How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

26-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
I find it kind of hard to prioritize at the moment. I have a list of about 14 items that I feel I need (sooner or later) for spring / summer and somehow it's difficult to decide on what should be a top priority.

I feel I should maybe have one major investment piece each season. Last spring / summer it was a trench coat, in autumn / winter it was my jacket. I wonder if I should focus on a Chloé bag this season? The most expensive handbag I own is a MbMJ and it's more of a solution on time though it's doing pretty well. Sooner or later I want a real investment bag but somehow I never wanted to spend all that money. I think I might try to focus on saving up on one and keep the other items relatively low key. Somehow I feel if you buy ONE major investment piece per season you're on the best way to a great wardrobe on the long run.

Still need tops, a bikini, a pair of pumps though...
I think it is a good idea. Genereally I think you can get good clothes without spending tons of money on it. Even though I pretty much try to avoid them nowadays, many of my H&M items have lasted really good. I've got a cardi that'll soon be 4 years old and looks as new. Bags, shoes and leatherwear are something else however. I think that it is easier to spot a cheap bag than a cheap dress, and I also tend to wear my shoes out really fast and have sore feet if I do not buy quality.

Is there any model in particular you're looking at? And what MbyMJ bag do you already own?

I'm searching for a bag myself. I love my bayswater, but I could really use a black bag as well, preferably one that can carry books and maybe a small laptop/iPad, since I plan on studying further when I finished my computer-based education in a couple of years. I just have a really hard time finding a bag I relly WANT. I was never doubting that I wanted my bays but now I'm changing my mind all the time. My favourite ATM is the MJ Stam, but I've heard that it isn't fit for the things I need it for. Sadly, since it is the perfect bag regarding its looks.

Another option could be this bag from a danish brand called Decadent. The price-range are close to Marc By Marc Jacobs. I was head over heels in love with it last winter, but I'm not sure that I think the quality is good enough for a bag of that price, even though it is an okay price for a nice leather bag. Decissions decissions.

Anyhow, if anyone have seen a nice black leather bag in a classic/ladylike style, please let me know.

26-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
I think it is a good idea. Genereally I think you can get good clothes without spending tons of money on it. Even though I pretty much try to avoid them nowadays, many of my H&M items have lasted really good. I've got a cardi that'll soon be 4 years old and looks as new. Bags, shoes and leatherwear are something else however. I think that it is easier to spot a cheap bag than a cheap dress, and I also tend to wear my shoes out really fast and have sore feet if I do not buy quality.

Is there any model in particular you're looking at? And what MbyMJ bag do you already own?

I'm searching for a bag myself. I love my bayswater, but I could really use a black bag as well, preferably one that can carry books and maybe a small laptop/iPad, since I plan on studying further when I finished my computer-based education in a couple of years. I just have a really hard time finding a bag I relly WANT. I was never doubting that I wanted my bays but now I'm changing my mind all the time. My favourite ATM is the MJ Stam, but I've heard that it isn't fit for the things I need it for. Sadly, since it is the perfect bag regarding its looks.

Another option could be this bag from a danish brand called Decadent. The price-range are close to Marc By Marc Jacobs. I was head over heels in love with it last winter, but I'm not sure that I think the quality is good enough for a bag of that price, even though it is an okay price for a nice leather bag. Decissions decissions.

Anyhow, if anyone have seen a nice black leather bag in a classic/ladylike style, please let me know.

*Please do not quote the images*
pic via decadentshop.com

Last edited by Legyviel; 26-01-2012 at 01:03 PM.

26-01-2012
backstage pass

Bags: Betinapple, the bag looks nice from the picture, but it's hard to say something about the quality. Do you know someone who owns one? I actually own two MbMJ bags. I small black one and a bigger beige one that can carry Papers and stuff for work. Both aren't particularly exciting but they serve me very well - maybe because they are so simple. I love looking at those really exciting, colorful bags but somehow I don't think they'd be a good choice for me since I love colorful dresses and tops and need something that goes with everything. Now about the Chloe bags: For many seasons I have been admiring two Chloe styles: Marcie and Madeleine. I think sooner or later I want one as a long term investment. But not sure whether that will be this season. I'm not in a huge hurry but somehow I feel it would be wise to save up for something big instead of lots of mid-price clothing.

Where to spend and where to save: I think I have to rethink this one. I love to buy things that I think will last for many seasons and that was always a good strategy. However, I think part of my problem is that I live many different lives since the kids are here. When I'm playing around with them, cashmere just isn't the perfect material. I don't want to wash my cashmere sweaters every day... At the same time I'm tiered of wearing old and not so perfect stuff when out with the kids. I still want to feel great and stylish! So I think I need to find more reasonably priced clothing lines with decent quality and nice yet simple designs. I bought some APC last season and that seemed perfect. I think I need to develop a "casual style" but I still don't want to spend big bucks on that one. My money should still go to the cashmere sweater for work, to the nice coat and the nice bag.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 26-01-2012 at 04:09 AM.

26-01-2012
trendsetter

@Redandnavy: It IS a good bag compared to the price. But when I think about that I could by a pre-used stam for not much more than the amount it costs, I hesitate a little. The leather is very stiff but I've heard that it becomes really soft when you use it. I don't know wether that is the case with the croco inspired leather as well. I think the plain leather version seems nicer quality wise. But also a bit boring maybe? I want something classic, but still with good detailing. Fortunately, it is a NICE to have and not a NEED to have item ATM, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind. I think it would be a good and rather cheap solution, but I still want to love whatever I end up with.

I really love the marcie bag. Especially in the beige and white colour. Think it would be great for your style! So classic and feminine.

I think your plan for how to spend your money is great. I know that many women use this concept to get some really high quality pieces into their wardrobe, but with my shopping budget I have (and want) to buy a little highstreet, 2nd hand and brands that are in a good quality but without being in a 1000$+ price range. As I told you before, I prioritize bags and shoes highly regarding the economic aspect. Coats, as you've mentoined, are also great investment pieces; generally everything that you wear often, if you want it to last. And since I spend loads of time thinking each and every purchase through, it is important that it last for a looong time.

Hope my english isn't too messy. Not on my top game today

pic via decadentshop.com

26-01-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I really like the plain leather one, Betinapple

26-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I really like the plain leather one, Betinapple
I must admit that I find it a bit too boring. It is very classic yes, but the other one would still go great with the things I would use it with, I think. I think the plain one ould be fine if it wasn't black, but it's a black bag i need ATM.

26-01-2012
Power to the 99%

housebeautiful
^ What about a charm to make it interesting, like the Hermes tassel? (It's not that it's classic, I just like it better than the croc print.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tassel.jpg (21.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 26-01-2012 at 05:32 PM.

26-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
^ What about a charm to make it interesting, like the Hermes tassel? (It's not that it's classic, I just like it better than the croc print.)
It could be an idea, yes I like the croc print though. My only worry is that the plain one will look better when I've used it for some time. However, if it only lasts troughout my studies (5+ years) it will be ok. I'll probably don't have the need for that big a bag when I'm starting to work.

I would like to spend on this particular item, but I haven't seen any bag fit for school use, that I really like, other than this. The perfect bag would be MJ's stam, but I've heard that it isn't good for carrying books etc., and since I don't have the opportunity to go and see it in real life, I'm not sure I wanna gamble. Maybe that can be a wish for the day I start working full time

27-01-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, I would say you could put paperbacks in the Stam, but textbooks, no. Lots of students carry backpacks, and there are nice leather ones ... that might be another option. (However, I admit I never did ... but the options are nicer now I think :p)

27-01-2012
V.I.P.

Betinapple, i like the 2nd black tote you posted. i used to think totes were stupid (i usually opted for bags that are worn cross body) but now i use a black leather tote everyday. i use it to carry my snack, newspapers etc on the way to work its great for lugging home groceries and all my purchases.

27-01-2012
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: I don't see myself ending up with a backpack. I'm simply too vain. And besides, my back hurts from wearing a backpack stuffed with heavy books.

@Lucy: I really aggree! And I do have a thing for big bags. I think I'll go for the printed one, however.

28-01-2012
Power to the 99%

one-chic-boutique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Ta-ta: I don't see myself ending up with a backpack. I'm simply too vain. And besides, my back hurts from wearing a backpack stuffed with heavy books.

@Lucy: I really aggree! And I do have a thing for big bags. I think I'll go for the printed one, however.
Well, your back is going to bear the weight one way or another. The nice thing about a backpack is that it distributes the weight evenly vs a bag you hold in one hand.

Here's an example of a cute one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backpack.jpg (7.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 28-01-2012 at 12:17 AM.

28-01-2012
backstage pass

I love my black leather backpack. It's a kelty, which i didn't even know was kinda hip. I got it from a thrift shop. Lol. It's literally the shape of a classic backpack.

28-01-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Well, your back is going to bear the weight one way or another. The nice thing about a backpack is that it distributes the weight evenly vs a bag you hold in one hand.

Here's an example of a cute one:
I know, but even though it is against the general "rules" my whole back hurts when I've worn a backpack, whereas i only get a small fatigue in my arms when I use a normal hand/shoulder bag.

30-01-2012
front row

Love both versions of that bag, Betinapple! I wonder how croc print leather wears once it's been loaded full of books for a few months? The smooth leather one might take a beating a little better, but I couldn't say for sure....

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, 45, french, piece, wardrobe