How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-01-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
Wow - good for you! But aren't you going to have a hard time not shopping at all untill we hit the AW season?
You know, I had this feeling last August, that I didn't have to shop all autumn / winter... Truth is: no way Therefore I try to stick with my budget / one piece per month rule.

But congrats, ATM, for finding your swimsuit. Any pictures? I'm on the lookout for a bikini / swimsuit right now, too.

15-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
You know, I had this feeling last August, that I didn't have to shop all autumn / winter... Truth is: no way Therefore I try to stick with my budget / one piece per month rule.

But congrats, ATM, for finding your swimsuit. Any pictures? I'm on the lookout for a bikini / swimsuit right now, too.
Even though it would be kind of a relief for me I would also find it so hard. I've tried to make a new rule for myself, that is more realistic than the 5 pieces. I've given each season (spring, summer, fall, winter) it's own 5 pieces. Economically I can not afford to buy 10 pieces for both SS and AW in a nice quality as well, but now I'll so how it goes and maybe use your "1 item pr. month" technique.

15-01-2012
backstage pass

I've finally found some basic button down tops that fit me wonderfully. It's taken me practically months to find a white button down that wasn't either too starched or too slouchy. Of all places I found them at Old Navy! Not what I expected but it was nice to pick up some pieces for a good deal. I agree it's so hard not to buy, I feel like I've been buying something every time I go out. I'm going to take at least a month of 'fashion detox' and not buy anything. I think it's important to look at what you have and fall in love again with pieces you've been neglecting.

oldnavy.com

15-01-2012
trendsetter

Great shirts Scarlett

I aggree, sometimes it's good to look at all the good things you already have. I did a post on best buys of 2011 on my blog, and it was a great way to see all the amazing things I've allready got in my wardrobe.

15-01-2012
rising star

I think it will be fairly easy not to shop, since I'm working hard on saving up for some more expensive pieces. Plus, I do have one more slot left on my list, so if I do see something I absolutely have to have, I do have some flexibility. This may change if a hole opens up in my wardrobe, but I think that I'll be fine with what I have.

This is the bathing suit I got, only in saturated purple-grape color:

Credit: jcrew.com

15-01-2012
backstage pass

I love the halter top! It's my favorite for swimwear, so flattering!

15-01-2012
Power to the 99%

As far as not shopping ... consulting my records for fall, I shopped in June, August, and December for fall. No shopping in July, September, October, and November

My shopping was very minimal this past season. I only bought one key piece (but it was expensive) ... everything else was pajamas, lingerie, tights, socks ...

For spring of last year, I shopped in February, March, May, and June. No shopping in January or April. For spring, I bought 10 pieces, including some transitional ones. So 11 for the whole year ...

16-01-2012
trendsetter

Pretty bathing suit ATM. Very cute.

Ta-ta: I know, it should not be so hard. Sometimes it is though. Not because of the rush but because I like to add something new to give a fresh look on things. Maybe I should try to be better at making new outfits from what I've got, but I feel that it is as good as it gets.

So, I've ran into quite a dilemma. I've saved enough money to buy the acne pistols, which I would really love to own. (Un)fortunately I've seen the perfect white dress, which I've been looking for for 5 years or more. It is not expensive, but due to my economy the next couple of months I can not afford to buy it because my money are going to pay for my medicine and trips to see my family.

The dress costs 75 GBP. If I buy it with the money I've saved up for the boots I will have to wait to buy the boots untill I've got the 75 pounds again. It could be a while and it could be any day if I sell some of the clothes I've put up for sale in a huge wardrobe clean-out. The boots I'll be able to get in a couple of months as well but the dress is on sale - though still available in all sizes.

I need the boots more right now bot the dress will be perfect for SS - and now too. I think I'm sticking to my plan of buying the boots and then hoping the dress is still there when I have the funds.

16-01-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I find white a bit risky ... for me, it's a magnet for all things not white The only thing I buy in pure white is t-shirts, and I know that they will have a limited lifespan. If you do well with white head to toe, I would go for the dress, assuming that the boots will definitely be available in the foreseeable future.

16-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I find white a bit risky ... for me, it's a magnet for all things not white The only thing I buy in pure white is t-shirts, and I know that they will have a limited lifespan. If you do well with white head to toe, I would go for the dress, assuming that the boots will definitely be available in the foreseeable future.
I used to spill all the time, but practice makes perfect apperently No it happens from time to time still, but it is a cotton/elastan dress, so if the unfortunate should happen I would be able to clean it up.

My thoughts on what to get first are excactly what you are saying. Im just reluctant to take money from my savings for ANYTHING since I don't want it to become a bad habit.

Acutally I was considering NOT buying the shoes because it has been a long time since I've had that kind of money for clothes and probably will be a long time until I have that amount again. For the same price I could buy a pair of jeans, the dress I was talking about AND 2 silk blouses (which is what I need the most ATM). All in a decent quality. If I go with the boots I might have to settle for the dress and a blouse later in the season and not so much more - on the other hand I would have a great pair of boots then.

I don't know what just happened. Seems I've got cold feet now that I finally got the money.

Last edited by Betinapple; 16-01-2012 at 11:38 PM.

16-01-2012
trendsetter

The situation has solved itself however, since I sold some of my books from when I was studying to be a teacher. Now the question just is what size I should get. Im usually an UK8/EU 36 in dresses - The dress are in sizes 1-6 (it's a Ted Baker dress), and 1 should be an 8. I've looked at the measurements and the I seem to be between size 1 and 2, but closest to 1. I'm afraid it is going to be too small, but size 10 is always too big for me, and I've just lost some weight. What would you do?

17-01-2012
backstage pass

Hey there!

White: I'm like you, Ta-ta, white is tough for me. I had a pair of white pants once and somehow they always seemed to be dirty. I was afraid to sit down with them... I like the look of white but I don't think it's a good color for items that should last. At least not for me :p

Betinapple: Congrats on selling the books and getting the money... Hm, the question with sizes is always very tough when online shopping. I prefer buying my things at net-a-porter cause they give you all the important measurements. That's something clearly lacking on many other pages. So I think the only thing you can do is give it a try. I'd probably buy size 8 if that's your usual size.

Buying expensive pieces: I know how it hurts to buy an expensive piece you have saved up for. So much money on one piece... It happened when I bought my Burberry Trench last year. It was so tempting to spend all the money on three more exciting pieces like blouses etc. Truth is: It was probably my best buy in 2011. That plus the expensive winter jacket I bought in December. These are the items that make everything else work... Like a bag or a great pair of shoes. However, if the Acne Pistols are really what you want and need, only you can decide.

Ta-ta: I actually went ahead and ordered the shoes I wrote you about. They were low stock and somehow I just wanted to take the risk. I mean, I'll be 33 this year, maybe a little bit of cuteness can still do. I hope :p We'll see how they are when they get here.

ATM: Cute bikini!

17-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Hey there!

White: I'm like you, Ta-ta, white is tough for me. I had a pair of white pants once and somehow they always seemed to be dirty. I was afraid to sit down with them... I like the look of white but I don't think it's a good color for items that should last. At least not for me :p

Betinapple: Congrats on selling the books and getting the money... Hm, the question with sizes is always very tough when online shopping. I prefer buying my things at net-a-porter cause they give you all the important measurements. That's something clearly lacking on many other pages. So I think the only thing you can do is give it a try. I'd probably buy size 8 if that's your usual size.

Buying expensive pieces: I know how it hurts to buy an expensive piece you have saved up for. So much money on one piece... It happened when I bought my Burberry Trench last year. It was so tempting to spend all the money on three more exciting pieces like blouses etc. Truth is: It was probably my best buy in 2011. That plus the expensive winter jacket I bought in December. These are the items that make everything else work... Like a bag or a great pair of shoes. However, if the Acne Pistols are really what you want and need, only you can decide.

Ta-ta: I actually went ahead and ordered the shoes I wrote you about. They were low stock and somehow I just wanted to take the risk. I mean, I'll be 33 this year, maybe a little bit of cuteness can still do. I hope :p We'll see how they are when they get here.

ATM: Cute bikini!
I have no problems with white. I have a white shirt and a white dress/skirt, both has survived so far! I spilled a berry on the shirt at one point, but I was able to clean it. The key is for everything white to be machinewashable, I think :p Which gives me a problem since I would love to own a white, short sleeve silkblouse, but for some reason I always spill when I'm wearing silk.

I think I'll go for the 8. It seems more right to me. Just hope it fits since it will be redicoulously expensive to return it.

It's not that I don't think the pistols are for me. I've seen a lot of similar boots, and they just don't speak to me in the same way. I think the problem is that now when I've finally got the money I hate to see all my savings go. It would be different if I knew I definetely would have the same amount again in a couple of months - but I don't. Anyhow, it is not a problem anymore since there's funds for both. Then I can find the money for a blouse or to later on in the season. Jeans can wait for fall, if I don't have the money before - I also need to find the perfect ones first.

Still, I was thinking a little bit about waiting with the shoes untill I get some extra income. I am looking for a job ATM. Just seems silly, since I should buy the shoes soon. If I don't, I might as well wait for fall, because hopefully I will not have much use of them during the summer.

What shoes did you buy?

17-01-2012
rising star

Glad you managed to work out the funds, Betinapple!

17-01-2012
backstage pass

My shoes:

I ordered a pair of cherry sandals... I don't know, I have a soft spot for cherries. I just love cherries. I always fall in love with shirts and tees with cherries on them but I don't buy them cause they feel too childish... :p But I have a lovely silk scarf with cherries. And these shoes... Well, a risky choice. But since I'd never wear a pair of open sandals to work anyway, they are cool for casual outfits. Or what do you guys think, too much cuteness??

They haven't been shipped yet so we will see how I like them when they arrive. Maybe I should have gone for a classic style but hey, sometimes you have to be a bit risky I guess it's the good mix of classics with fun pieces that makes the look So: My January purchase: cherry sandals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miumiu_sandals.jpg (41.7 KB, 5 views)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe