How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^ yeah, that's about what i spent last time. for a little over $20 the time before that, i got very plain organic cotton Ts--but it was a nice kind of plain. they were actually still around but i couldn't find them in the store last time until after i was done. don't understand why stores can't be better organized ... i know they want you to wander around, but if you're convinced the merchandise isn't there & go elsewhere to buy, that seems self-defeating to me

19-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Basics: Okay, I get it. I was starting to feel quite anxious about it. Nice to know I can buy those t-shirt and bodysuits without having to take something of my list.

Time period: I want to do the one item per month. So I have until December 2013. My next "big" purchase should happen in May (if I don't get the draped cardigan) as I already bought 4 items: cardigan, sweater, dress and ballerina flats. As for patience, I will get there. Thank you Betina

Pants: yes I definitely can. I have one white pant, one denim jean, one red jeans. Coupled with all my dresses and skirts I could definitely manage

Trench/Leather jacket: you are right. I chose a biker leather jacket instead of a cardigan-like one but I will go for it. I wanted one for a very long time and it is cheaper and easier to find/chose than the trench

Shoes: ankle boots are on my list. I am torn between the acne pistols or the suede opening ceremony. I like the shape of the opening ceremony better and I feel like they are more versatile/could do "dressy" better. But I have never done suede with a very rainy weather etc.. Is it practical? I fell in love with some sneakers (Barbara bui) but I don't think they can be called "semi-dressy" sadly..

Sweaters/cardigans: those definitely are my top priority. I guess I am supposed to get one each time?

So far that would mean
- leather jacket
- pair of shoes (ankle boots or sneakers)
- scarf
- cardigan
- sweater

To get 8 items: 2 sweaters, 2 cardigans, 2 pair of shoes (boots and sneakers) and scarf + leather jacket.

Thank you so much girls
Posted via Mobile Device
love the shape of those boots, but sadly suede is definitely not practical for rain--in fact, one bad rain can kill a pair of suede anything. you might want to consider a pair of cute rainboots--burberry & lots of other companies make them & at reasonable prices because the materials are inexpensive. and of course there are always the classic wellies. some of the boots are inflexible--i think wellies may be better for that.

i would count the scarf if it's expensive--you probably do want to invest in it as you'll likely wear it a lot & i remember you want a pretty one this time.

as far as basic layering pieces, if you're considering a couple different styles, i'd buy one of each and live with them for awhile to see what you really prefer. then when you know for sure, you can stock up a bit to what you need to get you comfortably to the next time you'll do laundry.

do you have a nice warm coat already?

19-03-2013
front row

Credit: net-a-porter, mytheresa, the outnet, the corner, muuba
Suede boots: How come the duchess of Cambridge wore hers year in ans out for 10 years? I also got a spray from Clarks meant to "protect" leather & suede from rain/snow etc.. I was also thinking about bringing those boots to my shoe repair to have then "impermeable".. (in France we do that to shoes..it kind of put a coat on them...). It's not doable here?

I am definitely counting the scarf. I am torn between a blue 70% cashmere, 30% wool and a grey scarf, mix of wool, cashmere, nylon and mohair. Which one should be the warmest?

I have a lot of coats: 1 black duffle, 1 long black coat, 1 orange mid length coat and one dark red coat)

Layering: just thinking about short sleeves (round and v neck), long sleeves (v-neck) and bodysuits

My list
- Muuba leather jacket
- ankle boots ?
- Barbara bui sneakers
- Scarf: chan luu or duffy
- Ralph Lauren poncho: I only picked one as I did not like the other as much..
- APC light wool pullover
- Iris & Ink cashmere sweater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muuba Leather Jacket.jpg (48.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Barbara bui sneakers.jpg (5.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ralph Lauren Cashmere poncho.jpg (66.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg APC light wool pullover.jpg (65.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Iris and Ink Cashmere sweater.jpg (84.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Chan luu 70% cashmere scarf.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Duffy Wool mohair nylon cashmere.jpg (209.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by EvaH; 19-03-2013 at 12:53 PM.

19-03-2013
front row

I think that "coated" suede only holds up in not very serious rain, not in London weather... it's a pity though, because those boots look nice. But yeah, suede is an inconvenience.

19-03-2013
Power to the 99%

the duchess has not shared her techniques with me at all, but maybe if you contact the palace ... have you seen her wear them in the rain? it may be that she has a number of pairs of the same boot as well ...

the scarf may be something to shop for in person. possibly the latter would be warmer as it sounds fluffy, but i have no idea, i'm just guessing.

19-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Jina: I feel ya! I am fed up with snow as well and we are currently having a blizzard. Maybe you should buy a pair of ACNE tracks
I would, but doubt I'll be able to spend that amount on shoes in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Ta-ta: so great about the pants! Hope they are gorgeous IRL. Didn't you order a pair from another brand?

EvaH, I love the royal blue scarf, but the second one looks like it would be more versatile, don't you think.
I know I would get bored of a such bold coloured scarf myself, wearing it almost daily, like you plan to.
How do you like the other two ones in darker gray from Chan Luu?

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 19-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.

19-03-2013
front row

Quote:
EvaH, I love the royal blue scarf, but the second one looks like it would be more verstaile, don't you think.
I know I would get bored of a such bold coloured scarf myself, wearing it almost daily, like you plan to.
How do you like the other two ones in darker gray from Chan Luu?
I did not select that one because it is only 55% silk and 45% cashmere.. Thought it would be too thin :/

As for the other grey, I dislike it because I am afraid it might "peel"/loose some bits all over my clothes. I also absolutely love the deep blue colour and I would not mind the colour. I think it would look nice with whatever I own or I could still select my other scarves (i have plain black and plain grey cotton, I often wear the 2 together). Yep, I will definitely get the blue

Last edited by EvaH; 19-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.

19-03-2013
trendsetter

Oh, I see, I think it's the best choice for you. Didn't know that you already have a neutral coloured ones.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

19-03-2013
Power to the 99%

eva, i think a good quality scarf shouldn't shed ...

do you have any trouble keeping white/ivory clean? sometimes pale colors are not the most practical, but then again, some light colors you need to keep a wardrobe from being too dark. i have an ivory skirt that i wear quite a lot ... but it does show things, the cleaners are very familiar with it

i do have some suede shoes, but it's not what i buy first. i also consider the weather when thinking about what shoes to wear ... i have pale leather shoes that have water marks from a flash flood. i could've used some rain boots that day ... something to think about for later on, perhaps.

19-03-2013
front row

I did not give much tought about rain boots because I hate them. I absolutely hate everything that is plastic.. I tried wellies for 2 years now and ended giving them away. I find them super ugly. Then I tried "funkier" ones (pink flower/cute stuff) but it did not work out either. waiting for somebody to want them or they are going to charity..

I have no problem with white/grey. One of my favorite piece is a white blazer, most of my top are light colours, I have quite some white in my wardrobe as well. But, overall I am not a big fan of pastels. Anyway, after some googling the grey scarf should be warmer since it is a mix of mohair/cashmere/wool. Since so far I only have 6 items pinned (no boots), I might get it as well. I will never have too many scarves

Last edited by EvaH; 19-03-2013 at 02:06 PM.

19-03-2013
front row

I don't particularly like rainboots, and I think they make me look stumpy/my legs look thicker, but they are true life savers. I have a pair of Hunters and I can't recommend them enough. But if you tried them and hate them, of course it's a different case

Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have my pinterest done with pics of my clothing! I even added a board for stuff I want to keep but am not sure what to wear it with! Hopefully some of you will be able to help me with that.

19-03-2013
Power to the 99%

thechicdress.wordpress
you have the whole rest of the year to make final selections

i have a rule that nothing in my world is allowed to be ugly sometimes this creates a lot of work for me, but that's OK. i think beauty is a really important part of life, and i'm not willing to settle for anything less. here's a rainboot i like ... this is a 'real' brand i believe, looks more flexible than some around the ankle. i believe proper ones should be rubber rather than vinyl ...

barbaraa, sounds like a great idea ... will take a look. when you pin something, that is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunter.jpg (27.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 19-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.

19-03-2013
front row

Credit: Saksfithavenue
ta-ta: those definitely look fun! But definitely not my cup of tea..

barbara can't wait to have a look

Just saw those boots. Really cute. I might try to visit saks next month as I really would like to avoid shipping from the USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rachel Comey mars ankle boots.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)

19-03-2013
rising star

I went to see the boots! They are gorgeus in real life and the price is good. I thought they only came in that tan/light brown color but they also come in a very dark brown. I'm indicisive about the color now, they are both so beautiful...
I have a tan/orange bag (I don't like the color that much but it was a gift from my mum and it's very practical), my other bags are taupe, black and white.
And I have black booties (leather and suede) so maybe the dark brown ones will be too dark and similar to the black? I don't know if that makes any sense...

Which ones you think will suit more my wardrobe? I have items in black, navy, bordeaux, green, some yellow/mustard. My winter coats are navy blue, leopard faux fur. I'm planning on buying dark green or oxblood pants soon and a beige sweater.
Here you can have a look at what I own http://pinterest.com/carobardelli/what-i-already-have/

EvaH try to avoid suede on rain, it really ruins it. I wore my suede bots in the rain and now they are not the same, the texture is different. I know rain boots are usually awful (I hate them too), maybe you'll find a nice pair. I really liked this ones I saw in urban outfittes site

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...SEARCH+RESULTS

Last edited by carolinab; 19-03-2013 at 03:25 PM.

19-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
ta-ta: those definitely look fun! But definitely not my cup of tea..

barbara can't wait to have a look

Just saw those boots. Really cute. I might try to visit saks next month as I really would like to avoid shipping from the USA.
i like the boots, and i think going to the store is a great idea.

the rainboots were meant more to illustrate the point that they don't have to be ugly or obnoxious ... there's a rainboot out there for everyone.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe