How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
I am definitely not adapting well. I hate the cold & the rain. I have no clue on how to dress for this weather. This jumper would have worked perfectly where I come from and I could have used it all the time.. The only layers I can think of now is a shirt underneath it and a cardigan/blazer + coat. But I get cold very easily (basically if it's below 25 degrees, I am cold). I have never gone out and about without a solid coat since I have been living here. Never went out without at least 1 scarf too.. And of course a beanie/hat. Thanks god it's going to be over soon..

So yes I am torn because I could definitely use it my other homes, on holidays and when we finally move again but for now I am stuck here and must consider warmer options..
Posted via Mobile Device
what i would suggest is multiple layers of knits. these hug your body and make really good insulation. just woven fabric, it's ok, but ... not the same. like a long-sleeved T under a sweater, and you could even do a cardigan over that. or another short-sleeved T underneath instead of the cardigan on top. or a down or fleece or quilted vest (or gilet as i think they're called in europe) on top could be another option. you could try this with items you own & see what you think ...

15-03-2013
backstage pass

Where do you come from, Eva? You might have written it before but I didn't read it... I can understand you hate the cold... But one does get a bit used to it. Layering is a good option. And believe me or not, it will get warmer and you might get to use lighter sweaters

I find it hard to find stylish thick sweaters. There are some, of course, but there aren't too many out there. It's one of my fall/winter projects, too. If I were you I wouldn't buy the Ralph Lauren sweaters if you don't absolutely love it now. Wait for the next cold season when more choices will be available. The very cold days must be over very soon and you will make it through them. Medium and light weight knits are easier to find right now.

Oh, and thank you so much for the nice words about my board This pinterest thing has been quite helpful for me. When you see all your favorites together it's easier to see what really makes sense.

15-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^ the other thing I really like is that when you put your choices side by side, the best one really pops.

15-03-2013
front row

Thank you for your help everyone

twistelette: I kept the sweater. I think I will try ta-ta suggestion. I am definitely not as inventive as I should be for this kind of weather. Layer is the way to go Will see how it turns out. I tried it on again tonight and I love it

Barbara: Exactly. For me < 25C is chilly, < 15 is cold and and < 5 is freezing.. I wish I could master the way English girls dress. I can't believe I keep my coat on even in July/August and always have a cotton scarf on or in my bag..

Red, you are welcome I grew up between East Africa and the South of France. A bit of a shock even if I have been in London for a couple of years now. I will keep in mind the fact that I may see heavier and more suitable sweaters at some point. In the mean time, I am going to see what kind of t-shirts zara/mango have to start learning the art of layering. I also need to keep browsing for some cardigans..still haven't gotten one.

ta-ta: I am exploring the colour scheme. I "cleaned" my closet and only left on pinterest the pieces I am actively wearing. I am considering either blue/green/red or blue/red/orange. I will throw black and white in the mix. I modified the list of what I am looking for as well..trying to be more focused . I will need flats shoes more than I will need leather sandals with the weather here..

15-03-2013
rising star

I gived up on my seach for the perfect chelsea boots, here in Argentina there is a BIG creeper, platform, combat boot UGLY trend. Fiding a classic flat chelsea boot is impossible, so I sent my two black booties to get soles replaced. I hope they last at least one more winter. Maybe when I go to the US in june I find them...

I found a very nice red t-shirt, maybe I'll go for it, red might be a nice pop of colour in my dark wardrobe.

15-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^ red sounds nice

eva, you might think about looking for a cashmere short or long-sleeved T for layering, or wearing alone in warmer months ... does anyone have a recommendation for something like that? if you like bodysuits (i'm not a huge fan ...) that would be another option ... having something securely fastened like that really helps with the cold i find. well tucked in probably does the same thing ...

15-03-2013
fashion insider

EvaH: I am very cold sensitive too, and I should tell you that a cashmere turtleneck on top of a cashmere turtleneck works great

A wool coat on top of another wool coat works great. I wore both of the coats I brought when I went shopping in London nov/dec last year

At least you do get some nice weather during the summer in London. Where I live the average temperature in the warmest month is 15 degrees I don't really buy summer clothes any more. We only have spring, autumn and winter

15-03-2013
trendsetter

Cos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
eva, you might think about looking for a cashmere short or long-sleeved T for layering, or wearing alone in warmer months ... does anyone have a recommendation for something like that? if you like bodysuits (i'm not a huge fan ...) that would be another option ... having something securely fastened like that really helps with the cold i find. well tucked in probably does the same thing ...
Even wool is very nice, woolen underwear should not be too hard to find.

Loove your dress, Betinapple, and a real bargain!

So, I got a second item from my shopping list I posted a few pages ago; recently I found a perfect skirt! It's a black layered A-line one from COS.
I already have some black ones, but I wear black skirts a LOT (I mostly wear black though) and I donated one a month ago and one needs replacing, because the elasticized waist is completely stretched and torned.
And my mum bought me a striped round neck T-shirt, I love B/W stripes but don't have any with short sleeves, so I will surely wear it a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdfd73ca25d37920cf876b770d741344.jpg (56.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 81aa36c771862d93e0f597532a37869a.jpg (63.7 KB, 0 views)

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

15-03-2013
fashion insider

I hope your purchases will be true workhorses, Jinadaze

I really need some input/help from you guys... I am posting here because I think the shopping thread was merged?

I found a Vanessa Bruno jacket that I like, but I am really unsure if I should go for it because it is not on my list, and I have a lot of jackets already. On the other hand, the reason I have so many jackets is because I love good jackets, and I wear them all year round because we have no summer.

I love the color (It is "my color") and it seems like a good jacket for spring/that-in-between-season-we-don't-have/autumn.

I think the color is less "green" than it is in the pictures from theoutnet.

Link to more pictures and details: http://www.theoutnet.com/product/823...vFK6Xt34zRX0fw

theoutnet

Last edited by eizhowa; 15-03-2013 at 05:57 PM.

15-03-2013
Power to the 99%

love that skirt, jinadaze. you could have the elastic replaced, but sounds like it may be past it?

eizhowa, sorry, not sure what's on your list do you have optional items that could be bumped for this? i don't think you're in a situation where there's anything you're really hurting for, is that right? assuming that, i don't see why not ... this looks useful. it could serve as light outerwear, or also sub for a blazer, with jeans or you could wear to work with a black skirt, etc.

15-03-2013
front row

Credit: farfetch
Jina very nice purchases. I especially like the skirt, very interesting.

eizhowa I am really new at this but: if jackets are a very important part of your wardrobe and you do wear them all year around I think it's never bad to invest in them. Plus this one is quite versatile and like ta-ta said, you could use it several ways.
Re cold: I know ! And I love Norway. One of my friend is from Bergen. Such a beautiful place.. I could never live in Norway/Sweden/Denmark etc.. although I absolutely love those countries. Kuddo for managing it all year around, I live in London and yes we do get the sun sometimes but it is never warm enough for me Thanks for the tips

Me: I found my color scheme: black, white, red and blue. It is so much easier to look for things now and I feel like having at least coherent colours really did change my board. I got my eyes on this DvF cashmere cardigan. I love it and it is on sale.. It's the last one available. I think it would be a good purchase for my first "focused" cardigan..

DvF New Pamona Cardigan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DvF Cardigan.jpg (45.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by EvaH; 15-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.

15-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
love that skirt, jinadaze. you could have the elastic replaced, but sounds like it may be past it?
Thanks! Can't wait to get it.
I will probably ask a sewer, because I really loved that skirt. I wore it at least 4 years and since it was pretty cheap (Zara) it's understandable, but still ...

EvaH, what a beautiful cardigan! I love almost all shades of red too, from coral/orangey red to (especially) burgundy.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 15-03-2013 at 08:00 PM.

15-03-2013
Power to the 99%

yoox
^^ I think it's really pretty ... i can see it layered over black. sounds like a good color scheme.

does anyone have quality feedback on dvf cashmere? i don't think i've seen the knits locally.

just ordered these ...
Attached Images
File Type: png black colorway.png (134.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 15-03-2013 at 08:26 PM.

15-03-2013
front row

My shopping list challenge
ta-ta: really nice pants! Hope those will work Can't wait to see what you will be pairing them with.

Using RedAndNavy template. Thank you

What I'm looking for...

In general:
- colors: black, white, red blood and deep blue

-Prices 500£ for jackets and max 2000£ bags, 500-600£ for shoes and 100-350£ for sweaters, cardigans etc. t-shirts and simple cotton items no more than 100£

- I want to buy one piece per month. I don't have a specific rule for sale. So far I bought 4 pieces. I don't want to do anymore shopping in April and May so I am thinking of waiting until summer sales (June?July? I don't even know when it is ) to get something. Either the trench, or jeans + sweater/cardigan.

My body is average (1m72cm, size 0/US XS/EU S for tops, between size US 4 and US 6 for jeans but definitely US 4 for dresses. Meaning I am I between UK 8 and 10/EU 36-36) Need to loose some weight )
I have the typical African woman shape: breasts, bottom, very tiny waist and not defined at all. No X here). I am not a fan of oversize clothes because of my breasts and the fact that I have a tiny undefined waist..I like stuff to give me shape..

Fall winter pieces
  • I have already pinned some things so this list will only be for the stuff I am completely at a loss with..
  • Cardigans: knit, cashmere, wool.
  • 3 pair of pants. I am thinking silk, something really soft and feminine but still very structured. I want it to scream work but also fun. Hopefully it can be used for both lives. I am not a huge fan of cigarette pants etc as I have some tights and bottom :p
  • Trench coat: now that I have my colour scheme I really don't know where to look at/what kind of things to look for.. I would prefer a really high quality trench.
  • 3 Scarves: only one caught my eyes so far..

Last edited by EvaH; 15-03-2013 at 09:48 PM.

15-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^ probably with pretty much everything i own in red, black, & white I have short and 3/4 sleeve red cardigans, the red mary janes, etc., plus various black sweaters and tops. i need to replenish my white Ts after not buying any last year. i'm down to one good one. they'd be good with coral too.

Suggest looking for some basic wool or cashmere layering pieces--simple things that will work with everything. black is going to be a lot more practical than white, but a colored top may also work. rick owens does pieces like this ... does anyone have a recommendation at a lower price point?

as far as pants ... silk is beautiful, but not very practical. if you really would like some, then i would look at one pair silk, and the rest wool, which is not only the most durable fabric, but also warm. there are more stress points on pants than tops i believe ... you use your legs to get around, you move in and out of the car if you drive, so the seams are under stress & silk just isn't that strong. i realize i just got a pair of silk pants they are loose, so i have that going for me. they're statement pants ... i would prefer a different fabrication & tried pretty hard to get the cotton blend, but it wasn't happening for me

as far as a trench, burberry is the obvious choice. i believe some styles do go on sale, there may be some classic ones hard to find on sale. it's just a matter of philosophy ... to buy things on sale you have to work a bit harder & maybe not get your first choice. likely an item worth paying full price for. but i have no doubt if betina decided she wanted one, some time would pass & she would be back to announce she had found something great for a fantastic price there are lots of cute ones ... if i were buying one now, i'd probably go for some nice detailing and a nice taupe.

of course you are right there in burberry central, so i'd definitely get down to the boutique and check everything out. since you're so cold-natured, you will definitely want one with the wool lining (mine zips out). i assume they still have this feature??

are you looking for just wool/cashmere scarves?

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 15-03-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe