How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-02-2013
front row

My vote goes for the shirt, but I own four shirts like that so...
All of mine are different brands, and all of them are polyester chiffon, while some are decidedly much better quality than others. But to answer your question - there is silk chiffon, and I believe cotton chiffon too.

06-02-2013
Power to the 99%

i would hold out for silk on the blouse myself, but it does look well-made, as i would expect from NAP. for me, i find polyester hot, plus it's usually a petroleum byproduct. (i think h&m offers at least some recycled polyester? and patagonia has fleece made from recycled plastic bottles.)

with metallic shoes, bear in mind that they do scuff ... but i love how they go with everything!

06-02-2013
trendsetter

I would go with the shoes, I own plenty of Asos branded ones and find the quality really good. I like the shirt as well, but I think it's not worth the money.
It probably is better made than H&M's one, but you can find something similar made of better material.
Even Zara has a lot of silk/viscose mix shirts in the current collection for 40-50 €, take a look at their store.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 06-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.

07-02-2013
backstage pass

Juliette: Personally I LOVE the shoes. But I love brogues and metallic shoes. I'd totally go for it! I own a pair of golden boots and wear them a lot these days. They are a sure way of having fun From my experience white blouses need replacement after a year or two because of sweat stains etc and aren't really worth a splurge.

Betinapple: Lovely dress! Dresses are always great pieces!

Me: Bought a dress as my Feb item, too. I just had to get this after some thinking. And I'm loving it! The dress has an open back. I tried it with two of my cardigans and they work well in case I want to make it office-ready.

Pic: Net-a-porter.com, dress by Thakoon Addition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thakoon_addition.jpg (166.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by RedandNavy; 07-02-2013 at 03:27 AM.

07-02-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: thx! I really understand how you feel right now. Whenever I have shopped a lot (which buying three sweaters almost at once also would be in my case) I feel like taking a break from spending money so that is usually what I do. I think it is fine - when you find what you really want and need you should buy it and personally I know that afterwards I will take a break so it "evens out".

@Eizhowa: thx! I've already worn it with ancle boots, cateyeglasses and a black cashmere cardigan but I am really looking forward to wearing it for spring. The Benneton sweaters are not super soft but I do not find them itchy (one of my friends did however). I love them because they fit me well, are warm and super classic. Also they do not have a lot af pilling.

@Barbaraa: that's great! How fun! I did not know that I had any non-danish followers.

@Juliette: You are perfectly right. The dress is from H&M Trend, maybe that is why you haven't seen it?

I would personally pass on both items and wait untill something better came along. It seems like both things has details that you do not care for. Blouses like that could be made in silk or viscose as well. I tend to stay away from polyester since it makes me hot in a not very sexy manner Silk is great but in my opinion very fragile and difficult to clean so I prefer viscose.

@RedAndNavy: right back at ya!

Me: Even though I am in no ways in a rush to buy my next piece I am contemplating what to buy. I am trying to stay within a 90$ budget for my monthly shopping. If I want something more expensive I'll have to save my money. The only thing I could use for my summer wardrobe is a pair of heeled browned sandals. Maybe that would be a good place to start.

07-02-2013
V.I.P.

Juliette, you need to credit each image you post at TFS. it is part of our Community Rules. if you don't your posts will be deleted.

Betinapple, i like viscose too. a lot of my topshop items are viscose and hold up well.

07-02-2013
front row

Oh, I'm so sorry! I wrote the post in a hurry so I completely forgot. The first pic is from asos.com, and the second one from theoutnet.com

07-02-2013
front row

red and navy: great dress!

juliette: I'm with betinapple, it seems like both pieces have something about it you don't really like or are unsure of.

betinapple: sounds like a game plan, to stick to your budget for your piece each month, and to save up if what you want is more expensive.
I do feel like taking a break - though that does not in any way mean that I am not happy with the items I got lately, or the amount of money I spent (I spent just about what I had in mind, perhaps less), or anything. but I literally doubled my sweater collection in the space of a few weeks, and I don't feel like adding any more *stuff* for a little while. I'm not going to buy anything else until the end of March (saying it here will make me accountable, I guess ), and I'm also not going to do any browsing, online or offline. that feels like a much bigger experiment to me, I'm not a big shopper but I'm a big browser. it can be very relaxing, but it can also make me feel like what I have and what I wear isn't good enough (because, look at all the other and possibly better options that are out there!). I'm just curious to find out what it will be like to take a complete break for a month or two!

07-02-2013
front row

I think I'm not going to buy anything for a while either, most likely nothing this month. I've been a bit busy and I want to clean my closet in order to assess my actual needs and wants

07-02-2013
front row

Betinapple & twistelette, I think I'm going to go with your advice. Neither of the pieces are perfect and I really want to LOVE everything in my wardrobe. I'll wait for a while, surely there will be similar things around soon. Thank you for the nice words!

07-02-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette I am curious as how it will go since I would like to add three (!) pairs of shoes to my collection within the year or so. I would like the heeled sandals but my black suede pumps do not look very good any more and therefore need replacing. Also I've been noticing that a pair of nude patent pumps would be good since I could need a non-black closed shoe for my bright winter outfits.

I think the best plan would be to get the black pumps first if possible since I have a pair of flat brown sandals and light grey heeled sandals and therefore can manage without a brown pair even though it would be nice. Then I'll buy the sandals and for next winter the nude pumps. Or maybe I will just wait and let "faith" decide. I am very picky and therefore often end up buying thinks in the order I find the exact right item.

How would you prioritize in this manner? I could use some input. (from others as well )

I think the thought of avoiding browsing is very interesting. I do not browse a lot when I am not planning on spending money since I do not think there is any reason to tempt myself.

07-02-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Betinapple & twistelette, I think I'm going to go with your advice. Neither of the pieces are perfect and I really want to LOVE everything in my wardrobe. I'll wait for a while, surely there will be similar things around soon. Thank you for the nice words!
It seems to be working for me at least I have been getting really picky so whenever I buy something I usually love it deeply and that is a great feeling.

07-02-2013
front row

betinapple: more and more I see the value of a good shoe for an outfit, so investing in three pairs in a year doesn't seem all that outrageous to me. are the black suede pumps anything a good cobbler might work with to give them a new lease on life? the route you described sounds good, to focus on one pair at a time in the order you described, and to also keep an open mind should you bump into the perfect nude pump in, say, april.

eizhowa: busty + french = brigitte bardot, non? I get what you mean though, I was hesitant about horizontal stripe for a long time... but I've found that the cut and the material of a breton top are what matters most - if the material is too stiff, you''ll lose your waist, and if the material is too flimsy the top will just look cheap. you'll know the right top when you see it! filippa k has a pretty great one in their collection this spring.

julliette: yes, be picky! you know the items that you want, don't settle for less than love.

07-02-2013
fashion insider

twistelette I think it was just the neckline that made me appear bustier than I would like... (and I frankly do not think Bardot was that busty ) I will look into filippa K. Thanks

Last edited by eizhowa; 07-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.

07-02-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: It is not that three pairs of shoes for a year is a lot. Last year I got five pairs. But good shoes cost a lot of money and therefore three pairs is a lot in comparism to my budget so I am not sure if I can afford all three pairs. At least not if I am going to buy other things as well.

The shoes itself there is nothing wrong with but the suede is starting to look worn. I'll go for plain leather next time.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe