How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

24-02-2013
front row

Betinapple, you've inspired me to make a list, too! Mine is really long though, and I realized I REALLY don't have anything to wear. I keep buying things that have nothing to go with them and then I end up with items that I love but no outfits! Here's the list, items in bold I already have, and the ones in italics need replacing.

Skirts:
- Pleated or full black skirt
- Coloured midi pleated skirt
- Black bandage skirt
- Floral skirt
- Black leather bodycon skirt

Pants:
- Boyfriend jeans
- Black skinny jeans
- Leopard print trousers
- Wet look/leather leggings/pants
- Long jean shorts
- Leopard print pants

Blouses and shirts:
- Black sheer blouse, longsleeve, with pockets
- White sheer blouse, longsleeve, with pockets
- Dusky pink ruffle sleeveless blouse
- White pussybow or ruffled blouse
- Light blue and white small striped oxford
- Denim fitted shirt with mother-of-pearl-looking buttons

Tops:
- White slouchy semi-sheer tee
- Charcoal grey tee
- Heather grey tee
- Black tee

Dresses:
- White summer dress
- Floral corset top, full skirt dress
- Chambray shirtdress
- Hot pink dress
- Black pleated back dress

Knitwear:
- Breton striped black & white sweater

Jackets and blazers:
- Nude boyfriend blazer a la Stella McCartney
- Black boyfriend blazer

Outerwear:
- Black coat with silver hardware
- Black studded leather jacket
- Trench coat

Shoes:
- Tory Burch flats
- Acne Pistol boots in black
- Alexander Wang Anouck boots
- Brown wedges
- Hunter Wellington boots
- Ash Jalouse booties in camel
- Silver oxfords/brogues
- Doc Martens in black floral
- Black patent brogues/oxfords

Bags:
- Straw beach bag
- Cork/straw/wood bag
- Colorful summer bag
- Rebecca Minkoff hot pink Mini Mac bag
- Orange bag

Accessories:
- Alexander McQueen Skull scarf
- YSL Arty ring
- Michael Kors silver watch
- Silver triangle necklace
- Ray Ban Clubmaster II sunglasses
- Neon and silver necklace

Makeup, perfume & beauty stuff:
- Chanel Chance
- MAC Candy Yum Yum
- China Glaze For Audrey

And some photos of things I like:

shopbop.com, my-wardrobe.com, net-a-porter.com, modcloth.com, asos.com, fragrantica.com, cosstores.com

Sorry for the huge post and all the photos, I got kinda excited!

Last edited by Juliette; 24-02-2013 at 12:55 PM.

24-02-2013
trendsetter

@Carolina: Sounds like a good plan especially since you've got your outerwear covered! And thx. a lot. Please share your list!

@Twistelette:
interesting thought! I get the same feeling whenever I hear about people who abide by the rule of getting rid of one piece whenever they buy one. I do not want to get rid of any of my clothes.

24-02-2013
trendsetter

@Juliette: How nice! It is really inspiring to see someone else's list. I do not think you should be discouraged. I have done this for a couple of years now - although I still feel like an amateur sometimes compared to the real experienced ladies like Ta-ta. You are just getting started and being focused is a big part of the work. Also you included accesories and makeup. I didn't.

I really like how you have chosen colorful accesories. My first thought was that it would hard to combine the items (I am sort of afraid of colours ) but since your colours go nicely together and most of the clothes is black and white I thin it will look great!

24-02-2013
front row

I bought this tee today, just a basic:

mango.com

And I made my list, sort of. I find it pretty extensive.

Tops, blouses and shirts:
- Black tee
- Dark gray tee
- White pussybow blouse
- Basic button-up
(needs replacement)
- Sheer, flowy button ups
- Red blouse
- Purple blouse
- Green blouse

Skirts:
- Straight black skirt
- A-line black skirt

- Red skirt

Pants:
- Skinny jeans, dark wash
- Black skinny jeans
- Black trousers
- Gray trousers
(light viscose, only fit for summer)
- Navy trousers

Dresses:
- Basic black dress
- Black shirt dress
- Red dress
- Wrap dress

Knitwear:
- Black sweater
- Red sweater

- Gray sweater
- White sweater
- Burgundy sweater

- Breton sweater
- Light knits

Jackets and blazers:
- Black blazer
- Colour blazers
(I have two: navy and dark red)
- Nude blazer

Outerwear:
- Basic winter coat
- Trench coat
(I have a short black one, not sure I find it ideal)

Shoes:
- Black flats
- Black ankle boots
- Black heels
- Graphite Hunter boots
- Black oxford flats
- Vans Era
(need replacement)

Last edited by barbaraaa; 24-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.

24-02-2013
rising star

I made my list but it's VERY long. The conclusion is that I have to take some skirts to tailor, I have enough dresses and outwear.

I need:
mid/ high rise dark blue skinny jeans
colored skinny jeans (dark green or oxblood). I had a dusty pink pair but the seams ripped apart.
more tops, short and long sleeve (3- 5)
a white no sheer silk white shirt
maybe a frannel shirt, always good to layer in winter. or a printed one.
a light colored round neck chunky sweater
beige trench coat (have a red one, but I don't like it very much). Not urgent, It will be a nice purchase if I find the perfect one.
wool beanie
chain gold necklace

and only if I find one at a VERY good price, not urgent buy, a pair of black chelsea boots.

some of the items I may find them in outlet stores (the jeans and some tops). I don't pretend to spend a lot on the accesories. So the only big purchases will be the sweater and shirts.

I realised my problem is that I have lots of clothes, but I forget I have them and always wear the same stuff. This happens most in winter when I'm very lazy to choose what I'll wear. I promise to myself this winter I won't to this and try new combinations.

Last edited by carolinab; 24-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.

24-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
Speaking of fixing items - and as I remember fixing shoes being a subject a couple of days ago: are scuffs on patent shoes fixable? My patent oxfords have some pretty noticeable scuffs
have you tried rubbing them gently with a damp cloth? i was wondering if you could use saddle soap, and the answer is yes ... http://www.ehow.com/list_7341053_way...t-leather.html

24-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
What do you think of polyamide in knitwear? It is combined with lambswool (85% wool, 15& polyamide).
i have at least a couple with it ... looked it up & it seems the source can vary, but it's probably nylon. believe it's there to give the fibers more strength, so it should wear better.

24-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinab View Post
I made my list but it's VERY long. The conclusion is that I have to take some skirts to tailor, I have enough dresses and outwear.
Girl, look at mine. You should post it anyway!

Betinapple Thank you! I love accessorizing with colour!

24-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinab View Post
Thaks for your answers! I think I'm going to buy the sweater, I only have 2 of them currently and I'm a bit tired of them. Also, last year I invested in very good outwear, so I don't need to buy that this winter. I have the money but I'm very used to think "why get this now full price when I can get it in sale?" and the result is that I end up with nothing in my hands.
I decided this year I'm going to invest in some key pieces that are missing or need to be replaced if I can: trenchcoat, tops, new blouses and jewellery.
Betinapple your idea of the list is awesome, I'm doing one right now to see what I need!
i typically snap up things that are really great at full price. if i get something on sale, i consider that a bonus. if you look in people's closets, often the things with tags still on were on sale. sale shopping is kinda like thrifting, requiring advanced skill & patience. in both cases, things are there because no one else wanted them. fall 2008 was a great time to shop on sale for anyone who felt like they could! i got some great shoes that i really needed 40% off.

jewelry i think is a great solution when you're feeling tired of things. you can wear a great new pair of earrings every day.

24-02-2013
windowshopping

I posted this in the wrong thread originally. I meant to post this here.

I'd love to do this ***Edited*** and want to start building a wardrobe that is a lot more versatile than what I currently have, is of a much better quality, and is distinctly more me. Since I know it will be a while before I can even think about buying anything (currently unemployed ****
edited**** ), I have time to plan things out and really consider what things I both want and need. My only question for right now is what types of fabrics should I be looking for? I'd really love to invest in more quality pieces and as it currently stands, I don't really know what would really qualify as being a quality piece.

If someone doesn't mind explaining this a bit, I'd be eternally grateful for all the help! Thank you!

Last edited by BetteT; 25-02-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Removing weight talk

24-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Carolina: Sounds like a good plan especially since you've got your outerwear covered! And thx. a lot. Please share your list!

@Twistelette:
interesting thought! I get the same feeling whenever I hear about people who abide by the rule of getting rid of one piece whenever they buy one. I do not want to get rid of any of my clothes.
i know, that just drives me crazy! i typically get rid of things when they're definitely done. once in awhile i'll have something that can't go until i replace it but i try to avoid that situation by building in more than one piece that can play a particular role.

24-02-2013
Power to the 99%

juliette, glad you put together some pix i can see you like floral prints alot, pinks, chambray/denim, blacks. i also like a strong pop against black.

didn't see your favorite skater dresses on your list?

i would be a little cautious about how much you get rid of right now ... i think it's great you're selling things ... you get some spending money & someone else is using the items. but you want to make sure that you don't get to where you really don't have anything to wear!

as far as bags ... mine are kind of in the middle ground between statement & basic. i have a leopard calfskin kate spade i've been carrying all winter. statement, yet also neutral & basic in a way. i did have the perfect black bag ... but the hardware failed on the original & replacement, so i kinda had no choice but to take it back. also have a grey/lavender bag, and two straw bags with neutral leather trim, one of which has straw roses.

so getting to my point ... a hot pink bag may not be a good choice for the first bag. straw with neutral leather is very versatile, but only for warm weather. i would def. put a black bag on your list. you could get a studded one--maybe the wang bag if you like it? i find the really hot colors best for shoes, but ymmv ... you just want to make sure that you're not going to get tired of it.

24-02-2013
front row

^Those are some of my favourite things!

Yes, I completely forgot to put them on the list, maybe because they're not really spring appropriate, they're quite thick actually.

I'm mostly getting rid of things that don't fit or that I REALLY don't like. I have a small wardrobe which I use all the time. The rest of it is mostly things that haven't been worn once! I'm a terrible shopper, as I've said a million times before. But I'm getting a lot better, proud to say!

The bags you mentioned all sound beautiful.

About the Minkoff - it would be a spring/summer bag. I would wear it with every outfit, because my wardrobe is very B&W, and some pinks in it too, that I think it would mix great with. I would love a straw bag too, I had a gorgeous one by Zara that I used for the beach. I'm hoping they have some new ones this year, because mine is really beaten up. Also have my eye on a French Connection pink clutch with wooden handles, but I'll only be getting the Minkoff or this one, not both... I really really like the Mini Mac. But I will surely think it through, you are right - I don't want to get tired of it! (Though I do wear the hot pink clutch I have a lot!)

I would LOVE the Rocco, it's been on my wishlist for forever! But I'm concerned about the weight, because I've heard that it's quite heavy... I'm not really thinking about an everyday bag right now, though I admit that I should be! Everyone needs a nice black bag (and a brown one, and a grey one... :p)

Thank you as always fashionista-ta! You always give me something to think about and I really think I'm on my way to becoming a great shopper!

24-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsrachelle View Post
I posted this in the wrong thread originally. I meant to post this here. I'd love to do this ***Edited*** and want to start building a wardrobe that is a lot more versatile than what I currently have, is of a much better quality, and is distinctly more me. Since I know it will be a while before I can even think about buying anything (currently unemployed ****Edited****), I have time to plan things out and really consider what things I both want and need. My only question for right now is what types of fabrics should I be looking for? I'd really love to invest in more quality pieces and as it currently stands, I don't really know what would really qualify as being a quality piece. If someone doesn't mind explaining this a bit, I'd be eternally grateful for all the help! Thank you!
ah, a simple question ... there are several aspects to quality ... fabric, construction, cut, and then the ones specific to you--flattering fit and appropriateness to your personal style. with fabric, first you have to think about how you're going to care for it. i take most things i wear out of the house to a dry cleaner who doesn't use perc (nasty old school chemical). i like linen, cotton (organic if possible), silk, rayon, bamboo, lyocell, the various wools, and a little spandex never goes amiss. it's best to think about wrinkling upfront ... don't be afraid to grab a handful & squeeze (though maybe not under the direct gaze of the sa ). i like to wear a lot of knits for this reason & also i'm curvy. you also want to think about how it will wear. anything showing wear at the store is obviously not what you want. wools are some of the best fabrics for wearing well, like gabardine, crepe, or knit. silk can wear poorly in a skirt, and you want to look closely at linings. you can have them replaced, but that is you spending $$ to make up for the manufacturer cutting costs at your expense. construction ... in general, raw edges may not be the best idea, though i do have a couple in my wardrobe. turn a bunch of things at various price points inside out, & you will begin to see what is a good seam & what's not. reinforcements at stress points (like you see on jeans) are a very good idea. cut ... some of this is personal. the garment should fall well when you put it on. a good tailor can help. it was really helpful to me to have a job in a menswear store in college where i learned what good tailors can do. once at barney's i got the tailor out to improve the fit of the pants i was buying & afterwards the sa--who had told me not to worry about it--said he didn't know the tailor could do that. not sure where you are in the arc of your career, but if you get a chance to do that part-or full-time for awhile, it's a great learning experience. does this answer your question?

Last edited by BetteT; 25-02-2013 at 10:20 AM.

24-02-2013
Power to the 99%

checked on the weight at nap ... the rocco weighs 3.7 lbs vs 3.1 for the bayswater. but it will hold less, so the size will keep the total weight down.

btw, betinapple, the tan bag in the mulberry ads with the zippers and applied envelope is pretty cute ... maybe for next year??

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe