How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Oh girls, I'm sorry I haven't been posting much in the last couple of days... I see there's a lot to catch up on and that's super exciting. I just got some really bad news. The store where I work is closing, so 7 of us girls will lose our jobs... I'm so sad, I can't even explain it properly. This was literally the best job, with the best coworkers, I loved it so much and I'll miss it dearly. And not only that, but I'll have no income from now on, since my other job is more of an experience thing. Now I want to find something new, but it's so hard in this economy... I just feel so terrible, I really don't want to complain but I find it so hard looking at beautiful things that I won't be able to afford any longer...
I'm sorry to hear that, juliette ... I think we've all been there in terms of a job coming to an end.

this gives you the perfect opportunity to test your wardrobe and see how you've done. i can look back and find seasons where i bought just an inexpensive pair of shoes, or stocked up on tights. One of the benefits of a well-thought-out wardrobe is that it continues to work for you & carries you through even when you're not able to add anything for awhile

You've also acquired some skills that will help you make the most of the money you do have.

When you find holes in your wardrobe, you can note them down & think about the best way to fill them ...

20-03-2013
fashion icon

Hi ya'll, I would really like to give this wardrobe plan a go, it seems like a smart way to build a closet of clothes that will last rather then continuing to buy lots of shoddily made clothes. I'm a college student on a budget and one who would ideally like to just try and buy vintage/thrifted and sustainable/fair trade clothing for the most part. I'm not sure how well this will fit into the 4-5 wardrobe plan, I still think it's do-able (what do you guys think about this?). There are a few things that I feel like it might be impossible to find that fit in these categories (like running shoes) but I'm willing to buy them even if they conflict a bit with my goal.

Right now I mainly wear pants because where I live is really windy and cold so I don't feel comfortable walking to class in skirts and dresses (even with tights on). In the spring and summer I wear more dresses and skirts though. My main color scheme is black, blue, grey (lots and lots of grey), and white. And some items that are turquoise and shades of pink. I also wear a ton of striped clothing (it's actually unhealthy how much stripes I wear).

These are the pieces I really need to add to my wardrobe:

A skirt (probably in black and goes to the knee)
Dress that can be worn in the spring/summer
A proper button down shirt
Desert Boot (found a pair from Clarks that I really like and am contemplating purchasing)
A nice sandal for the summer
Long sleeve striped shirt or sweater
Blazer or Denim Jacket (something lightweight for warmer seasons)
Sunglasses (seeing as my favorite pair broke after having them for around three years)

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should focus on purchasing first? It's kind of a long list but I've noticed a lot of holes in my wardrobe that need to be filled. Also, I'm on pinterest at yoninahaliza (of course! ) if you want to add me. Ignore many of the boards, I'm just focusing on the one called 2013 Style Inspiration. From what I've noticed my style seems to be leaning towards a slight 1940's-50's influence. Would love any feedback that you think would be helpful!

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 20-03-2013 at 11:44 PM.

21-03-2013
trendsetter

@MissT: well you might be right then the H&M one?

@Eizhowa: well we did just have snow again but I think I am managing pretty well (or.. I have been home sick the past two days so maybe that's why I am coping ). But there might be some truth to it though.

I also have a quality radar. It is a bit off when it comes to polyester since it has gotten harder to spot it since there is a lot of good poly out there. It can easily spot acrylic knit though

@Ta-ta: The desk has to be not facing the wall since it is not very healthy (or fun) when you sit there for most of the day, and therefore can only be in the bedroom. There is no room for it in the living room. I want an appartment with office space.

I think my wardrobe looks pretty organized on pinterest but not all of my items are listed and somehow it is just different IRL. Right now I have one rack with dark clothes and the few "off" colours (yellow, purple, maroon) and one for the bright clothes (whites, pale blues, dusty pink, red). I was thinking about mixing it up a bit or making a "his" and "hers" rack since my boyfriends clothes is also there. I just guess mine would be a lot more packed than his maybe I'll take a picture this afternoon.

@YoniahAliza: Welcome fellow stripe-aholic. I have an addiction as well, nice to se a fellow stripe-lover I love the 50s as well!

I think you can build a good wardrobe on sustainable clothes and vintage stuff. But you need to be very focused. I thrift once in a while and it is my free space to get a bit more spontanious. You will need to NOT do that I guess.

I would not thrift for shoes so I would splurge a bit more on those but the clothing you should be able to find in thrift stores if you are patient The sunglasses you might have to buy from new too. Can you sew? Easier things like full skirts is not that hard to make yourself and it is a lot cheaper than buying them.

As to where you should start, what do you feel your wardrobes lacks the most?

Me: I did the only thing I know how to do when my wardrobe feels messy: clean out my basics and underwear. And so I did. I even managed to decide to take a pair of jeans and that horrible acrylic stripe sweater I bought in December, to the thrift shop. Also got a lot of underwear that was worn or too big. It did not help the other issue but it felt good. And I also discovered that I will not have to buy basic tops for a looong time.

21-03-2013
front row

Hopefully my pinterest will be done by tonight! Whew. I didn't bother to picture tees and shorts and the like that are basically "beach/summer festival" attire, nor basic camis and tank tops. A couple of t-shirts I did take pictures of because I wear them a lot.

I have a lot of pieces that are maybe "too young" but that I might be able to dress up somehow. I also realized there are pieces I've had for eight years (or more) that still fit me, that I still like, and that are still in great condition.

Most of my pictures are terrible, and show one of the main issues of my wardrobe: the drawers are too tiny. They're square and not very deep, which causes most of my tops to wrinkle. I can guarantee you all they'll be ironed before being used .

Last edited by barbaraaa; 21-03-2013 at 11:43 AM.

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Yoninah, welcome i think it's a great goal. as far as running shoes, i'm sure you can find some that are 'better,' maybe not perfect. that's an item that for the health of your feet, i think you really want to buy new. (not a bad idea for all shoes, but running shoes most especially. and as you know, they must be replaced regularly if you are actually running.)

if you are shopping second-hand, it requires even more flexibility. typically we make lists 6 months to a year or more out. certain things are sometimes crying out to be addressed right away ... otherwise, maybe from a selection of 3-4 we might buy what turns up and is really great. this will be even more true for you.

basics can be quite difficult to find second-hand, but twistelette recently hit the jackpot with a pair of black pants, so it can be done. i would think your blazer/denim jacket category should be no problem, but the black skirt you might need to buy new.

just remember that if alll else fails, this is a very eco-friendly approach, even if you need to buy an item that may not have any other redeeming features, your approach to it will.

as your budget evolves, you can start to consider artisanal lines such as bruno cucinelli and bottega veneta and alaia.

the sunnies i'm sure you can find on the secondary market ...

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

betina, it's the equinox, i think that's where your spring cleaning urge is coming from have you thought about making a slipcover for the rail, or do you really want to see it?

barbaraa, is there a way you can hang things up? i hang virtually everything, even knits, to prevent wrinkling ...

21-03-2013
front row

My pinterest is done for a while. There are some (very few) pics that won't show up no matter what, I'll try those again tomorrow. Also a couple of pieces are washing right now, but I'll update those whenever I can

21-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
barbaraa, is there a way you can hang things up? i hang virtually everything, even knits, to prevent wrinkling ...
Ah, only just saw this.
Not right now, but hopefully when I move I'll have a better wardrobe in that sense. I wish I had the space to hang everything.

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^ perhaps rolling might work better than folding in your current space?? you could maybe experiment with different methods and folded shapes to see what works best ...

21-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
betina, it's the equinox, i think that's where your spring cleaning urge is coming from have you thought about making a slipcover for the rail, or do you really want to see it?

There might be some truth to that. Right now I just want to take everythung I do not use to the attic just to see how that would workout but I am also thinking that if it up there I will definetely not use but. But then again, how much did I need/love it anyway then? And if I miss it I can just take it back down.

I do want to see my clothes, which is why I chose this solution in the first place

Here is what it looks like ATM

Last edited by Betinapple; 21-03-2013 at 01:57 PM.

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^ i am not seeing a big problem there ... but i will say that with 3 dogs, i do not store my bags on the floor!!

i like to organize my things by type--i have tops in one area, bottoms in another. & then off-season items i move to my back closet. bags i'm not using live in their drawstring sacks on the closet shelf.

i don't really organize by color--but i also have clothes behind a door. shoes i have in the open but to the extent i organize, it's by frequency worn.

21-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
^ i am not seeing a big problem there ... but i will say that with 3 dogs, i do not store my bags on the floor!!

i like to organize my things by type--i have tops in one area, bottoms in another. & then off-season items i move to my back closet. bags i'm not using live in their drawstring sacks on the closet shelf.

i don't really organize by color--but i also have clothes behind a door. shoes i have in the open but to the extent i organize, it's by frequency worn.
I had a feeling that it might just have been my overly perfectionistic site speaking. I am contemplating it another way though. Maybe by type is the way to go.

Or maybe I will actually remove what I do not use.

I am aware that storing bags on the floor is not the best thing in the world but I've got my more structured bags like my bayswater hanging. I will have a long shelf put up over the racks but that will be for shoe boxes.

21-03-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
I had a feeling that it might just have been my overly perfectionistic site speaking. I am contemplating it another way though. Maybe by type is the way to go.

Or maybe I will actually remove what I do not use.

I am aware that storing bags on the floor is not the best thing in the world but I've got my more structured bags like my bayswater hanging. I will have a long shelf put up over the racks but that will be for shoe boxes.
I have my clothes hanging by type, and am very happy with it. You could try it, and then if you liked it the other way, change it back

- Coco Chanel

21-03-2013
tfs star

First of all, thank heavens my post wasn't erased I accidentally left the page before I hit submit reply... Phew...

Quote:

eizhowa, sorry about your blazer--what happened?? are you having a funeral?
Of course, and you are all invited

It got a mystic dark stain on the front that would go away I doubt a cleaner would be able to do much about it (it has probably been there since pre-september...), and frankly I'd rather find myself a jacket that will be worth taking to the cleaner Like I mentioned, the quality of the jacket was only so and so, it was my tailor who made it a nice jacket.

I did find some nice ones at theoutnets clearance sale, (I pinned one on my Wishlist tfs board(http://pinterest.com/eizhowa/wishlist-tfs/)) but it said "shoulder pads" in both the descriptions and that scared me away. I have very delicate shoulders and shoulder-pads look ridiculous on me

I am not sure what material to look for. Do any of you have any experience with fabrics and which ones are easier to maintain? My previous one had a very smooth surface, which I think made the stain more obvious (even though it was tiny!). It is so cold here I could probably do a thin wool, but also linens/cottons/silk-blends.

I don't really care if it wrinkles, because I just hang my clothes in the shower the night before and let the steam do the work

I think I will try to keep the price below 200USD/EURO before tax. White clothes are too much of a risk to spend a fortune

Betina: I would love to have my clothes hanging on a rack like that. Makes it easier to see what your color scheme is/what you are working with. My wardrobe is so dark, but I haven't the Floorspace to do what you have done. But some day...

21-03-2013
front row

I think most, if not all, blazers and coats have shoulder pads just to give them some structure?

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe