda fun :p

barbaraa, not sure what you will be doing, but wearing suits all the time for women (men too) is pretty rare now & confined to a few fields like banking & accounting. i think it's a good idea to buy versatile pieces, but i usually recommend that when buying a wardrobe for a new environment like school or work, people wait & see what others are actually wearing. if you look back in the thread, we discussed this recently when melisande had a career shift. she found the new workplace a lot less formal than she expected.

i think this approach always works, you don't have to wait for anything to start it ... as others have mentioned, each of us tweaks the rules (such as they are) for ourselves.

r&n, would the baby pink work with the accessories you have now? does it appeal to you as a building block of an additional color scheme?

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 23-01-2013 at 09:41 PM.

23-01-2013
Power to the 99%

just wanted to add re suits ... i wear them only for important meetings & interviews, but mine aren't actually suits (though people think they are), but black separates--different brands bought years apart in complementary fabrics. So that is definitely possible ... i end up with the 'suit' i need on occasion, as well as useful pieces on their own.

something that would be a good candidate for investing in is a pair of serious black pumps appropriate for interviewing. i even got my last pair 40% off.

24-01-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: They do not have the same amount of detaling but Benneton make real good 100% wool things. I have been wearing my black Benneton sweater at least 3 times a week since I purchased it in October, and it still looks great. The pilling is minimal - I have only needed to use my lint shaver once. I think they also make cardigans.

@RedAndNavy: I was contemplating just waiting it out since spring is juuuust around the corner, but I am sick and tired of wearing the same black sweater every single day So I'll buy at least a white one and maybe a bordeaux (if available). Fortunately my favourite sweater (from Benneton) costs next to nothing (around 50$)

Don't you have a lot of neutrals (like beige and navy) in your wardrobe? I think they would go well with baby blue. I understand your concern though and I am sure you are way ahead of me in this manner - it is your wardrobe, right ?

@Ta-ta: glad to hear surgery went well. Does it change the recovery time?

24-01-2013
backstage pass

Betinapple: I can understand you are getting bored with always wearing the same sweater. As I've said I know the feeling very well... :p Can't wait for spring! I remember I wore lots of Benetton sweaters during university but somehow I was getting tired of them. It is true though, they seemed to be good quality. I might have to reconsider next winter.

Baby pink: While I really love the look of that baby pink dress I think I won't get it for now. I'm sure I could pair it with black pumps and a neutral bag. The good thing about dresses is that they stand on their own and don't need lots of matching items. But... I dream of a closet full with things that look just right with eachother. My goal is to one day open my closet and get the feeling that it all makes sense. And baby pink just doesn't really make sense with the rest of my things. No. I think I would feel vexed every time when I opened my closet to see that one baby pink dress that ruins the whole picture... Sorry for the nice dress though!

But the good thing is that I've seen another lovely lovely dress It's more of a mustard/cognac kind of color. I will give me some more thinking time for now but I have a feeling that one might end up in my closet. On verra.

24-01-2013
Power to the 99%

betinapple, not sure ... he only ever told me recovery for plan a but i know i can't end up with a scar from an incision that was never made.

one thing i like to do is make a mental note of 'shortage' items (like wool sweaters in this case) & start collecting them in future seasons if i feel like my shopping for the current season should be complete based on what i've already bought. sometimes i'll also 'borrow' an item or two from the next season and buy things right away. it all balances out in the end ...

so next year you could buy another warm wool sweater, and so on each year till you're happy with the selection.

i have a heavy hand-knit cotton sweater that i wear on cold days ... someone complimented it & asked if it was new. that's when i realized it was 15+ years old it's teal with an intarsia southwestern pattern--i enjoy the color.

25-01-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
barbaraa, not sure what you will be doing, but wearing suits all the time for women (men too) is pretty rare now & confined to a few fields like banking & accounting. i think it's a good idea to buy versatile pieces, but i usually recommend that when buying a wardrobe for a new environment like school or work, people wait & see what others are actually wearing. if you look back in the thread, we discussed this recently when melisande had a career shift. she found the new workplace a lot less formal than she expected.

i think this approach always works, you don't have to wait for anything to start it ... as others have mentioned, each of us tweaks the rules (such as they are) for ourselves.
First of all, glad your surgery went well and you won't be left with a scar!

I'm trying to get into the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, here in Portugal. Being the government, it's still very conservative. It is a long shot, however, so I am doing the black separate thing right now - as that will do me for most any job. In the past seven months I got a blazer, two trousers and a skirt, so I guess I'm pretty much done with that for now!

I guess I might indeed start with this now. I really like the rationale behind this, of investing in good pieces and actually thinking about what items one buys. I have a couple of things in my wardrobe that I really like and want to wear - but practically never do because nothing I own goes with it! And whenever I go shopping, I never remember buying something that will look good with it. I don't make clever choices. Now I feel like I need to go over what I own, get rid of some, and make a note of what I need so that all that I keep is wearable and always go from there

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe