How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-02-2013
trendsetter

I raided my local thriftstore today.

During the weekend I saw a bag in their windowdisplay so this morning I stood outside their door when they opened. Ended up with four items for the price of 25 dollars. I got the bag (a black quilted bag with a gold chain), a black/white houndstooth l/s shirt in viscose, a pleated burgundy midi skirt and a pair of perfect fitting jeans. I am real picky about jeans but these are so soft and stretchy and fits like they were made for me. Really happy about my purchases since they are all something I have been looking for.

Does not go very well with my 1 item pr. month strategy but at the same time I'm still within my break and apart from these four things I only purchased one item a month. Iøve really missed thrift shopping.

18-02-2013
front row

Betinapple, I wouldn't care about buying four pieces like that since they were things you really wanted (and especially as the jeans were perfect!) and they were so cheap and I agree about peter pan collars, I'm almost 23 and they just seem weird and child-like to me!

Juliette: I agree that, if you have no other expenses, 250€/month is quite a lot. I understand it might not be easy to save money when the saving hasn't been "instilled" in you as you were growing up, but there's really nothing better than having a little extra money to be comfortable buying or doing something special you might have not been able to otherwise

18-02-2013
front row

fashionista-ta What would I do without you? You really put things into perspective for me. You posted some really good questions to which I need to find answers. I do need a new bag and some work things, and I don't have anything S/S appropriate apart from one dress. My style has really changed as well, I don't feel like wearing the shorts I used to love only a year ago, the skirts I loved are now way too short, etc. etc. As far as a collage goes, I have a great one saved on my computer and it helps tremendously! I do really need to think about investment pieces. I'm thinking about a pair of earrings from Kenneth Jay Lane, do you have any experience with the brand?

Betinapple I'm 21 too and I love Peter Pan collars! I think you can make them work, but not if you don't feel comfortable wearing them, of course. But my problem is that I dress too childishly, anyway.
All those purchases you made at the thrift shop sound great, and such bargains! I've tried thrift shopping too, but here in Slovenia it's a real tragedy, they have a very poor selection and everything is very expensive...

barbaraaa You are very right I will try to put some money aside each month to put towards a bigger purchase

My mom was kind enough to offer to take me shopping tomorrow (I her). I'll be on the lookout for that Zara striped sweater and the tee I already got in black. We're going to Zara, Topshop and Dorothy Perkins. Not the highest quality, but I do think there's some nice finds in there, I hope I get lucky.

18-02-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: I aggree! It would have been different if it had been things that I did not need or if they had taken money from other things that I need more. But they didn't and I want to wear them all right now!

@Juliette:
I think that a great bag is a musthave piece. I would save all the money I possibly could spare for that purpose and buy my dream bag - the bag that goes with everything else in your wardrobe both work clothes and your "private" clothes.

Danish thriftstores can be expensive too but mostly in the big cities like Copenhagen. I live in a smaller town half an hour from CPH and the prices of the second hand stores are insanely cheap. In my hometown in another part of the country I often find designer labels for the same low prices.

Regarding Peter Pan collars: I think Peter Pan collars can work - I have a white Peter Pan collared shirt. But the dress simply did not work for me any more. I think it was the combination of the collar, the cut (babydoll) and the lengt which was quite short. It felt wrong.

18-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post

burberry was 'just' a heritage company when i bought mine ... it's so classic ... i guess now that it's been part of my whole adult life, it's me

i don't think i look busty in mine ...

i think the burden may be on your partner to come up with the perfect coat, since you're willing to give up one i assume you like
he he, excellent notion

the cost per wear of your burberry coat is hard to beat! but when a coat is with you that long, I guess its value becomes about something else, it must be incredible to have a coat that has been with you all your adult life.
I don't mind spending money to get a piece that I will be able to wear for years, but 650 is just too much money right now. and that's ok. all your advice & thoughts help me to finetune what I am looking for, I really do have a much better idea of what I want and why - and, perhaps more importantly, I know what I don't want and why.

in other news, I culled my shoe-wardrobe, found five pairs that are up for donation. I now have 13 pairs of shoes/boots/flipflops/I counted everything.

betinapple: yay for thriftstores!!

18-02-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: Excactly! I can not wait to wear my new stuff.

Do any of you have any experience with Zara's shoes? I have found a pair of pumps which might be something

Last edited by Betinapple; 18-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.

18-02-2013
front row

I do! I have both flats and heels and, while I find them comfortable, their sizing is often off.

18-02-2013
Power to the 99%

betinapple, yes, i often have a black top layered underneath. also wear longer skirts, so there's no big expanse of black. if you look at old paintings, you'll see all-white morning clothes worn with all black hosiery & shoes. congrats on your finds!

agree that a great leather bag is a perfect investment piece.

juliette, i usually don't wear costume, but kjl has a good reputation. the duchess of windsor was a fan. you might also think about a watch if you wear them or a piece of fine jewelry. i still have the first good watch i ever bought, right after i graduated from college.

i think it's possible to find good pieces at fast fashion stores, but you really need to be extra-selective. it may be a good time to simply browse, look at higher quality merchandise, and begin to understand what separates a great piece from an ok piece. some of it is trial and error. when it comes to shopping, you really make your own luck. you have a very nice budget right now that really opens up possibilities beyond fast fashion.

you can also plan different types of shopping when you go on vacation. consignment/thrift is really an advanced task, so that may not be your best option right now, but maybe later on.

18-02-2013
Power to the 99%

had an idea for a new thread ... tell me what you think.

we would set a dollar amount (and equivalent in other currencies people use). if you want to participate, you say so ... and then you post pix of your purchases as you spend the money (or descriptions for very minor purchases like socks)--no cherrypicking, it would be the next $500 or whatever. when everyone is done, we vote on who spent their money best. if the next purchase is major, we would just have to consider 2/3rds of this bag, or whatever. i was thinking we could also have a historical entry (but you'd need to know exactly how much you spent & not guess).

anyone interested? i think it could be a lot of fun ...

19-02-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: That sounds great. However, I just found out that the pair I was looking at are with a polyrethane/polyester lining. Maybe that's a good thing since I decided that I did not need pumps and now I am just confused.

@Ta-ta: I am still not convinced. I will have to try it out Sounds like a great thread. I will also need to find the combination thread since I am addicted to talking to you guys these days

19-02-2013
front row

fashionista-ta Ah, sorry! See, I don't even know what fine jewelry means. I really need to get an education in these things. Thank you for helping me. I'm actually looking for a nice silver watch at the moment, do you think a Michael Kors one would be okay? I like them the most, and I already have my eye on one.

I know what you mean! I've been checking the materials on every piece of clothing and it has really helped and given me a better understanding of materials and quality. Now I just need to start saving, which is the hardest part of all. Even now that I'm writing this, I just want to buy, buy, buy. I think I have a problem.

About traveling and shopping, I'm really not one for taking trips... I traveled all over the world (Asia, Europa, North Africa) with my parents, and I'm not really a fan now, though I love London and hope to visit it again soon.

The new thread you mentioned sounds GREAT, you should open it! I know I would definitely take part, and I think a lot of us could learn how to spend money wisely from it. Really good idea

19-02-2013
front row

So, I'm back from my shopping trip! I did end up getting the Zara striped sweater, it's lovely in person altough quite thin, but I personally like that for spring, it won't be too warm as I tend to get too hot quickly. The materials are lovely! I wanted to get the T-shirt I got about a week ago in light grey and white too, but they were sold out. I'm checking out another Zara store for them as soon as I get my paycheck (I don't know what's taking so long, I should've gotten paid on Friday ) I also got some tracksuit pants which I desperately needed, before that I just walked around the apartment in lingerie or PJs And two T-shirts to go with them, but I don't consider either of these as my buys for the season, because they're more lounge clothes, and I ended up paying around 40€ for the whole lot, bargain! Wearing them now as I'm writing this and they're so comfortable. I also got some new tights, which I desperately needed, too.

So my 'real' buy was only the striped sweater, which cost 39.95€ My mom tried to convince me to buy other things, but I was really good and didn't choose anything from H&M and other 'quick fix' stores like that. I'm so happy and proud of myself, this may seem pathetic, but is quite an achievement for me.

I also put together my list for accessories for the whole year, which I'll post in this thread's cousin (?) thread, the shopping list one. I would love to hear your opinions on it.

Now I'm off to await your responses (so addicted to this thread, lovely people in here ) and fashionista-ta's new shopping challenge thread!

19-02-2013
backstage pass

Congratulations, Juliette, on buying that striped sweater and on not buying anything else, too! Well done! I hope it proves to be a great purchase. But striped sweaters nearly always are, they are such classics. What material is it (or did you write that before?)

Me: Maybe I should be ashamed of myself because even if I had already bought my Feb item I unexpectedly went shopping today. But I am not. :p I had two meetings in different towns today and I had an hour left before my train went off, so I decided to do something that I ALWAYS try to avoid... I decided to go and search a pair of work paints. I have been wearing mostly dark jeans and dresses during the last nearly two years when I went to work... We are totally allowed to wear jeans but I still wanted to have something more formal again for presentations and meetings. Sometimes a dress just didn't feel right for that.

So I went and found a pair in navy blue! Great because they have a straight leg and are still quite slim cut - which is just what I need. Most of the current pants just don't work for me so I'm all the happier for finding them. They are from Hugo, that's the bridge line from Hugo Boss and they were quite reasonably priced. It's a fine wool blend. So this was not planned ... But I have been waiting soooo long with this since I just hate buying pants that I feel really good now! Finally did what I had to do

I think this is the model that I bought - can't really check because they are at the tailor's right now. Nothing fancy, I know, but boy does it feel right.

Pic: hugo boss online store
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugo_pants.jpg (9.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by RedandNavy; 19-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.

19-02-2013
front row

^Thank you so much! The material is 50% Mulberry silk and 50% cotton, as opposed to my usual buys which were all from polyester!

Congrats on getting a pair of work pants, I know how hard it is to look stylish at work and still seem professional. And definitely don't feel bad about it, work clothes are a neccessity! Those pants look great, and I love the navy blue. What are you planning on wearing them with?

19-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
fashionista-ta Ah, sorry! See, I don't even know what fine jewelry means. I really need to get an education in these things. Thank you for helping me. I'm actually looking for a nice silver watch at the moment, do you think a Michael Kors one would be okay? I like them the most, and I already have my eye on one.

I know what you mean! I've been checking the materials on every piece of clothing and it has really helped and given me a better understanding of materials and quality. Now I just need to start saving, which is the hardest part of all. Even now that I'm writing this, I just want to buy, buy, buy. I think I have a problem.

About traveling and shopping, I'm really not one for taking trips... I traveled all over the world (Asia, Europa, North Africa) with my parents, and I'm not really a fan now, though I love London and hope to visit it again soon.

The new thread you mentioned sounds GREAT, you should open it! I know I would definitely take part, and I think a lot of us could learn how to spend money wisely from it. Really good idea
well, i'm not sure what the official definition is, but i just mean jewelry that uses precious metals like gold, platinum, etc.

i definitely believe in giving yourself treats, like some good chocolate, a nice meal, some pretty pens, coffee ... like what you did today, buying one sweater that was a considered purchase you can get just as much enjoyment from one thing

i believe london is a pretty good shopping city, and we also have city shopping threads here.

glad you guys like the thread idea ... what do you think about the amount? is $500 right, or should it be a bit more, like $750?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe