How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-02-2013
backstage pass

Wow, so much discussion on here recently!! Cool!

The only problem is that I can't read through everything I've missed

Bought a leather jacket, Betinapple? Cool... I have been thinking about making this one of my must-have items since I don't own any, but I decided to wait for another season. Too many items on my list already... Was there a pic that I missed? Btw, I've just been reading a guide book to Denmark, hopefully we'll go there again next year

Pinterest: I personally think it can really help to stay focused. I sometimes put a great item on my pinterest board and then I see it just doesn't fit in... So I throw it off my lists. I regularly work on my board and see what I still like and what was maybe more of a momentary passion.

Me: When I recently bought my work pants I tried on a gorgeous, gorgeous turquoise/teal short sleeved silk blouse. I decided not to buy it at that moment because of my shopping strategy but it doesn't leave my mind. Should I buy it in March (if it's still there)? Or should I first buy the denim jacket? Or... should I buy a sweater first? I'll probably need a sweater for spring and fall days, not too thick, and I've seen several lovely ones. Not sure where I should put my focus.

23-02-2013
fashion elite

Redandnavy I would probably buy the teal blouse, but try it on first. I have had times where I kept thinking about an item only to go back and it was nothing near as good as I thought.
Although I put off buying a denim jacket for ages and when I finally bought one I wore it with everything for years. It was probably one of my best purchases

23-02-2013
Power to the 99%

r&n, you've already found some good things, so I would focus there. i'm sure you have something to keep you from freezing really do like the denim jacket. maybe you can double up now & pick some slow months when you won't shop--or will buy small items like lingerie, hosiery, loungewear, etc.

23-02-2013
trendsetter

@RedAndNavy: I aggree! So nice with all the activity. I haven't posted a picture of the jacket yet. Will do so when it arrive. Hopefully tuesday. I am already getting impatient.

Do you have enough blouses? Do you have any sweaters you can use untill you buy the one you are talking about? I really think you should buy a denim jacket since you can wear it with everything - you will not do that with a blouse. So I would either double or buy the jacket as your March item and buy the blouse for April if I still wanted it. It sounds really nice though.

Regarding pinterest: I will have to look into it! Sounds like a really great tool.

23-02-2013
trendsetter

Just thought I would share the list of my ideal basic wardrobe, that I made yesterday. It really helped me focus. Do any of you have similar lists? If so, please share, I would be really interesting. Highlighted items is what I've already got. Some may need replacing.

Skirts:
- Pleated Midiskirt
- Black pencilskirt
- Black fullskirt
(the colour has faded and they therefore need to be freshened up with some textile colour)

Pants:
- Grey jeans.
- Black jeans
(the colour has faded and they therefore need to be freshened up with some textile colour)

Basic tops:
- Striped blouse.
- Black top
- White top
- Nude tanktop (long enough to wear as a slip)
- Black longsleeved blouse (long enough to wear as a dress as well

Blouses:

- Statement blouses
- Classic white shirt blouse.
- Black ladylike blouse

Dresses:
- Black bodycon dress.
- Black full skirted dress
- White summer dress

Knitwear:
- Black sweater
- Black cardigan
- Grey cardigan

- White sweater
- Breton sweater
- Long, grey cardigan

Jackets and blazers:

- Black blazer
- Bouclé jacket

- Black leather jacket

Outerwear:

- Practical wintercoat
- Black cape
- Trenchcoat

- White wintercoat

Shoes:
- Black ballet flats
- Black ancle boots
- Flat, brown sansals.
- Black pumps. Will need replacing if I come to the conclusion that I need them.
- Sneakers.

- Black high boots (riding boots look)

Bags:

- Black bag for everyday use.
- Black clutch

Making this list made me realize that I am really close to my "goal" and that I really need to focus on my winter wardrobe. Especially knitwear. I am thinking of making a pinterest board or a polyvore with this list to visualize it.

Last edited by Betinapple; 23-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.

23-02-2013
rising star

Hi! After reading this thread for a while now I decided to join. Winter is coming here in Buenos Aires and I need to replace my sweaters and tops. Today I found a very chunky beautiful beige round neck sweater, but it's a little bit out of my budget, I'm thinking to get it anyways because it's a classic piece and the quality is very nice. Maybe I can get a 25% discount but it will be my only buy in a long time...
I don't know how to deal with that, I want to know how you mix the pieces and resist buying new stuff.

23-02-2013
front row

Personally, I think it's not so much about "resisting" buying new stuff, but having everything you want/need and, therefore, not feeling like going shopping. I'm more prone to go shopping if I feel I have nothing to wear... which more often that not is more because I'm unhappy with what I own rather than not owning anything

23-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinab View Post
Hi! After reading this thread for a while now I decided to join. Winter is coming here in Buenos Aires and I need to replace my sweaters and tops. Today I found a very chunky beautiful beige round neck sweater, but it's a little bit out of my budget, I'm thinking to get it anyways because it's a classic piece and the quality is very nice. Maybe I can get a 25% discount but it will be my only buy in a long time...
I don't know how to deal with that, I want to know how you mix the pieces and resist buying new stuff.
welcome, carolina

i generally do stretch to buy the quality piece ... which then hopefully pays me back by being a real workhorse & lasting a long time.

not sure the reasons why your items need replacing, but i have a few tricks ... sometimes the tailor can fix the issue. a favorite sweater had a fraying cuff ... i had the tailor bind the cuffs with ribbon, & the sweater looks better than ever. also sometimes something that may not work on its own works as a layering piece.

i would focus on the important pieces you are buying rather than on the unimportant pieces you're not i do believe in buying the piece you really love when you see it--but i feel that way about something maybe twice a year. at the same time, if i see something good & just don't have the money to spend, i'm 100% sure it won't be the last great thing i ever see.

also, at a certain point i decide it's time to focus on the next season, eliminating everything from the old season from consideration.

it's really a matter of laser focus, separating the wheat from the chaff, the swans from the geese ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 23-02-2013 at 11:40 PM.

23-02-2013
backstage pass

Tata that is this the thread in the a nutshell! "i'm 100% sure it won't be the last great thing i ever see." You have to know and feel that or you will never get anywhere!

23-02-2013
Power to the 99%

^ agreed, aldn ... & also if i'm not buying, i'm probably also not shopping.

on a recent weekend i was in a browsing mood, & went to an antique mall & looked around ... something i find very soothing. i ended up spending $8 on a creamer that will be part of a christmas present for someone who collects them. let's just say i wouldn't have gotten out of barney's for $8 (though i certainly have gone many times without buying anything).

24-02-2013
trendsetter

@Carolina: Welcome! I do not think you should buy your item if you have to life of oatmeal and pasta for next long time That said, if you can afford the sweater but it is more expensive than what you are used to I think you should consider wether it is the most important thing for you to get ATM. If it is I think it will be a good investment but not if you need other things more or equally as much.

24-02-2013
trendsetter

What do you think of polyamide in knitwear? It is combined with lambswool (85% wool, 15& polyamide).

24-02-2013
front row

Speaking of fixing items - and as I remember fixing shoes being a subject a couple of days ago: are scuffs on patent shoes fixable? My patent oxfords have some pretty noticeable scuffs

24-02-2013
rising star

Thaks for your answers! I think I'm going to buy the sweater, I only have 2 of them currently and I'm a bit tired of them. Also, last year I invested in very good outwear, so I don't need to buy that this winter. I have the money but I'm very used to think "why get this now full price when I can get it in sale?" and the result is that I end up with nothing in my hands.
I decided this year I'm going to invest in some key pieces that are missing or need to be replaced if I can: trenchcoat, tops, new blouses and jewellery.
Betinapple your idea of the list is awesome, I'm doing one right now to see what I need!

24-02-2013
front row

welcome, carolina!

and fashionista-ta, you really hit the nail on the head here: "i would focus on the important pieces you are buying rather than on the unimportant pieces you're not "
YES!!!

I've been sitting with veronique branquinho's issue of A Magazine and the catalogue from her show at the antwerp fashion museum - two of my most dear possesions. I thought to myself, if I could just have a wardrobe full of branquinho, I'd never have a problem dressing again...
and then I thought, but I'd want to keep that piece, oh and that piece, and that, and that... I guess I am not all that unhappy about the wardrobe I have after all

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe